Dashcam bread

What are the Officially™ Sponsored™ Veeky Forums™ Dashcams™? Looking to replace the cheap As Seen On TV crapstick that's in my car now. I just need one that can record at night, has audio, and decent recording quality. Front and back would be neato too

Other urls found in this thread:

amazon.ca/DOD-TECH-LS460W-Powered-Technology/product-reviews/B00MTW25IM/ref=dpx_acr_txt?showViewpoints=1
amazon.ca/Official-VIOFO-A119S-Car-Dashcam/dp/B01N1NZ2GH/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1489861334&sr=8-1&keywords=a119s
amazon.ca/Street-Guardian-SG9665GC-microSD-Supercapacitor/dp/B00U0OJMYG/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1489861379&sr=8-1&keywords=street guardian sg9665gc v3 2017 edition
amazon.ca/THINKWARE-Sensor-Traffic-Enforcement-Warning/dp/B01IUNP8S2/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1489861440&sr=8-1&keywords=thinkware f770
dashcamtalk.com/a119/
youtube.com/watch?v=WZejhJNOCB0
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

Front and back means the Blackvue DR650 dual channel, expensive, but worth it, however the back camera is only 720p I believe.

The best option is really just getting two separate 1080p cams, so if one fails you're not left alone, and hook them up to the same power source, either the cigarette lighters or a battery pack in your trunk/under the seat which is hard wired to your battery. I'm using a DOD Tech LS460W.

Get something with a Polarizer, to cut out dashboard glare in your video, but its really not that bad as you can make out most plates.

If you really want quality, look into 2560x1440 cameras, they're just hitting the market now, but they're very appealing for reading plates, and again, get something with a polarizer.

does "blackboxmycar" make decent cams?

>we are now living in a time where constant surveillance is actually considered hip and cool

Let me guess, you have (((nothing to hide))).

They don't make, just advise and sell.
I agree, but it'd be nice to be able to cover your own ass when some soccer mom backs into you and then says you hit them.. and other questionable fault accidents

Get the A119S with the Sony Exmor sensor (larger sensor size and sensor size relative to pixels = much better quality particularly in low light) and a transcend high endurance SD card of 64GB and you're golden. I recommend the GPS mount but with the recording hard on the video for location/speed disabled- GPS mount keeps the timestamp accurate automatically and also makes it easy to remove/replace the dashcam without worrying about the insert/removal cycle of mini usb ports.

There is a correlation between having a dashcam and being a total dickhead on the road.

There's a difference between Big Daddy Trump watching me and me covering my ass.

The important detail is that I have control of the video, not them

Except it isn't surveillance if you basically film yourself and don't share it.

Reviews for mine: amazon.ca/DOD-TECH-LS460W-Powered-Technology/product-reviews/B00MTW25IM/ref=dpx_acr_txt?showViewpoints=1

Other recommendations:

A119S amazon.ca/Official-VIOFO-A119S-Car-Dashcam/dp/B01N1NZ2GH/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1489861334&sr=8-1&keywords=a119s

Street Guardian SG9665GC amazon.ca/Street-Guardian-SG9665GC-microSD-Supercapacitor/dp/B00U0OJMYG/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1489861379&sr=8-1&keywords=street guardian sg9665gc v3 2017 edition

Thinkware F770 amazon.ca/THINKWARE-Sensor-Traffic-Enforcement-Warning/dp/B01IUNP8S2/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1489861440&sr=8-1&keywords=thinkware f770

These are my best recommendations as of now, when I got mine, these weren't on my radar but after research, I'll probably be going with the Thinkware or the Street Guardian next.

This is Amazon.ca, so make sure to find your pricing in Amazon.com, and make sure to buy from the right retailers because dash cams have lots of fakes.

But yeah, any of these and you should have no problems.

I don't enjoy the wedge design because it's hard to view whats happening on screen, and the screen can sometimes be useful to aim your camera properly if you're passing an accident or what not. The suction cup/adhesive mount on my LS460W is easy to move around and turn whichever direction I need it to face, so that's one of the pluses for that.

I'm completely against surveillance too but as long as there is no direct internet uplink from the dashcam directly sending feed to whatever, it's fine and not the same thing as cellphone and internet surveillance.

It also will help cover your ass when a single middle age mom plows into you with her massive crossover because she's too busy checking facebook while trying to make her kids stop screaming, while putting on make up at the same time.

Are there any sites that compare dashcams and their features/video quality side by side? Additionally what features should one look for in a dashcam spec wise? Max SD card capacity, etc

Dashcams in general are a really huge market and just searching 'dashcam' brings up a shitload of results which makes it hard to narrow down anything decent without spending hours searching

I'd like to imagine the OPs pic is actually how some paranoid Russian drives his car everyday.

