>FAQ and What to Play

FAQ: pastebin.com/Q7K91Q34

What to Play?: pastebin.com/yfUKx35f

>Individual Game Pastas

pastebin.com/nXBycdgR

>Roguelike News:

Latest Infra Arcana build:
jii.moe/ry6i-QmPe.7z

New IVAN update: 0.5.8, adds a new dungeon, a new win condition, new god effects, new items and bugfixes:
github.com/Attnam/ivan/releases

Poschengband update to 5.0.5:
angband.oook.cz/forum/showthread.php?t=8223

Poschengband 5.05 competition:imp skillmaster:
angband.oook.cz/competition.php?showcompo=201

>/rlg/'s shared DCSS online account

User: rlgrobin
Password: ownfault (or "robin" on Xtahua)

previous character:

man that was pretty quick, there was some talk, I did some work for 45 minutes or so, came back and we were faulted. That's not even deadgenre material in my book...it's middle of a Tuesday, people should mostly be at school and work such that the board slows down, but I guess there are enough NEETs screeching at one another over League of Counterwatch in the other threads to drown stuff out.

important reminder

oh wait never mind we actually legitimately reached a full thread, fair enough. Didn't realize we were closing in on the limit.

hey /rlg/, post what your character looks like!

escape

are those sparkles

p. kawaii

what the h*ck is that
a cdda robit

>new ghost waifu
delicious.
I like the idea of a light-snake, I really like light and always try to get it on my summoner due to how many demos are weak to light/dark.

Full pic.

Thanks acquirement.

Invisibility is really good in Spider's Nest. Only things with see invisible are Entropy Weavers (confusable), Arachne (confusable) and Demonic Crawlers (dazzleable). Easiest rune for an enchanter by far. Invisibility makes Orc easy too. Don't forget to let the contamination time out after each use, Ghost Moths are a big problem if you can't safely cast it.

Ok.
3 2 1, lets splat!

unf
i'll splat for you every day, user

/rlg/ are all having intense and fulfilling sexual relations with their girlfriends right now. Maybe they just don't have time to spend with roguelikes anymore.

How are those combat mariliths coming along?

Nah I'm alone watching Border Wars on National Geographic and not playing roguelikes

I got u bby

Happy valentines day, /rlg/! I hope you found your valentines, but if you spent it with playing roguelikes, remember to take it easy, just relax and if you splat, learn from it!

>if you splat, learn from it!
I refuse

If I splat, I'll blame it on all the qts who've ignored me.

do NOT blame your splat on qts, arelgee
you must have a learning experience

What's he been up to, I haven't been to /rlg/ since he was doing those IA streams

>shafted 3 floors
>right in the middle of bee hive
>telescroll puts me further in
>no stairs up

fucking PLS

Hive was only one level and also it was removed

there are still beevaults

im playing .17 and all i know is there are tons of bees, so i went to the bailey for some breathing room. And now i'm cheesing these orc nights like a bastard

I feel no remorse.

merfolk is strong

He played fun nonroguelikes and shared good music.

Anyway I was thinking: Why don't they just make a DDA mod that makes it so that zombies only drop rags
It's pretty easy to implement

What's the point of Charms in DCSS currently?

Haste got removed, Repel Missiles got removed, THE two spells you trained Charms for. Getting Regeneration was always an afterthought from getting RMsl. Now that it's gone, what's the point of ever bothering with Charms?

- Infusion - absolute horseshit only in the game so that Skalds have a starting spell.
- Shroud of Golubria - slightly less of a horseshit existing for the same reason as the above
- Swiftness - "that spell you should have but won't use more often than once in 50 games"
- Ozocubu's Armor - probably the only good one
- Regeneration - a waste of XP on most characters you'd bother casting it with, better invest in some ranged weapon instead
- Spectral Weapon - again, only a few characters will bother
- Excruciating Wounds - literally a meme flavor spell
>level 5
nice waste of xp there
- Deflect Missiles
>level 6
lel
- Ring of Flames
>level 7
actually not that bad
- Death's Door
to quote tavern: if you have a character able to cast this spell, you shouldn't need it anymore

Remove Charms already, what are they even doing in this game? Do we need a trap for newbies or something? But even that is already fulfilled by Poison Magic.

devs plz

Happy Valentine's Day!

looks like the devs' subversion of charms is working
they keep removing or nerfing the spells to shit and eventually make players see them as useless

>Remove Charms already

That was the goal from the beginning, Winston.

>Regeneration
It's free HP, why would you ever not want this? The only problems with this spell are it's annoying to cast all the time and it doesn't work in lichform.

beware the hunger cost

>implying food clock ever matters

Regen uses less food than waiting for natural healing with more characters.

