>FAQ and What to Play

FAQ: pastebin.com/Q7K91Q34

What to Play?: pastebin.com/yfUKx35f

>Individual Game Pastas

pastebin.com/nXBycdgR

>Roguelike News:

Latest Infra Arcana build:
jii.moe/ry6i-QmPe.7z

New IVAN update: 0.5.8, adds a new dungeon, a new win condition, new god effects, new items and bugfixes:
github.com/Attnam/ivan/releases

Poschengband update to 5.0.5:
angband.oook.cz/forum/showthread.php?t=8223

Poschengband 5.05 competition:imp skillmaster:
angband.oook.cz/competition.php?showcompo=201

>/rlg/'s shared DCSS online account

User: rlgrobin
Password: ownfault (or "robin" on Xtahua)

Previously:

Other urls found in this thread:

crawl.akrasiac.org/rawdata/DChimera/morgue-DChimera-20110511-230620.txt
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

First for Actaeon

so, they got rid of rolling for stats in poscheng, didn't they?

a fucking stag?

Yeah it was replaced with point-buy.

You can still get random starting stats (along with random race) if you pick the "real life" option.

Hey PCB-R guy, are the major changes in that fork optional? Like you can toggle whether to have them on or off in the options screen?

One of the major changes in PCB-R is reduced XP requirements for levelgain across the board, and IIRC there's no option to toggle it off.

Don't you fault on me, goddamnit.

post the image too fampai

>An Olympian goddess
>A literal FUCKING STAG
>the stag is more popular
Demon is truly the thinking man's game

I'm going to miss my telepathy boots.

>like zoiks scoob

Is there a way in Crawl to set a macro for Z -> Enter -> Enter?

>being perma-friendzoned by some slut that bitches all the time
>riding A FUCKING STAG into battle while listening to the lamentation of your enemies' women

What action are you trying to achieve?

z-> enter re-casts the last spell you cast

Yes but on the plus side now you have six (6) arms and what I assume are an awesome set of titties.

Aww yee, thanks Brodda

How good do I have to get to get sponsors for playing crawl

Why can't you just press "~"?

If a unit is banishment to the abyss in crawl do I get XP for it?

yes
you get at least half xp, plus a bonus based on how much of its hp is missing

You get 50% the XP plus 1/2 x its HP percentage.

Alright thanks cause I found a distortion whip on floor 2 and its been banishing crap left and right. But holy crap that damage.

*its _missing_ HP percentage

no you need to get banished and hunt that fucker down now that he's escaped

crawl.akrasiac.org/rawdata/DChimera/morgue-DChimera-20110511-230620.txt

Fixed the telepathy with an otherwise useless amulet, though now I lose my combat ring for rElec.

Life was much simpler when you could chill in the wall as a quasit.

I'm disappointed they lose the cloak slot, I had a retaliation one saved up.

Oh
I thought those were all the same character.

>73551 | Pan | Entered the realm of Cerebov.
>73908 | Pan | Reached skill level 12 in Charms
>73959 | Pan | Noticed Cerebov
>73971 | Pan | Defeated Cerebov
>73973 | Pan | Mong: Banish Cerebov!
>74028 | Pan | oh god i should have gotten the abyssal rune first
some time later, he escapes from Pan via distortion unwield
>75014 | Pan | You are cast into the Abyss!
>75014 | Pan | Cast into the Abyss (distortion unwield)
>75014 | Abyss | Entered The Abyss
he escapes, goes to the lair, learns CBlink, and then goes back into the abyss
>75742 | D:22 | You pass through the gate.
>75747 | D:22 | phew
>75994 | Lair:2 | Learned a level 7 spell: Controlled Blink
>76431 | Abyss | cerebov im going to murder you
>76546 | Abyss | Identified the cursed +6,+6 Sword of Cerebov
>76546 | Abyss | Slain by Cerebov

Passwall's such a tease.

Papa okaw just granted his first gift yep ive been training maces this whole time. Is this the run?

it's not an eveningstar/10

Well it was well times and its strong for so early. Right after I got it I had to kill 3 ice dragons which landed me some ice scale armor and this treasure trove of 400 gold, amulet +reflection and a few rings including a +3 dex ring and a +6 int ring.

