/agdg/ - Amateur Game Development General

To boldly go where no dev has been before.

> Play Comfy Jam!
itch.io/jam/agdg-comfy-jam

> Play Demo Day 12!
itch.io/jam/agdg-demo-day-12

> Upcoming Demo Day 13
itch.io/jam/agdg-demo-day-13

> Helpful links
New Threads: Archive: boards.fireden.net/vg/search/subject/agdg
AGDG Logo: pastebin.com/iafqz627

> Previous Thread
> Previous Demo Days
pastebin.com/KUSDs9vt

> Previous Jams
pastebin.com/8DFkkce3

> Engines
Construct 2: scirra.com/construct2
GameMaker: yoyogames.com/gamemaker
Godot: godotengine.org
LÖVE: love2d.org
UE4: unrealengine.com
Unity: unity3d.com

> Models/art/textures/sprites
opengameart.org
blender-models.com
mayang.com/textures

> Free audio
freesound.org/browse
incompetech.com/music
freemusicarchive.org

Other urls found in this thread:

catlikecoding.com/unity/tutorials/
gamasutra.com/blogs/RaduMuresan/20150804/250403/Achieving_a_quotwalls_on_firequot_effect_using_simple_shader_changes.php
youtube.com/watch?v=DiIoWrOlIRw
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

Professional idea guy here willing to help all video game makers for free

Ask me anything

What progress of yours will grace this thread?

Hopefully mechanical or stage progress in the next day or so.

Repost from the end of last thread.
Quick question for the thread incase anyone has been in my situation before.
I am currently working on a turn based rpg reminiscent of early SMT games, dungeons would be viewed from a first person perspective, but then it will switch to a separate format for the actual combat.
I was wondering if there are any resources for going about implementing this system, and what the best program would be to design a game like this (or if I would have to make one from scratch)

Anybody know how these are?
catlikecoding.com/unity/tutorials/

I figured out animation in unity, of course I also but in the frames for one of them backwards...

I'm going to bed soon. But tomorrow I'll start making progress! I haven't devved in weeks.

Got my first terrain up and running, with mountains (brown), hills (ochre), plains (light green), forests (dark green), and water (violet). At the moment just a random pick per tile.
Water can not be traversed and links are detected and severed accordingly.
Also got the first GUI for overlays on the right.

If I can finish my pathfinding, I guess I'll post it

I only know of recommendations for them.

What's up /agdg/? I am taking a quick census regarding 3d platformer collectathon games. If you could take a short minute to answer the following questions and share your opinions I'd be most grateful. Please feel free to answer in as much or little words as you want.
>1.What do you enjoy most about the genre? What do you think improvements could be made towards it?
>2. What is your favorite collectathon game? What is it you enjoyed most about said game and how it was implemented?
>3.What was it that made the genre fun for you? This does not limit to gameplay, visuals/sounds, or mechanics.
>4. The genre has changed and aged, just as any does, since the dawn of the 3d era. Has it changed for the better or worse, why, and how?
>5. There has been a resurgence of the 3d collectathon genre, particularity with indie devs and kickstarter programs. Based on what you've seen of these projects do you like the direction of them, and would they possibly better the genre or worsen it?
>6. What are some bad elements of collectathon games that are overused/unneeded, and examples of such? How do you think these elements could be improved?
If anyone also wants to elicit any discussion on the subject of collectathons, I would be more than happy to talk about mechanics, design, or other elements.

>just came up with an amazing original concept
>really motivated to make game
>it's bedtime and I don't want to fuck up my schedule

Help

Just looking at the overall presentation and topics covered, seems like they're pretty decent.

I imagine your coding skills would have to already be intermediate or higher, though.

Write it down, get hyped again tomorrow.

that's funny, I was just reading this article and considering using a shader like it. gamasutra.com/blogs/RaduMuresan/20150804/250403/Achieving_a_quotwalls_on_firequot_effect_using_simple_shader_changes.php

I like "squigg" as a name

write it down, do it tomorrow, read fiction 15 mins to flush your mind.

sure, tell it to me and I'll make it for ya, bud

I did, I wrote down pages of shit and made some drawing mockups

I hope to fucking God I'm not the lazy piece of shit I always am in the morning

Yeah. They seem pretty good and on the comprehensive side, if a bit complex for beginners. I'm planning to go through them tomorrow unless somebody says they're particularly awful. Would it be worth posting back with how I actually found them in practice if I do? I notice the tutorial bit on the website is a bit sparse.

Who runs the website? There much work for it going on?

noice, saved
fishmen are invading coastal japan
done!

Post about it in the thread tomorrow, fag. I'll be looking for you. You can make it dude.

Doorknobs become carnivorous, victims need a helping hand.

Huh sweet, thanks for the link. I was trying to find a better way to make the effect I was going for.

