How the fuck does manual work?

How the fuck does manual work?

Do I move up a number every time I want to increase the range I want my car's RPM to be at, or do I go down a number?

This shit doesn't make any sense.

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=waeOibnmuJk
youtube.com/watch?v=5SQBBGb7GPI
youtube.com/watch?v=MhuLnE6iJSc
youtube.com/watch?v=bgGgH0j0KQE
fast-files.com/getfile.aspx?file=134263
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

Its the same way your automatic 6 speed works

you drive the car, the more gas you put into it the higher the RPM's go. When the car (or you) sees that its time to shift it shifts up to the next gear and the RPM's drop. Its literally backwards for slowing down

user, it still doesn't really make sense.

What happens when you get to 5th gear and you want to keep increasing the RPM? Where do you go from there?

So if I start off on 1st gear, and I'm driving and the RPM gets to say 3k, do I have to move it up to 2nd gear? What happens if I leave it at 1st gear? Will the RPM just keep going up, or will it stay on 3k? Do I have to move it so second gear for it to go up to 4k RPM so that my car can go faster?

When you reach maximum speed you will be reaching maximum revs in 5th gear, so what's the problem here?

The most important thing to remember is that R is Racemode. You have to be at least in 4th gear before the Racemode servo kicks in. It's an old racers trick I learned at the booneville flats

If you don't switch the gear after reaching maximum revs, you will stay at the same speed, and if you do that, you will grip the engine.

>What happens when you get to 5th gear and you want to keep increasing the RPM? Where do you go from there?
You don't, its the same as an automatic car. You're at the end of your transmission and the car simply can't go any faster.

>So if I start off on 1st gear, and I'm driving and the RPM gets to say 3k, do I have to move it up to 2nd gear?
You can, you don't have to though. You can stay in 1st from 3krpm till 6 or 7 or where ever you hit your max depending on how hard you wanna run the car.

If you drive more conservative 1st to 3krpm, shift up to 2nd then drive to 3krpm, shift up, It depends on the car and your driving performance

Wait, so each gear number isn't associated with a certain area of the tachometer?

So I can go up to the max RPM on 1st gear, and I can be at the minimum RPM on 5th gear?

The tachometer measures the speed the engine is running at. Your transmission converts that to power that it puts down the drive train and into your tires.

>So I can go up to the max RPM on 1st gear, and I can be at the minimum RPM on 5th gear?
that highly depends on your transmission and the length of the gears. I wouldn't jump from 1st to 5th like that risk stalling the car

Nigga the relationship between rpm and gears is the relationship between speed and gears.

In my S2000 it redlines (maximum rpm) at 9k. In first gear that's 40mph, if I upshift at 9k to second gear the rpm drops to 6k and I am still going at 40mph. If I were to not upshift at 9k in first gear I cannot go faster than 40mph. The transmission connects your engine to your drive shaft (basically to your wheels). You change gears to change your range of speed, not rpm. But generally in normal driving you want to be in the highest gear possible to make your rpm be at the lowest amount possible because it's quieter and you need less throttle (fuel) to maintain speed.

You want to be staying at about the same RPM until you're getting up to high speeds. That's what the gears are there to do; higher speeds at the same efficient RPM.
Most modern cars have an efficiency band that's separate from the power band where all the fun happens.
Control the engine RPMs with the throttle, use the clutch to change gears, and don't try to use all three pedals at once.

Unless you've got a tiny tiny engine, you should be changing at 2k MAX. First gear is standstill to ~10MPH, second is up to 20, third up to 40, fourth up to ~35, and 5th for efficient cruising at 35 and higher.
For power shifting, just lengthen the shifts and change up out of a gear once you're at 10MPH times the gear.

If your car hasn't got much torque, there is no 'minimum RPM' beyond where it fucking stalls.
I've been relearning all of it due to learning to ride a motorbike with absolutely no torque and barely any power either, and no rotating mass to absorb hesitation.
On the upside, no worries about fuel consumption either. 60MPG at top speed, higher for lower speeds. With the downside that the thing's range pretty much IS the MPG because of the tiny fuel tank.

>it doesnt make sense
it makes a lot of sense actually, but you're too retarded at present to understand it. stop claiming the system is broken and accept that you just dont understand it.

just get a Honda and redline it at all times and jump to any gear you want

You realize some cars didn't even have tachs back in the day

What the fuck? Do you not even know how a car works in the most basic way possible? Did you not even google it? An 8-year-old literally has more knowledge about engines and transmissions than you.

In simple terms:

An engine can rotate a shaft at a any RPM, which then goes into the transmission which changes the rotational speed (RPM) of that shaft to something else. The transmission can change this ratio to 5 or 6 different ratio's for example. For first gear, the rotations of the engine is reduced by the transmission to fewer rotations at the wheels so that the wheels have more torque. For sixth gear, the rotations of the engine is increased by the transmission to more rotations at the wheels for more speed.

The engine can vary its rotations endlessly, but the transmission only changes the ratio of the rotations between the engine and the wheels which ultimately propel the car. A car can go the exact same speed in first and second gear, but in first gear the engine will have to make more rotations to match this speed than in second gear.