>holy
>in lair
useless/10

well it's still a +9 greatmace at least

Think I should switch it to a +7 morinstar of protection?

nah, not unless you're already invested in shields

just don't post about how this is an AMAZING FREEWIN ARTIFACT
newbies often fall into the trap of thinking that artifacts are automatically best-in-class, but this is worse than a regular greatmace with a useful brand
having a greatmace is still *nice*, but a greatmace of freezing would do a better job except when you're fighting enemies who are explicitly weak to holy (demons and undead)

Im heavily invest in shields by im antman so it doesnt matter. I didnt realize holy didnt do damage to non evil monsters. I actually did get a freewin artifact once at the same time okaw I was a vinestalker and it was a vampiric eveningstar

the mace does mean you'll have a real easy time in Crypt later on, though
and you could try extended, but that's tricky as a ant

Man I always forget to do the crypt.

Aw yeah you're playing true vanilla
go for it user!

In response to the PCB-R guy last thread and his conversation about how to manage energy randomization:

I can appreciate what you're saying about wanting to have a random element so that a player can't have 100% control over every situation by simply being fast enough. However as other anons have pointed out getting double-rocketed or mana-stormed is particularly unfair and unfun.

As a quick-fix solution, you could simply implement a rule that says no enemy can cast the same spell (or breath or other effect) twice in a row. As a better long-term solution however you could write something that detects double-turns in enemies due to energy randomization, and set a rule limiting actions based on that information, to prevent unfair spamming of ultra-powerful attacks.

>see a guy playing merfolk
>puts all stats into DEX
uuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh

isnt this bad?

What kind of setup is it? It'd make sense for a stabber or any sort of stealth-oriented character. Dex is also how you get more of an EV boost from Dodging.

Sure but isn't the bonus damage and reduced armor EV penalty (and required armor skill) better than bonus accuracy and a little EV?
He's a glaive-wielding tabber with a legion of undead from Yred.

That's right.

But Merfolk have a pretty bad Armour skill aptitude, so I guess he might have just concluded that Strength isn't worth it. Encumbrance is lessened by both Strength and Armor skill, and if he didn't choose a background that gave a Strength boost, it probably wouldn't have been worth the effort to dump stat points into that. I guess his plan is to accurately damage monsters from behind his summons, which will do a lot of the work.

This is the most disappointing ring of power ever.

Time to submit a patch to remove archery bonuses from rings of power.

would be amazing on ranged character though
+4 pval extra shots is great

there are a couple randart ranged character dumps where archery rings of power ended up being really nice tho

I have yet to figure out a good use for Artemis's modifier. She herself is okay, though.

yeah but wouldnt like dumping all points on STR end up giving more damage overall despite more misses?
maybe im overvaluing AC

and brave sir robin ran away

Yes and no. On one hand, you're definitely right that all Strength would do more damage than all Dex.

*But*, you have to remember that you can get a series of unlucky rolls -- unlucky in either damage or accuracy or both. Getting unlucky in a highly tense situation isn't good, even if you're not playing recklessly.

I do agree that Str is clearly the more important stat, but a little bit of Dex can lessen some painful RNG moments.

That's a lot of dice for D:7.

oh yeah

yes
dex is more for the bonus EV
it also has an effect on stabbing if you're into that sort of thing

what have they changed, angwil is full of monsters now, i cannot even walk it peacefully!

