Cars That Lost Their Identity

ITT talk about some cars or companies that lost what they once were.. I'll start with Jeep, especially the Wrangler. Up until the JK, Wranglers used to be SUV's that were simple. Granted the Jeep community was (still is) cancer but they were using them as they should be. Now with the JK's you got everything from nigs to millennials driving them probably cause some rapper had one in a music video. Same could go with Range Rover, what once was a company with some badass 4x4 vehicles now produces things that'll never leave the pavement

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=n-XgvHY1jJ4
youtube.com/watch?v=eNlL7gbLfiw
youtube.com/watch?v=D-GG_ZuBWtk
youtube.com/watch?v=MHANnbHMgY0
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

the Wrangler has turned into a girl car. every girl i talk to says they love wranglers, and 4 girls i know have one.

You're right. I actually recommended a TJ Wrangler to a rich chick when I was in high school. Of course her parents buy it before she even fucking tried to drive it or knew what the 4x4 shifter was. Long story short she drove it on the high way once, hated it, went crying to daddy, and ended up with a brand new BMW

Range Rover, Mini, Rolls Royce.
BMW is a fucking cancer.

It really depends on what BMW a person gets...there's a large difference between the enthusiast driver and someone who wants to look like they're wealthy. You wouldn't see you're average person going out and saying "Oh, I want this 135i because it has a BMW badge on it!" when they have no clue what the N54 or N55 under the hood can put out with some modifications so they just go and grab a basic 328i with a leatherette interior and I4 thinking they're getting something like a 750i.

Toyota, Lamborghini

The Wrangler still has its identity as an offroader though. The fancier ones even come factory with quick-disconnect away bars and whatnot.

is there still a company out there making cars with air ride suspension instead of eurosport suspension

How is Rolls Royce and Mini bad. I mean like Land Rover and BMW kinda got ran into the ground and shit, but Mini?

Subaru. They need to stop pissing around with that bullshit EJ engine in the STi, every one of their competitors has a better performing car. Not to mention that the new gen imprezas look like shit

There was this longevity test where a journalistst tested a Mini for 30k miles or something. They had to replace the rear wishbones like three times during that period.

But I guess that's true to the brand. Real British build quality.

Not talking about BMW cars, just how BMW ownership has fucked up Range Rover, Mini, and Roll Royce.

same
why do the love jeep wranglers

all the American luxury brands
Cadillac, Lincoln, Buick, etc have all lost test with what it means to be luxury. In fact its so bad that even baby boomers aren't buying them anymore.

every car after 2000 got turned into a bar of soap with wheels

Lincoln and Buick live off of senior folks.
I don't know what Cadillac is even trying to do now, sell more Escalades to drug dealers?

Which is why Cadillac has seen sales increase for 9 consecutive months...

You should read more before you 'lose test' with your fragile grip on reality

GM shill begone

Stay mad, champ

Tell me about northstar v8s

Tell me about engines that haven't been in production for at least 6 years

It was a mistake, like the entirety of GM

>Bait this weak

Come on champ, apply yourself. You can do better than that. I believe in you. Let's go champ

Uhhhh
>No
Toyota aleays stood for practicality and efficiency, and they preach and practice the same shit to this day. They're the cheap cuckchinks they've always been.
Lamborghini is still fucking psychotic. Did you just start summer break? You smell like summer.

Bentley,

>once a prestigious/upperclass brand
>now the ultimate new-money, nigger, footballers car.

the continental is the car people buy, who grew up in a counsil flat and suddenly came into some money

All Hummers in general. They were once the big MURRIKA stereotype car but nobody really cares about them at all anymore. Turns out throwing out all your fuel efficiency down the drain for literally no reason is a lot less fun a few years down the road, especially with all the talk about carbon taxes. They originally were supposed to have the same footprint as an Abrams tank but I don't even think they have that anymore.

Post-2005 VW ruined everything

What makes you think JKs have any less "identity" than a TJ?

You'll see JK's being driven by teenage girls and nigs or the owner will just do a basic lift or bigger tires and never take it off road.. Not the identity of a Jeep

That's been Jeep since they were sold to Civilians.
There were just as many CJs in the seventies being driven by similar bimbo demographs as there were TJs in the ninties as there are JKs today.

24 y.o. male here, I love my TJ because I drive it every fucking day and it's a better DD than any CJ could hope to be

Pretty much any pickup.

They went from a respectable working-man's class vehicle to overbloated country music video props

Holy shit right? I don't mind the engines, but the design is awful. The last good looking WRX\STi was the 14\15 widebody hatch. Sedan was meh at best. And now they just look like giant Corollas with hood scoops.

