Plastic bullshit

What the fuck happened to showing off sexy engines? I don't get all of this plastic bullshit everywhere.

It makes it scarier to work on for normies who also like the "cleaner" look.

302 a shit

cheaper than chrome

>all cars now look like Apple cars while still being no simpler or more reliable than PC cars

Noise insulation.

It's simply easier, and by extension cheaper, to get a finished appearance by using covers. While I do like the look because that's what I grew up with, you do have to admit the Boss 302 engine compartment in your pic is a bit of a mess and fixing it on a mass-production basis would simply be too much

You call that a bit of a mess? Everything is easily accessed by basic hand tools and you can still see the ground on both sides of the engine. That's dead fucking simple compared to today, come on.

Plastic is there because of sound and cooling. It is very easy to remove. The only people pissed off about plastic covers are pissed because a 3.5 liter v6 with plastic produces twice the power of muh chrome v-8 while using a quarter of the fuel.

Unless you have a set up where each cylinder has its own throttle body nobody wants to see your goofy trash except boomers.

I'm talking about a finished appearance, that includes aesthetically routed harnesses and hoses, consistent colors, tastefully located components, etc.

But of course you knew that and chose to change your argument from being one of appearance to one of access instead

This

Nigger you said "fixing it". That means ease of access you sped

Not within the context of the comment it doesn't.

I'd say "nice try" but it was actually pretty damn weak.

It looks better, runs quieter and saves weight

Boomers get out

>saves weight
>additional piece to engine bay

I've noticed that companies are trying to make it more difficult for the AVERAGE consumer to do their own repairs.

I've had a number of vehicles that had spark plugs blocked off by either an airbox or intercooler.

I've seen dips ticks buried into the engine where you need a damn glove to make sure you don't burn yourself.

I've seen an entire engine bay being nothing more than 5 flat plastic panels with little accents and lettering. Covered everything.

I see the different sides of the arguement: manufacturers don't want customers doing their own repairs, customers are scared of the noisy thing under the hood that has all those weird wires and hoses, and then you have the tech whose annoyed by 10lbs of plastic covering his beautiful air pump that requires specialty tools to do simple repairs.

You know who makes the decision at the end of the day? Not the grease monkey or the enthusiast because they're a small minority compared to the dumb customer who pays $80 for an oil change because "cars are hard" and manufacturers need to keep their dealerships open with more than just car sales.

Think of it like a movie theatre: you go in for the movie, but they keep the lights on with the popcorn. Same thing with car sales and service. Make things too accessible, or too easy to fix, and they won't sell their up charged services.

More is less, stupid goyim. Now fork over the dosh.

I know people like to complain about plastic in the modern automotive industry but I've kind of grown to appreciate higher quality plastics as time goes on. A common misconception about plastic in general is that its cheap and an inferior material to aluminum or steel ect. Some of the glass fiber reinforced plastics used under the hood are actually really fucking expensive to manufacture and a lot more resilient than one may think. If you don't like it, and prefer a more honest looking engine bay, then take it off. Most of the time its not that hard.

The only polymer I've ever seen that's been anywhere near durable came on my Russian Vepr-12. Molot's furniture and magazines were a thick high quality polymer with steel reinforcments that don't break easy.

American furniture and magazines are made with the same crap they put in cars: Cheap fucking plastic. It gets brittle and breaks, and god forbid you knock it on a rock or something. (I'm looking at you, magpul.)

>Cheap fucking plastic
>It gets brittle

Yea nah

Say what you will about magpul but they use good polymers and if a pmag gets brittle in sub-zero weather that vepr mag will too.

>god forbid you knock it on a rock or something.

If you drop a mag on its feed lips it's probably going to break. Steel reinforcements bend. Seeing as most every polymer mag on the market can be run over by a truck with no deformations, that's pretty good for not being a heavy fukhueg mag with overkill steel reinforcements.

i dunno, this car seems pretty friendly to work on desu

What is the point of this? It looks better, I guess, but who cares that much? Most people probably never look under the hood except very superficially, so it doesn't matter for them, and it just inconveniences anyone who wants to work on their car.

please don't shoot up a school

>triggered by gun talk

wew

Protip: Apple computers aren't simpler or more reliable than PCs either.

Protip: They can have the exact same components, kill yourself normie

>mfw 18 year old plastic intake falling apart
REEEEEEEEEEEEEE fucking ls1 shit!

My car has a plastic airbox over the engine, thats it.
Interestingly the valve cover and intake manifold is plastic as well.

I had no problem removing these parts when I measured my valve clearance.
It seems to be some kind of fibre reinforced nylon or something.
It is a pretty tough material.

Protip: apple solders chips directly to the motherboard and glues cases together to save space

If you took away the plastic covers, you'll see a ton of wires running around. It's not as nice as you think underneath.

because most don't look all that sexy under the plastic....

>ecotec
>ecoboost
what's going on here. Chevy and Ford sharing the same fuckin name

They literally are PCs, just with more proprietary parts.

Interestingly those 4-8 bolts separates the men from the mice

>Ecosomething
>Ecoother

Eco has prefixed hundreds of vehicle trims and engines before those two even came along.

"ecotec" has been around since the 90's

Magpul's not too bad, plus the mags are decently cheap. Not as cheap as stanags but cheaper than a rus polymer ak74 or 47 mag. Also vltor makes good polymer stocks

Is that one bank or are you driving a kei car?

>aesthetically routed harnesses and hoses, consistent colors, tastefully located components

Function and ease of repair be damned. Not like normies are going to look under the hood anyway.

>Is that one bank?
No.
>are you driving a kei car?
No, but almost.
Sweet little 60mpg with a simple NA little gas engine.