Either picking up a Civic or Corolla

Been going back and forth on these two for over 3 months while saving up the cash for a new set of wheels. Well, looking at 2014-2015 with

Other urls found in this thread:

owners.honda.com/vehicles/information/2017/Civic-Sedan/manuals
youtu.be/xDP5w6bBccM
youtu.be/ic8C5lA2Qgk
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

>Civic I drove as well, little more roomy, I liked the V6 but it still drives like an appliance more than a car. Also wasn't worthwhile, I'd buy a sports car if I gave a shit about acceleration.
Sorry, meant Camry there.

Keep your current car or get a civic for 3k. New ones are shit.

I have a Camry 2.5 4cyl, between the civic and corolla I would go Civic. It is a newer design, and people notice it, over a corolla which is just an econobox now. Also the fact that you like it is a good reason to get it.

Sure, why buy something nice and enjoyable to drive when you can get out the old tape deck and drive an old shitbox for 2 years before the engine blows?

>implying a new civic is enjoyable with it's numb steering and shitty cvt transmission
>implying just because a car is old the engine will blow

There are much better cars for 15k.

>numb steering
The civic has great handling, what are you talking about?

>There are much better cars for 15k.
>buying a 2014 used civic for 15k
>ever

Get a corolla man. Ours has been in the family since 2011 and it has 90k miles now, no major problems or expensive repairs. No complaints at all

Get a Civic hatch with a turbo and manual

9th gen civics are only better than the 10th. All other generations are better than the 9th.

[citation needed]

Get the pickup, forget the other two.

You can't win. You either become the laughing stock of your group for being a ricer (civic), or your ride becomes the laughing stock of the group for being the most uninteresting car in the world (corolla). You may as well pick the option that feels like its made of less chinesium (honda tried and sorta did it). The CVT in both are uninteresting and terrible but Honda uses a steel belt in theirs. But then again, why the fuck would you get an auto in the first place?

The 6spd manual transmission on the Civic is butter smooth. I don't know if the Corolla is offered with a MT, maybe some other user can shed light on this.

BUT

Every plus has a minus- every civic has a downfall- every car has an ebrake- every civic has a button.

Dear Honda: WTF

IIRC, the corolla has an actual lever. Quite nice.

Why is this important?

The button in the Civic does NOT lock the rear wheels while in motion, it merely deploys all the brakes and makes an unhealthy noise.

The button in the Civic IS ELECTRIC EVEN ON THE MT's. This means, if your electronics fail (They do this from time to time, but not often), you ain't moving your Civic assuming your Ebrake is on.

I know I haven't mentioned the Corolla but that's because I've only driven it a couple of times. The Civic however... I've stocked in and transported countless as a former lot attendant for a Honda dealership.

Any questions about the Civic? Can answer.

>can answer
So you can answer any question about the Civic?
I've got a good one. Why don't you know that the Civic, and literally every other car with an electric ebrake, have a manual release so you won't be stranded?

IIRC there isn't an actual manual release for the newgen civics. The ebrake is operated via means of an electric motor which pulls or pulls the ebrake for you. If the module were to fail, you aren't moving the car. Call for a tow.

As for what I don't know... Iunno. Call it the known unknown.

>pulls or pulls

damn my autism

Pulls or releases**

user, why not buy a Corolla iM instead of a normal corolla? If you can find one pre owned, it might give you a more practical and sporty looking alternative to the corolla.

Get a 2016 Honda hrv. It handles like a slightly lifted hatchback that is "normal" civic sized. The cvt isn't that bad at all and sure beats having an accord sized civic. Truthfully I don't know much of the current Toyota line up.

The HRV's an acquired taste. Try b4 buy. Check out the new CRV- that's something Honda outdid themselves with...

I agree though- The HRV CVT isn't TERRIBLE but it belongs there. Same can be said for the new CRV.

Just please note....This is a small car it fits 5 but really more like 4 if you want ultimate comfy for your passengers. Its a solid little car that looks ALOT smaller than it is inside...Plenty of space in back s well...its a perfect little car for what OP is looking for. Honestly the new civic is probably shit since its a brand new platform...Hrv has been out in other countries as the Vezel. Check it out...Please test drive...Dependent on height you may or not be able to see the hood (like in most new cars) its a pet peeve of mine and may not even concern you.

my family has both a corolla (2008) and civic (2009)

let me tell you, each car will run until it hits that magical mark of 200kish miles

my advice? buy whatever makes the most sense financially, this is your daily driver as much as a car lover you are.. neither will be fun to drive

Also don't listen to the hype about it being a fit that is jacked up...while it has a lot of similarities its a completely different car.

They LITERALLY all have a manual release, and it's in the manual de owners.

