Modern cars with Push-Start Button and Dial Shifts

Good or bad?

I don't like having the car shift the gears for me. NO thank you.

Electronics = reliability issues.

Push button start is okay if you don't have to hold the button down to start the car otherwise you might as well still use a key that you have to turn.

Dial shifters are still better than a physical stalk or lever which are pointless on fully electronic automatics.

Trash

Call me autistic but i still rather something like a column shifter than than a dial.

>I was reading about how they were going to add diesels to a bunch of cars
>including something called "Dodge Rotaries"
>"what the fuck, I didn't know Dodge made rotary engines"
>google it
>they meant "rotary transmission"
>like the OP pic
>mfw

>t. luddite boomer

kill yourself

Push button start is OK.
Dial a gear is retarded, using a column and the PRND layout has become second nature for most drivers.

I drove my aunt's electric fiat 500 and pushing buttons to switch modes(reverse, park, drive) feels really, really weird. Even as a manual enthusiast, I understand the desire to remove the shifter to free up space but in a car it's like going from a flip phone with feedback when you press a button to going to a smartphone with a touchscreen only without the huge increase in functionality. It just feels like a huge loss in feedback and a disconnect from the machine

>Second nature
>Automatic

It doesn't need to be second nature which is why Americans love it.

>Feedback from a PRND shifter

Boy, shut up.

When I shift from park to anything else, I can feel something in the car move to let me know it changed gear, even in an automatic. When you press a button to change gears, there is no feeling, just the light over D comes on.

actually im 26 years old and your taste in cars is shit

>not using terminal commands to select your gear for you

fuck hockey pucks bring back the column

This. Physical mechanical things are just easier to repair and deal with if they break.

Fuck push to start. I got drunk last week and ended up losing my keys...had to have the car towed to the dealer and cost me $650 for new fobs. They said they couldn't program just 1 fob and had to do 2. They probably jewed me but I called like 7 locksmiths and none of them could help me so I had no choice but to go to the dealer.

Omg, I fucking loved columns. Even more satisfying than levers when you get to J-J-JAM it all the way down into drive

you are the literal definition of a nu-male

>guys this old shit was so good, you probably never heard of it.

What? Column shifter automatics are all over the place. It's not like he posted a picture of a 3 on the tree shifter.

I have one with a dial and boy do I hate it. How am I supposed to grab onto it and pretend I'm a cool-kid and accidentally shift into neutral on the highway?

>Push button start is OK.

Can't make copies of the "key," so if it gets damaged or lost you're fucked.

Also higher risk of malfunction or being hacked.

feedback is pretty important in user systems.

THREE ON THE TREE FOUR ON THE FLOOR

/thread

>trusting a dodge transmission
>ever

e-brakes matter.

>The brain acclerating, braking, and steering is different from the brain selecting the gear ratio

Fucking retarded idea. If normies can't operate a clutch without throwing their passengers into the dash on each shift just give them an automatic clutch, but make sure it has a manual override. Choosing the gear ratio is essential and choices must be made based on visual and kinetic information that only fully self driving cars have sensors for, and if you gave a human driven car the ability to select gears based on traffic and road conditions the human would just fuck it up anyways

t. drives on the same roads as autotragics+all seasons during winter

>Boy, shut up.

No I understand what he means. When you're just turning a little dial to alter huge mechanical functions all it takes is one tiny wire or piece of plastic in to fail for your vehicle to be immobile. You wouldn't want a push button mechanism controlling a gun, or parachute, fire alarm, even your front door.

I remember when I was a kid and thought that was for the windshield wipers. Almost smashed a ranger into the house kek

Why do that when you can get rid of gear ratios entirely?

Normies never need to accelerate past 60 anyways.

Pretty much every car is drive by wire now... Having the shifter switch fail is the least of your worries really considering one wire can fuck up and send you full throttle into a wall. If a 5 cent IC component fails on any ECU you're basically fucked, It's been this way for many years now.

Motors aren't miracle devices. Even they have powerbands and benefit from having multiple ratios. Especially when you have to haul around 5000lbs of shit and don't want to get dropped by a ICE crossover on the highway.

Not just bad, stupid

Push button start - why not.

Dial shifter - useful to free up space on the center console for an extra cupholder, phone charger, etc.

>Dial shifter - useful to free up space on the center console for an extra cupholder, phone charger, etc.
there is a better solution that doesn't fell gay as shit as the dial
see:

Didn't a Jeep with one of these shifters kill some guy from the newer star trek movies?

Master race coming through

>autotragic
>master

normie out

Nah it had one of those haptic feedback shifters that you move down or up to change gear and then it returns to the center position. Kinda like what the newer bmws use. He was trying to put it in park but the haptic feedback was shit and it went to neutral instead so it rolled back when he got out of it and crushed him against a mailbox.

>that mustang start stop button

Do it right ford or don't do it at all

Electronic parts are not inherently less reliable than mechanical parts.

