/egg/ - Engineering Games General - Formerly /svgg/

Orky Edition
Previous jej: The thread is dedicated to all games about building machines and systems out of blocks, in space or otherwise. Also, all these games are ded. Only ded games may join, otherwise they must have their own thread.

WebM for physicians:
>gitgud.io/nixx/WebMConverter.git

List of currently known and vaguely not as dead /egg/ games (this list is not fully inclusive and if you think a game might belong here, feel free to ask):
>Algodoo
>Avorion
>Besiege
>Chode - Children of Ded Earf
>Empyrion - Galactic Survival
>Factorio
>From the Depths
>Homebrew - Vehicle Sandbox
>Infinifactory
>KOHCTPYKTOP: Engineer of the People
>Machinecraft
>REM
>Robocraft
>Robot Arena 2
>Scrap Mechanic
>SHENZEN I/O
>Space Engineers
>StarMade

Games that are definitely not /egg/:
>Minecraft
>The general that quite literally cannot be named. The Mexican scam artist one. With the shitposters. Fuck off.
>Hearthstone, found in the hearthstone general, /hsg/, not in this general.

Information about these games, such as where to get them if they're not on steam, trailers, /egg/ conquered/hosted servers, and other shit can be found in this pad:
public.etherpad-mozilla.org/p/eggames

OP pad for future /ded/s
public.etherpad-mozilla.org/p/eggop

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=aXQ2lO3ieBA
i.imgur.com/E1OYHhZ.png
youtube.com/watch?v=Pag7fSgoiz0
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

I like the Arma HIND of the other thread's OP.

m-maybe we can use it next time

Third for rangebans weebs and kerbniggers (and stormfags//pol/cucks too)

4th for following global rules 6 and 8.

fifth for mars mission

Eh, it looks okay I guess.
I preferred it when everything was ORANGE TRANSPARENT CHAINSAWS

7st For gas the kerbs

9th for engineering Space Voxels and Lego in harmony.

Man why do all these spaceship games only give you piddly little machineguns and rockets? I mean shit, Avorion looks like it'd be perfect for giant spinal railguns or colossal broadside banks of missiles/lasers, but nope it's all tiny turrets.

Unless there's some convoluted way to get block-sized weapons that I missed.

I know this is the wrong thread for ArmA stuff, but holy fuck this thing flies like a pig in hover mode, and that's assuming it doesn't just randomly decide to go to forward flight mode on you for no reason

Spengies almost had a mass driver mod, but last I checked the modder gave up on it halfway through. It fires now but it's weak as piss from what I recall.

i still miss the osprey from arma 2

Asians really don't give a fuck about Hitler. There is in fact a Malaysian film director named Mohammad Hitler.

Copy pasta-ing from old bread.

Just finished the hull of my new airship. 20 guns in 4 turrets firing pen-depth 1018mm APS rounds.

Need to build turret emplacements for secondaries, though. I'm currently thinking a pair of CIWS turrets per side, as well as a couple of small rapid fire guns to swat squirrels.

I think the front looks kind of weird, I tried to make a trireme style front but it clashes with the sci fi looking rear.

Opinions?

NATO got one in the Apex DLC. That dropship is the CSAT counterpart, and holy fuck NATO really got the better of the two

Very few Asian countries are even tangentially connected to the Germans around WW2, so they really don't have to give a shit. He's just another famous dude to them.

Flip the bow upside down and you might be getting somewhere.

which game do you guys suggest for someone new to these types of games?

Dwarf Fortress

Starmade and From the Depths are the only games that lets you build totally custom weapons.

You can just keep adding more and more blocks to the guns to make them stronger and stronger, but then because its totally custom build guns and turrets, you also have to armor them and build the joints in the turret and everything else yourself.

And in both cases it results in people just making whatever over powered as fuck weapons can be made.

Starmade, From The Depths, Children of a Dead Earth, Besiege. Basically anything that doesn't give you total freedom. The challenge will get you skilled enough to have fun without a purpose.