I think I'll leave this one for a while.

a regular vampiric eveningstar would probably have been better
it's not that it doesn't do damage, it's that it doesn't do extra damage

ironman_quests reasons dot jaypeg

Why would you reforge Narya user?

he has randarts turned on user

Imagine having talos with ironman quests on like, a mage.

ez
just summon up an army of archliches and have them tickle him to death while constantly summong more greater undead to joinin

wait does talos have a summon spell?
maybe the ol' cryptswarm strat won't work so well if he's summoning too

It's so dumb I can't be mad

oh is baby waby user scared of a widdle +5 speed monster now?
because you should be

oh god that hurts me to hear

to those who don't realize, wild BoC is very nearly as good as it gets for melee chars...slap a +dice ring on it (ideally Vilya, The One, or some silly-good Wm combat ring that's rarer than those both) and go to town with your 4d30 or whatever hand of weapon damage

fuck

IIRC you can still skip ironman quests by paying the trump tower to teleport you down below their level
or maybe that's just for tome2 quests...

yeah you can, but it's crazy expensive

Yes, I believe you have to set it as a "raw macro" and enter it as z\{13}\{13}

I like tiles 'cause they're pretty. What's the prettiest Nethack tileset (for any fork that's easy to find and not buggy as all fuck)?

I'm curious...
Does anyone know the number of possible combinations of race, subrace, class and personality in PCB? including all the monster races, and things like combinations for dragon types and realms, grey wizard alignments, combinations of magical realms for all mage classes etc etc

Say that to my Chthonic Artemis not offline and see what happens freybug

I do not know of anybody who has gone through and calculated/totaled it yet
and don't forget stuff like the various permutations of human/demigod/dragonian special racial feat choices

It's good for spamming revelation on her.

Well I know what to do when I get bored of splatting

It's not really a small change since last spell cast isn't tracked to my knowledge. I'd have to add that to writing savefiles probably, which would break compability.
Still, just outright removing RNG from energy won't do good.

It's tricky. I don't want to make game easier, but more fair. If it was more like AUTs from Crawl...

I'll have a good laugh the day someone manages to get a Well Fed Artemis.

there are 60 race choices (including draconian/demigod subraces)

there are 60 classes, including weaponmaster/devicemaster/warlock specialties but not counting mage realms

there are 14 personalities

but there are a few race/class combos that aren't allowed, like bloodless classes + blood knight, or centaur cavalry

or sexy male, lucky female
and the dragon realms are all kinds of weirdly specific

oh yeah I didn't list monsterraces there at all actually

>dominator

>he doesn't play pseudoelliposchengband

user, do you still support bigoted and sexist implementation of personality choices? For shame. I'm calling my lawyer as we speak.

I variously use elliposchengband and pcb-r, so *I* get to ignore those restrictions, but they're still in the base game

They shouldn't matter for total character combinations, unless ordinary male human warrior is counted separately from ordinary female human warrior. Which seems silly since they are identical except for two letters on the character sheet.

Similarly all the mage types should only count distinct first realms as the other can be changed in game.

original asker, don't worry about gender, and unless there are some races/classes that aren't allowed to have certain personalities then maybe don't worry about those either, because that can all just be a multiplier at the end.
In fact if I'm right about all that, there are 13 male and 13 female personalities, meaning if just the race/class/subrace/realm/other dickery can all be worked out, that number can just be multiplied by 26 for a final total

they're not quite identical, since there are some items that care about a character's sex. At the very least, the sexy swimsuit base item type and the cloak of the heavenly maiden artifact do, and I wouldn't be shocked if there are others.

What stat are marilith's spell cast rates based off off?
It feels like there's so much info missing. Feels weird.

can a ring be male or female, and therefore sexy?

What's different about the cloak?

everything can be either gender
except Tanar'ri. Mariliths are always female so male Tanar'ri get a gender bender when they hit level 40

for men it carries aggravation

Taanar'ri is int based so Idl assume they are too

Still counts as two though, because the earlier races can be either gender, so in that case the 26 multiplier still holds true
Even if you argued against it, would I be right in thinking that the marilith is the only race capable of being a lucky female?

The character creation screen highlights your casting stat in pink. You can see for tar'ri that it's int

this isn't exactly perfect though. 'm'agic all uses one stat, but p'O'wers can scale with any stat. a wild-talent might find himself with a strength-scaling android raygun, an int-scaling telepathy buff, and a dex-scaling poison dart

Chris would never let this happen.

Anyone can potentially sexchange if they spend enough time around chaos/toxic waste or find an item that activates for self-polymorph
well maybe not androids