Anyone still trying to complete the PCB Marilith challenge set a few threads back? Mine keeps getting splat, would love to see some hexa-wield badass setups

no pcb is shit and gimmicks are even shiter

I want to but after reading that you're not supposed to actually clear out each floor I'm at a bit of a loss
How do you actually go about diving

>how do you dive
step one see >
step two walk to >
step three press > key

just have some monster detection and emergency consumables so you can deal with scary OOD shit by running away from it instead of dying to it

So just go as deep as possible, grab everything of value on your way to the next downstairs, and tele as soon as you see something threatening
I can do this!

once you have a rod of detect monsters or something

in the early game, before you get one, there's more of an art to knowing how deep you can safely get without being in trouble

but still, you advance a lot faster in levels etc if you are on the deepest level you can safely be at.

it's about finding a floor depth range in which you want to be fighting (generally, as deep as you can survive without constantly needing to burn up high tier consumables), not about clearing a particular floor.

buying ?Detect Monster, ?Teleport, ?Phase, and !CureCritical helps a ton early on, giving you information, survivability, and options.

yeah basically
it has to be deep enough to have good loot but not so deep that you can't actually defeat the enemies without spending consumables

>The Archpriest summons friends!
>Azriel, Angel of Death answers the call!

Hello My valentines day user's. Teach me how to undead warlock in poschangband. i'm nearing the end of the stronghold.

>mfw

There's absolutely no way out is there?

Honestly user play however you want to play, don't feel like you have to play the way people tell you, it's just fucking sad. If you want to clear out each floor, you clear out each floor, simple as that. Hell I still do that, it's hardly 'optimal' sure but if you care more about that than you do freedom or fun, you've got some issues son.

greetings love
I have not done undead warlock yet myself, but I assume you're more casty and less hitty? Make sure to bring plenty of detection and healing to the bottom floor, and liberally re-generate it by reaching it via different stairs, or by recalling to reset the dungeon until you get a layout where you don't have to be in sight of a ton of caster 'p's at once while trying to kill the boss. If you're using recall to reset, make sure to set your recall point to floor 14, to prevent appearing in a bad spot in the middle of the bossfloor. Watch out, he often has a berserker in his initial band of friends, and one of those can easily fuck you up if it reaches you. It could even be worth delaying the bossfight for a bit, since casters often have some trouble, given that the boss starts with and summons a bunch of ranged damaging disablers (mages/mindcrafters/priests). If you have stone to mud, you can dig a zigzag tunnel as an anti-summoning corridor ("ASC") so you aren't in sight of lots of guys.

You should probably open up Morivant and Telmora soon. You can likely handle the quest monster on Angband 6...all the Angband quest floor bosses are guaranteed to drop an at least 'ego' quality item so you can hope for something useful there. Similarly, you can handle the initial few stages in the Telmora town arena for some devices. Then, once you've beaten the Stronghold boss, probably start adventuring in Orc Caves. The boss is +10 speed so you will want !Speed of your own, then kite him with phase door and ranged magic once you separate him from his entourage (they are only +0 speed so you should be able to draw him off).

gl

yeah this is true. You certainly *can* clear floors and that's totally fine. Rather, the point more is that, unlike crawl, you aren't losing out on anything in the long term by leaving a floor behind. So if you're in danger, for example, just leave.

magic mapping + detect monsters can help a lot to find a relatively safe version of Stronghold 15

WHAT THE FUCKKKKKKKK

dat corrosion level
dose negative stats

That might be the most impressive death I've ever seen.

It's less "shit I was playing suboptimal the ENTIRE TIME" and more "man early game takes so long jesus christ what am I supposed to do"
The game seems like it'd be more fun diving anyways, I just wasn't sure how to get my hands dirty

>explore mode
he would have died a longass time ago, he's just invincible

To be fair, I activated it before dying, and was doing pretty good before the fucking elves kept casting me into the abyss

Thanks for the tip love. I clear angband 6 and got a broken sword of chaos. worth using i think for the resist cold and chaos cause i never melee shit anyway. what does mark of chaos do? now its back to stronghold to try and clear floor 15.
also thanks for the tips on mapping. I have detect living and detect undead which while not as good as detect monsters does basically the same thing in the stronghold with all the p's

mark of chaos means it randomly jumps between different types of brands and slays, weighted towards ones that will work on your target. It's in general one of the best brands, though since a broken sword's base damage dice are small (assuming yours didn't get some ludicrous dice boosting on generation) and brands are multipliers to dice, it will be only okay and not stellar on that front.

