/shmupg/ - Shoot 'em Up General

This general is for discussing all shmups/stgs (shoot 'em ups/shooting type games).

Previous thread: Need something to play? Check this shit out: mega.nz/#!mlwG3ZCJ!NMdWxNY4pjqc1vFGwzyPIbtGor0GHObcfENNMgOQW1s

Join us on Steam! steamcommunity.com/groups/shmupg

>RECENT RELEASES:

Caladrius Blaze
store.steampowered.com/app/386770/

DoDonPachi Daifukkatsu
store.steampowered.com/app/464450/

Mecha Ritz Steel Rondo
store.steampowered.com/app/463070

RefRain
store.steampowered.com/app/435970/

Shmups Skill Test
store.steampowered.com/app/430290/

WITCH-BOT MEGLILO:
store.steampowered.com/app/437020/

Blue Revolver
store.steampowered.com/app/439490/

Zangeki Warp - 2/2/2017
store.steampowered.com/app/564040/

>UPCOMING RELEASES:

Xydonia
indiedb.com/games/xydonia

iMalice
amamoriya.gozaru.jp/imalice/

Go Go Burunyanman Ecstasy!!! Steam-Edition
steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=660224194

Danmaku Unlimited 3
store.steampowered.com/app/450950/

Other links
STG stream aggregator: stgrillz.appspot.com/

/shmupg/ high-score list:
docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1K0DesawgMQiFNMv2MZxxwdjzBudCIMMb3BkjQJaHjxI/edit?usp=sharing

/shmupg/ community YT channel:
youtube.com/channel/UCp2e9X5tR9BLdSlIGjzftDA

Other urls found in this thread:

steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=805192185
twitter.com/AnonBabble

dead

2nd for bampu

Zangeki Warp on Insane is too brutal. Anyone knows what comes after Insane? There are still some ??? in the menu.

The thread died and it's all Windia's fault

At least she is classy to the very end that pinky just flies away

>Unfortunately, timeline isn't solidified enough for me to even say when exactly I will be able to say more.
What did they mean by this?

is there a list of games you can run with the shmupmame in the op? i wanna add more to what i have

I am not sure but I have been looking for a working rom of Muchi Muchi Pork

Bahmpu~

So what do you play atm? You do play a shmup, r-right, user? .... A-user?

What I want to play is IN, DU2 and give Blue Revolver another chance. Unfortunately at the moment I can't play anything and haven't been able to for the past couple of weeks (and it looks like this is going to continue for a few months more). Too busy with things/work. W-what are YOU play, user?

Me, I still play Zangeki Warp. Currently practicing Insane mode. Already cleared Easy and Normal, but just skipped Hard mode.

Kinda burned out on Garegga, so I'm learning puyo puyo atm

it's original. score is 600 or something if anyone is interested.

DOJ as always.

who said this?

dont think that one emulates well

>score is 600 or something
Is that even possible? Or do you mean 600 billion?

>who said this?
Degica.

Any good shmups for beginners on Steam?

What is your style? Are you looking for a stage layout with possible obstacles and stuff or are you
looking for wave based gameplay or do you want a curtain of bullets to dodge?

I don't even know. Aside from very poorly playing some on SNES as a kid, I'm totally new to the genre. Though I like games that pull your focus in until your mind falls quiet and you're almost in a trance, not consciously thinking about what to do next but just doing it. Mostly I've experienced that with rhythm games, but sometimes with platformers. Does this happen in shmups? If so, what kind of game is most likely to give me that experience?

>vidya as meditation
Never thought I'd see that.

Are you a waifufag or a shipfag?

Probably ships so I don't get funny looks playing in front of my friends.

Then I'd say the best shmups for you on steam are Ikaruga and Crimzon Clover.

Perhaps also check out Strania, if you are more a mechafag.

Do you all generally play shmups with a keyboard or with some kind of controller with a joystick?

>playing games in the front of your friends

I'm a graduate student. I do a lot of work in the computer lab on campus because it's a nice, quiet place to work, but I use my laptop because it's faster than the computers in t here and because it has Spotify. Sometimes I'll take a break and play a game for a bit to clear my head. Friends come in at times. Thus, I end up playing in front of them.

Mushihimesama, Eschatos, and Dariusburst

Yes I understand but you said that video games are something you're using to relax or to achieve flow. I couldn't do that because I prefer to play vidya alone. Also
>playing shmups on laptop

>playing shmups on laptop
I play on a laptop!

bananafaggot uses a steering wheel and he is the best of us!

I use an HRAP3 and on the rare occasion I cannot get it to work with a game I use a wireless 360 controller.

Most people here play with a gamepad or arcade stick

I recommend Dodonpachi Resurrection on Steam. CCWI isn't for beginner, it does has Novice Mode but the difficulty gap between Novice and Arcade is big, you won't progress much for a loooong time. But if you like the challenge and like to suffer then go get it.
Darius Burst CS is good recommendation too.

