Hey Veeky Forums, britbong here

Hey Veeky Forums, britbong here

Been looking at getting a small hatchback with around 100-120hp, preferably nice and light to keep it quick. Been looking at stuff like the saxo vts and yaris t-sport cause they are pretty cheap, but they are kind of a pain to find at the right price. Is there anything else thats worth getting with that sort of power/price?

Saxo VTS and its sister car, the 106 GTi. Could also look for a Saxo VTR (8v vs the VTS' 16v).
Maybe a mk3 GTI, though those are probably the worst gen of Golf to wear the GTI badge. Simple cars and reliable engines though.

Also Clio RS 172/182 and various Seat Cupra models (basically cheaper VW Golf/Polo GTIs).

Have fun with insurance on anything in "sporty" trim though, especially if you're under 25 and live in the city.

mk6 fiesta st
all dat torque from the 2L and you can map them up to like 180 stock

>Have fun with insurance on anything in "sporty" trim though, especially if you're under 25 and live in the city.
This, so much this
>own 136hp peugeot 407 sedan
>like 900 merkels/year for basic coverage
>try to get 136hp peugeot 407 coupé
>insurance quote is 1.5k merkels/year

The funniest part: The coupé is slower than the sedan because it is heavier, so I'm paying less, for a slightly better car, with the added bonus of 4 doors and 3 rear seats.

Bottom line: op should buy a volvo instead

Excellent common sense choice

yeah looked at the 106 gti, the saxos are around 7-800 when they come up without mods, the 106s never go below 1k. the vts seems ok, but at that sort of power guess id rather have the yaris

yeah the insurance just kills those ones for me. MAYBE if i got one for like 500 i could just about afford it, but would be totally out of cash for repairs. am 20, but live in a small village so insurance could be worse i guess, getting quotes of about 800 for a yaris/vtr and 1k for a vts full comp, bit less on tpft

all above 1k to buy and the insurance is more than a clio 172 or whatever. maybe in a couple of years, i like how they look, but cant afford it right now

What's your rough budget and insurance situation dude? Would help us advise you a bit better

Import a twingo

If you can deal with LHD in an RHD country this isn't a bad option, really. People have imported 1st gen Twingos into the UK so you could probably find one if you look hard enough.
The 16v models have 75hp, but they only weigh like 900kg and are surprisingly tailhappy so they're great fun to chuck around. They should also be cheap on insurance and they use barely any fuel unless you start hooning, too.

if anything where i am the coupe would be less, less doors is pretty much always cheaper, not that im complaining though. For me its pretty much solely based on number of doors and power, and a tiny bit on engine capacity, hence why i want something small and light.

i would get an mx5, but need the space, plus the insurance is more and they are slower than the other stuff cause of the RWD

How about one of these little shits?

>they are slower than the other stuff cause of the RWD
drivetrain layout is not important for street cars anyway

What about prelude/celica? Hot hatches are expensive and have been out of fashion for 20 years so no one makes good ones anymore

rough budget is about 1.7 - 2k, insurance is about 1k for the vts (120bhp) and 800 for vtr and yaris (100bhp) want to leave a bit on top for tax as well (about 200 on average) as well as maybe 100 or so for repairs. theres a few yaris's about for around 700, only 1 vts but its about 800, so probably going to have to wait for a better deal.

I have a while to buy anything, so dont mind waiting until the right deal comes up, and dont mind working on the cars in the meantime (will have to buy it a month or 2 in advance to save on insurance) if they have stuff wrong.

oh if you're limited to 1k i'd just by a 1.3 micra for £300 untill you can afford a decent car m8
any hot hatch you get for under 1k is gonna be an utter shitter, especially french. yaris is a good choice but a micra will be like £500 a year insurance, do 60mpg @80mph and run flawless to the day you drop it off at your local scappy when you have the money for a decent car

Here's another option for an ultra-cheap ultrashitbox.

>tfw anything japanese is twice as expensive even though the factories are in the country already
fucking nippon tax

For lack of RHD first gen Twingos, these make good shitboxes. Overnight parts from France cost fuckall.

