Can someone redpill me on engine oil? Does it make any difference performance wise to go from 5w to 0w or 10w...

Can someone redpill me on engine oil? Does it make any difference performance wise to go from 5w to 0w or 10w? Does it last longer? Also what about the quality does that matter?

if you drive an old rustbucket and think you can pour in 5 or 0w then you will have fun with lots of oil leaking

>redpill
>picture of teenage girl

sage in all fields, lurk more before posting.

sure thinner can make more power, it takes energy to stir it around. if your car has an oil cooler, 5w30 is fine for anything.

Can't use 0w if you have a breather or crankcase vent because it's weightless, it will float away if your engine isn't completely sealed.

The numbers refer to the amount of slaves that died drilling the oil.

Buy lower number oil so their deaths do not weigh on your conscience. It's called being environmentally friendly

>drive rusty old BMW
>use 0W-40
>no oil leaks anywhere
Thanks germany

Would you prefer a fucking man you faggot fuck

Yes.

wew lad come out of the closet already

Thinner oil cools better

Bigger deal is if you're using synthetic or not. Oil weight doesn't tell the whole tale ie: Pennzoil synthetic 5w30 is thinner than some 5w20 under normal use.

It's pretty much always better to use 0w over 5w as even 0w is not light enough for optimal running viscosity in 40'c summer on cold starts, but it's not really worth going out of your way to pay much extra for. I always grab 0w when I can but if it's $10 more fuck that shit 5w is going in.

That has more to do with the second number and if it's synthetic or not. 0w40 will generally leak less than 10w30, but 0w is always synthetic. If running synthetic leaks it probably cleaned sludge out that was clogging a leak from conventional oil.

>tfw this girl only dates black guys

Feels bad man

16 years old oil

Use or no

And how do you know that?

Everyone knows white females are only attracted the black males

Okay go back to /b/ with this BBC fantasy bullshit

kek

Kek triggered lil white boy angery that superior African American men are taking his women

>mfw my mixed son will impregnate your white daughter

why are white guys so insecure? must be the small penises

Use what the manufacturer tells you to use, you imbecile.

I'm under the impression that oil degrades into water, acid, and sludge over time, and than 16 years is well over the amount of time needed for that to happen.

5w is just it's viscosity when the engines cold. So, no, unless you race your car 20 minutes after you start it, it make no difference in the performance. Only affects how easy it is to start the car.

The fact that nobody has stated this commonly known trivia is 100% proof that this board is full of unironic busriders.

>tldr: second number is more important for performance

>My wife's mixed race son will impregnate your white daughter
ftfy

Aw, looks like we hurt the wittle faggots feelings, guys.

Not totally true if you modify the engine or the engine is loose as fuck.

>imbecile
U wot m8?

Kek another triggered whitey

The numbers refer to "thickness", which correlates to but isn't the same as viscosity. Higher numbers are thicker, so at any given temperature, a straight 30 weight oil will be more viscous than a straight 20. The *W number is the "winter weight", which refers to thickness at cold temperatures. A 5W-30 oil will be thinner than a 10W-30 when the engine is cold, but performs the same once it's warmed up.

When selecting oil, you want a 0w-* or 5w-* (0 works differently than other numbers, it's closer to a 5 than the term would imply), and between 20 and 40 for the main weight depending on the age.

So go with a 0w-10 for a freshly rebuilt engine, or a 0w-40 or something that's getting on in years and drinks thinner oils.