Thanks mate, I wasn't sure if I was finding the right cameras originally but those links helped. Went ahead and ordered the Guardian

I just ordered the A119S with a polarizing lens this morning.
I like the discrete design. My rear view is attached to the roof, so I can center the cam on the windshield right in the middle where most mirrors are.

Also the GPS module has its own power, so you can slide it on and off of its mount without plugging or unplugging wires. Quickly and easily removable for when you are parking the car somewhere it might get broken into.

There are better ones out there sure, but the price is right and it fits the bill of exactly what I want.
People can look at the slightly lesser specced A119 (non s) and its still pretty great. You can get them on Ebay right now for like $75
From what I have read on the dashcam forums and >leddit and other places this is a very good budget cam.

I am currently using a cheap DVR-027 variant I bought at the dollar store for $15 in one of those "last minute holiday gift" racks.
The mount is shit, you cant read license plates even if you are stopped at a stop sign in the sunlight.

But once I got used to it being there in the car, when I get into a car without one you feel naked. Too many people doing dumb shit on the road to not have one.

>ordered the guardian
I have the Street Guardian SG9665GCv2 and it's fucking great, top notch support and firmware. I just hate that it doesn't have the warnings of the A119S for inability to record (A119S will beep nonstop) or the integrated GPS mount.

A119S is probably best value right now, just be prudent on the firmware updates as there are a couple minor issues.
dashcamtalk.com/a119/

What about these? Are they any good? I have EXTREMELY little space to mount the cam inside the car...

This form factor could work too if you have a regular sized rear view mirror
Im guessing the ultra cheap $15-20 cams all are similar just in different form factors

>install first dash cam
>date doesn't save
>think I've fixed it and route wire in headliner and dash
>drive to work instead of cycling to test
>get hit by a bus

If anyone goes to buy an A118C the Auto-Vox one is a cheap chinese knock off of the original cheap Chinese camera. Viofo stopped supplying them. The date and time never stored on my camera. Returned it. Was a good camera regardless.

Getting the A118C2 from SpyTec next.

Are you putting it on a bike? or your car?

wtf?

If I want a setup that will let me:
>record towards front
>records at night
>has good enough picture to see license plates
>is turnable/reversible to be able to record to the side/interior
>has sound (preferably that can be muted/unmuted with one button instead of having to go through settings
>will record while the car is off, or will at least take stills every 1-3 seconds
>has enough battery and storage to be able to do the above
>has screen
>is not fuckhueg
>record towards rear

What is my best solution, or combination of solutions?

I cycle to work most days because it's a short distance and takes the same time since i can take short cuts and the roads are 20mph speed limit.

I drove to work instead of cycling because I'd just fitted the camera properly.

Blackvue apparently forces you to share GPS data, which they store on their servers. Fuck that shit.

What I really want is to set up something that's discretely integrated into my car's bodywork instead of taking up space on my windows.

I'm not sure what's good or bad, but I have 4 different dash cams in my cars that I got for free or next to free when reviewing for Amazon was still a thing. They range from $50-120, and are all no-name Chinese brands without gps, etc features. I don't really know about their inner workings or components, but so far 3 have been fine for the past couple of years without dying from the Texas heat. I just started using the 4th, but hopefully I have the same luck.

Ek5000 mounted on dash plugged into cig lighter
for $70 this set up is ok

ontariofagwattup

youtube.com/watch?v=WZejhJNOCB0
Get yourself Vantrue N1. Its cheap and works great.

I hate this place but I just cant help but stay in it.
All the charm of Detroit in some places with the safety of Boulder Colorado. I might get property north.

>we are now living in a time where constant surveillance is actually considered hip and cool

It is neither hip nor cool. But criminals hide behind anonymity and non-surveillance and use it as a loophole to commit their crimes. As the fabric of society (ethics and rule of law) breaks down, and even cultures (american blacks) embrace crime as a normal part of everyday life (thus it becomes part of culture), surveillance remains one of the few methods to resist this breakdown of society.

It's not just hit and run. What makes surveillance necessary is the boldness and deliberate cynical attitude of the criminals. They boldly lie in your face. They boldly lie in court under oath. They are full of the "It is what it is" attitude. And where you were innocent, they boldly lie and make you to be the criminal. They consider that justice.

I would like one that continues to record when the car is parked. In this case, recording is triggered when someone approaches (the camera sees something moving). That would spot cars backing in my car too if I park head out.

Right now, I always park head in due to fear of someone backing into me with hit and run. If I had my head out, the damage would be more significant and expensive.

All the accessory power outlets in my car turn off when parked. So the camera would need to use a capacitor or a battery to handle the parking. But I suppose a rechargeable battery would wear out quick as they all have a limited number of recharge cycles. NiMH or Li-ON can go empty due to the constant parasitic drain and not necessarily long enough recharge time.