How does Veeky Forums feel about Saab?

How does Veeky Forums feel about Saab?

I know they're front wheel drive but you can get some that push a lot of power. The model years from 1998-2002 all have common motors B205 or B235 series. The reason why they got such a bad rep was because they recommended oil changes at 15,000 mile intervals with a TD04 turbo and a very hot downpipe going under the oil pan. After that huge BS and people fought with Saab for new motors claims and getting denied for doing the oil themselves(no paperwork), GM bought them. Typically anything after 2002 will have a lot more GM to it... The 2002-2005ish might have similar motors but they will lack powerful turbos (unless you can find an Aero model).

Most of the parts on my car are Bosch like any other Euro car. The motor sounds great since they are either 2.0DOHC or 2.3DOHC. There are tons of bolt-ons and mine for example is a sleeper. I added a 3" downpipe/flex pipe with race cat to stock exhaust(2.5 I think on 9-3 2002 SE models), steering rack brace, 6-point subframe, and a 22mm rear ARB. The Trionic Tuning software and shit for the car is great too. Junkyards also have gracious amounts of these cars, but thankfully there are a lot of bolt ons.

The car is unbelievable for under $4500 (I had to replace the front tires, rotors, A/C clutch and bearing, and alternator), and I really don't understand why more people don't have them. I know they are front wheel drive but damn I got heated seats, amplified stock door speakers, air vent for rear passengers, a HUGE ass hatch trunk, and some really good safety ratings. I have 85K on the odometer now and the exterior could see better days. It is rust free though thankfully because mom/grandma kept it in the garage other than highway trips.

I feel like if you update the used cars guide Veeky Forums should put my type of car on there.

Other urls found in this thread:

saabwiki.info/index.php?title=NG_900/9-3_Timing_Chain_Tensioner
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

My car is an automatic but I am willing to work with anyone with a 1998-2002 Saab and maybe trade them a tuned ecu for a stock ecu ($20 at some junkyards). Can do it for all cars that are T7. Mine went from 205HP to 225ish. If you buy these $50 adapters people sell you can hard wire it into your ECU box and run a USB extention to your glove box( i did ).

If I do a fuel injector upgrade or do a E85 biopower tune I am afraid of killing my fuel pump. If I kill it I have an excuse to drop in a walborogh 255 or some shit. Go for some 630cc injectors I believe. Then I could go up to 280~ safely. I don't think my transmission would like the torque though.

This is a picture from my car when I bought it

My car didn't have PVC fix #7 but it also didn't burn oil too bad because grandma/mom highway travel. I installed it right away. It's basically a bigger oil catch can and different breather routing (it comes with tubes).

Veeky Forums does not apparently feel

Veeky Forumss a slow board ya fucking newfag
With that out of the way, although I don't own one myself I was considering a 07-09 9-3 when I was shopping around but went another direction

I like them, and there are a few owners on the board who love them, just be patient and they'll post

who the fuck is this smug little car

makes me want to smack the shit out of him

i have close to 250k miles on both my 9-3 (B205R) and my 9000 (B234L).

The 9000 is running a 'stage 2'. The t25 turbo was new at 200k miles.. when it goes i will get garret 28 or 30

I wanted a 9k for my first car, but my parents wanted nothing of it thinking I would get speeding tickets and kill myself, they were probably right

That is beautiful to hear. I love my 9-3 dearly. I wanna do fuel injectors, pump, and better brakes...

How often do you do the timing chain and balance chain?

i drive an '06 9-5
it's fat, heavy and absolutely fantastic

>How often do you do the timing chain and balance chain?
when it sounds scary. Both cars are on original chains and plugs as far as i know. I got the 9-3 with 140k miles on it. It was owned by the son of a porsche mechanic so it was well maintained and got good quality oil. I got the 9000 with about 200k miles on it. I would have to check the record book to see if the chains or tension plug has been replaced. It to was very well maintained. The owner had all records. He purchased it new for 36,000. He then added up maintenance over 21 years and it was 38,000.

I recently upgraded the 9000 ecu. I need to torque down the head (will be replacing bolts) i will check and renew the plug if necessary then.

Timing chains don't often need service assuming the car is maintained and it isn't producing more power than stock. The timing gear for the b205 is the same as the b235, so it was designed for at least 250hp, if not more.

Ive got a 02' 9-5 which i bought for ~1200$. It only needed some new bearings, bulbs, handbrake spring and some electrical work. Its chipped to 210hp so its quite fast (Much faster then my dads freelander which i used to drive). Its got quite a lot of bumps and rust damage on the paint but i love it.

I've been using the shell rotella oil and doing bosch fancy filters

Where exactly do you hear the chain. I don't hear shit outside by the motor or hood open. I hear tapping in the cabin and it drives me insane.

I use rotella t-6 and pure one pl20195. pl20195 is slightly larger than stock, allows 1/4 quart more oil.
You will hear a rattle, especially on start up. It will be more pronounced if you are running low on oil. If you are really concerned check the tensioner saabwiki.info/index.php?title=NG_900/9-3_Timing_Chain_Tensioner

Only ever drove a 9-5 2.3T. Gearbox felt like mush, thing felt claustrophobic to sit in. Just an unpleasant car.

If I replace a tensioner and it's bad that essentially does nothing right?

you might want to check the documentation, but if the tensioner has extended to a certain length, I forget the value, its best to change the chain, guides, and tensioner.

i love mine

interior is the best part, feels like home.

Very nice.

I dropped a 500W amp for my two front doors, a 800W amp for my 12" subwoofer, and a 20Farad capacitor. New alternator and battery, fuck it, why not.

I know what you mean.
They are super comfy to sit in.

Previous was a 285HP/440Nm 9-5 Aero sedan that was mapped for intense low-RPM torque (never had to touch the throttle when going from stand still even in uphill.

Second one which is pic related is a Hirsch inspired Aero with 320HP/540Nm, 3' from the turbo to the exhaust tip and forged pistons, 630cc injectors and E85 converted.

Old one had a third party 2DIN stereo, stock speakers
New one is stock with Kenwood satnav and stock speakers.
I rather just listen to the car rather than music anyway.

I kinda like them

Always a bit unique and quirky, and somehow also never really terrible while also not breaking any records. They did really well on the safety bit, which earned them my respect

I'll miss them

That's a nice fucking power curve.

Don't post the "you know what" that happened to that car. :(

I like to listen to the car too, but I also like to go 85 down the interstates with my music blasting out of my two tweeters, two mid woofers(500W), two 6x9s, and my 12" sub(800W).

>85
Another thing I like about the Aero is that it just keeps going and going!
I haven't topped mine yet but 260KM/h in under 2km straight is good enough for me.
I'd hit rev limiter long before I hit power limit with the the stock tranny gearing.

It survived that just fine - is a few years after I ditched it

The "only" things that happened in the ditching was the bumper being kill, a dent in a door, the extra lights being completely destroyed and a motor mount breaking

Its still rolling around, being driven by an ex-coworker of mine and her family

Funniest thing about the whole incident was being "gifted" this - one of the extra lights that was on the car at that point - by a coworker of my mother, who has his boat near where I ditched. Apparently he found it right next to his boat, having been flung a good 30 feet in the crash

My side blinker flew off at 220KM/h and I found it on the second day in the ditch after it had been trimmed down by a tractor mower.
Lamp fucking worked!

But the shitty lock that holds it together was softened which is why it flew off in the first place so I didn't want to use it.

This one?