>the modder gave up on it halfway through
Scratch that, he dropped Spengies modding in its entirety.

>And in both cases it results in people just making whatever over powered as fuck weapons can be made.

I've been saying this for months, but some anons always bitch about it. Glad to see someone else isn't retarded.

The problem is that it's very hard to give people freedom of doing whatever they want but somehow limit the minmaxed designs.

What is the most /egg/ tank? I vote the Tiger Porsche.

I see nothing actually wrong with it.
Heck, if Chode manages to fix the last kinks in the integrator and someone successfully transplant the everything into some kind of RTS/grand strategy game the whole thing effectively balance itself since the most powerful guns/lasers/ships would, most likely, require higher quality materials and processes.
At that point you go for what is cost effective since if it takes you 50 years and a Forge World to refine the various stuff at the required purity and machine it to the exact tolerances you'd end up being swarmed by not as individually powerful yet much faster and cheaper to make crafts

Can anyone share the latest abortion build?

Tsar.
Or that five turreted Russian monstrosity.
Or breakthrough tank proposed by Stanisław Lem. that one comes with fancy AA turrent in shape of tumor.

Why is the prez such a semen demon?

Dunno, but those schoolships are /egg/ tier

ratte

Landkreuzer P. 1000 Ratte

Ratmind

I tried warping for the first time, whatever it's called. I selected some coordinates in my map, let my navigation computer calculate, and jumped.

Every since then, my ship has been zero energy, and when i go to ship build screen and look at my stats, my energy is now WAY out of wack. I used to be making surplus energy, but now my ship is consuming twice as much as it makes.

I tried exiting and reloading my world and it's still stuck like this. I've gone through some warp portals too. Is there something that's sucking away all my energy constantly?

sure it's not just your warp drive recharging?

The obvious solution being tolerances in the material, instead of making all material magic unbreakable perfectly manufactured nonsense. Too bad that would probably drive away normies even more so.

Perhaps if the breach just had a chance of blowing up that exponentially grew based on pressure required to fire the weapon. 0.001% to start, 100% on the retarded end of the scale.

This user sort of gets it.

Its why I want a game that give you all the basic weapon that are properly balanced by the devs/modders/whoever the fuck, and then people can take thos epremade weapons and encase them in blocks in their ships to make ship weapons, or build those premade weapons into customs built turrets.

Like say I have a "small railgun" weapon thats 1x1x5 blocks, and I can then take that an put it on my ship or stick it on a turret. And then theres the "medium railgun" thats 2x2x10, and the "large railgun" thats 4x4x15, with each larger one doing more damage and drawing more power.

Yup I guess that was it. It took a long time... Probably over 5 minutes

>MAUS turret on the back
hue

but then you enter the realm of minmaxing the lazor placement and we're made full circle in two steps

MBT-70 easily
>Designed with imperial and metric components, the absolute madmen
>Lots of rotating and moving parts, including a rotating driver seat that just led to motion sickness
>Lots of feature creep
>Overpriced, leading to buyer's remorse
>Never left early access

You are like a little baby.
Watch this
youtube.com/watch?v=aXQ2lO3ieBA

Also comes in extra ded flavor

>Its why I want a game that give you all the basic weapon that are properly balanced by the devs/modders/whoever the fuck, and then people can take thos epremade weapons and encase them in blocks in their ships to make ship weapons, or build those premade weapons into customs built turrets.

On it, user.

Specifically, pre-made weapons that you mount on custom turrets with custom feed systems.

Is there a way to quickly swap the turrets on my ship?

It's kinda annoying. I just landed in an area with lots of ore and I want to mine it, so I want to swap out most of my guns for mining lasers but that means I need to go into build mode, take off the turrets, put on the lasers, swap the system upgrades etc...

is there a fast way to do this or should i just not be doing this?

>muh bradly memes
As someone who actually operated one, it faired a hell of a lot better than Srykers and MRAP's.

>it faired a hell of a lot better than Srykers and MRAP's.

