Hypermiling

Thoughts on hypermiling? Outside of driving techniques such as more coasting, what do you do in order to boost your mileage? Getting 19mpg/city in my Town Car right now.

It's not worth it. If you got a couple more mpg average it's only a few bucks difference per fill up. If you're driving know the interstate just go 65-70 and watch your mpg improve

>what do you do in order to boost your mileage?
1. Drive at speed limit in slow lane, leave cruise control on at all times

2. No objects are to be in your car except papers in glove box. Take out spare if you have AAA

3. AC on only on the highway. Windows down when around town.

>15 gallon tank
>move from 20mpg to 25mpg
>300 to 375 miles required before each fill up (not that we run out tanks to empty)
>effectively over 3 gallons of extra gas per full tank
>$2.20 per gallon of gas here
>saving between $6.60 and $7 per full tank

I guess it depends, on the highway I can understand since you might find those extra miles will really mean the difference between having to stop and not having to stop, as well as the difference between making it to the next gas station, or hitchhiking/calling AAA. In the city? I'd say you're fucked either way, so might as well enjoy driving.

Doesn't cruise control get lower mileage in the city?
>let the bumper rust out and remove the laces from your shoes for weight reduction

on frequent stop-go situations like city traffic and hilly roads, i believe i drive more efficiently than the cruise control, regarding downshifting.

on flat highway, he's a bit better according to the computer.

addendum to this:
starve yourself to Auschwitz levels, that way you weigh the least amount possible without fainting from lifting your arms

You're a retard if you think losing your 20lb spare tire will have any effect on your fuel economy

How bout you triple your savings by hitting the gym and losing an extra 40lbs

Does anyone have that Japanese picture of the grandma pushing a cart with aerodynamic shit being progressively added to her?

>saves $7 at fillup
>proceeds to spend that $7 on Taco Bell and Mountain dew or video games.

It doesn't fucking matter. You shouldn't be driving if you feel the need calculate fuel costs down to the cent. All your doing is wasting your time and other people's time.

I'd much rather put the hammer and get there 5 minutes quicker than sit around pussyfooting in traffic.

fuck you ass-hole

I used to treat it like a high score; seeing how I could get the best mileage. I'd try a certain tactic for an entire tank, see how it did (same commute each day). Then I'd switch and try something else. My only findings were:
>only warm your car up for about a minute in the winter (gas engines at least), more is just wasting fuel
>my car was best at 80-90kph, higher or lower produced worse results (87 was the magic number, tapered off SEVERELY at 95)
>making it short shift (back when I had an auto) did pretty much nothing
>moderate acceleration produced the best mileage
>brake as little as possible, obviously

However I moved to the city and fuck all of it. Mpgs are too inconsistent week to week, now there's no "game" and hypermiling is boring.

It really only pays dividends for long journeys, 250mi+. It's just a few simple guidelines

Drive at night if possible. Colder, denser air, less traffic.

Cruise control if possible, 55mph is the sweetspot for mpg for almost all cars. Treat the brake pedal like your mother's face, don't step on it if possible.

Also, overinflate your tires by about 5psi. It will result in harsher ride, but it definitely has an effect on lowering rolling resistance.

I got ~35mpg LA-SF in a Jag XJ doing this. It's pretty sweet to go 400 miles and still see the tank half full.

>driving like a granny for a few extra mpgs so he can save a couple bucks at the pump
Are you poor?

Hit a little too close to home?

>my car was best at 80-90kph, higher or lower produced worse results (87 was the magic number, tapered off SEVERELY at 95)
Can confirm. If I can hit that magic number, then I'm usually placed firmly on 1.8l/100km

On the road I commute on, of course.

I´m getting 70mpg in my 107 although I could get much more (non turbo gas engine)

Here are some things you might consider:

>driving without brakes
Instead of using your brakes, you coast down before you would have to use the brakes, this also reduce brake wear.
>drafting
Driving behind a semi reduces your aerodynamic drag, wich is the main factor when driving on a highway.
>pulse&glide
Accellerate to about 100km/h or 60mph and coast down to 80km/h or 50mph in you last gear.
>tire pressure
use a slightly higher pressure than your user anual reccomends, it will reduce rolling resistance.
>tire choice
Go with Prius discs instead of big fat drums for minimum rolling resistance and minimum aerodynamic drag.
>hubcaps
Go with flat ones like mooncaps for minimum air resistance.
>accelleration
Don´t feather the accelerator, go with 80% throttle and keep the rpm around maximum torque, your engine is most efficient there. (pic related)
>corners
Braking is for loosers, real hypermilers drive with almost squealing tires.
>maintainance
Only a healthy engine will have good mpg.

