Oil disc

Is there justification to this being significantly more expensive than other oils?

Can we get a discussion going of shit tier and god tier oils?

Other urls found in this thread:

motoroiltests.com/car-oil-testing.html#.WMi853Qo7qA
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

i use pic related in my shitbox

cant read? says high performance right on the fuckin label

Yeah? So does every other oil numbnuts

>not bardahl
wew

>not adding best oil additive in the world

redline

Engine oil is a scam. Peanut oil has to survive high heat, too, and is a lot cheaper than that expired shit they charge a brazillion dollars a quart for.

It's what I put in mine but I get it for cheaper than regular price on gtx high mileage

I just use whatever the dealership gives me.

motoroiltests.com/car-oil-testing.html#.WMi853Qo7qA

this website is pretty interesting. its just lab tests done on motor oils. to see which is better. interestingly, royal purple is faaar down the list...

i personally prefer regular conventional motor oil changed every 3k miles. my trucks at almost 190k miles using regular ass penzoil changed regularly. if you ask me, thats easily the best thing to do to maintain a vehicle.

>Far down the list
Isn't RP the guys that claim everything, but fuck all of it is actually sent in for testing and verification?

>motoroiltests.com/car-oil-testing.html#.WMi853Qo7qA
>Royal purple break-in
>No moly

Assume they've done that for a reason, would that be to speed up the mating/bedding in of parts?

well i mean its ranked like high 20s. still a good performing oil but even some conventional motor oils test higher than royal purple.

Literally anything major brand works fine in any car as long as it's reasonably within the specifications.

Don't buy dollar store shit.

That's literally all there is to know. Thread done.

the guys name who wrote all this up is 540rat. he has a forum that goes much more into depth about the testing. i recommend it if you want to learn more about what the best oil is.

anything else is childsplay

The oil formulas seem to change more or less every year or two as seen by oil testing. So anyone that says one oil is better than another could be right one year and wrong the next year. Some oils even decrease in quality temporarily as companies adjust the formula to make more money in the short term. They then adjust the formula back to a higher quality level later.

In past oil discussion threads on Veeky Forums, different ways to get oil were mentioned including URL to buying full synthetic in 55 gallon drum quantity from the distribution chain. Also mentioned were chinese full synthetic oils. It's hard to trust the ruthless and shameless chinese sellers though.

If you just commute and drive normally, premium oils are a waste of money.
The only oils worth buying in this case are the cheapest ones with the correct API/ACEA ratings, nothing more.

If you race your car (driving hard on back roads once or twice a week doesn't count as racing) then high performance oils are good.

If you tow a lot and generally put strain on the engine, then long life oils are good

If your car is really old and with a lot of oils, then oils specific for old engines are good.

For everything else, just follow the specs you find in your user manual

With all the direct injection, high compression and turbo memery going on right now along with hurr durr muh enviromental impact.

Oil choice and interval is more important then ever.

That said, Top KiK is the supreme choice.

No. Castrol Edge and Mobil1 are just as good without the "it's fucking purple" tax. I lean towards Castrol edge though since Mobil1 hasn't updated the formula in ages.

>Gallon Jug
>Not 5QT like the rest of the civilized world

JUST

that is odd. I buy 5 qt jugs in the us. Must just be the brand.

>not litres

kys my man

>If you just commute and drive normally, premium oils are a waste of money.
The extra leeway is in case of accidental bad situation. For example, the oil filter might get a hole in it, so having a better oil might compensate a little. The engine might have sludge in some places, so the extra kick the oil has would compensate.

>Not based German Castrol for cheap from Walmart

Depending on the weight, the Edge is German. I know for a fact 0w40 edge is, haven't looked at the other weights though.

Your gallon jugs are standard in the diesel engine oil world? For gasoline car oil, the FIVE quart jugs are standard.

>litres
>re
KYS

Just fucking use Pennzoil Ultra Platinum. Anything more expensive is just pouring money down the drain

That's the correct spelling you dumb americunt

>cheap oil:
low zinc
>expensive oil
more zinc
>high mileage oil additive
all of the zincs

mobil 1 masterrace

Sorry, I'm not French, so I don't use their spelling.

Stand aside plebs.

This. Castrol is the fucking best at keeping engines clean. It doesn't sludge... ever... just please for the love of God don't use pennzoil.

LITERS

sorry you're a europoor

Sweet I use the 5w-20

Paying money for this gimmick is the number one sign of autism.

>tfw I have to put conventional Pennzoil and garbage fram filters on every car at work
It hurts

What do you all have against the royal purple oil? How about their filters?

>jiffylubefag detected

hello, fellow jiffylubefag

Walmart actually.

I put in the cheapest variety into my W210 shitbox. Don't fall for memes.

Bless your heart. I worked there too. It's hell.

Could be worse, they've finally started to bump pay for techs. I'm making 11.21 burgers per hour now. It's all easy shit so it's good for now. The main thing I don't like is that we run out of everything really often. Especially 0w20, 6607, and 10060 filters.

I'm glad I work at the dealership. I heard from a friend walmartfags use a torque stick on fucking EVERYTHING.

Only lugnuts, and they get torqued a second time with a torque wrench. Every drain plug gets hand tightened and torqued with a torque wrench as well.

At least that's how my store is. Others may be run more poorly.

>fucking walmart

>have walmart discount
>get brand new wheels and need tires mounted on

>alloys that can be bent if air tools are used
>specifically tell them not to use them
>hurr ok
>come back
>rims are bent and they cant balance them

so where the fuck do i get some good brake fluid like motul rbf600?

Doing a track day soon and don't really wanna order shit on amazon (fastest shipping) if I don't have to.