Hear me out- any place where you are confined for a lifestyle can make for an RPG setting
>boarding school
>prison
>village/countryside
>military base

>tfw a really good programmer and have unique ideas to make a game
>waiting for my talented artist friend to have free time so she can draw all the characters and level designs to work with

Nice~
I'm counting this as a yesdev moment for me.

how did you do the one on the squigg? I like how it shimmers

>catholic monastery

>hippie commune

>cruise ship that got lost at sea

made a modern snap to over the shoulder style control scheme for guns.

fucking shadowplay broke again so not the best quality.

>hippie commune
That reminds me how my brother big teenage rebellion was to become a radical christian since our mum was a hippie.

strongly reminds me of those "algorithm learns to walk" videos where the walkers get pelted with fuckhuge boxes

The exact implementation:

Loop through the entire image, moving 6 pixels at a time.

Grab a random 3x3 near that point (+- 3 pixels)

Move the entire chunk in a +- 1 pixel direction, in one of the 8 possible directions (N NE E SE S SW W NW )

Get 5 separate pictures doing this, then string together for an animation.

lol

because its the same kind of thing.

I had a Zelda II like idea so I'm doing it out of boredom.

But strangely I'm having fun, though I'll probably drop it once I reach the "need enemies and art" part of the development process again.

is the jab and vertical slash meant to be 2 different kinds of attacks? Like the slash is stronger bus slower? If so, I'd like to recommend instead of the slash having consistently slow speed and no startup frames, give it some startup frames and have it slash quickly (or accelerate quickly).

find an artist friend who likes video games too I personally met a few off of reddit programming collab partners and meetups for gamedevs in my city. There is most likely a community near you in person

In which increasing lightmap resolution increases quality.

Thanks, user!

In which they don't.

>is the jab and vertical slash meant to be 2 different kinds of attacks? Like the slash is stronger bus slower?
Exactly, need to improve the animations later.

I'm trying to avoid getting carried away by adding combos as usual, just keeping 2 attacks, maybe 3, and a bunch of spells later.
I want to keep this as simple as possible.

I'm not participating in any code jams, but I figured I'd post some progress. I know it looks bleh but I'm focusing on UI functionality at this stage of my item system's development.

Here I do normal drag and drop and stack split with "stickydrag" and "stickydrop" (i.e. you have to click to drop), within the same container and within different ones.
There are a couple of things I don't show, like the system preventing a stickydrop if it is performed on a full-stack of the same item or a different item while the container is full.
Item usage for consumables works, but I have no visible feedback other than the stack quantity decreasing. That's my next task, and after that comes the UI for equipment slots (the number and type of which can vary from unit-to-unit as I've designed it to already).

An unrelated, yet cool thing is that I designed this in a way that allows me to edit the asset files in the custom EditorWindows I made while play mode is active and changes will take effect immediately. This means I could make that axe non-unique in the editor and the game would be able to act upon that immediately (ex: re-hovering the item to show the correct up-to-date tooltip) without having to restart or reload assets. Most of the fields represented by an item are actually held in a single location; the memory footprint is much smaller because even if I had 1000 health potions, almost all of their fields are just references to a singular readonly data object (assigned only when the item is created).

Furthermore, models and views are separated by adapters; derived EventArgs classes with EventHandlers are used for most communication. I use Unity's EventSystem for a couple of things, like the initial pointer actions and button presses; that's probably like 10% of the events being sent around.

It took a while, but I'm moving forward more quickly now.

In that case, in addition to my previous suggestion, you could go the route many top-down Zeldas go, and have a basic jab/slash followed by a charged swing/attack by holding and charging the button. It doesn't have to be along the horizontal plane either, since the Z direction is useless here. Could be across the XY plane.

How do you make sex a part of gameplay?

A charge attack for the 3rd attack?

I actually like that idea a lot, adds another attack that is optional but useful. Thanks.

>dat tit jiggle
subtle

>tfw toaster PC can't handle sculpting 1 million polygons in blender

>polygons
What's that in units of triangles?

I got a menu working. I'm not gonna make it.

Now when the weapon arc hits a collider it has a little knockback and particle effect.

Also added a fade for the weapon arc so it doesn't simply delete itself after a few seconds in air.

>maining blue block
I believe in you!

that screencap's actually pretty funny

you shouldn't even have over 10k polys.

sorry meant tris

Using unity in 2d can I have a base sprite (ie naked/bald body) then overlay hair and clothes separately?
I'd like players to be able to have options but I don't want to draw up full sprites for each one.

Lolwut, Spyro 1 had maps of 35k tris

make it as part of the combat or something. Note that this does not work well at all with stuff that isn't turn-based because being able to continue at your pace is important.

you're better off asking the /d/ or /aco/ chapters of /agdg/

>try going to a real art/music/programming community and ask opinion of professionals to completely slay you
Why? I don't make things for other professionals to shit on I make them because fans like it.

