Unneeded Auto Features

Personally I don't give a shit about back up cams, heated mirrors, lane keep assist, cruise assist, 7 inch apple car play displays, electric seats, muh dual climate control etc.

Im all for getting the newest safety features structurally and collision wise but I hate it that the normies really think they needs all this shit.

Car companies are just stuffing more tech into the cars charging a premium but many times it the "standard base model". Just more shit to break imo.

Other urls found in this thread:

google.com/maps/timeline?authuser=0
twitter.com/AnonBabble

I know tons of ppl with a sunroof...never see them use it.

>Just more shit to break
I've never actually seen shit like this fail unless it was poorly made from the get go

I have no problem with backup cameras, especially on vehicles that have horrifyingly shit visibility. Seriously, try turning your head back to look behind yourself in a Charger, you're just going to see the god damn trunk and not much else.

Heated mirrors are fantastic you probably just live in SoCal or something where they aren't needed.

Dual climate is good for when I'm driving with someone who thinks 60° is 'cold' and wants the heat on but I'm fine just getting slightly cooled air

But 'features' that are truly worthless are sunroofs, all they do is eat head room. Seriously I'm not that tall of a person but I got in a Navigator with one and ended up with my head against the sunroof cover

Backup cams on trucks,vans, larger vehicles yea.

Now cams are standard on fucking civics and corollas. I really just think ppl esp. Amerifats cannot park.

I actually do live in the Midwest and get a decent amount of snow yearly. Since Im cleaning off my car if its not in the garage I simply wipe the mirror of just the same.

As far as seats go. lets be honest here. you probably set your seat fucking once and drive that way for months.

Electric seats are nice because they offer more adjustments than the cheap seats.

Usually properly designed shit in cars doesn't break down. As far as your list goes:

>backup cameras
The average person has trouble driving as it is and rear visibility in cars keeps getting worse and worse. Even the cheap radios in cars now come with a color screen, it costs barely anything to add a background camera in and makes it less likely that someone backs into your car.

>heated mirrors
This is really nice in the northeast when it's cold out and windy and snow is blowing against your sideview. Also in melting any accumulated ice.

>lane keep assist
Ehhhh, I have it and it really isn't needed, agreed. It could help but it's really hard for cars to determine that they are "in lane" merely because of road lines not being consistent.

>cruise assist
This will just become more common because pedestrian avoidance/forward collision mitigation systems both benefit from the same set of sensors. Tons of car accidents are rear ends.

>Electric seats
I've never had one stop working and it's nice if multiple people drive the same car as the memory on different sets of keys can be tied in so it starts adjusting the seat after you unlock your car and are walking to it.

>Dual climate control
If you drive yourself you might have opinions but it's nice to have the temperature regulate the A/C & Heat, particularly with factory built in remote start.

>7 inch displays with Carplay
Carplay and Android auto are asking automakers to stop trying to make their own buggy shit and let software companies drive the radio and let car companies make the hardware It's a win win as long as the controls are good and there's plenty of real buttons to supplement it.

I open mine rarely - to vent farts. The shade/door under the moonroof is almost always open (e.g. the moonroof/sky are visible). I love the additional light I get in my car most of the time.

I use my sunroof religiously.

Nicer until they break and get stuck. Then they're the fucking worst.

ABS + Traction Control

Don't you fucking make the wheels do something I don't want them to do.

use mine all the time, never full open though.

When cruising at highway, turn the blower off, open the vent roof and it vents and pulls in warm fresh air.

You're the minority. I forgot I even had one.

I never had a car with all that so I don't know lol. Heated sets seem superfluous, but where I live it never gets under -5c

Never had one break. Stop driving unreliable shitbrain?

Cruise assist is amazing for me because it means if I set cruise control to 70 mph but come up behind somebody doing 69 1/2 mph I don't have to keep messing with it and it keeps a good follow distance to boot. This is especially nice when I take longer trips and am on the interstate for hours at a time.

I like the sunroof because I can open it up and let air in without it crashing into the side of my face or drowning out my music.

Backup cam means more precision parking and less hazards to worry about. I drove for years without one just fine but it is a nice feature to have.

yeah i want my wheels to lock up!

>lives in Midwest
>never had ice in his mirrors
>never had his mirrors fog up and need to wipe them with his hand
>then the skin oil is in the mirror and it looks like crap anyways
I call bullshit, mr so-cal

TCS usually has a switch

People who complain about ABS are the worst, and usually just want to be Ken Block

-all this phone connect shit. i want to drive my car not write fucking whattsapp messages or read twitter.
-reading lights
-virtual cockpit

heard of side mirrors? who cares what you can see through the back window.

You wont even find me in a cuck state like Cali.