I would go Civic, it's a more interesting car and a bit more enjoyable. It also looks way better from the outside.

You really don't want to get a car you despise just because it's "practical" or "economical". You DO need to take practicality into account - by all means - but don't sacrifice everything for it because you will lose out in the end.

It's one thing if you think you can grow fond of the Corolla despite it's toaster-like-ness but if you're going to find yourself thinking "What if I drove something else..." every day that eventually you are going to want to trade it in and lose out. Even if you don't, you want to at least get a car that you will look back and and admire every once in a while after parking it - that is one of the most valuable metrics of whether you'll be happy with it.

In order to get practicality and economy you leave fun behind. Every single time.

Prove me wrong when I say this for I want to know too- No, not in the 10th gens.

Go to the dealership, use your words, ask them. I'm not arguing common knowledge facts with someone that knows nothing about modern vehicle tech.

"Call Honda roadside assistance."

I literally just read through the entire owner's manual section on the parking brake. Nowhere does it say anything about a manual release. I've also done a quick search on forums, nowhere does anyone say that they've found a way to manually disengage the parking brake. If the battery is disconnected, there is no way to disengage the parking brake.

Seems to me that you're fucked if your module goes kaplunk on you.

Post timestamp of manual. The cover where we can see the year.

Lexus ES 350 if you absolutely have to own a Toyota :^)

owners.honda.com/vehicles/information/2017/Civic-Sedan/manuals

go yourself.

Okay. Real talk.

From test drives, which leads you on better?
Both are solid cars. Neither will leave you stranded. My Corolla personally would put up with my terrible driving and has totaled at least one car on the road. With proper tires and sway bars/strut braces and it might just handle decently.

But if you're leaning toward Civics, we're but the voices from the void. Go for it.

Oh, sorry. Thought I was talking to someone that owns a vehicle. You see, junior, when you buy a car they explain how the systems work, then tell you what section of the manual to check in an emergency. Didn't realize you just skimmed a book for a car you'll never buy and assumed I was lying.

just get a mazda3, maybe even the 6

the current-gen civic and corolla both look like they failed in trying to look hip and cool while the mazda3 just looks bland/normal

Too bad there's no mazdaspeed anymore

This. Civic by a long shot. Don't cheat yourself.

b-but muh rust protection!

The lazy is real

>>Won't even read the linked manual
>>Literal same manual in civic
>>Delivery people will not explain ebrake
>>Worked lot @ honda
>>Watched countless deliveries at honda
>>Calls me Junior and rubs autodick instead

Its k. I don't have to prove and neither do you. At the end of the day, its up to OP or others to decide.

Also the adaptive cruise on the CRV is eerie AF- Can almost drive itself assuming you hold your lane. Will even slow the car to a complete stop (tested) if traffic in front of you does so.

only an issue with 1st gen (some people say the later half is ok though but I doubt that) and maybe 2nd gen

youtu.be/xDP5w6bBccM
youtu.be/ic8C5lA2Qgk
Couldn't be bothered finding a video for the specific model you don't own. There is literally a similar procedure for every car with electric park brakes.

I agree with this guy desu

There are only videos for the euro garbage that fails instantly btw, but they all have a release just in case.

I stand by it that there is literally no way to do it if EPB fails. Call me junior all you want.

Corolla IM. Its a toyota made in Japan. Why fuck around?

If you're going autotragic, get a 2013 civic. That year still has a traditional auto and a refreshed interior. Everything 2014>now has CVT

This
Go for a mazda 3 hatchback

Get the Civic or a Mazda3 for this range.

What's wrong with CVT?

I drive a 2015 Corolla and it sucks. Engine is underpowered, infotainment sucks, terrible materials. The only reason you would want a Corolla is if you want LED headlights, adaptive Cruise control, lane assist, etc. It's standard on all trims while a $1,000 extra on the Civic. But get a Civic or Mazda3.

>Engine is underpowered
So much this. Even the civic sedans have more felt acceleration, and I know you don't really care about it, but it's the difference between easing on or flooring it to merge onto the freeway. If you don't have the petal to the floor when getting on the freeway in a corolla, chances are you're not getting on the freeway.

Civics feel more 'zippy', underpowered as well but for the size to power ratio you're not doing nearly as bad as a corolla is.

I feel like i've seen quite a few people say to just save up a bit more and go for the 2016+ where everything is substantially improved over the 15.

>Any questions about the Civic? Can answer.
how are the newer models for tall-ish people?

i'm 6 2 and my 98 kills me getting in and out of it.

Newer models are great, but that will certainly be quite a bit to save up for. I'd rather get a CPO or used model instead of a new one.

Although, the newer it is, hopefully the longer it will last.