It will have a effect, but that will only be noticeable in city driving with constant stop&go when you have accellerate and brake all the time.
Also some people, like me, can´t loose 40lbs without almost killing themselfes.

Tried it. Saved 1 litre per 100kms. Not worth the fuckin effort. If you're that poor buy a bike or a Nissan micra

y

>1,8L/100km
3L Lupo?

You aren't gonna get a huge difference without making some serious modifications to your car. Probably the cheapest way would be thinner profile, lower rolling resistance tires, inflated to the highest safe pressure. If you have a newer turbo car you could get it tuned for less boost. Also weight reduction, but you would have to go pretty balls to the wall to make much difference as most are made with weight in mind nowadays. Strip everything out of the back and trunk, seats and all and you might be able to lose 2-300 lbs. Hell if it's a commuter shitbox get rid of the passenger seat as well. But without basically deconstructing your car the best way to save gas is to just get something that's good on gas in the first place. Prius' get fucking 40+ MPG regardless of how gay they are.

Picanto 1.2

It is a diesel isn´t it?

Nope, gas.

Fuck me sideways. Meant 2.8, not 1.8.

1,8L/100km would have been quite interesting, my moped can get that fuel economy, but a car...

Did you mod something?

Not at all. The road I drive to work on is very slightly downhill, with a 1.5km stretch where it goes up.
When I go home I take another road that also go slightly downhill, and end in a 2km stretch of going up.
All in all it's about 80km in total.

So 2,8L/100km on a slight downhill?

>Windows down when around town.
This removes aerodynamica so your mileage will go up

A better point is to anticipate far ahead. You can cut the gas a kilometer from an exit, or 500m from a junction

>saving $7 per tank
So that's what, $ 20 per month?

Thanks for the constructive criticism asshole
Are poor people worth less? Do they not deserve your time?

If you're going downhill you'll obviously have a very low, skewed mileage
Calculate the total average of the round trip for an accurate result
When I drive into my city the freeway goes downhill and I go from 120 km/h to 50 km/h by rolling. On that stretch I average about 0.0 L/100km

That should be the average. I took the 2.8l/100km from the "gas usage/km since last refill" screen on the desk computer.

In the town you drive so slow, that the increased aerodynamic drag is lower than the power your AC would need.

These screens usually show a lower fuel consumption than your car actualy needs.

Cruise control is bad for hills because the car doesn't start accelerating until its already going up the hill thus requiring more energy.
If you slowly accelerate prior to coming to the hill, you will use less fuel.

This whole AC on the highway thing is a bit here-say. Unless you put all four windows down whilst crusing at 60mph, AC will use more fuel. AC compressors take quite a lot power to even work.

Having said that, it mostly depends on the car/engine and engine load whilst travelling at highway speeds.

Yes.

Indeed, using your AC at low speeds will alway get you worse mpg, but you might get better mpg when you drive faster, like 80mph or something.

The most fuel efficient way is always a ice-vest.

Underrated

stupid. your kids wont remember the time you got 53 mpg bro.

i wouldn't recommend cruise control as it will accelerate/brake to maintain a steady speed so when going up hill don't mind losing a bit of speed just maintain your throttle in position and when going downhill just reduce throttle until you stop accelerating or maintain and pick up extra speed for a little time

Always filling with the cheapest shit tier gas (and with a rewards card) will achieve the same amount of money saved as hypermiling.

That would be $55 per month for me. I drive 60 miles to and from work everyday, on a 17 gallon tank, with 22 MPG without hypermiling.

Not when you drive 30 minutes and wait in line for 45 minutes for that "cheap gas"

Time=Money.

Fill up late at night

Maybe if you're close. I know people that live 2 minutes from a gas station but will drive 20 minutes to go get cheap gas. It's pretty retarded.

Yeah that is pretty strange.

But I go to the expensive gas station for the asian qt. that works there and that's pretty autistic too