>CCWI isn't for beginner
he can use type z

Bahmpu~

Bahmpu again~

why am i so fucking bad at mushi stage 3

just 600

that's still 100 hours or more if you are new and it's hardly a relaxing experience.

Last bahmpu before bed~
Have a good one, /shmupg/

americuck?

Mushihimesama, Deathsmiles, DDPR, Eschatos, CCWI, Mecha Ritz, Blue Revolver, Dariusburst CS

still imperishable night
I always play with keyboard

average poojin shitter

average shitposter

It's 2017, I think pretty much everyone is nocturnal by now.

/ourguy/

What's that from? Is that real?
Also, no Darius again! It's the coolest and among the darkest shmups ever! It would only be fitting if the man who directs Drakengard would be into Darius...
Oh well...

Congrats on the WR!

from shmup twitter

Bump

let's hope others won't find out about it so he can keep it.

seems japs don't take type3 seriously

its novice mode
noone plays this

i am novice
another ships has impossible top scores

Type 3 also has impossible scores, in other modes than novice
especially in the arcades

shit taste desu senpai baka

CAVE has ruined shmups for me, if it isn't made by CAVE it's shit SHIT!

A Darius is fine too

Honestly I find CAVE to be quite shit. Almost every game they make is the same shit, you have a ship and two options (maybe they track, maybe they don't) and you just chain kills together. Some are a bit different, but most are just the same shit. And somewhere along the line they started pandering full-time to autistic otakus and now their games don't even have the style anymore that games like ketsui had.

DFK is pretty good

Treasure >>>> GAYVE

Good morning, /shmupg/. Time to get up and play shmups.

Do you all solely play bullet hell games? Anybody have any good entry-level recommendations for "memorization" style shmups?

Zangeki Warp
Also bullet hell isnt necessarily more difficult

>Zangeki Warp
Thanks!
>Also bullet hell isn't necessarily more difficult
I'll take beginner recs of that kind too, then, if you're up for giving them.

If you don't want bullet hell try DBCS and Strania.

Dodonpachi Ressurection

I played a shmup today for the first time in months! I beat the galaxy squadron game that's in the humble bundle.

me too senpai

I just started playing Strania. It's my first shmup besides occasionally playing one (I think it was an R-Type) on my sister's 360 back in the day. I can't tell what the fuck I'm doing half the time and I feel lost.

I realize a lot of it is just learning to play better, but can anybody give me some advice so I at least know what I'm doing wrong in order to learn from it?

Any shmup with fixed enemy positions and patterns is a memorizer

I still have to get back into G-Darius.
Someday
oh and 77th post for procrastinating the fish massacre.

Watch a replay or two, and plan out which weapons you're going to take for every section of the game. Appropriate weapons will give you a much better time.

A big part of Strania is learning the right weapon for the right situation. You want to learn the stages so you make sure you have the right weapons at the right time. IIRC you grab the weapon with whichever hand is closest to it when you pick it up. Outside of casual play for scoring you want to maximize use of all weapons for more points.

best gorl

steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=805192185

Is it fun to bully fish?

Very fun. I waited on DBCS because of the price but ended up liking it a lot. It's a big change of pace (in a good way) from the usual CAVE fare.

Speaking of bullying fish, Darius user stream when?

>zangeki warp crashes if i let main menu music to loop

I've thought about streaming again, but I usually don't feel like doing multiple runs in succession, and only one 15-minute run wouldn't be worth starting a stream for, nevermind that I'd let everyone watching down again if I stopped after that.

Also, I'm watching a CSGO tournament right now, because it's relaxing!

But I'll surely do a stream in a few hours!

>watching a CSGO tournament
Gross.

take a look at this if you didn't

I saw it, that's cute!

I've looked at Sky Rogue before but I didn't bother because it's Early Access. Is it any good? Anything like Ace Combat?

i don't know anything about the game at all, i just thought they did a good job with the silverhawk

>watching csgo instead of hopping on fightcade to play windjammers with cee and amber

Some lead a limited life.

>with cee
LOL!

Losing to me isn't so bad you get used to it! one trick ponies btfo.

what's the CS mode like?

And how easy/difficult is the game?

>windjammers
That looks cool!
Never did anything with Fightcade but I might join you some time!

any time man, theres always ppl playing usually and its an easy game to get to grips with. I'll help you out if you need it.

>what's the CS mode like?
CS mode is a ton of different missions. A mission could be 18 stages long, it could be 1. It might even be a boss rush. You're assigned one of many ships for each mission and most of them have unique play styles. You get currency that you can use to unlock ships so you can pick ones that weren't assigned for the mission, but I found that being forced to use the other ships was good fun and a great way to learn their intricacies.

>And how easy/difficult is the game?
It varies. Some of the routes in arcade mode/some of the CS missions are easy and some are very hard. You select you're route so you can pick whatever you want.

>playing something else than beat em ups on fightcade
shiggydiggy