What kind of fuckery have you found on your car?

What kind of fuckery have you found on your car?

>owned for 2 years
>suddenly starts to get hot during idle
>when driving its completely fine
>blows radiator hose
>thermostat housing cracks
>replace them
>heating issue continues
>read online about a few things
>check fan resistor
>fucking fried janky wire is in its place.

Nigger rigging is often the only way to fix cars.

Sure, but this was clearly done to cheap out on a 30 dollar part.

Own a '90 500SL
>Has cammed windshield wiper
>Can't figure out why arm isn't extending
>Take apart wiper assmebly
>Find no gear inside to make arm extend
>Find that the guide rods are welded together

I've got a 97 civic purchased from a friend of my mom
>road trip about 400 mi to visit a freind
>halfway through, brake line springs a massive leak
>the gods have smiled on us, lost the brakes in the parking lot of a service center
>car goes on lift
>Every
>Single
>Brake line
>looks like it's been in a bilge for the last decade
They only replaced one line. I live in fear of the others every time I drive that car. Most of the vehicle is similarly fuckered, but no nig rigging found so far.

Bought a 4th gen Firebird
>front bumper is cracked, car came with new bumper
>go to replace bumper
>find large chunk of plastic that holds the bumper on has been cut in a u-shape
>this fucker cut the fucking panel instead of unscrewing like 5 screws to change out the fog light
>bumper goes on without a problem and feels fine

I don't know they thought cutting it was easier than unscrewing it, but it pisses me off

Incompetent service people if they didn't see if every year during the yearly mandatory scheduled car inspection that just cost $40.

>charge regulator connector was filled with oil and grease
>lug nuts that were different length
>drinking straw inside one of the air vents
>wiring for the rear left lamp was done incorrectly after damage a few years ago

>they didn't put cotter pins on the front lower control arms
>passenger side one fell out during a slow corner

Man if that fell out on the highway or while driving hard that would not have been pretty.

That could've become a damned bad dobura crashuda!

We don't have that where I live. Just emissions testing. And even that isn't annual.

Sounds like a 3rd world country, is it's Kongo or Brazil?

Oh yeah I was real fucking lucky. Nobody was behind me either otherwise I probably would have been rear ended at the same time. Cops directed traffic around me while I spend a hundred bucks to get it towed home.

Close. Connecticut.

How anal have you become about checking a car when you buy it?

Pretty anal now. The Corolla I bought for my mom was definitely checked for cotter pins and stuff. I'll gladly pay for an inspection next time I buy a car if I need to.

Here it's a basic thing to check if it's been inspected without any faults.
Since it's mandatory each year to take them, you know if the car is inspected and approved.
So unless you actually want to find a typical suicide carriage like in USA you can, just check for cars that failed inspections.

They only inspect horns and lights in my area. A blessing for me because I don't have to worry about failing. Also a curse because I could buy something bad unless I go over with pretty thoroughly.

>wires just twisted together, not even taped
>shift boot held down with fucking sheet metal screws through the tunnel

Here they inspect:
Every piece of the chassis
The whole frame from the underside
Brake lines and brakes so they brake evenly on both sides.
Wheels and the thread so you don't drive on worn out slicks or with uneven wear
tie rods, upper/lower ball joints
Suspensions, toe and chamber
Leaks in exhausts and if it's too rusty, and emissions
Horn
Check for CEL logs with their OBD reader.
Lights, the shape of the light so it's not too high or too low or have dark spots.
Belts
Handbrake so it brakes evenly on the wheels
Oil leakage (if there's oil spots under the engine or similar).
If you have a hitch that also gets inspected for rust and if it's a detectable they also check the inside for rust in it.
Windshield wipers
Windshield visibility (too many scratches or chips and you fail inspection)
Wiper fluid
Blinkers, brakelights, reverse lights, number plate front and back have to be reflective to be visible in the dark, and the lights above it needs to work in the rear.
And every year they log the distance your car has driven and puts it in the register so insurance companies can see if your insurance cover the stated distance you applied match up to the insurance coverage you signed, and it also helps when buying second had since that way they see if someone has tampered with the odometer to make it look that it haven't been driven as long as it really has.

This for $40 yearly is a good price for being sure you're surrounded by cars that aren't rolling murder machines that suddenly decide to pop a rusty brake line.
Also ABS is mandatory since the 90's so no such thing as a 2010+ car that just keep on sliding on locked wheels into other cars.

I knew I forgot something...

They check if the axle boot is not leaking or is too dry as well.

I have a friend who works the oil fields in Texas his van is registered to my old house in Ohio because they don't do inspections or emissions.

They do in Texas and where he is from in Pennsylvania but he's afraid his van won't pass either one of the states inspections.

