What's the craziest car you've driven in snow?

With the snow coming, let's discuss the times you had to drive in snow in a vehicle that didn't work well in snow.

>what were you driving?
>how did you deal with it? Chains? Spinning out? Ditching car?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=JpqdrYSQ2So
youtube.com/watch?v=7OKhL1gjLjY
youtu.be/71Rvw93WGEc
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

>Miata
>skidded into another miata and killed the other driver
>set it on fire and never told a soul

300zx Turbo w/ wet slicks
Not terrible. Spun tires in snow, had no problem with ice, turning and stopping wasn't fucked, only acceleration. Did 5 over the whole time.
>snow tires
Kek, never.
>chains
Illegal here
>abandon car
I'm not getting spooked that easily
>spin out
Drifting is second instinct to me, and it can and WILL save your ass if you learn it. Even if I don't like to drift my cars, it has saved my ass in bad conditions a few times.

2001 bmw 330ci rear wheel of course. live in canada so balls to the wall just took it sideways through every left and made it home.

miata on summers. No one can drive in the south in the snow so I basically get a huge playground

everytime i see a yellow vette

everytime

2013 FR-S with worn out all seasons through 4 inches of snow, tried to go get my parent's 4WD because I needed to do running around that day but grossly underestimated how much snow there was, had to correct for fishtailing 90% of the time but I made it to my destination

>S2000 on summer tires
Got caught at work when snow started to fall, not a ton of snow but enough to cover the roads.
Butt was puckered so tight the 20 mile trip home because every time I braked or turned the wheel in the slightest I would lose all traction.

>itt stupid burgers looking ignoring the fact that winter tires exist

GMC Savana 3500. Had to drive 120 miles in a snow storm.

>tfw rear tires aired up to 80 psi, hard as a rock

there's a large band of the US that gets snow so infrequently that it's not worth the money to buy snow tires

Were still here after decades of driving in winter without them.

The guys at work insist on doing this too and wonder why the van is constantly getting stuck and all over the place.

Winter tires not for snow only. In cold weather they keep softness providing much better grip than summer tires.

they wear like crazy and frankly most of the south only gets snow for a short time, then it's mostly ice

Surprisingly enough winter tires are good on ice too. I was able to drive up the stream of frozen river with my studless bridgestones. Thread life is around two - three winters.

06 GT on bald radials. Was not fun. Couldn't move anywhere.

Yeah it wasn't my vehicle, it was the work van. I didn't want to go out but my boss pretty much forced me to go. I just went slow and everything was fine, although it was pretty sketch

My former 2006 STi with Blizzaks.

Everything was AMAZING except for braking.

I drove my 63 Nova through a winter in Wyoming with 185/70R13 summer tires. Never crashed or went off the road, overshot some stop signs when it was really icy but not really a big problem in a state where there are 3x more antelope than people, fairly difficult to crash into another road user. This was in Laramie where half the residents are from out of state, was hilarious when it iced over since you had plenty of college age people from CA, FL, AZ, TX, etc. driving fast cars with summer tires, the first time it iced over I heard a weird sound, looked out my window, it was a catfish Camaro going down the road at a 90 degree angle at 2mph, slid quite a ways then slowly bumped into a parked car.

All in all I had more of a problem not having a working defroster, when you don't expect to ever have any traction whatsoever there are no surprises, overconfidence is what causes crashes in the snow/ice

10+ years old shitty Chevrolet Optra with winter tires that barely had any thread left, and no rear brakes or hand brake (stuck in rust). All you have to do is drive carefully.

Drove my 99 Camaro SS vert from ft Meade to southern mass through a snowstorm the entire 11 hour drive. Brand new kumho exsta's and a fresh 9 inch rear( hit a sewer cap and upgraded the rear from the warranty payout.). Had a great time passing idiots spun around the highway, etc.

Worst time ever.. 89 iroc w/ worn out clutch packs in the rear, peg legging it everywhere in the snow

currently own a 2005 WRX on some Federals, can confirm that I have rarely had this much fun in a car during winter
also own an ae86 that gets stuck on speed bumps when it snows

if you don't run winter tires, you live someplace that doesn't get actual winter. fuck you, an inch or two dusting isn't fucking snow, don't talk shit.

300whp 240sx on nitto nt05 over a mountain pass. Good thing I had a friend to push me once we inevitably got stuck.

405rwhp 335i I took snowboarding. Made it there okay, but I left a few hours after the plows, so it was black ice and terror for me. Just went really slow and had my shotgun coaching me since he was a NYer.

I have driven my c6 in the snow and ice with summer performance tires plenty of times. Managed fine with throttle management and early shifts into higher gears.

My built ws6 was a lot harder to manage.

Viper GTS 92' with a spare rear tire in a blizzard.
Hooning was off the question, staying alive was top priority.

>Drifting is second instinct to me, and it can and WILL save your ass
Counter steer will save your ass
Kys weab, youre full of bullshit

Drive a RWD Conquest through a few Utah winters. Not so bad. I never put anything but all-season tires on. I got stuck a few times after poorly thought-out parking locations, but I always found someone to help me push it out. Once you're on the actual roads it's no problem provided you're not completely retarded.

