/domg/ - Dominions General

Early Ages edition

Dominions is a fantasy turn-based war game created by two dudes. One of them is a teacher.

The game combines a simple presentation with an extremely wide array of strategic options, including over 2800 units, 800 spells and 300 magic items. Turns are resolved simultaneously, with players planning battles rather than directly controlling them.

It has simplistic graphics but is easily moddable and extremely deep.

Basically, it's an autist’s wet dream of a war game.

>Steamgroup
Join the steamgroup for multiplayer
steamcommunity.com/groups/vanheimageofvidya

>Group chatroom
steam://friends/joinchat/103582791434709795

>Our work-in-"""progress""" wiki
dom4.wikia.com/wiki/Dominions_4_Wiki

>Our pastebin
pastebin.com/uTZnjYwm (embed)

>Dom4 Manual
jaffa.illwinter.com/dom4/manual_dom4.pdf

>Dom4 Inspector
This is a community resource that has every unit, spell, and item in the game in an accessible database.
larzm42.github.io/dom4inspector/

>Play by email guide:
steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=202096551

>Debug Mod:
For testing battle formations and spells
dropbox.com/s/eo3qbjlixfghvs4/Debug.zip?dl=0

>Where do I get it?
It is available on Gamersgate and Steam. Desura is kill.

>THE BASICS
>Read the manual
>Read the wiki
>Read the pastebin
>Watch some LPs by Sy, Maerlande, or Nuclearmonkee
>Jump into MP feet first; ask for pretender advice in the thread

Submit completed games here:
docs.google.com/forms/d/1jHX_ZoJi6zIvDq6ANdp-W1Y89W5_fmShuDyHmAj5qC4/viewform

Results Here:
docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1dlrvyEqLFYIaXRc49TheMmfdoP8jEh1m5rZJHJAzDWQ/edit?usp=sharing

Previous Pantokrator
Previous Pantokrator

Other urls found in this thread:

llamaserver.net/gameinfo.cgi?game=FrogAndToad
docs.google.com/document/d/1guUcu_b1jTKzYZ3vNWIrENioLqlIFvDFVzlfhQEt6CI/edit
moddb.com/games/dominions-4-thrones-of-ascensions/forum/thread/dom4-magic-path-booster-guide-by-telos
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

Two more toads and/or frogs.

Tell me captain, if the Federation is so great, why are there no good dominion players?

This will be my first time playing with /domg/. What should I expect?

winning

losing

it depends

It depends

I don't know, maybe test it?

t. malakal

MEMES

How do I invulnerable snek ladies, /domg/?

Luck build because this fat bastard amuses me but isn't actually necessary.

1) Heat 3 always
2) Growth 3 always
3) You probably want magic, both because you have 7RP S1 lab rat mages that you'll be spamming and because Luck/Magic go together nicely
4) You absolutely do not need prod 3. Patala expands with elephants. If you want to do a troop heavy strategy, odds are that your best units are going to be indy crossbows.
5) I get S6 for astral lategame, but what are you doing with E9? If you want a mage bless, you don't need the prot. You almost certainly don't want a naga bless, because nagas are bad. It can be fun to use their hypnotize attacks, but they're not resilient enough to try to use them as front line sacreds

>You almost certainly don't want a naga bless, because nagas are bad

Shame. I was hoping 22 prot 15 MR would be enough for Naga Warrior shenanigans, but alas. Back to the scales build, I suppose.

The problem is that crossbows are AP and nagas don't have shields.

All of your mages are sacred. All of them. Most of them have natural prot as well. E9's actually not a total waste, although I would probably pair it with N9 on an imprisoned Bull, personally.

Have Arco and Ur destroyed eachother and Birds taken over their territories yet?

Just FYI, Magic boosting guide is kill along with desura :(

it's not, gimme a sec

docs.google.com/document/d/1guUcu_b1jTKzYZ3vNWIrENioLqlIFvDFVzlfhQEt6CI/edit

>implying you need arms to fire bows

Bows seem to count as intrinsic weapons.

