Would you like to be a medieval monk?

Would you like to be a medieval monk?

Other urls found in this thread:

christianitytoday.com/ct/2008/february/23.28.html
celticevangelicalmonasticsociety.org/faq/
prayerfoundation.org/brief_history_protestant_monasticism.htm
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

>Would you like to be a heretical papal stooge?
no

There isn't that big of a difference in the cenobitic monastic life of modern ascetics and those of the middle ages desu. No reason to not just be a modern monk.

Were they just medieval /r9k/?

There is a pretty big difference. Fat monks were almost a running joke back then (even Aquinas was really fat). Orthodox ascetic monks aren't fat, nor did they ever have a reputation for being such. Fasting is significant part of their monastic life.

>tfw you're the gay younger brother of the heir to the throne

Could I be the cook? Then yes
Could I go over to a convent full of sexually confused brides of christ for "confession"? Then hell yes

There is a big difference man, back then you could not get a proper education if you were no aristocrat unless you become a monk, then you could be a pilgrim and travelm around, learning new lenguages and translating books, or live in a monastery as a well regarded prist, or run for power and land. Now you can make thous things if you study a good career or run for politician or something.

>Monk are only catholic
Literally every christian denominations have monks except the so called ""christian"" protestants.

lutheran and anglican monastics have a long history
there are now also evangelical proddy monks

Sure. Seems like a comfy life. Cultivating your land, brewing beer, copying books, helping out local peasants, hanging out with your bros.

It's unironically my childhood ambition. Sadly, I can't bring myself to believe in god.

A Capuchin, yes.

>Do I want to exist in a time when people lived in constant fear of being beheaded for knowing things like that the Earth is round?
>Do I want to work as a person who makes sure science doesn't advance and holds back civilisation for a millennium?

Take a guess, Veeky Forums

I puked a little good job

>evangelical monks
Explain

>Forced virginiy
>24/7 prayer
>Boredom.
>Sausagefest
no.

>there are now also evangelical proddy monks
I am super confused now.
christianitytoday.com/ct/2008/february/23.28.html
Also found this:
celticevangelicalmonasticsociety.org/faq/
>evangelicals;
>can get married;
>women monks(no, not nuns, since those can't do sacraments. Women monks)

See

Nothing wrong with a sausagefest. And you wouldn't have gone to be bored, monks were busy as fuck.

prayerfoundation.org/brief_history_protestant_monasticism.htm

By 2008: There are estimated to be over 100 groups in North America claiming to be both "Evangelical" and "Monastic" according to The Boston Globe (Feb. 3, 2008).

Of all the things one could have been in the middle ages, a monk would probably be the safest.

Just the books and having the first to have access to new information is enough.

obligatorily

Protestant and Christian are synonymous

In a period of limited pleasures. Where fucking, festivals, and drink were often the bright spots of a man's life. A monk rejects all of that for the sake of endlessly copying manuscripts in a dark cell where he will probably catch a lung disease and die.

No thanks, I'd rather be a university student or a even a peasant.

>Brew beer and translate books all day while everyone else is either toiling in the fields or dying on the battlefield
Uh, yes.

Yes but only a 5th century Irish Monk in a comfy round tower

is this where legends about wizards come from

No, I am heterosexual

freaky.

who fed these guys?

no. I want to be pretty, monks aren't pretty

Let's be real, these monks would have been getting tonnes of peasant pussy.

Well if the alternative is working 16 hours a day or dying in the battlefield why the fuck not.

Why would someone lie like this?

>calling white black and black white, good evil and evil good