Mechanical parts are inherently under more stress through friction than electronic parts.

Mechanical parts are not inherently easier to repair if broken.

> Fuck push to start. I got drunk last week and ended up losing my keys

It's not technology's fault you're retarded.

> Can't make copies of the "key," so if it gets damaged or lost you're fucked.

How fucking stupid are you? You think that they can't make you a new fob if you lose or damage yours? Goddamn Veeky Forums is full of idiot children.

>"B-but, I want a shifter that FEELS better!"
>Men: The more logical sex

it has sport mode though, it makes the engine rev higher so you don't have to do it manually

>Dial shift

Hahaha oh wow
Is this is a joke?

Retarded. It saves on materials, but I'd much rather have the physical feedback of a lever.

On a related note, I guess the new Continental has electronic door handles on the inside, very retarded and unsafe.

What kind of tactile response do you get from the dial? Is is a solid "click" when changing from N/D/R or just a mushy feel? If it were solid and positive and ergonomically placed I think I could get into it.

Electronic parts have dozens if not hundreds of contact points that have rapid responses to adverse conditions whereas a mechanical connection has to outright break in catastrophic failure to stop functioning and will generally take a lon time to react to outside conditions.

>a transistor (for example) will break before a mechanical item breaks

literally kill yourself you don't know shit.

Water.

>implying I ever used the word break when referring to electronics

If you're gonna have buttons and dials then you might as well put them on the steering wheel

Jesus, that's almost as bad as an button ebrake

Everything in a car is under mechanical stress.

I'm not the biggest fan of push button start. I've had several Nissans at work give me 'invalid key ID' errors erroneously recently and at that point it'd just be more reliable to have a physical key. Fuck the plastic 'keys' a lot of Chrysler products have though.

Dial nobs are meh but as long as they have decent feedback they can be okay on some vehicles

Push-start buttons are nice
Shifters need some sort of input device like manual stick, auto with option to manual shift it or flappy paddles on the steering wheel

This entire thread is full of misinformation and flat out lies.

I actually put a push button start in the old teg a few weeks ago. Mine doesn't have cruise so the spot where the cruise control button would go is blank so I dremeled it out and it went perfectly there. Then I disconnected the ignition from the tumbler in the column. Did it as an anti theft type deal. You still have to insert the key and move to power but you have to push the button to start it. Pretty neat if I do say so myself.

This

Also bias.

Neat!

colon shifters are retarded though

Never thought I'd see the day where cars copied their design from washing machines

>Then again...

>colon shifters
sounds lewd

Push start is race car as fuck.
Dial shifts are fine as long as there's enough feedback when changing state. Something clicking, or requiring some amount of force to change. And if it's put on the dashboard, it means freeing space for a godlike bench seat.

Would probably prefer a R/D knob and having P and N as push buttons. There's no reason to keep the column inherited legacy clusterfuck.
Also, is there any car with paddles that does the racing game convention of pressing down in 1 to go to N, and down in N to go to R? Ultimate clutter free dashboard.

> men realize the human mind is largely subconscious and operates on feeling and perception first during physical activity
> women: Kim how do I do a uturn is there an instruction manual????? Oh no I hit the curb I guess you turn the wheel different idk give me time to think

>mfw that washing machine literally BTFO GM @ LeMans

>e-brakes matter

Trusting e-brakes to hold against a torque converter/transmission in gear.

Why didn't you put the start button on the floor?

What's wrong with that, u are faggot for driving automatic anyway, get used to it cuck. U don't deserve stick.

Yo. VTEC kicked in.

>sudo gear select D
>User not in sudoers! Incident reported
>police come to arrest car jacker

Push button start could be bearable if you didn't have to hold the brake down while starting the car. Now some cars require you hold the clutch AND brake while pushing a button to start the car.

>REEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE
Fuck this american bullshit. Want to get a Holden ute this year and have to pay someone to disable that shit. Hopefully I can get them to disable the hill start assist too

Just because I had the blank space to the side of the wheel. It looks like it was a factory job how it is

To the future!

I get that once the systems are fully integrated and the bugs worked out the systems reliability will actually be better. But most of these "better" systems throw maintenance and repairability under the bus. If it lasts twice as long but can't be fixed when it breaks does that make it twice as good or a piece of trash? Obliviously a more details are needed and it is somewhere in the middle, but from a longterm picture repairability is a huge advantage we are losing.

This is surprisingly nice to use.

god, using an automatic is awful enough
why are we being forced to use this over complicated garbage

>mfw physical key

>mfw in reality its a button because you can release it right after turning it to start and it will continue cranking until the engine turns on

bitch

>mfw I shift into rinse & spin on the highway

No. Men are literally more emotional than women. Look it up.

I like these. They're more practical than a console mounted shifter, and easier to use than a mechanical column shifter. You can literally just slap it into park.