How bad is that Veeky Forums? Can I damage anything while skipping gears when I use the clutch slowly and or match revs?

How bad is that Veeky Forums? Can I damage anything while skipping gears when I use the clutch slowly and or match revs?

Nah just don't overrev

Your engine will explode because you'll hit valve float.

it will blow

Clutching slowly burns the clutch, but if you're matching revs and its not overreving the engine then no you're not doing anything wrong.

Do it all the time. Doesn't matter that much, but depends on the gears.

How "slow" is too slow? Is there a video or something? Sometimes (especially when nearing a queue or something) and having like >2K RPM on 6th I just switch to 2nd and slowly release the clutch while accelerating a little bit in order to break the car with my engine. All seems fine and I end up with 5K RPM max while the redline is at 7. I should be in the clear, right?

If you go from 5 to 2 you'd better be VERY careful that you aren't going fast enough to overrev. Slowly matching revs with the clutch is noob tier too. Learn how to rev match properly instead of killing your clutch.

It's fine. I don't even use the clutch to change gears whenever I'm using my friends cars. You just sort of force it into the gear you want and overtime it gets easier

how?

You should get your revs up close to where it will actually be in 2nd, by blipping the throttle, while holding the clutch down, and then release the it with the same amount of speed you would normally shifting.

>needing your car to tell you how to shift

How do you learn anything? Fucking practice it

Skip shift actually used a solenoid to kick the shifter over IIRC.

I meant like and instruction video or something you stupid nigger

Skip shift in G8's and Camaros at the time literally all the other gears out and forced you to shift that way.

The justification was that, that was the only way a guzzler tax wasn't going to be slapped on them.

Luckily enough its an easy mod to fix it.

did it have autoblip for the downshifts too?

See
Can you not read and follow instructions?

I don't know. It was a trick to skirt fuel economy regulations, they told you how to disable it in the manual.

No it was just for upshifts I think.

sure I've read that and I'll try it but hell video is always more helpful

You realize you're on the internet right now? You can look it up?

>Luckily enough its an easy mod to fix it.
Isn't it literally just a fuse you pull?

I believe so.

What is the point of this whole board then? Everyone can look up everything they ask. So we may as well just shut the whole thing down.

It's an image board with related discussion, not a magic answer box.

What counts as over revving?

Over redline

Thanks, was a bit worried there for a second.

No, to stop you have to check the revs, push down the clutch pedal, throw the shifter in a zigzag motion to 4th, release the clutch pedal, check the revs, push down the clutch pedal again, throw the shifter forward to 3rd, release the clutch again, check the revs again, push the clutch down again, throw the shifter in a zigzag motion to 2nd, release the clutch again, check the revs again, push down the clutch again, throw the shifter to first, and then just release the clutch. See? So much more fun than autotragic.

And this is how I know you're a entitled millennial.

Rpm ok u r ok

No I'm not.

Then you're not old enough to be on this site. Son.

Rev match without pegging the RPM and your fine.

this is dumb.
you can go from 5 to 3 and from 4 to 2 and vice versa if you wanna skip a gear

>I can't do anything in my life without jewtoob durr hurr

I try to avoid skipping gears. It's very rare that I need to do it, but if I've slowed down to 40-50 kph in 5th gear, there's no sense in going through 4th so I go straight into 3rd. What I do is follow the recommended shift points from the manual. For example, my manual recommends to shift to 2nd gear at 24 kph so when I have slowed down to 24 kph or below, I can shift straight into 2nd gear without matching revs. If I am going any faster and I want to downshift, I have to blip the throttle. This is my car (Honda Civic) so it might be different for you.

Bottom line is that as far as I know, skipping gears won't hurt your car as long as you're 1. going at an appropriate speed for the gear you're shifting into and 2. you've rev matched when necessary.

why cant americans drive manual?

we are not poor enough

its still around even in the newest corvettes, i guess having a shitty feature you can easily disable is better than a gas guzzler tax

Only way to learn is through trial and error. Sure you might fuck up your first clutch but shit happens.

How long do clutches usually last? Bought an 07 mazda 3 hatch about 10 months ago. It was my first car plus the car i learned manual on. Pretty sure it is still on the factory clutch. Learning on it was a bit rough, wasn't too hard on it thought aside from one incident.

>first day of getting the car, dad tells me to drive the car around some major streets
>get stuck making a left turn at an intersection, stall the car probably 6 times in a row.
>slowly jolted myself into the middle of the intersection via all the stalls
>dad is laughing at me
>had to get out of that intersection at any cost
>rev to 3.5k~ and dump the clutch as hard as i could while also being on the gas like a retard
>all i could smell was burnt clutch

Other then that incident, it has been pretty smooth. Learning to rev match took a little bit more. But for the most part the car is still great. Clutch never slips and still feels good. How long do you think i still have on this badboy. 203kms on it, that is 126k miles. The shocks/struts really need to be replaced. Going to do that soon.

>In first gear
>Reach 3000 rpm
>Can only shift to 4th
>Shift to 4th
>Stall out

>want to figure out how to do something
>all I find is a retarded video,no timestamps or writeup
Seriously, whatever happened to making a proper writeup to a procedure?

Depends on the car, sports cars tend to have shorter clutch lives.

100k is not unreasonable with average driving.