Oh no! Muh mirrors got some snow on them! Too bad I don't have fucking heated mirrors to resolve this.

Stop pretending Texas is the Midwest.

Nav units are the biggest waste of money add-on there is maybe 2nd to sunroof.

Especially now since everyone and their step-sons mom has a smartphone.

refer to this post I live by the great ol lakes.

lol when youre too pussy to wipe snow off your mirror.

>still can't refute ice on mirrors
>literally any bit of water is automatically snow
If you live by the Great Lakes, you'd know that ice on mirrors sucks, and not just snow collects on them. How's the weather down south anyways, Florida Man?

If I were you, I wouldn't be pretending to live in the Midwest and just relish in the nice weather you get all of the time.

They're nice from the perspective that if you lose/damage your phone they're still there and they're generally integrated with speed limit info/road name in any HUD or screens in the gauge cluster, but considering factory nav is usually $795+ to add into a car it's not worth THAT much. Eventually I think automakers will reduce the price for built in nav.

backup cams are now standard in canada and heated mirrors are godlike

>he's such a pussy, he can't man up and concede
>he's just going to pretending like ice doesn't happen on mirrors CUZ HES A MAN

>literally any bit of water is automatically snow. Not how snow works faggot.

Firstly, who said this retard?

Shit how has anyone survived here without heated side mirrors?

Betas like you literally damage controlling for heated mirrors because you can't function without them. Hahaha

my old truck never had heated mirrors, scraping ice off mirrors is a bitch and then you have to readjust them

what a godsend heated mirrors are

>he's a poor fag without a garage.
Confirmed numale has to buy heated mirrors and doesn't own a heated garage.

You were the guy who kept ignoring any reference to ice and just kept bring up snow. So you said that retard.

Nobody said that anybody would die without heated mirrors, it's just a rediculously stupid thing to hate on unless you live in the south, like yourself.

I don't even have heated mirrors, it would be nice though, since I live a couple dozen degrees of latitude north of you.

>he's getting so desperate that he switched to the poorfags argument
So do you just drive your car around in the garage all day?

>calls damage control
>goes full damage control
Lmao

He doesn't know how snow works.
He can't remove snow and ice from his Cuckover.

Fuel injection and computer controlled anything to include drive by wire.

>build whatever engine you want with literally whatever components u like
>attach whatever exhaust u like
>tune it with carb and dizzy adjustments
>forced induction super simple just adjust your tune
>smoke modern fags with delayed throttle and shitty "tunes" set for fuel economy and limiters

>backup cams
Absolutely retarded. Even with minimal visibility, backing up isn't that much of a problem.
>heated mirrors
Just scrape ice off yourself in lane keep assist
lol
>cruise assist
lol
>displays
Retarded and tacky.
>electric seats
I've had these break, and it always takes forever compared to manual seat anyways.

I'm completely with you, OP. All this is some gay shit. I'd also add automatic windows. I've never had a manual window break on me. I do kind of like heated seats in the winter.

Grade-AAA faggot over here.

You do make some decent points. I agree on the electric seats, its something most folks adjust so rarely that it doesn't make much sense to have one, although it *does* make it easier to finely adjust your seating position, both when sitting still and while driving

Rear view cameras are helpful, and if you already have a screen it doesn't do any harm to have one. I've installed an aftermarket one in mine, mainly due to two reasons; I cannot see shit in my rear view mirror except for what is the exact same height as the window in my bed top, and because trying to get the truck parked perfectly to pull out a trailer thats 100% frozen to the snow is frustrating as fuck. The camera solves both of these problems

Heated mirrors would be nice. This winter I've been hitting an abnormal amount of fog in sub-zero temperatures, which instantly ices up my mirrors and also my roof-mounted LED bar

Just because you can't afford a car made after the year 2000 doesn't mean the rest of us should live in the stone age.

this

All that being said however, I'm glad as fuck that my wife's 2017 corolla has all this shit because she's a woman and women are stupid so any tech assist that keeps her from smashing into shit and raising our insurance is a plus.

>I agree on the electric seats, its something most folks adjust so rarely that it doesn't make much sense to have one, although it *does* make it easier to finely adjust your seating position, both when sitting still and while driving
Am I the only person who sees a lot of families sharing vehicles? I agree that if you're a young guy living alone that electric seats are not a needed luxury, but if anyone else ever drives your car on a regular basis it's nice to have with driver memory.

>he's so desperate to be right, he time stamps a lump of slush
>and he still can't tell the difference between snow and ice

t. suburban cuck whose wife enjoys her lane assist while driving over to jamal's

But what does the Honda button do?

I already said that lane assistance as a feature was essentially worthless in my prior post. Not only in that you shouldn't need it, but the feature as implemented in modern cars does a piss poor job.