S13 with bald tires and a welded diff at 70mph on I-65.

Went to see friends, came back outside and oh shit there's snow. Terrible experience.

What is snow?

It's a white people thing.

Shit, I'M white.

Nice try, sandnigger.

Is this canon?

please no more the mere silhouette of this fucking image is burned into my mind

Yup, its official storyline.

isnt there guys in Japan that drive their F40 in the snow mountains with chain tires?

There are a lot of places in the world where people drive 4x4 with chains in snow mountains
youtube.com/watch?v=JpqdrYSQ2So
youtube.com/watch?v=7OKhL1gjLjY

Mercedes 190E with a sintered clutch and open diff. I got stuck almost everywhere even with winter tires. Later I swapped the $50 sintered clutch for an actual clutch and installed a limited-slip differential and didn't get stuck anymore.

Some people are quite brave.

youtu.be/71Rvw93WGEc

www.thingsthatdidn'thappenfor$400.com

>it only snows in japan!
i swear being a weeb is a mental disorder

Yes there was a whole story about it. I think Speedhunters did the story not sure.

>ask a question about a car
>the car happens to be owned by a guy in japan who drives it in the winter
>"THIS GUY SAYS IT ONLY SNOWS IN JAPAN"
Wut? Are you sure you're not the one with the mental disorder?

>wet slicks
I don't think you know what that means.

From someone who has actually driven on slicks, the smallest amount of water will immediately eject you from the track. It's not "drifting" it can't be controlled you will literally just snap off the track without any warning.

>turning and stopping wasn't fucked, only acceleration
turning and stopping are acceleration you nitwit. any change in velocity is acceleration. the direction it's happening is meaningless to the physical world.

Let's face it.. your experience of driving is limited to when your mom will let you drive her camry to the grocery store.

>surprise fucking snowstorm in march
>I'm in a Datsun G35 Coupe 6MT with summer tires
>I'm 25.2 miles from home

Let the games begin.

I thought frosty was supposed to still be in prison for trafficking. I suppose he could have gotten out on good behavior, (fellating prison guards).

>With the snow coming
What? It's march, spring is just around the corner

Sadly the Northeast US is getting a monster Noreaster

>living in a place where it snows
Shiggydiggy
I drive my miata top down from february to november.

Bet your bf loves when people drive past and get to watch him sucking your dick year round.

>wet slicks

RWD RAM with no weight in the back and all-seasons

Didnt deal, opted to just wait for buddy to get back and use his Merc

Never driven anything that didnt get me where I needed to be if it had decent tires

Car thieves could have a field day if they brought chains with them and slapped them on cars that were left on the side of the road.

I think they'd end up chaining themselves to the wheels when trying to figure out how to put them on.

I went to Arkansas in a GTO, for some reason forgot about mountains, only remembered to bring emergency coolant. Foot of snow through a lot of arizona. No chains, drove like an idiot and had fun sliding everywhere. Tore off rear bumper hitting too much snow.

> thread life
why the fuck do people do this
it's TREAD

Who in the US drives a Ferrari F40 in the snowy mountains?

I drive my third gen Camaro in the winter, I use chains and pray that I never skid. I wish I was joking.

I want to move to california where there is no snow :( fuck this shit

Short sentence buddy. I was released on February 21st.

somehow I managed to get out without sucking any dicks too - very disappointing, I know.

My first car was a 67 Impala SS. It had a crazy stall converter, so just to get going was a challenge. The four wheel drum brakes made stopping just as adventurous.

STOP

Wasn't me driving but I rode with my brother in his Mustang with summer tires on the front and drag radials on the rear. Also no ABS or traction control
>coming up to bridge
>left lane has traffic backed up
>moves into right lane and begins accelerating
>as we rech the top of the bridge we see why everyone was in the left lane. someone crashed in the right lane and there were police cars stopped with their lights on
>he hits his brakes
>suddenly remember that bridges freeze before the roadway
>immediately begin skidding off to the right
>he's mumbling shit shit shit the whole time
>get within a few inches of guardrail
>reach end of bridge back onto solid ground and snap back over
>brake and get in left lane
should have known it was a bad idea from the start

>hellcat with summer tires
>just took it around the block because theyve been sitting all winter and needed to be moved for snow removal
>took the black key, still spooky af, but with traction control it wasnt to bad
>almost hektik skidd'd into a curb

>conquest

Don't you mean Mitsubishi Starion?

1984 RX-7. Actually didn't have any problems myself. We had a major snowstorm hit Seattle in the afternoon. Radio reports had traffic jams and cars abandoned on all the freeways. I hung out at the gym and coffee shop after work and hit the road at about 7PM. Drove about 20 miles home with no trouble. Laughing at all the stalled cars. Made it to my driveway and the snow was so deep the hood turned into a snow shovel and stopped me. Had the 4x4 parked in the driveway, so I hooked up a pulley in the garage and winched the Mazda inside. So, I was stopped 30 feet short of my destination.