Jesus fucking christ how horrifying. Got green?

>Got green
Huh?

My ship has 3 system upgrade slots right now and is about .15 volume units. I unlock the 4th slot at .8 volume units. Is investing .65 more volume units, which will result in my ship being over 4x its size right now, worth it for a 4th system upgrade slot?

pls tell me you won't need an account for when LAN multiplayer is added, and you can change your name from a console or something

After going through development hell, didn't the Bradley get practically overhauled into a halfway decent vehicle?

> when LAN multiplayer is added
Who said anything about LAN? CHANGING YOUR NAME? WTF user

Kidding, that shit is easy. You don't actually use your email as your username, you set a custom name when you make the account that can be changed. LAN won't be a thing we can just toss in instantly, given we're using Photon, but its not impossible.

Green text. Stories, user.

Not that user, but I have never once heard someone asking for "green" when looking for greentext adventures.

Hold on doing something in game.

We must come from different times and boards, user.

Take your time.

>got green

Ive been on 4chin since its inception and Ive never heard this term before. You arent from around here.

maybe he's trying to coin a neologism

Lewd

>You arent from around here.
Not this board specifically, no. Only showed up on Veeky Forums over the last two years.

i.imgur.com/E1OYHhZ.png

Think about it. In order for "I seriously hope you guys don't do this" to evolve into "shiggy diggy", a single user had to say "shiggy diggy" first.

I know this because I'm the first person to say manpatrick.

I propose we call them "Greenies", so I can ask for silly greenies about spengies to entertain me while I eat my tendies from my momies.

>momies

noice

First ones are from basic
>night driving training
>waiting in the dismount seat, trying to catch some sleep because last in line to drive
>current guy gets done
>he forgets to put on the parking brake (m3's don't have actual brakes)
>we stopped on a slope to change out drivers
>suddenly, we're moving backwards
>with both the old driver and new one still on top of the m3
>latch shut closed and neither guy can't get it open
>had to throw myself into the driver's hole just to get the brake on
>ripped pants leg from thigh down do to bolts and stuff
>was 3 meters from a 70% grade slope
It was a A2 variant. The night vision optics for the driver had to be manually mounted. The mount was so old and worn, any slight bump would cause it to fall on your dick. A3 had integrated NV.

A week or so later (basic was ten years ago for me, so shit's a bit fuzzy).
>training to fire the main gun on m3
>my turn to shoot
>fired and hit the hinge of the target
>target goes down for a split second
>it suddenly goes up
>target flies off it's hinges
>somehow started a fire

>spontaneous hinge fires

On boards greentext is used often in stories /mlp/
One will see the writer update the general with their new "Green" short for greentext and the update to the story.
TiM fag probably, about 5 of them crossboard between egg and TiM last we polled.

My god man, you were blessed with CLANG in basic.

actually /k/, Veeky Forums, /g/, /b/ and /mlp/. Some mlp threads are even somewhat decent. Especially the ones where the main focus is an OC of the Thing from John Carpenter's movie. Haven't seen one in weeks.

My first deployment was the only deployment were we took our M3's with us.
>platoon day off from mission
>had to do inventory on m3
>included main gun, which had it's s/n on the non exposed side of the receiver
>mid day, have ate yet and woken up to do this (been running night ops for months now)
>alone because we parked our vehicles in between troop tac and chu's
>did arm and upper body burn out the night prior
>start to disassemble the gun
>hand slipped
>suddenly pinned in between the upper receiver and gun mount
>been sweating in 120+ temp
>65lbs of metal on fore arm
>turret space is smaller than a portashitter, so leverage is non existent
>stuck in there for an hour before sweated enough to slip out
>literally thought i was going to die from heat stroke/dehydration
Downed 8 liter of water in an hour just to stave off the cramps.