Yeah it would suck if I got hungry while turning monsters into food. Oh wait hunger is never a problem outside of some extended game hell that most players don't even bother with.

cool. sounds better than i expected. Also how to i get more spell points? i have a pretty small amount, granted i'm level 15 but still. i only have 64.

raise your casting stat
as a warlock it's charisma

although note that your eldritch blasts don't cost any sp, only your undead powers do

No but please show next turn.

gaining levels, increasing your casting stat (Chr), wearing items with (or whatever value) to mana

some classes such as mage lose maximum mana by wearing too much (level-dependant) amounts of armor, not sure if warlocks fall into that category though

also some classes (again such as mage) reduce mana pool if they're wearing non-dexterity-adding non-free-action gloves, again not sure if warlocks care about that though

also potions of clarity can be quaffed to recover some mana

race matters a bit too, for each racial plus or minus 1 to casting stat, you get plus or minus 5% mana pool

alive af.

good beginner combos for PCB plx

balrog warrior
human rogue of sorcery
tonberry blood knight

which of those gets to wear the most equipment?
I hate finding gozu gear and not being able to wear it.

one nice thing about those guys is all 3 are very good at equipment-wearing

I mean they aren't as great at wearing magey items, but in general casters have a lot more restrictions. Also they are all regular-shaped, so they get the standard slots instead of the "my gimmick is lots of boots and no arms" or whatever that some monster races have

I can vouch for tonberry blood knight being fun. I've gotten to the midgame with them too.

Also i'll throw in my recommendation for Demigod of Zeus Warrior. If you're feeling a "standard" hit dudes and be hella good at hitting dudes and doesn't afraid of nothing, it can take you places. leveling is pretty slow tho.

>Trump rogue (pick something sensible as your race)
Gets teleport self, teleport other and telepathy early on, combined with good stealth so you can avoid/escape easily

>high elf warrior
All it does is tab, but you're really good at it.

>chaos/sorcery mage
If you simply must play a wizard. They have lots of issues come midgame, though.

android mauler!

become the ultimate smashing robot
hit things so hard that you create earthquakes
hit things so hard that they explode into a shower of blood and the blood explosion kills all their nearby friends

just hit things really fucking hard

*hecka

can confirm maulers are amazing
they do suffer a bit from a "this cool weapon dropped that I cannot use because it doesn't weigh a bajillion pounds" though

OTOH splatter is one of the most entertaining abilities in the game.

Our hostile takeover of the final level of the stronghold begins. These humans are all my undead slaves now. I have to say being able to conjure the corpses of the fallen into my soldiers is hella fun. I didn't expect to get this into though I was hoping the undead mechanic would be cool. Right now the plan is to raise an undead army and unseat Meng Hu from their throne.

>tfw you unironically wield Winblows because it's the only thing heavier than a lance you've found all game
>tfw you do 2000 damage/round with it

doot doot mr meng

yeah winblows is amazing on maulers
and it makes for absolutely ridiculous randarts

Literally the worst thing about maulers is half their good standarts have the obnoxious earthquake-on-hit property.

earthquake on hit is amazing for maulers though

if your damage dice roll >50 it has a 100% chance to stun non-uniques, and uniques are stunned unless they save vs your strength score

and maulers have damage dice in spades

>orientbeauties.net
man I have never been into asians

why not

no clue

We death quasit now boy

enjoy your ULTIMATE WALL-WALKING POWER
for the 10 short levels that you'll have it

And Meng Hu Falls to me. but my army lays in tatters. ultimately this is no matter, for the fallen shall rise. In all seriousness. That was more of a war than a battle. i'm used to playing hit dudes and just cleaving my way through his horde. this was more of a lead the armies charge, stand in the hallway blasting things from a distance. MVP unit was a baby red dragon zombie that breath weapon'd the entire mass like right at the beginning killing all the super annoying mindcrafters.

just fyi in case you don't know, 'p' brings up the pets menu.

glad you survived and won

Alright, I'm trying all your suggestions in order, this might take a while.

Android sounds like a meme though, but I'll see.

oh boy 13 whole scrolls of aggravate monster

Does anyone know why vehicles with mounted turrets shoot zombies on their own nowadays?

Like, specifically zombies; they didn't touch me at all.

droid is pretty strong and can be fun, though it has some annoying aspects. Your levels early on come in huge chunks as you find good drops. You get an intrinsic attack spell that's pretty good and levels up with you, gain bonus AC per level (quite strong but subtle, hard to notice the effect), and since it would mess with droid xp stuff you are completely immune to racial polymorph and statswap.

In the middle of my best one so far, which is still only 33. A lot die in the late 20s because I make poor life choices.

why could my shift+move not work anymore in PCB?

nevermind it works again, that was weird.

Probably numlock.

yeah that was it. I was under the impression that numlock had to be on for it, apparently not.

Balrog Warrior is diesel as fuck so far and the bandits -> warg route is a great kickstart. I forgot to buy a scroll of recall though ~~

why does the game freak out when I slay some molds? pic related.

Now that 555/666 are gone, what do I do with my ?ofAcquirement? I was thinking of maybe popping down into R'lyeh or something, but this is my best Tanar'ri so far and I would rather not die if possible.

It's rude to kill things that are napping.

You can turn off the virtue system in birth options, though I found the game seemed a little dull without those messages for some reason. I'm not sure if they actually do anything of consequence.