How does Veeky Forums feel about Hydrogen fuel cell tech?

How does Veeky Forums feel about Hydrogen fuel cell tech?

Right now it's still far too expensive to be a practical alternative on the market; not only the cars (due to the large amount of platinum used in the fuel cells, and the expensive carbon fiber H2 tank), but the fueling stations themselves cost millions for a setup that can only fuel a couple cars at a time, and a small number during the day. It's all driven by California emissions mandates, and funded by governments throwing hundreds of millions of dollars at Toyota/Hyundai/et all to develop it.

Also, with relatively affordable, usable BEV's hitting the market in greater numbers, and a growing number of fast charging stations being installed, I don't see the market for these among consumer vehicles for a long while yet. Most likely use will be in long distance trucks in 20-25 years when oil starts getting really expensive.

Mind you, I like the technology itself, but not for this application.

Damn shame, I like them a lot more than lithium battery systems. The idea of quickly refueling a high-torque electric motor without significant wear on the components sounds great, even if it's not a combustion system. Shame that cars just need so much damned infrastructure.

gasoline is king

To explain rather than simply shill for gasoline:

It's in a perfect state that doesn't provide too much power to break an engine, but enough to pressurize a piston with extreme force.

An engine breaks if it revs too hard. The actual components will warp, and the fragile machine will throw itself apart. Our current system is ideal.

>our current system is ideal

Aside from limited supply and coward liberals worrying about emissions. Any way for internal combustion to deal with those?

fuckin kill everybody in our way

Bio fuels, not necessarily ethanol. That area has been ignored ever since muh Tesla though.

I think they are stupid. Lithium batteries do the job with much less hassle.
If you desperately want to power cars with gas from electricity, just convert it to methane and run that in a mostly standard combustion engine. Much cheaper, almost as efficient.

>I think they are stupid.
>Lithium batteries do the job with much less hassle.

Lithium batteries are expensive and have a lifespan of only 4-5 years. They become more and more inefficient once they degenerate.

There are also not enough ressources for lithium battery cars to completely replace the combustion driven cars. The future has to offer more alternatives and Hydrogen is one of the most presumable.

Biofuels drive deforestation, and actually emit more CO2 through it's whole lifecycle than regular fuels as a result

population culling
if those coward liberals didnt exist then we would be reducing emissions and strain on our resources correct

The same thing they think about everything.
> REEEE
> JEWS NIGGERS GOOKS AMIRITE
> REEEEE
> FROGPOST

It's a pain in the ass even in a warehouse. It would be a nightmare if it were available to the public. Enjoy your 7kw 2600lb fuel cells.

It also only makes sense if you have access to fuckloads of water and clean energy to separate it. Shipping hydrogen is retarded and using piped in water and electricity to generate it is even more retarded.

hydrogen is too inefficient. not to mention that the current method of producing it, is by cracking methane. which releases CO2 still. you would be doing better to just burn natural gas in cars.

Guess what's in the back of a Honda Clarity?
A lithium ion battery.

kek

I've heard of algae being a potential source. Responsible foresting would prevent deforestation.

Producing hydrogen by using water from the sea and wind mills placed in the sea would be an obvious option.

All 3 things are possible right now, but muh Tesla is the future. Infrastructure was never designed to carry electricity for millions of cars. Upscaling that will be insanely expensive.

God is like the ultimate prankster

>This fuel is the most abundant and only creates water!

>You need platinum to use it!

Personally, I think everything is fucked if we don't get fusion in the next 50 years.

> I think everything is fucked if we don't get fusion in the next 50 years.

People without oil are fucked. The rest of us will be fine.

>People without the lifeblood of modern industry, transportation, and society will be fucked

>The rest of us in bumfuck Kansas will be fine....