Ty very much! How vital is magic boosting to enjoying Dominions BTW? Cause it honestly seems a bit skeevy to me, as a new player.

Thanks again!

Is mictlan from MADman avaible to talk ? maybe in 9 hours, i am going to sleep now

Its generally pretty important. Whats so skeevy about it?

Most nations can't reach endgame spells without boosters.

It just seems like something that wasn't intended by the developers to be a thing, kind of manipulative, that kind of skeevy I guess

It's also hosted here

moddb.com/games/dominions-4-thrones-of-ascensions/forum/thread/dom4-magic-path-booster-guide-by-telos

>It just seems like something that wasn't intended by the developers to be a thing
What? Its been in at least two games and the items explicitly say they boost magical power, they clearly meant for it.

Like shit, there are items whos only function is to boost magic.

turns when

>have to script a communion from scratch

turnfiendgame when. As long as it's fun I'll do my turns.

You realise you can use ctrl+0-9 to copy orders, right?

>turnfiendgame
Uh, what?

wat

join gaem

Yep. Copies the order you have mouseovered. Then it's 0-9 for pasting. There's also a ? hotkey that'll give you the keys for whatever screen you're on.

This shit should probably be in the OP somewhere.

serious question, what's with the megumin spam? Is this really just because one player liked her?

There is no cure against weeb cancer

Guessing he means like NEETonly. That had, what was it, a 12 hour turn timer?

It proved to be quite effective at luring people into joining games.

16h, IIRC.

That and pressing Y to view armies marching from different provinces into the same battle on the same screen were seriously game changers when I figured them out. Reduces the tedium of the game by a huge amount.

And g to find a province number.

This is pretty weird. I have a fort but can't recruit national troops or mages.

wtf that's so helpful, I've been manually searching for provinces by trying to follow its internal grid system

I know right? I had like 150 hours on the game before someone told me.

Because all of Ys's units are either underwater or coastal recruits.

What nation is that? some of the UW nations only get national land troops on coastal land forts, they dont get shit inland.

Oh. Didn't know they were all exclusively coastal recruit.

It got exactly one player

Which items let the one whom wears it to command magical beings?
Tried to find it but with no luck.

Fairly sure LightAle admin was spamming anime pictures as well, and it filled up pretty fast.

Crown of Command

Crown of Command

Look at water bottles and such

Crown of Command

search for 'ldr-m' property in the inspector

Utgard has staled two times in a row. If this coming turn is also a stale, I will try to find a sub.
Disappointing because Utgard himself is a sub.

Have you tried bringing in a dom?

Gath play turn. The anticipation in waiting to see how my expansion is going makes my benis hard. Now I need results.

No, this is a noob game.

EVERYBODY TELL ME YOUR MOST INNOVATIVE STRAT THAT HAS WORKED
AND EVEN SOME THAT HAVENT BUT WERE CLOSE

I have never once done an innovative strategy.

I have never once had a strategy that worked.

Rudolph went down in history lmao

pd is not a joke

I have managed to fuck up reliable cookie cutter strategies like expanding with the Erf Snek, so all bets are off when it comes to making my own.

What I find skeevy isn't boosting magic, it's using items in a chain-like fashion like the ones mentioned in the guide that I feel might not have been originally intended. It's fine if it's the meta now, but I kinda doubt these really complex and crazy chains of item building were intended by the developer. Feel free to correct me though!

Look, I know we disparage Shillwinter's coding skills a lot around here but I'm not sure you're going to get much traction with implying that they're literally retarded.

Those are definitely intended. There are many national spells that cannot be cast without multiple boosts.

Fuck I just had an idea to fix Dominions 5 an hour ago but I seem to have mostly forgotten it.

