E34, 518i - should I go for it?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=HPCgr0NmiB4
youtube.com/watch?v=jlqVQB50nc4
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

Fuck no. These cars were anemic in 520i guise, I couldn't imagine driving one with a 4 cylinder.

Get a 525i AT LEAST, preferably a 535i or a 540i.

318is were slower than Civics in their day. I can't imagine how slow that bitch would be given how heavy the E34's were.

that's unfortunate. it looks really well maintained.

LOOK AT THAT POWERBLOCK

comfy

0-140km/h
youtube.com/watch?v=HPCgr0NmiB4

If it is cheap enough you can still buy it, but don't expect to go fast.

If you want to go fast it will be cheaper to buy another E34 with a bigger engine straight from off the bat.

that looks so mint. great base for a project

that varta battery is worth more than the entire car

also

>4cyl 1.8l

fucking kek

you dont see e34's in a condition so good anymore
an e34 540i in this condition would cost about 10-15k

If you plan to swap it sure. I drive a 316i E36 so I imagine a 518i will be even slower or just as slow. I drive with pedal to the metal at all times and shift at 3.5k to keep up with traffic.

This. The absolute only reason anyone should be looking at one of these is if they had a tatty 535i and needed a new home for the drivetrain.

E34's are comfy as fuck, however they are all slow except for the very top end models.

I cannot overstate how comfy they are, i literally slept in my drivers seat for a weekend in the middle of a fucking field and i felt fine.

Hör nicht auf die ganzen US-amerikanischen Heulsusen hier, die für den Beschleunigungsstreifen und um auf 130 zu kommen mehr als 300PS brauchen.
Wenn du ein bequemes Langstreckenfahrzeug haben willst, ist das ein guter Anfang.

Get a 530i, 535i or 540i.
Those are the only ones worth anything.
Pic related is my 530iT

Exactly... They're 10-15k more car than this shitty one.

Never get a big car with a small engine.

I don't get all the whining ITT. I'd say the OP will be fine with it if he isn't a fucking boiracer.

You can clearly see in the car goes from 0 to 60 in about 10 to 11seconds which was completely OK for an euro barge of that era (don't forget, at that time there was also the 200D Mercedes that needed 20 fucking seconds to get to 60mph).

All you Burgers don't know how good you have it with your V8s in literally everything and probably even in toasters.

> I don't get all the whining ITT. I'd say the OP will be fine with it if he isn't a fucking boiracer.
You so stupid. 113hp in a 3500lb car is unacceptable
I'd say the 200hp ones are slow

>u dum
>my opinion are facts

Hint: Not everyone is a fucking bench racer

I'm not benchracing you fucking idiot. Power is necessary in any car. There's a reason they don't all use lawnmower engines.

>Power is necessary in any car.
And it is sufficient to move this pile.
Grow up, boiracer faggot.

sure, these are decent cars and the M40 block is good enough for keeping up with modern day traffic, slow but STRONK

Those 1.8l engines seem to really be bulletproof. I gave it a quick look and found DOZENS of these 518 with way over 350k km on the clock. Many even with way over 400k km.
That means if that lil shit can pull a big car like this for over 400k it can't be a bad engine.
Quite impressive for a small 1.8

BMW wise, i believe that the body is more important that the engine. Get a card that was well cared for and worry about the engine later, it can be easily swapped for almost anything.

>518i
>18i

Would that engine even move the car?

ITT: Pampered Burgers.

LOOK AT THIS. This is flatout 0-100km/h (60mph) in a Mercedes 200D.

youtube.com/watch?v=jlqVQB50nc4

The 518i is a fucking rocket compared to this and people still managed to live their daily lives with a car like that.

I had the e36 318i with the m40b18, bought at 140K, only thing i did was change the sparkplugs as soon as i bought it and change the oil every 8000 km, sold it at 190K and it is still running

oh while i'm at it, look out for a ticking noise, those are the valve tappets they tend to wear out if there was any oil starvation.

Also make sure to rev the engine over 5500 rpm, if it can't do that it has a worn cam.

Those are the only 2 issues this engine could have.

calculate the price for new shocks all around because it'll probably need those