How can I modify my car to give it better gas mileage? What can I do to the engine?

How can I modify my car to give it better gas mileage? What can I do to the engine?

Other urls found in this thread:

zeromotorcycles.com/
ecomodder.com/forum/fuel-economy-mpg-modifications.php
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

How far is your commute?
City or freeway?
How many miles per month do you drive?
What kind of budget do you have?

My commute to College is about 30 miles, 10 city 20 freeway. Don't really know how many miles I drive a month. Maybe 500? My budget is pretty flexible

Pump up tires a few PSI

Try to use brakes little as possible

Remove everything from the car you can (spare tire/jack even)

Read ahead in traffic more

Turn off all electronics inside the car you can

Less grippy, smaller tires

Does anyone even carry a spare or jack anymore? I've never needed either in 8 years of driving, and I'm in CA where many of the roads might as well be the Lunar surface.

>How can I modify my car to give it better gas mileage?
Put a diesel engine on it.

Consider electric bike.
Save you tons in fuel

I carry mine because I get 2 or 3 flats per year doing pizza delivery

ive blown 4 or 5 tires in a little over 2 year so yeah my car is a rolling toolbox

Like an electric motorcycle or something? Does that exist?

Where are the hell are you people driving? The hardware aisle at Home Depot?

Yes. Or bicycle.
The come in different price ranges.
Higher price has more speed and range.
Some do 50+mph

Absolutely. zeromotorcycles.com/

Buy a motorcycle and stop caring. They all get good mileage while still being fun

Drive the speed limit on the highway. On my old car i lost 1mpg for every 5mph over the limit on the highway.

Accelerate as quickly as possible to top speed and turn off the engine coasting until you almost stop.

Rinse and repeat.

Turning on the engine wastes a lot of gas.

Or is this a boomer meme?

It only works on carby vehicles, most good efi engines will cut the fuel while coasting.

>driving to school
live on campus ffs

>Does anyone even carry a spare or jack anymore?
It depends on your road quality, weather, climate, how much debris is on your roads, and if people sabotage certain roads.

If you have lots of potholes or the highway joints are bumpy/jagged, then the belts inside the tire take a beating. When they are properly bonded to the rubber, they are strong and don't unravel because they don't break free from the rubber. If they do, you get a weak spot.

Weather can oxidize the tires with microcracks and a constantly dry climate means the rubber dries out faster in the heat.

Around here, unhappy people sabotage the roads by regularly throwing out handfuls of nails and screws on the city roads. I've driven just 5100 miles so far and picked up 7 nails and screws. The timing of the flats coincides with driving through a certain area that is full of minority homeless and also home to most of the city's arsons. It has the on and off ramp, but I'm debating about taking a longer path because this is annoying.

>turn off the engine
You realise that no fuel is delivered to the engine if it's at full throttle and running above idle, right?

>Like an electric motorcycle or something?
Electric bicycle. The electrics assist you with going up hills, otherwise you don't engage the motors. When you remove all the uphill strains, riding a bicycle can be pretty good. Except for the few asshole car drivers that hate bicycles enough to try to "accidentally" sideswipe them off the road.

30 miles is much too far for a daily bicycle commute, electric assist or no.
t. cyclist who visits Veeky Forums almost exclusively for shitposting purposes

>How can I modify my car to give it better gas mileage?
Experiment with the fuel octane to see what is the most economical choice. The manufacturer wants to sell cars, so they don't like saying the car requires premium (high octane), so the engine and computer is made so that it can use regular octane. The MPG tests will be obtained with as many variables in their favor though such as gasoline.

When you tank runs low, try getting a higher octane. If your MPG goes up 10% but the fuel costs only 10% more, then you should move up. If higher octane improves your mileage, that means the computer was retarding your timing to prevent knock with the lower octane. It can retard and retard and retard to the point where a lot of fuel waste occurs just to prevent knock. The higher octane means the timing doesn't need to be retarded.

> I don't understand how engines work

lol wat nigger?
If I sit in my driveway revving the fuck out of my engine it burns fuel

I think he meant closed throttle, kek. Which would be true, when you're coasting in gear the momentum of the car keeps the engine rotating so it doesn't need to burn fuel to stop it from stalling.

Living on campus is awful, I had to live on campus for the first two years of school and left at the first avaioable opportunity.

I recall reading at some point in the past that the true meaning of 'full throttle' was the opposite if its colloquial one: intake is throttled to the fullest degree, i.e., almost closed. I was going to do a bit of pedantic shitposting about it, but now I can't find any references which support that position.

It's sort of a meme. It doesn't burn any more fuel to start up a car, but the fuel level at which the car will refuse to run is lower than the point at which it will refuse to start. So if you're critically low on fuel, you might not want to shut off your engine while you wait in line at the pump.

If you coast in gear, you're actually braking. Your engine is converting your kinetic energy into heat by compressing air, and then exhausting that heat out of the tailpipe. This is no better than just braking later from a fuel efficiency standpoint. What you want to do is take the car out of gear and let it coast down as slowly as possible. This means that your engine is idling, which means it's using fuel.

So the proper technique for maximum fuel economy is to accelerate rapidly to as fast as you can go without having to brake (or around 55 mph, whichever is lower), holding that speed as long as possible, and predicting when you'll need to brake and coasting out of gear with the engine off down so you just miss that car merging in front of you or roll to a stop right at the stoplight limit line. Then, start your car back up (bumpstart if you're still rolling) and repeat.

Being off throttle uses no fuel whatsoever. Its literally the same result.

As always the answer is the honda c90

Genuine ones are as relaible as and machine can be, and they get fantastic mpg

>left at the first avaioable opportunity.
was that just before they taught you to spell?

>live close to your most common commute
Buy moped or sumn
>have actual commute of note
A E R O D Y N A M I Q U E
google hypermiler mawds and do a bunch of them

not everyone here is a europoor

You're braking a bit, but a modern car cuts the fuel injectors once it figures out it doesn't need fuel to keep running. Should note that I've tested it in my vehicle, and there's a good 2-3 second delay after releasing the throttle before it cuts the idle fuel. Not sure if others do the same. Also not sure how well that works for an auto.

Coasting in neutral might let you coast for a little bit longer since you don't have the engine friction and compression work slowing you down (though compression work should be small as the expansion force of that compressed air is essentially recovered on the down stroke), but, you're using fuel to keep the engine going.

I don't know if anybody has ever done a scientific test on which one would save more fuel, but the way I see it, if you need to use the brakes at all then you've wasted fuel. If I'm off-throttle, I'm intending to slow down, so I'll take the in-gear coasting thanks.

maybe not but budget mods > fancy shit

I was on my phone in bed posting late, I didn't bother to look.

available*

>ecomods
>ecomodder.com/forum/fuel-economy-mpg-modifications.php
>overinflate tires by 10%
>accellerate under load and slightly under maximum torque
>partial kammback
>flat closed hubcaps
>prius disk tires
>(partial) grillblock
>flat undertray
>weight reduction