>towards the end of deployment
>we get a bunch of new dicks
>get promoted to head dismount (sleep all mission in the back of brads basically)
>sleeping peacefully
>suddenly end up in drivers hole
>sandwiched between driver's seat and medic
>retard drove us down a 80 slope
>front end hits the bottom at around 20 mph
>almost flips forward
>luckily gunner had the turret facing to the side, so no damage tot he gun
>either the medic or myself took out the rear driver display
everyone was concussed

>>either the medic or myself took out the rear driver display
With your head?

Aren't those things made with the souls of buried nokias?

Prior to my first deployment:
>doing yearly three week field training
>get on everyone's case to organize heir bags and shit because live rounds and grenades (crew members have authority over dismounts basically)
>no one listens
>go out on 'mission'
>have to drop ramp to kick out dismounts and raise it
>some one knocks over someone's bag
>had live smoke grenade in it
>suddenly fire
>everyone's shit is now fire in the back
>first time anyone had to use the internal fire exhaust system in the troop anything that was not burned was dyed red due to smoke grenade
>never got my assault bag replaced in all my 6 years in

>at ntc
>first mission, up for 24+ hours
>3 am, foot of the rocky mountains, over looking las vagas practically
>driving all day/night
>suddenly short stop
>must have been 2 minutes in before all 5 of us fell asleep
>15 mins passed with the rest of the troop trying to hail us on comms
>the co decides to climb up on the hull
>I hear my name and I floor it for what ever reason
>with the co still on the top
In my defense, I thought I heard the word go.
Also, during these field training, I would block off the driver's hole for privacy purposes and fap to doujins I had saved on my phone.

You know those black nvg plates on the front of soldier's helmets? Both of us broke ours during that. We were seeing stars for a few hours. I think the medic had a fat lip. I had a bloody nose.

I should clear up, the smoke grenade that was in the bag got knocked over and wedged in between the ramp and hull. When I raised the ramp, the primer got set off.

>not using the massive mac cannon OP version
It's like you want your planet to be glassed, fucking xenophile.

Manufactured turrets are so broken it's not funny, I feel like cheating.

thanks for these.

Oh during my time as the squadron's Major's driver, my gunner over heated the co-axle M240. When it can time to clear it (ie pull out the bolt and piston assembly), he ended up dropping it due to how hot it was. When it hit the floor of the turret, it ended up breaking into three pieces. Last personal story, I guess.

>Also, during these field training, I would block off the driver's hole for privacy purposes and fap to doujins I had saved on my phone.

Where's the money, Squad?

squad is actually a sect of the cartel

>removed crank arms
>removed bottom bracket and installed new one
>all parts of assembly (bar BB bolts) smeared with MoS2 grease
>noise persists
I guess it's time to disassemble the pedals then.

What happened to the co?

Why do I see so many people make mining ships in spengoes with drills pointing forward, when it would be so much better to point them downward?
Am I missing something here?

He hung on for dear life.
I do both.

Is there any benefit to pointing them forward?

On planets, yes. Makes it so you don't have to build more thrusters in every direction.

Oh, yes, what you're describing is what I mean by 'downward'
Is there any benefit to doing it the other way?

Yes so you don't have to build thrusters in every direction and so you can mine laterally.

where
resources
bitch

>things everyone learned during the devwalkout

Have anyone tried astroneer?

According to all known laws of aviation, there is no way a Xian should be able to fly. Its rotors are too small to get its fat little body off the ground. The Xian, of course, flies anyway because Xians don’t care what humans think is impossible.

Yeah this is my one complaint about Avorion. End game is basically just slapping a ton of turrets on and calling it good. It's already ridiculously easy to become overpowered for an area, might as well let us go full on throwing asteroids from our ship shaped railgun.

They should have went these designs: youtube.com/watch?v=Pag7fSgoiz0
Even back when I was still in the army, I was telling faggots this would be the future of heli designs.

>HTOL helicopter

what will they think of next

>forward
>downward
With terms used this ambiguously, I bet you also other verbal manure such as 'efficiency'.
Unless you can be more specific, the choice of downwards or forwards drills is entirely arbitrary.

Sexy