Oh my god it was in production until 2011?

They also kept the solid front axle, and have front and rear locking diffs. My ex gf had one for a couple months and traded it for a fucking cr-v because "it didn't turn very good". NO SHIT YOU DUMB BITCH

Don't they drive a TJ in Clueless?

It seems like the WRX/STI is driven by thousands of douches trying to start a casey neistat-esque brand.

They pay mechanics to modify their cars for them, and never drive fast around corners for fear of scratching their ugly, overpriced wheels.

youtube.com/watch?v=n-XgvHY1jJ4

youtube.com/watch?v=eNlL7gbLfiw

youtube.com/watch?v=D-GG_ZuBWtk

youtube.com/watch?v=MHANnbHMgY0

It's making me love motorcycles more than cars. If there's a steeper learning curve it seems these people don't go near it.

ITT shitbox drivers explain that cars they can't afford aren't cool anymore and they didn't want them anyways

thats because they abandoned baby boomers as their audience, much like Oldsmobile abandoned the Greatest gen in the 80's with the "not your father's oldsmobile" ad campaign.

in general its not that theyve lost touch with what it means to be luxury (they have) but theyve lost their own identity and instead are following whatever they see european luxury cars doing.

especially Ford. They dont know how to liven up Lincoln so they figure, "lets just copy jaguar"

Well, thats because they became shit. The original Hummer was a money car. they were expensive. They were the ultimate 4x4 for someone with money who wanted something rugged and "American".

But they WERE expensive. 40k for a barebones model in 1992.

but the H2 and H3 were just glorified GM suv's with different bodywork. And as such they became cheaper, and shittier, and as moms transitioned from minivans to suvs, what do you think they all ended up with? That's right, the Hummer! thus ruining it's appeal as a macho American "rugged" car. it became more of a mall crawler than the H1 ever was. and the H3 itself was pitiful, it was tiny.

it doesnt help that somewhere along the way, the overcompensation meme started. I have no idea where this came from, but it definitely started in the 00's, American mentality went from "bigger is better" to "big car means small penis"

>>
Its march, How is that summer

Can't sell out if your business was created to make gaudy shit for rich people.

An updated version of it, yes

Land Rover is a classic example

1940's
>From the loyal farm hand machine that was reliable, dependable and all those words that end in "-able"

The Defender was true to its roots from the start to the bloody end

>pigfat
>ugly
>underpowered
>overpriced
>outdated
>other cars are sedans and crossovers that use diesel engines
RIP Maserati. You were one of the greats.

I might be a fucking Subie fanboy, but I know what reality is, and the end of the Evo is going to be the end of the STi line, and with Toyota pulling strings, its only going to get worse. I'll stick with my 90s and early 2000s Subies, but the brand has lost itself to being safe mom cars.

Then the 1970's happened but that still wasn't the end
>Luxury off-roaders, full of leather and wood so the landed gentry can fill the car with dogs, guns and whiskey so they can climb every mountain and ford every stream to the next shoot

I dont wanna be the guy arguing semantics, but you're now talking about the Range Rover, which is not linked to the Land Rover you posted

I mean, they were never really all that well built or anything, but I do want to give a shoutout to Land Rover for keeping the Defender as true to its rootes as possible for such a long time

Nowadays
>Chrome-plated Chelsea tractors that can still deal with anything that Mother Nature can throw at it but only goes off the road when the driver accidentally drives through his front garden after coming home drunk from the neighbour's car-key party.

You are right, the Defender did stay true to its colours. The Series and the Defenders were always the off-roader for the rural worker, from Hampshire farmers to Aussie ranchers. Until, the Japanese did the one thing that the British never did: made it mechanically reliable.

And, again, you are right to argue semantics but, in my opinion, the Range Rover carries the same heritage; the off-roader that can climb every mountain and ford every stream. The difference being you can do it sitting in a leather armchair.

This fucking thing right here.

>"Oh, I want this 135i because it has a BMW badge on it!"
They want it because it's "cute" and has a BMW badge on it.

The average BMW owner is a maglignant badgewhore and BMW has the second worst case of cancer in the automotive world.

>mfw watching a hideous new "M4" fart horribly down a street piloted by some arab with gelled hair and $500 sunglasses

A-user... We need to talk..

Why do you lie on the internet?

BMW has fell so far.

Cadillac may have lost they way of land yachts but stuff like the CTS-V and ATS-V are an improvement.

Lincoln and Buick shouldn't even exist anymore. The fact that GM axed Pontiac before they axed Hummer and Buick still pisses me off.

What if they lost their way but then regained it afterwards

>yfw

fug you not-Mitsubishi Challengers are cool too.

That's what they always were you ret