The reason cars have multiple gears is because the RPM range of the engine (usually 0 to 7000) can't do all the work (like making a car go both 10mph and 80mph when in one gear). Because in order to make the car go from a stand still, a lot of torque is required, so the power of many rotations from the engine is converted to a few powerful rotations at the wheel. But in order to reach 80mph on the highway, the rotations from the engine is converted to a fuckton of rotations at the wheels.

>change gears at 2k MAX
Inb4 pretending to be retarded

This.

I know Veeky Forums is full of retards but people actually replying to OP is a new low.

eh my chevy sonic can shift at 2k at every gear and still drive just fine , only flaw is that at that point there is zero throttle response and any amount of throttle isnt going to accelerate the car any further, but it will hold normal driving speeds like that.

i prefer to shift around 2.5 to 3 though so i can still accelerate in current gear if needed

You can get any amount of RPM at any gear anytime you want just keep pressing the gas

Also you don't need any specific rpm value to increase the gear ( you need it, the car sync it automatically for you) just the appropriate speed

You shift your gears to change the range of the car SPEED

Of course if you are driving fast downshifting by one will peak your RPM for a brief period, you can jeep them high flattening the pedal this way but you are stressing your engine

If you still have problems understand ing, rent a mountain bike and take a steep hill

Captcha: speed Washington

Focus on speed mor than in revs.
Change when the RPM hits 3000 revs (depends of the car, but this is the standard). Put second gear when you reach 20 KM/H, put third gear when you reach 40 km/h, put fourth gear when you reach 60 hm/h, put fifth gear when you want to cruise on the highway at 90 km/h or more (til maximum speed of your car).

STOP MAKING THESE THREADS

One day, someone may actually need genuine guidance.

My first car was a manual transmission Chevy Cavalier with no tach. I learned to drive it completely by sound and feel

Seriously Veeky Forums was it really necessary to respond to him?

gotta be a troll

no single fucker is this stupid. not even niggers.

holly i hope this is bait

you niggers ever ride a bike with fucking gears?

it's like that

Wow some of you guys are super rude.

Anyways, to the other anons, thanks for explaining things to me.

you should learn knot tying and hang yourself.

>somebody asking questions about something they don't know anything about is bait

Wow, good job guys! You sure made our board look like a good place to seek advice for automotive related questions.

This just how the fuck do people not get this. Have they never ridden bikes?

If these are the kinds of questions you'd like to foster discussion about i think you should join the OP at that knot tying course

besides we have a whole fucking thread for stupid questions, as do many other boards, it shouldn't be that fucking hard to browse a bit before you post.

This is what happens when you're raised by a single mother

and they will sure as hell won't be coming here

Watch these

youtube.com/watch?v=waeOibnmuJk

youtube.com/watch?v=5SQBBGb7GPI

youtube.com/watch?v=MhuLnE6iJSc

Then get a Lenco.

It's the same as a bicycle with different speeds. The engine is like your legs only it doesn't stop turning, that's why there is a clutch to disengage the engine.

Guys, wait. At least in this thread we have the opprtunity to educate people instead of posting Nurburgring memes.

OP, I suggest you read a lot of Wikipedia articles about vehicle systems and how they work together. To start, try watching some Engineering Explained for a basic intro to transmissions:

youtube.com/watch?v=bgGgH0j0KQE

Let's put it this way - here's your road speed at 1500 rpm and 6000 rpm in each gear, for a hypothetical car:
1st gear: 2 - 25 mph
2nd gear: 7 - 55 mph
3rd gear: 15 - 80 mph
4th gear: 28 - 100 mph
5th gear: 40 - 140 mph

For normal, not-too-loud driving, you want to be in the 1500-3000 rpm range. That means you start in first and when you get to, say, 12mph you shift to 2nd. Then you get to 25mph and the engine starts getting loud and you shift up again.

Or if you're racing then you use the full rev range. Lower gears multiply torque to the wheels so they're faster - but once you hit redline (6000 rpm in this case) you have to shift up to bring the revs back down. Now you're in a higher gear that multiplies torque less so acceleration isn't as strong, but the gear will let you reach higher speeds.

You're a fuckin idiot. Read the OP along with the following questions. The manual transmission doesn't make sense because he doesn't understand the basic functions of the powertrain. You literally learn the basics of this getting your license.

have not enjoyed my read through of this thread

made this a few years ago, it´s mostly in german but there aren´t that many words in it altogether

Orange Cells are those which should be edited

fast-files.com/getfile.aspx?file=134263

oh and it´s metric ofc

This is an insult to people raised by single mothers.

RPM is your engine speed, not your wheel speed.

transmission does nothing but helps you play the minigame where you try and keep the big needle moving on the gauge that has numbers usually ranging from 1-9.
If needle drops it stops moving, if needle hits the end and starts a sound que (usually WRMWRMWRMWRMWRWM) you move the transmission handle up one number to advance to the next level.
Real good players can move to level 5 or even 6.
It's one of the oldest forms of car infontainment

>if you do that, you will grip the engine.

They invented this thing called rev limiter to prevent damage to the engine.

There is no difference in revving constantly at the limiter that revving at half of that. The engine simply wears faster and uses more fuel.
No gripping, no blowing up, no disasters.

lmao OP you retard