Cold air intakes

Do they work Veeky Forums?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=xwNtjKT_1cA
twitter.com/AnonBabble

If properly attached,

just like niggers.

Really good if you wanna run some water through your engine to freshen it up after a bit of rain

Depends on the car, some cars like mine (eclipse 4g) can gain up to 15 hp while on other cars they can be useless.

Trips of truth

Would it be good on a mustang?

if you have that much water heading up into your engine bay you have bigger problems.

as for CAIs that sit lower, you can get wraps for them that don't impede air flow.

Ah, it's just a joke. My dad locked the engine on my sisters Mazda 3 doing that.

Post dyno or gtfo

your typical ricer "cold" air intake on a naturally aspirated car just reduces power and increases noise

yes

they made my miata come alive, more power in the high rpms (estimated 15hp increase) totally worth it!

Just placebo effect. Although it can be nice if you want a more throaty sound.

Sounds cool.

The very definition of snake oil.

Depending on the engine, yes they can. On anemic 4 cylinder engines, probably not.

If you have something making at least 200 hp, yes you will notice a difference.

I had a p71 crown vic with the final build of the 4.6 modular motor. Had the upgraded heads and what not, and it had the 3.55 rear end. I noticed a decent difference on that car as well as my mustang.

Really it comes down to back pressure, which is why anemic 4 cyl engines can actually see a power drop with them. You need enough back pressure to see a power increase. And it still needs to get the coolest air possible. On another note, the power increase is because your engine can take in a larger volume of air, not the cold air aspect. It's really a misnomer because from the factory your car's intake is routed to take in outside air.

i think you dont know what that word means

No.

9/10 your factory airbox is better. Swap the paper filter for a K&N panel or similar.

Cone filters should only be used when packaging is an issue.

>back pressure

Opinion discarded.

youtube.com/watch?v=xwNtjKT_1cA

i know it's one car and only a difference of 7hp and it'll differ from car to car, but anyone flatout saying they do nothing should really sit quietly in the corner.

On another note, CAIs are really a basis for other performance upgrades such as cams, forced induction, etc.

Which goes back to the whole issue with pressure. The more intake and exhaust back pressure you have in the system, the larger benefit you will see from a CAI.

So if you take a 91 civic making 100hp and slap 3" exhaust and a huge fucking CAI on it, power is going to drop because the engine isn't flowing enough air to benefit from it and overall those mods will lower the system pressure and be detrimental to it because it barely had any pressure to begin with.

Now, take cammed out corvette and upgrade the intake to a CAI and throw the proper diameter exhaust on it, you will see a power increase because the old intake and exhaust were choking the system.

>Does adding someone that makes my engine breath easier improve anything?

I don't know, you tell me.

Clearly you don't know wtf you're talking about, because back pressure is a real thing. The term may have become a meme, but intake and exhaust pressure affects how much air you can flow.

Please explain to me how back pressure aids or hinders an intake system.

When done correctly

How is it done correctly?

Like this. 50 hp increase minimum if its a red one, too.

If your car was made 1000 years ago, and doesn't have a cai stock, and you install it correctly, with the shielding + tubing to outside, and you shorten the intake runner, and you tune afterwards (since your car is 1000+ years old and has no MAF), yes. On modern cars, the only way it will give you more power is of you do a MAF delete, and alpha-n tune your car. Lots of work for a 6hp gain, right?

Everything is alot of work and money for marginal HP gains on a n/a engine. That's the sad truth.

Intake and exhaust are connected, entry and exit diameter affect the pressure at both ends. Like a garden hose. There's a sweet spot between too restricted and too free flowing to force the air through the engine.

Its all about the volume of air you can push through the engine, but you need the proper intake and exhaust pressures to actually move it. Again, like a garden hose.

This has nothing to do with back pressure and everything to do with optimum static pressure and flow.

Back pressure is caused by pressure acting afainst the direction of flow, normally caused by restriction. Any amount of back pressure is always bad.

When people say "you need back pressure" they're chatting shit. What you need is a fluid path of the right dimensions for optimum flow.

Almost every stock car comes with a CAI. You need cool air to meet power and efficiency requirements. They are however restrictive to keep interior noise low and reduce drone.

my car came with one so I wouldn't know
at certain speeds it makes a whistling noise like a turbo does, and I find that neat

They work but you shouldn't remove the stock air box since it directs cold air from the outside of the vehicle into the intake instead of hot air from the engine compartment. Filters like this draw in more air because the holes in the element are usually bigger than those in stock filters .That being said with more air going in you also need to increase the amount of fuel going into the intake so you don't run a lean air fuel mixture and make you engine less powerful.

yeah no ops pic wont work its not getting enough cold air

You are an absolute retard

>cold air intake
>it sits exposed in the hot engine bay

what did he mean by this?

A V8 with a restrictive intake usually seems some decent gains. You're cancer if you have a no V8 mustang and should promptly fuck off.

yeah nah he's kinda right in a sense

my stock airbox on my 300rwhp 5.7 ls1 was extremely restrictive

got a Over The Radiator and it breaths so much better.

most modern airboxes 2002+ are fine though all they do is muffle intake growl which i personally like unmuffled

You are literally the dumbest person on the planet.

Kill yourself my man

i tried but i aint ded

Imma go kms then

no but they do make it sound nicer

this. an engine naturally runs at higher temperatures. too high and you need high octane fuel, but deliberately lowering the temperature of the engine with extra shit is going to make it asthmatic.

You are so fucking dumb mate. Please end your car life style.

he's right and you're an ignorant fucker. An engine is driven and sustained by compression and vacuum forces. fuel injection/carb nurtures this when you open the throttle.