Something along the lines of making Dominion significantly more expensive in points cost but also adding more effects to the spread of Dominion. At the moment it only works as a combat buff, scale tipper and a barrier against being domkilled. I'd like it if having a rival faith infiltrate your territory actually felt like zealous opposition within your own ranks. And at the moment awe only really works like a good shield. A real pretender with 10 Dom should be exploding the brains of anything non-sacred that dares to look at it or something. Obviously that would be unbalanced but in a game called Dominions it doesn't feel quite right that Dominion is a feature you can easily skimp on to win. IRL Jesus won the Dominion war pretty hard without an army. He didn't even throw a punch. This game needs defections or something.

>lets make anything other than awake dom10 monsters shit
lol, ok

I had this a lot more thought out earlier. I can't really imagine now how you'd balance lower dom pretenders. I did say 'significantly more expensive' though. My thinking is maybe that rather than bless/scales the choice could be made more interesting with bless/scales/superdom. The idea is basically an SC that doesn't need a pile of buffs and equipment to be awesome. Except to get this SC awake you have to take gimped scales and magic. As it is Dom doesn't feel that useful aside from serving as another layer of protection on an awake expander.

using midget mashers instead of vine shields+brands on giant thugs

there's not a whole lot of situations you really want to be killier instead of more survivable but it's a good option for saving gems if you have the paths for it

there are plenty of advantages to having a high dom, and i think you're drastically underestimating the usefulness of your scales being spread (look at niefel, yomi), domininion effects (ma c'tis, ma agartha, ermor, though i do admit i wish there were more interesting ones), the ability to recruit a ton of sacreds and of course having the edge in dominion spreading (domkilling, not dying from domkilling).

Awe is mediocre, but this is an awful way to fix that. As well, the more candles in a province, the more hp/str/mr/etc your pretender/prophet get. the higher dom you have, the easier it is to get more candles.

Also IRL Jesus hasn't won shit. Far as I can tell, there are still plenty of other IRL faiths out there.

Step 1: recruit death 2 mages
Step 2 : Research ench 5
Step 3: Spam horde of skeletons
Step 4: win

I like focusing on quantity over quality when it comes to magic items. I'd rather see half a dozen thugs kitted out with 1 or 2 items than one thug with 5 or 6

Step 1: Play Abysia
Step 2: Cast Fire Storm

Step 1: Play Caelum
Step 2: Research Thunder Strike
Step 3: Spam Thunder Strike

Step 1: Research Conjuring 5
Step 2: Spam Elementals

As marverni, stellar cascade spam
As marverni, boar spam

But AT THE SAME TIME

Step 1: Recruit/Summon units with darkvision. (Including Undead)
Step 2: Cast Solar Eclipse, Darkness or Utterdark

As Mictlan, run between one and three major blesses

Isn't storm one level higher than thunder strike?

Sure, if you want to spend a turn casting storm and having everyone cast storm power.

Step 1: Play Xibalba
Step 2: Spam Warriors
Step 3: Capture cave + forest provinces
Step 4: Spam even more Zotz
Step 5: Implode cause all you've been doing for 30 turns is building Zotz

Step 1: Recruit Fire 1 Earth 1 mages
Step 2: Spam Magma Bolts
Step 3: Make Earth Boots
Step 4: Finish with Earthquake or Magma Eruption

Step 1: Take lots of low level chaff/ garbage troops
Step 2: Cast Fog Warriors or Army of Gold/Lead

Alternatively

Step 1: Recruit shitloads of archers
Step 2: Cast Flaming Arrows

Step 1: Play MA Ulm
Step 2: Take Drain 3 Prod 3

Works well with

Step 1: Take Master Alchemist
Step 2: Make Dwarven Hammers
Step 3: Spam Owl Quills

Step 1: Take Erf Snek
Step 2: Cast Fire Shield

>Step 1: Take Master Alchemist
MEH

Thats really only cause you don't have the correct gems. otherwise you'll need to convert them at a 4 to 1 ratio or to barter for them with other players.

step 2.5 rename all mages "mr. bones"

the ride never ends

Master Alchemist doesn't do what you think it does.