This. Sometimes I drive my mom's outback when I hang out with her. I have to push the second seat memory button right away or else the seat tries to crush me like Indiana Jones.

Those displays are ass and can't function for shit with wonky OS.

>Let's remove the volume knob as well.

This is why I love European cars. Especially Dacia. They put absolutely nothing in their base model cars that isn't required to drive or mandated by law. That's why they start around 6k€ new. They're still reliable cause they use last gen's proven tech from their parent company Renault.

>t. Johan Kleinschwanz the Swiss

>My infotainment system still has a physical knob
It satisfies me very much as an audio engineer

>capcha is a ford dealership
spoopy

Post timestamp outside.

Otherwise Stfu Cleetus.

Why? I'm not desperate to please some triggered bus rider.

It's cool that they're cheap and all that, but they're still garbage.
The shitboxes that don't offer all the modern shit usually look like pic related on the inside.

Haha Cleetus is confirmed bitch made.
Cleetus can't scrap ice off his mirror.

Tablet head units are cancer

>still can't argue against heated mirrors in a way that doesn't make himself look like the idiot
Nice time stamp though, you really made yourself feel good with that one, and impressed exactly nobody else.

He lives in the south and needs to justify his heated mirror add-on when it reaches 50 degrees and there's frost on his mirrors.

Love cruising around with everything down during the summer. Nothing else feels quite like it, but my new car doesn't have a sun roof :(

Oh god, now he's replying to himself.

I've never seen somebody this desperate on a molvanian tank surfing forum before

>I argue it's not needed and I live in North.

You argue its needed because it's 50 degrees outside can't leave work until your frosted mirrors are cleared up pussy.

I never said it's needed. It's just nothing to get (extremely in your case) worked up over them or even complain. It's just another bonus.

If you really need to know that badly, I live in Minnesota. No you don't get a timestamp because I don't have my whole personal identity in jeopardy because of heated mirrors.

Remember, you're the one who thinks if people think they aren't bad, that they apparently can't live without them. Btw that's a false dichotomy.

It's a fucking city-shitbox, it's meant to get you from your house to your office, and it does that while being the cheapest thing ever. What else do you need?

It could be we live in different places

My area has a very low population density and no public transport outside of the schoolbus. Couple that with family members often working different schedules, different shifts, workplaces far from eachother and many other reasons you'll find the result to be that pretty much everyone has their own car.

I know some who do share one car in the family, and I've asked about it - usually they just find one position that is "meh" for everyone and dont touch it

my wife likes it because it lightens her hair. So she says anyway.

I agree. Heated mirrors? touch screens? electric seats? 'dual climate control???'

All this crap. The more complex you build up the plumbing the easier it is to break.

Somehwere about 15 years ago there was a golden spot with enough tech to make the car run but you didn't have over the top gimmicks.

Literally nobody uses the nav on their car over the iphone because the iphone works so much better.

Hopefully the apple iphone paly thing will end the car companies trying to make their own software.

I dont really think I need a screen off of my phone though. They just want to sell you another one.

Heated seats are nice for about 3 minutes before the car heats up and and after the seats heat up. Then you turn them off because its annoying.

Just something else that will break imo. I'll take them if they are in the car but I wouldn't request it or not buy a car that didn't have it.

I live in the midwest and i've never had to even think about ice on my mirrors being a problem. Maybe it was but it was so insignificant that I don't recall it being a problem after i just physically knocked it off.

t. High schooler who just bought a 2000-2005 shitbox

I like all of those things you mentioned because it makes my life more comfortable and easier. Now most of these things are becoming standard equipment all the while the vehicles are staying at their inflation pegged price.

My car has manual EVERYTHING. It was manufactured in the 2000s and it's still got crank windows and headlights that you have to turn on and off yourself. It also weighs 2500 pounds instead of being a goddamn bloated barge like everything else on the road, and it's awesome. Everyone wants a rolling living room even though they view cars as an appliance to get them from one place to another, because they're goddamn spoiled and can't have their hedonistic comfort interrupted for even a moment.

my car was manufactured in the 2000s and weighs 2500lbs and has electric windows, climate control and heated seats. i just wish it had cruise control.

i don't get why auto headlights are a thing, you need to be spectacularly lazy to need those

Auto headlights help with morons in tunnels and in severe rain/at night who forget to turn their headlights on, making other drivers more apt to hit them.

Heated seats are really nice if you're in a really cold environment (as in, regularly below zero windchill) or have them integrated with remote start.

Integrated with remote start is fantastic. The alternator makes enough electricity to get the seats from bone cold to nice in a couple minutes, so you remote start the car as you're putting your shoes and jacket on. Then, when you start your drive and you're waiting for the engine to get to temp (and HVAC to be up to temp accordingly), you're comfy.