I should probably set up a service for british Veeky Forumss where I buy french spare parts from scrapyards and mail them for like 5 shekels. I used buy parts for mum's british made shitbox from an online store that did pretty much the same

My Saxo VTS was by far the most fun car i ever owned but it was my first car so i beat the hell out of it and sold it when exhaust fumes started leaking through the vents. So fun that i'm tempted to sell my car heap of shit, buy another Saxo for a fun car then an old Volvo for something on my commute.

My personal shitbox favorite - 8v calibra

Hard to find, but worth it:
AE82 GT or AE92 GTi
Mitsubishi Colt GTI

Britbongs already got the twingos, no need to import.

>Britbongs already got the twingos, no need to import.
Not the first gen. People have imported them before though.

You're right, I dun goofed. 1st gen seem to be LHD only.
I just remember seeing them in the old max power magazines, but then again they sometimes went abroad for their articles.

insurance is about 1k, not the worst for the power it makes, plus they are dirt cheap, not a fan of the looks though, just wish that engine had come stock in a fiesta, i know engine swaps are an option but the insurance fucks me if i declare that. not that quick to 60 (9.2 supposedly) but i guess it would make up for that in handling

the ones i can afford to insure are really slow, and the ones that are not slow are really expensive to insure. the one i can afford (140bhp celica) is about 1.1k, and with that engine its slower than hatchbacks

Keep looking for 106/Saxo/AX then, it's the best you're getting, and even then, you will have a ton to fix.
A mint 106GTI goes for 4-5 merkels in france

MK2 Golf GTI (Love mine)
Ford Focus ST170

pretty, pretty fun and pretty easy to work on

cheap as chips too though I don't know what the insurance is like for the F7R 2.0L in UK

"no"
Unless op has a second car, he should not buy this

yeah, do tell why

it is a megane

>any hot hatch you get for under 1k is gonna be an utter shitter, especially french.
i got a zx 16v for £500 and it's fucking awesome, everything works fine and there is zero rust. get gud and shut the fuck up retard.

you'd have a point if we were talking about dogshit Megane II, first gen was solid

the most profilic issue is boot lock buttons flying off due to a poor quality o-ring, improved aftermarket item is £7.99

They are cheap and reliable ? Go read about cars instead of spouting nonsense

So reliable that I make a living by fixing them

not that many about, most are either less than 2l or the detuned version. insurance is about 1k, so could be worse i guess, but that was for the f5r. then again, wikipedia says it has the same 0-60 as the f7r in the megane. pretty uncommon though, which is weird, thought there would be more about. guess il have to look at reliability, though the lack of cars for sale makes me think they are probably pretty bad. guess its probably a decent alternative to a puma if i decide to go down that route, though the pumas are much more common

the williams style colour scheme looks great

>MG ZR
>sell for £400-500
>160bhp
>only real issue is chocolate head gasket

can buy the uprated head gasket from land rover still and its good for life

sure its a rover but i'd drive one over a citroen saxo any day of the week

i have no idea what you're on about, i've never paid more than £450 for a nippon shitbox, i've had 7 of them. the french shitbox's iv'e had have been double the price and lasted less than 3 months
the 2.0 90's shitroen? they don't rust, the just stop working. i'd actually bet my micra that it wont last as long. and considering how mad you seem to have gotten im thinking you're considering the same

Fiesta zetec s or ST
Clio 172/182

Nothing else is worth touching, just get a shit box for a year until you can afford something enjoyable

It's what I am doing. Save up for spare Ford Puma and put it into the Fiesta.

>'99 mk4 Fiesta

insurance is like 1400 for the 160, the 120 is about 1100. guess if one comes up cheap it might be worth looking at.

any idea if its possible to get insured for a somewhat reasonable price when you do this? if its not too much might just get a puma this year, then next year swap the engine into the fiesta. they really should have put it into the mk4/5 and made that the fast fiesta, rather than not doing one for that generation

Not sure, if you look around you might.

It is best you tell them it's a 1.3 and just put the 1.7 in. Up to you though, yolo and all that....

>being a retard who can't be trusted with money
>actually thinking cars "just stop working"
typical smelly dumb nissan scum
you will never be fast