Funny thing is I don't even live in that house anymore I live in Florida now but they don't have any sort of inspection or emissions here either and he just continually renews by mail so it's all good.

Damn that's a lot of shit. I'm sure I'd fail a few things.

>don't have washer fluid
>no cat
>I do have one CEL code for O2 sensor, but it's OBD1
>gotta fix the handbrake
>tear in passenger CV boot but no noises yet

The car is relatively solid now. Had it almost two years.

>No washer fluid
That's a notice that should be fixed - still driveable but some might actually fail you since it's about visibility and not putting others in danger.
>no cat
If it's a car that comes with a catalyst converter it instantly fails, but they still go over the rest.
>CEL OBDI
They scan both OBDI and OBDII and depending on the fault you might get driving probation.
>handbrake
Instant fail, they go over the rest anyway
>tear in passenger CV boot
Fail inspection

Unless you get a probation there and then you now have one month to fix these problems and they'll do a partial inspection on just the failed parts for $19-20, or you end up having to do a new full inspection if you fail to re-inspect the car during that 30 day period.

Do your "friend" also show up to work with terminal deceases that spread easily from person to person as well?
If I knew which car was his I'd destroy it enough that it'll never be able to drive again.

Where is this?

Our inspections are bi-yearly with the same stuff, plus emissions, dripping fluids and more

Had mine on Tuesday, only got a parking brake lever that didnt return fully, which I fixed and got approved on Friday

From where your old wine red car with a slight front bumper acident was born. ;3c

It's a good thing they don't have thorough inspections here then. kek

Honestly I don't see a lot of dangerous looking cars on the road even with the lack of inspections. Every now and then I hear cars with bad brake noises. Mississippi actually got rid of even the most basic inspections just a few years ago. There are shops here in Louisiana that only exist to inspect so I doubt they'll do that here.

You have yearly ones in broderlandet? Never knew that

They have listened to Norway and are thinking of going bi-yearly soon though.

I'd be fine with yearly if it was cheaper

Minimum $110 where I live, plus about $25 for an eventual reinspecton of what was wrong

No, he's an angry saftey inspector who hates life and everything around him and wants to be transferred back to Philly.
If you were the trash his car he'd never make it back to Pennsylvania.

People who live in areas that have inspections seem to absolutely hate people that live in areas that don't.

Bus, train, flight, lots of alternatives in a country with a proper infrastructure.

I just might so happen that on his way back to Pennsylvania that his death trap decides to shit itself causing someone else death because of him.

Also you would drive all the way to Permian Basin just a fuck with someone?

>No, he's an angry saftey inspector who hates life and everything around him
I know that guy! Him and his four clones work at a DMV near me

That's the weird thing it's really not a death trap he got bored one day and change the axles out because he thought there was a possibility they might be worn. It just doesn't meet his own personal ideas for what he would like so he is afraid it wouldn't meet public safety's either. The only thing I know to actually be wrong with it is the gas gauge doesn't work. Even spent two and a half hours whining his headlights because it's in his words it's the right thing to do.

When did I become a "saftey" inspector just because I demand other drivers that share the road to have safe cars?

No you misunderstand he is a safety inspector for one of the oil field service companies.

I stand corrected.
But American services are as we all know not to be trusted since the American Dream, cheap out as much to earn as much as possible ruin a lot of things.

Then don't ever travel to any state besides Delaware, Illinois, Hawaii, Louisiana, Maine, Massachusetts, Mississippi, Missouri, New Hampshire, New Jersey, New York, North Carolina, Pennsylvania, Rhode Island, Texas, Utah, Vermont, Virginia and West Virginia. The District of Colombia. Any state not on that list doesn't require any type of safety inspection.

I have met people from states that do require safety inspections and when you tell them that your jurisdiction does not they actually seem to imagine your highway system looking like Mad Max they usually seem pretty surprised when the traffic looks like it does everywhere else in the United States

New Jersey here, that list has to be bullshit I can't believe that there are states out there that don't require safety inspections.

How do they guarantee the cars out on the road are in working order if they don't?

> jumper wire from left to right headlights
> just a wire dangling infront of the radiator
> removed wire, no change

> heated seats
> like 6 connectors
> should be 1

> tail lights jumped from left to right
> for no apparent reason

> exhaust bolted directly to car

> both engine mounts way smaller than OEM
> both mounts different
> one mount has half an inch of washers

> engine looks like it's been rebuilt
> looks like used Silicone only, no gaskets

> werid bracket holding intake manifold up
> explains those 4 black streaks on the under side of the bonnet
> intake manifold must of fallen off head at some stage

> lol, what do you need hear linkage bushings for?

They don't.