I'll never understand the need by some to fit in with what they imagine to be their peers. Fuck your peers. They're just competition (and not strong competition either).

>not everyone is a winner
So true.

>mapping in blender

what

Ironic.
>Fuck your peers.
Fuck you too, user.

That's what I do

It really isn't that hard.

Neat. I'm glad I'm making a game that won't need that level of map detail though...no offense.

>tfw laying out colliders for that

it's not that it's hard you're just going to have shit optimization with a single map model no?

personally I'd make a bunch of models I could setup individually and move around instead of in one set.

I haven't played the early SMT games, but I;\'m making my rpg in Unity. Lewdest Labyrinth was made in Unity too.

What do you use for mapping?
I've never tried an actual mapping tool before.

any good Blender tutorials you guys recommend?

Make a child gameobject and attach a sprite component to it, then position it at the top of the head?
Then you can use code to assign the sprite at runtime.
That's my initial instinct; maybe there's some special unity feature.

go through the cgcookie beginner stuff

then get
Mastering Modeling in Blender – Workshop

you will be a pro.
all of this can be pirated

This is the perfect starter tutorial:

youtube.com/watch?v=DiIoWrOlIRw

Starting out with Unity, but it's not my first engine.

Are there any must have free tools or plugins?

For paid, I know Shaderforge and Rewired are pretty useful.

thanks bro this is a pretty good one

Hi guys, I don't really come here and I'm sure you've been asked before, some of you likely already have someone to help you with this or are taking care of it yourself, but does anyone need someone to provide music for what you are working on? I am a musician trying to make some money and this is the only place I could find and think of to ask.

post soundcloud

Does anyone know a good tutorial for low poly texturing? Doesn't even need to be a tutorial just a vid of a guy.

too broad, what do you want to texture? what materials?

I'm sure a few people here are looking for music. Usually, you'll want to post a sample of your work or genres you are comfortable with.

There used to be an agdg soundcloud page, I can't find it for some reason, though

characters probably. and when I mean materials I mean UV stuff.

I know the basics very well but getting that detail is a problem.

Uh, well, I don't have a soundcloud exactly. I did a while ago but I deleted it. I figured you could just show me something or tell me some aspects about your game and we would go from there.

That's not how this works. You need to show what you can do.

I see. I could try to dig for a recording or make a new one if you like. I think I could pretty well compose for just about any style, I have been mostly studying classical music lately.

it's not really any different for low res stuff

they key is to make sure your UV islands are square and aligned to the grid so that the pixels can pick them up. i suggest going over to models-resource.com and downloading the kind of models you want to replicate

for your low poly UV stuff, take a look at the Mega Man Powered Up models on the PSP, i think they were 128x128 pixels and the UVs are professionally done.

hope this helps.

Thanks bud but it seems like I'm just gonna have to bite the bullet and keep it simple.

this

>for your low poly UV stuff, take a look at the Mega Man Powered Up models on the PSP, i think they were 128x128 pixels and the UVs are professionally done.

that sounds good thank you user.

Dude, what said is EXTREMELY simple. Parenting gameobjects and changing sprites in code is easy.

points for creativity, i guess

lets collab guys

how would we actually accomplish a successful agdg small game collab of 5 levels game

Okay guys give me a little bit, I am in the living room right now, going to go set up my laptop and microphone in my room.

Most likely AGDG collab to succeed is a ghetto rigged minigame compilation with a fixed theme.

One person codes it while 4 make levels.

I guess art and music could be delegated among the level designers.

alright this is a good start

what kinds of mini game?

what themes does agdg like?

how would we communicate effectively

But I'm not very good at this...

Discord / some other chat client just use discord you fucking luddites

Unity also has built in collab support with some kind of version control now.

Did you try the first step of parenting one sprite to another?

Shit like Wario Ware mini games. "click on this character's head as fast as you can, among a sea of other character heads." and the like. You know. Minigames.

As for themes... AGDG seems to like the usual shit other people like. Pirates, Space, Mechas, Loli, Ninjas, Moe Girls, etc

yeah, but the separate mini games can be separate programs that are built separately otherwise it can have bugs or be too difficult to integrate it into one single program.

Like the main game is just a title screen program with continue or or new game, and then closes its window and runs the appropriate other game.

each level is then a separate program, which returns 1 or 0 based on if they beat the level or failed it.

then the launcher program makes a window again and if it was you beat the level then it records what you are up to for continue game to work, and does the same for the next one.

otherwise it says how many lives and if not continue then restart from level one.

or something like that maybe

>how would we communicate effectively
One super dedicated coordinater, and just doing it directly in the threads.

>just use the botnet you fucking luddites