I'm at Canadian tire and we use castrol and fram. FYI the red motomaster ones are made by fram. Also I had this peach from GM dealer the other week. It was a POS Jimmy and this fucker was so tight my chain link vise grips couldn't get it off. It took me and another mechanic and 2 big ass pairs of channellocks to get it loose. He's been working for 30 years and never had one so bad..

Aren't they supposed to be hand tight? jesus christ

Only organic oil for my baby.

Sometimes I hand tighten them to like 80'lbs. Fuck the next guy.
t. normal tech who hates doing oil changes

but... what if the next guy is you?

>2022-5
>not using amsoil
>mfw

If the oil filter is that tight, makes you wonder if they tightened the drain plug to be overly tight too. Because the next oil change is so far in the future, the employee might deliberately over torque them. He can be in a piss mood, or he's going to quit soon, or he figures he will be fired, so he's gonna make as much trouble as he can because he has the "angry spic" attitude. It's why I didn't take my car in for servicing that week after Trump won.

>not working at a dealership
KEK

>1972+45
>paying out the ass for meme oils when Castrol and Mobil1 are just as good

>Sometimes I hand tighten them to like 80'lbs.

Why even get a wrench out? These things are supposed to be put on hand tight (3/4 turn after gasket contact). Other mechanics will laugh about your limp wrist if you use a wrench.

I'll laugh if you can't take one (properly installed) off by hand.

Y'all see that Mobil 1 one year oil?

How the fuck does that work?

Or is it only 1 year for cars that only travel under X amount of miles and doesn't turn acidic /get eaten by bugs the rest of the time when it's sitting?

Only the cheapest Fram filters are shifty, and that's why they're so much cheaper than the rest of the filters.

The filters comparable in price to the rest of the market literally have all the same features

And I'm putting on the cheapest of the cheap, you can't even buy them off the shelf. They customer cost of the Fram Core filters Walmart uses is $2.10. Even the supertechs cost more than that, and the Extra Guard starts at about $3.40. The customers rarely ever ask for a better filter anyway.

Hand tight and quarter turn with a band wrench, which of we're being honest I could probably get just by twisting with both hands

Oil is oil is oil is oil.

If it's rated SN by the American Petroleum Institute (API) and the weight you want, it's really not a significant enough difference between brands to justify them costing anything different at all.

There are a lot of myths about synthetic, too, and they're all bullshit. You can run a car 200,000 miles on Royal Purple full synth, then switch to gas station off-brand organic oil and it will be just fine.

Shit, one time I filled up with 5 different oils, some synth, some organic, all different weights and it was just peachy even though I redline all the time and my car had over 200k miles.

I generally go for Castrol Edge though.

>Only organic oil for my baby.
Full synthetic oil is the closest thing to organic oil. The dinosaur conventional oil contains a lot of impurities other than oil. Refining has gotten rid of a lot of impurities, but some inorganic compounds still remain.

amidoininrite?

>Is there justification to this being significantly more expensive than other oils?

Greedy profit taking. But that is a legit business tactic. You've seen in food with $1000 USD hamburgers. You've seen it in baby strollers for $8,000 USD each. You've seen shoes that sell for $2500 per pair. Etcetera.

Price it high. People who need to feel elite will then buy it.

>Oil is oil is oil is oil.

Wrong.

Go on Royal Purple's website for 5 minutes before posting garbage, you may learn a thing or two.

>Oil is oil is oil is oil.
If you visit SuperTech's website, it's oil is just as good as Royal Purple's oil.

>Go on Royal Purple's website for 5 minutes before posting garbage

1. You realize that's like saying that the Turbonator must work because the website says so.

2. I just went to the site, for the sake of rebuttal, and saw nothing convincing or interesting at all. I went through all the "why synthetic" pages and their "engine oil" page.

They say the EXACT same shit other companies say about their own oils. In fact, at one point they even say one of the contentions from my previous post:
>going back to conventional oil—or alternating between the two—will not harm your engine in any way.

I have a mechanical engineering degree and got an A in organic chemistry. If they make a convincing argument, I'll know it... But they don't.

Royal Purple must be buying their synthetic oil feedstock from one of the big oil companies that has a refinery able to economically make synthetic oil in large quantity. At that point, Royal Purple is basically similar to that big name brand except for how much and how many types of additives they put into the oil assuming that they even create their own proprietary patented additive that is genuinely a real creation.

>using yuropleb units

>weak civvie who "goes to the gym"
Yawn. You're weak, get over it.

I'm sure that they have a miniscule amount of random additives in there, but I just don't think it makes any difference at all.

Actually according to them their additives are completely unique and the best possible way to have your car run 300k miles without issue

>Is there justification to this being significantly more expensive than other oils?

Yes. Some people get smarmy self-satisfaction from buying what they personally FEEL is an elitist product.

so... does the kid live? Did the dirty niggers die?

Royal Purple has some independent test results at the RAT oil database.
540ratblog dot wordpress dot com

I thought gas pumps had a strain relief that makes the hose let go if pulled hard. But this car managed to go pretty far without the hose letting go.

>does the kid live? Did the dirty niggers die?
The black dudes got away.

Not that poster, but in my area, the blacks ride bicycles. They lounge around for someone going to a bank ATM. Then they ride up quietly. As soon as they hear the *clank* of the armored gate letting the money out, they rush the victim to get the money. They even robbed an asian woman at the mall in front of everyone. And got away with it (never caught).

I was at a plaza mall ATM. The black guy hid behind and between cars waiting. He rushed me too soon in hopes of gaining control of my account before I got the money. But I hit cancel and ran inside a store and he didn't follow me in to kidnap me back to the ATM since that would really have everyone watching. Quick as a flash, he disappeared when I turned around. They are so good at hiding!

>does it have the donut on the back?
>is gud oil
/thread