Get a Mazda3. ESPECIALLY if you're getting an automatic, since the Mazda has a real auto transmission while the civic and corolla have garbage CVTs

>garbage CVT
Please explain how CVT is garbage.

i'm thinking a used 2016, brand new is just out out of my budget.

know anything about finances?

>used 2014
vs.
>new 2016
>one is cheaper than the other
Really gets the noggin joggin.

sorry, i think i may have came across the wrong way when i said if you know anything about finances.

i was genuinely asking if you knew about finances because i wanted your opinion on my situation.

The Civic's CVT is actually good

The difference between a new 2016 civic and a used 2016 civic with 10k miles is completely negligible, you might as well buy new at that point. You're looking at a $700 difference fair market value at best, most likely being significantly less. At that point, you might as well buy new.

Get a low mileage 8th gen Si. Handling is fantastic, it's fairly low in weight, the transmission is great, and it has a rev happy engine that goes to 8k RPM. Even the R18 base models are vaguely fun compared to their competitors.

The 1.5T with a CVT is faster than the old Si

Just get a new SI. Save up.

But then you can get an optioned Accord which is a much nicer daily driver

Will this still be true 6 months from now?

I bought a 2017 civic hatch just a few days ago, and I'm loving it. If you're buying new, make sure you pick up one with a turbo. I have plenty of space and the car handles like it wants to be driven. I'd recommend it.

All these people giving CVTs shit base their experiences with mostly Nissan who doesn't even make their own transmissions.

Only if you get the V6, the 4 banger Accord is underpowered. Plus I'd rather have a cheaper Civic LX without all the fancy shit I'll never use, outside of sensing.
Yes.
Wanted the sedan.

>didn't read the original post
Also your opinion is retarded.

Your posts make me nauseous.

Makes sense, being wrong would make me sick too. Good thing I don't have that problem.

I have a 13 Accord Sport that I bought new when it was first released, 80k miles and still runs like the day I bought it.
Don't listen to the fags downplaying Honda's CVT, it drives better than the standard automatic and also gets bitchin mpg.

Whoa a 4 year old car still runs.

I'm crazy impressed bro

Yeah, I know. I was going to buy a 16 Coupe 1.5T as a second car to my 8th gen LX. It's really nice and is definitely faster, but feels way too Accord-like. Heavy, no steering feel, CVT with shift points is odd, little road feel. Jumping back in my 8th after that was eye opening to how far new cars have come, but they lose a lot of the shit.

>Economy car
>caring about power
The 4 banger Accord can get 40 mpg on the highway with a light foot, has a massive fucking tank, and much nicer seats. Why the fuck do you even need power in a commuter car?

You mean nauseated. If you were nauseous, you would make others nauseated.

OP here, the Accord is WAY out of my price range for what I'm looking for. I'd rather get a newer civic with less wear for significantly less, plus I need something small and easy to park.

hrv/ fit

Get an older Accord and a backup cam

Why does it have to be a new civic??
For the amount of money you're spending you can find many stereotypical Veeky Forums cars and fun cars that are a bit older,
Also..

>When a corolla looks more like an EP3 civic Type-R than an actual civic..

>there will never be another 2 door Si hatch

Feels bad, man.

>hey guys I'm looking at a honda civic or toyota corolla which should I get?
>blatant shitposting of everything that's not a civic or corolla
Never change Veeky Forums

>viable alternatives is the same as blatant shitposting

No you idiot, blatant shitposting is a 15 year old Civic Si shitbox when OP wants a modern daily driver

>OP wants a modern daily driver
Then OP is a moron that doesn't understand old cars can still function and drive just as well as brand new cars. Why spend more for little to no added benefit? He wants a base model 2014 civic, you can't take his opinion seriously.

>I've never driven anything besides a hand me down shitbox Civic: the post

Not true, I drive an 03 town car, which is a great car.

I'm in school and make about $2k/month, do you think a 2016 is out of my budget?

how tall are you?

>being a literal poorfag

I think a bicycle is in your best interests at that point.

probably.

being poor isn't fun.

Iktf

The Corolla and Camry are pretty mediocre right now. On the other hand, the Civic is pretty much the best cheap car on the market right now.

>I am autistic and don't understand how language works

I know, that's why I pointed out your mistake, so you'll learn to not make the same mistake.

OED says you're wrong, retard.

You mean the dictionary that just added craptacular to their book? I'll be sure to take their word.

How is the corolla mediocre ?

>Either picking up a Civic or Corolla
Is this even a choice? Civic v Ferrari is a real choice.

Most likely they are basing it off weak cars like the corolla/sentra or some abused rental they had. If you get altima/accord or stronger engines the cvt wont feel as "rubbery" or sluggish.
Main some point of cvts is fuel economy so either way its retarded to bitch about it on econoboxes