The "forever car" - does it exist?

So I was browsing local classifieds as is normal when bored and started wondering, is there actually such a car as a "forever car"

What do i mean by this? Simply, a car you can buy at a young age (say 16-25) and have it run reliably, comfortably, enjoyable and cheap.
Then be able to start modifying/altering the car for maybe less reliability or comfort but a much more enjoyable ride without spending ridiculous money when you're able to afford a decent daily, without ever feeling the need/necessity to sell the car.

So what I come to you today with is a question - what would you pick as your "forever" car?

Pic - moog's forever car

W123 Benz diesel

volkswagen beetle

not to be confused with the new beetle

This is my "forever car," even though that name is pretty gay. I Dr myself upgrading it and enjoying it for as long as I can.

My e30

As long as I can buy a timing belt

ae86/aw11

I wonder how many miles a chassis can go before it turns to shit, assuming you replace the engine and tranny.

I already have it

At some point every car that lasts that long is a Theseus ship.

Fun fact: I know an older guy who bought one new and still owns it. He doesn't drive it much and probably hasn't driven it in the winter in the last 20 years, if ever.

TIL forever cars only have to run for about 90000km before requiring an engine rebuild
>inb4 rotary fags try to defend this

Volvo 9/7/240

>being utterly clueless about NA rotaries that aren't the renesis

The engine in the FB actually lasts much longer without a rebuild.

Buy a 911.
Every time a new generation comes out, buy a new one in the same color.
No one will notice until you die.

maybe an old civic? I like my EG and they are so cheap, easy to work on, and parts are plentiful. however ive had my truck and my vw beetle for almost a decade now and still have no interested in selling either of them.

I've owned a classic mini similar to that one for over 10 years (bought it in my early 20s), and it's definitely a car that you can (and will want to) keep forever. I've never found any real reasons to get rid of it. It's fun to drive, cheap as shit to run, and holds value like a boss.

So yeah, unless you're a vapid ADHD-riddled moron that needs a new car every six months to compensate for a miserable life, you can and should keep at least one car for the long haul. It's well worth it.

the single worst poobaru for modification, minimal to no parts sharing and the actual market consists of ebay exhaust headers and a few brands of swaybars.

Toyota Corolla

Jaguar XJ8 X350

how fucking long have you been waiting to slip "theseus' ship" into a conversation

Probably since 9th grade philosophy because it's not that obscure of a reference

I intend to keep my 2005 Outback forever. I always own 2 or 3 cars at a time but for some reason the outback is the one I want to put a million km on.

Might need to do timing chains one day but it will be a good excuse to drink some beers.

Not really that long. It's a common paradox

Renault 4l.
People still cross the Sahara with them. Cheap, basically all you need is a screwdriver to fix it. They will be on the road long after the humanity disapear

this 2bh
my dad turned 51 this year and still owns one that he's had since he was 19 (but it got used for a kit car not long after he built it)

All those describe an fbody. Here's mine, since I was 18 I've put over 260k miles on it.

I guess the next question would be is the cost worth it. To which the answer is usually no unless it's something rising in value (NSX, Porsche, etc.)

>minimal to no parts sharing
You're talking to the guy that's cobbled it together with mostly parts from other Subarus, especially the 02 WRX, which by the way its engine bolts right in with just a turbo crossmember and a merged wiring harness. Once you get the WRX motor in there, which is an extremely common swap, the aftermarket opens up a lot.

The second gen Legacy is basically a longer GC/GD WRX, the entire 04 STi suspension bolts right in as long as you change the top hats on the struts.

It is usually never worth it unless it's something like a buggati atlantique or Ferrari GTO. The people that do that, myself included are poorly attached by sentiment

>Poorly
Purely*

Honda Civic

a sammy probably

Well, I've owned this little chap for around 8 and a half years now, and I don't intend to ever sell it.

The biggest expense by far was buying it (frighteningly it is now worth more than double what I paid for it). It started off as a standard 850, but I worked away on it for a while and now it's done up like a 60s boy racer car - like the guy who wanted a Cooper but couldn't afford one outright.

It really is a fantastic thing, and now that I've had it a while, very cheap to maintain. Minis were so numerous that it's still very easy to get parts cheaply, and I don't see that changing any time soon.

Catch: all of the metal from the windscreen forwards will need replaced at some point, and that's a four-figure job.

bingo

Yes.