Heated seats is a somewhat weird thing over here

Its standard in every single car sold new here (seriously, I've never seen a non-imported car 20 years or newer without them), and with the temperatures we get you'd think people would use them all the time, but no

You'll either have those who constantly use them and love it, both in summer and winter... or you'll have people like me who hate the feeling and just about never use it

I'll only ever use them in my fathers Mitsubishi when its -20c or colder and I'm not wearing thick clothing, as it has leather seats and those suck ass in those temperatures

any feature that makes the car connect to wifi/gps/satelites/bluetooth

have fun with the government knowing your speed and location ALWAYS

I guess that's the difference, my car has leather. I've driven cloth with heated seats and it's not as nearly as bad.

Still, winters at -15F (-26C) plus windchill were enough to make me ask Hertz to always give me Chevys with heated seats + remote start. (They largely stocked Chevy Cruze/Malibu anyway at that location and some of them were equipped with remote start... I was renting weekly and on good terms with the local staff.)

When I ended up buying a new car it came with heated + cooled seats plus remote start. God send with black leather seats.

>your tastes

Kill yourself my man

>Bluetooth

Forget to take your pills today? Hope you don't have a cell phone either

Lel, if you own a cellphone they know it anyways. They get data upstream from Google, Apple, et. al for location services, and from the cell providers too. Even if you don't provide it there are stingrays.

Anybody that owns an Android phone, go here
google.com/maps/timeline?authuser=0
If you haven't changed your privacy settings, pretty fun to see everywhere you've been down to the minute.

Even if you have an iOS or dumphone triangulation is a long employed method of tracking.

Own a phone? Privacy is dead, whether or not your car has onstar.

the most computer I want in my car is a ECU
all that infotainment bullshit can all go to hell

So many people think you have to be calling to be triangulated

>rainstorm
>fucking seattle, where it rains once a week
>people don't have their lights on
I want this to stop

What car you got?

Also lmaoing @ everybody in here talking about seat memory being useful for families who share a car. My ex-girlfriend and I shared an Impreza with a manual seat. She's 5'2" and I'm 6'2". It takes like .5 seconds to move the manual seat. I guarantee you it takes longer in an electric.

Except in an electric seat car each of your driver profiles are set to a set of keys and the electric seat moves everything when you unlock the vehicle

>>never had his mirrors fog up and need to wipe them with his hand

exactly, you wipe the fog/snow/ice/water off with your hand ya vagina.

Sorry youre a normie who needs a rolling office to get groceries.

Not everyone needs their hand held with lane keep assist.

If it keeps your tween ass from t-boneing me while you post to Veeky Forums while driving then I don't see the problem.

Don't worry no one is hitting your shitbox Cuckover guy.

I hope every car in the future is like an NSX Type R or even better like a Lotus Elise. Small = economical and fast. I want as little electronic bloat as possible. That includes aircon and stereo.

It's a fucking car. What more do you expect?

Yep. You don't. The network needs to know where you are in order to route calls made to your phone correctly, otherwise you wouldn't get incoming phone calls. They don't broadcast every call at every tower in case yours is there, the network uses signaling.

I've never had a car without one. I personally wouldn't buy a car if it didn't have a sunroof.

I guess if you don't feel like you need any of that, then that's fine.

Personally, I'm a gizmo guy and I find most of it useful and impressive. As cars and technology move into the future and meld together, I have to say that I'm in awe of what cars can do these days against what was even the most advanced tech in the early 2000's.

More stuff to break? Perhaps, but ostensibly you should just go out and get a Ford Model T if the thought of things breaking keeps you up at night. I simply buy from reputable auto manufacturers, and I don't really hang on to cars for more than five to ten years anyhow. That aside, I am adept at repairs.

A heating element for my seat is nice because I work outdoors. One for my mirrors and wiper blades is nice in case it changes to freezing rain and I don't want to pull over to chip them clean. Lane keep assist and collision avoidance are nice because we're all human and make mistakes.

Why have any radio at all when it can break just as easy as a whiz bang hd unit? I had two stock head units fail in my two Jeeps I've had, and my "fancy" Subaru unit still works just fine.

>Minnesota
fuck this state right now
>week of sun and 50° temps
>friday comes around with a fucking snowstorm and rain/slush
EVERY TIME!

Yeah, but I doubt you will be seeing them age too well, seriously I keep seeing so many Dacia Dusters already starting to rust.

>my wife likes it because it lightens her hair. So she says anyway
Is your wife hot?

Until skynet slowly crushes you against the steering wheel.
You're probably a robot yourself.

Police use it here to locate everyone they need to locate

Makes my "job" of actually finding them so much easier