Connecting Phone to old radio

so i have a Kenwood kdc-mp4036 receiver and i literally have no idea on how to connect my phone to it to play music, I've tried connecting via the usb port and nothing happens. any ideas on how to play music through my phone?

Other urls found in this thread:

theautomotiveindia.com/forums/do-yourself/14176-diy-adding-aux-kenwood-head-units.html
aliexpress.com/item-img/Car-Aux-adapter-cable-For-Kenwood-CD-Player-Russia-Japen-Freeshipping/32239190649.html#
twitter.com/AnonBabble

Apparently this works with iPods. When you tried the USB port, was the music on your phone's default music library or were you using an app?

i have a nexus 6p so the stock music app is google play music, idk how to do it otherwise

The USB port is for flash drives. Won't connect to your phone.

yeah thats what i was thinking, worth a try anyway

you might be able to use the cd changer Line in
depends on pin out and how to trick the sense pin
theautomotiveindia.com/forums/do-yourself/14176-diy-adding-aux-kenwood-head-units.html

also there are a bunch of pre made aux connectors
aliexpress.com/item-img/Car-Aux-adapter-cable-For-Kenwood-CD-Player-Russia-Japen-Freeshipping/32239190649.html#

It will if you set USB mode to MTP.

also the pdf for your stereo seems to think it has an inbuilt line-in

im gonna go out to my car now and try my phone again in MPT mode, if that doesnt work i'll just buy one of those cables linked earlier

i set my phone to PTP(my phone doesn't have MTP?) mode whilst it was plugged in and the display read "reading" for about 20 seconds and then it said "no music".
here is the options for usb in the pic

"transfer files" is mtp

yeah i just tried the 'transfer files' option and the same thing happened, it said 'reading' for 20 secs or so and then 'no music'

i think im better off just buying a cord for 12 bucks and then sorting it our that way. thanks anons

Get a radio transmitter

nah those things are shitty and i really just want an aux or type c cord i can plug my phone into

You can easily derive mini jack out of the back of your radio. Route it through your glove box.

try this OP

neat I didn't know about that. I'd just get the cable if your icuck phone won't work OP.

thanks anons for the help, i bought a cord on ebay and it should arrive soon, hopefully that works

Kenwood likes to hide the aux inputs on the back of their head units. Check the back

I have this exact radio I just connect the USB into my phone and it works by playing music also charges my phone

I didn't want to make a new thread for this, but would it be possible to add a USB port to an old radio? I want to buy a period appropriate radio for my car with a tape player and everything, but I enjoy having the ability to play music from my phone while charging it at the same time.

Would it be a matter of just opening it up, cutting a hole in the front, sticking a USB female plug in there and soldering some shit?

Probably, if you tore apart a DAC first. A lot of people have hacked aux input lines to those old radios