$15k budget thread

I'm looking at the 986 or BMW 1 series M.

I want to have fun but would I be happier buying a new jetta? For DD and hopefully fun too.

I could get a 986 from 8-15k depending on miles. basically any year is the same price these days. That leaves me plenty of room to fuck around with repairs and possibly even throw a hard top on the thing.

The BMW is newer but takes a bigger chunk out of my budget which makes it less appealing. Money won't be an issue at all in a year however I need a car in 6 weeks and I refuse to finance.

My wife says 'you dont need a sports car, blah blah be practical'. Is she right? Should I buy a newer econo car?

fuck your wife

are you literally trying to tell me that you can buy pic related for $15k?

If you're getting a 986, get an S. They can be found for like 15k and you get a bigger engine, better brakes, better suspension, a 6-speed sourced from the 911 instead of a 5-speed sourced from Audi, a better cooling system and more equipment standard.
Make sure the IMS bearing has been replaced or do so ASAP (and put in a new clutch while you're down there) and it's one of the most reliable mid-engined sports cars money can buy, and surprisingly practical because it has two trunks.

This

The 986 is an extremely practical sports car, I get groceries for a family of 6 in mine

I assume he means M135i

>hurr durr money won't be an issue in a year
Fuck outta here with that shit. If you don't have the money in hand it doesn't exist. Just finance a cayman s.

>you dont need a sports car, blah blah be practical
Yeah but it's your money, and what if you WANT a sports car?

I do mean the M135i

I'm not sure what you mean. I have a 15k budget with more in the bank and i'm moving from an expenisve city to a cheap as dirt midwest suburb while doubling my income.

If I waited or financed I could get the Caymen but I need a car right off the bat.

No reason not go with the 986 then. Sounds like you could tank a Porsche repair bill or two with the leftover money if you have to.

Then you can probably sell the car in a few years for pretty much what you paid for it.

About practicality: If you don't have kids (yet), the 986 is probably praxctical enough for you. Rent a transporter for moving, it's only like 150 bucks per day.

This is what I'm thinking. if I get the 986 its cheap enough where the big problems could pop up right away and I'm still totally fine on cash.

I'm just wanting to make sure buying a 15 year old car isn't completely stupid.

To be honest I dont see a reason why the 986 would be so bad. Worst case I replace the shocks clutch IMF and breaks(maybe wouldn't even bother with the IMF this late in the game) and still spend less than on the BMW or the newer Jetta.

My friend drives a 5 year old yaris and it goes to the shop way to much considering its the 'practical' option. Not mention the engine on that thing sounds like its begging for suicide everytime it tries to get up to 60 mph.

BTW is a boxster S worth it

See and decide for yourself. It's definitely better than the regular 2.5 or 2.7, the tradeoff is more parts are borrowed from the 911 so they're more expensive.

Depends on how you like to drive the car, top speed - get the S, twisties, every engine works good.
One thing, get a higher milage car, less chance of IMS going wrong compared to garage queens.

Any other recommendations? Focus ST perhaps

honestly, I dont know if this car is available in the US but a fun car without a lack of usefulness is a VW Golf GTI. trusty car with about 200hp+

Yeah that car is on my shortlst.

My wife doesn't like hot hatchs though so I was going to go with the GLI since its basically the same engine.

You could get an M135i for 15k? I just got a Fiesta ST for 15k...

Yeah but keep in mind the M135i is almost 10 years old and the FiST is prob less than 5.

What M135i we talkin? Are you a britbong?