Classic Car General

/ccg/-Classic Car General

Cars your dad almost bought in the 1980s for $13,000 edition

A thread devoted to all classics regardless of nationality or condition.

Other urls found in this thread:

investopedia.com/articles/active-trading/080715/if-you-would-have-invested-right-after-apples-ipo.asp
vancouver.craigslist.ca/van/cto/6052652628.html
lakecharles.craigslist.org/cto/6052839601.html
petrolicious.com/buying-a-mercedes-benz-300-sl-gullwing-in-1970
classiccars.com/listings/view/966266/1966-chrysler-300-for-sale-in-riverside-new-jersey-08075
sfbay.craigslist.org/eby/cto/6021769570.html
sfbay.craigslist.org/eby/cto/6004920014.html
comoxvalley.craigslist.ca/cto/6021230961.html
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

>Cars your dad almost bought in the 1980s for $13,000 edition
More like 13,000 Ostmark and more like actually bought. Could be wrong on the price though.

A story about missing an opportunity like a 250GT Pininfarina for 13,000 is more entertaining than the story of a average bloke buying a trabant

>le muh dad paid 3k for a hemi cuda in the 70s
13k was a shitton of money in the 80s bro. Fuck that car and look at what 13k would have done in Apple. I don't get why people don't understand inflation.

13k in 1980 are 39k now. 13k in 1985 are 29k now. It's not a lot of money for a 250GT. I doubt 39k can even buy you a Ferrari these days, and if they do it'll be a fucking Mondial.

>t. moron missing the point
investopedia.com/articles/active-trading/080715/if-you-would-have-invested-right-after-apples-ipo.asp

I'd laugh past that shitbox 250 in my F1 desu senpai.

If you bought 6500 shares of Apple when it was $2 AND held the same stock for 30 years it would be like $51,000,000 today after all the splits. But buying Apple stock in the 80s and hanging on to it for 30 years is the investing equivalent of buying a Hemi Cuda in the 70s for 3k. Nobody had any idea Apple would take off and nobody knew Hemi Cudas would be so expensive

Then what's the point of this thread? 13k was "a lot of money" back then for an old car.

My dad bought John A. Davidson's 1982 FXRS prototype for $12,000.00 back in 1985 or 1986. I declined an offer for $125,000.00 for it back in 2003.

Why is Sammy Hagar the classic car GOAT of rock music?

SHE'S ON FIREEEEEEEEEEE

WHY ARE HEMI CUDAS SO EXPENSIVE

GODDAMNIT IM JUST A 22 YEAR OLD WITH A MUSCLE CAR FETISH AND NO MONEY

REEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE

>WHY ARE HEMI CUDAS SO EXPENSIVE
They were ugly as shit and Hemis didn't come with a warranty so nobody bought E-bodies back then.

Why do you want a hemi?
Just get a 440 or 383 .
Some Bolt ons and a Cam and you are good to go.
There is no reason for you to buy a hemi Car.

More like 2.5k

rebuilt the entire brake system, gonna finish it up today by drawing some more blood through the system, then i'm taking it out for some light testing.

by light testing, i mean im not going to be doing a lot of testing, i fully plan on pushing the brakes hard though...

if it doesn't stop thats not good.

what are some good sites for classic car parts?

Summit, ebay, rockauto etc.

OPG

buy a crate 440 hemi because they exist (but like all brand new crate engines cost too much)

He needs something to put it in too.
Frankly, the $/hp ratio is better on a wedgehead then a Hemi.

These guys have the right idea. The 440 is vastly superior.

Buy a luxury Mopar with the 440, build it, and enjoy.

Page 9 the fuck

Depends on the parts

I've heard lots of good classic Ferrari sob stories from customers, one old timer bought a 68 GTC for 5k in Italy when he was in the military in the early 70s, brought it back, ended up needing top end work, sold it for 7k thinking he was a genius for actually making a profit on it, now they are ~800k for a nice example. You couldn't even sell a Dino for 5k in the 80s.

He has a nice collection too

How much do you lads think it would cost if I got a sump welded to my gas tank?

I'll be providing the sump (and of course, the tank) and this place said it would be ~$140

Fug... vancouver.craigslist.ca/van/cto/6052652628.html

Man for 500 bucks there is NO EXCUSE go fucking buy that shit

I would if I could. That's so outrageously cheap

lakecharles.craigslist.org/cto/6052839601.html

How bad is a "leaking transmission?"

If it's worth mentioning in the ad, probably "Go for a drive then top it off when you get home" kinda bad

So, I have a spare Cadillac 500 engine, transmission, rear axle, etc just sitting around. I'm thinking of swapping it into my new Rolls Royce.

Thoughts?

I was getting no spark in my '69 ElCo and after troubleshooting the coil, found that it was not getting 12V properly switched. Grounded and wired to battery, tried turning the car over, still no spark and the ignition coil puked its guts out, literally.

All the oil came out of my Mallory ignition coil, so I had to buy a new shit one from Autozone.

Hoping it was the coil and it will give spark on next try.

will it even fit in it though? If so, Yes yes and more yes

Sawzall; so, yes.

It should, though, as there's a LOT of space under the hood.

there's an article written by a family physician describing buying a used 300SL Gullwing back in 1970s when these were cheap

petrolicious.com/buying-a-mercedes-benz-300-sl-gullwing-in-1970

it's probably a bit like being middle class and buying an old SLR McLaren these days

Build it to break the gasoline engine speed record set by a previous 500.

What's the blue car?

Dinner

Looks like a g wiz

>someone I know has a 1000cc mini engine (not sure which model it's from) and will probably sell it to me for extremely cheap
Should I get a rusty, shit MK5 rolling shell, Veeky Forums?

You should get a Morris minor

Keep going strong.

>driving them in the winter
PAIN
altho the ribbon speedo is qt

FRESH COOLâ„¢

>south
>winter

It looks like snow!

or
>south
>owning classic cars with that humidity

the humidity sucks a fat one to live with, but It's the road salts that kill the car.

Thankfully it rarely snows in southern states, and alot of them don't bother salting the roads when it does.

If only i had the means to move out to Arizona or New Mexico.

Sun will destroy paint, leather, plastic and will fade color out of basically anything. There is no perfect environment for cars except for a vacuum.

Yes well once rust eats away metal then it's gone for good.

Just weld new metal in.

I'd personally rather just buy reproduction seats and pads and get a new paintjob ever 7-10 years then sand, cut, and weld sheet metal onto a car frame but that's just me.

Is there a lending group any of you would recommend? I've delved into loans and I feel as though the odds of getting a loan for a classic car would be slim even with good credit.

**I've never delved into loans**

I'm in Texas. The humidity isn't too bad, bad, the sun is brutal. Still, it's a fair trade-off for being able to drive a classic car year round.

Try a personal loan through a credit union.

>racing has been cancelled three weekends in a row now because of weather

You're better off with a personal loan. Then you can also keep the title

lel

Total smogdog-spec (like '76)? Also what year is the RR?

If only i had the money
classiccars.com/listings/view/966266/1966-chrysler-300-for-sale-in-riverside-new-jersey-08075

Thinking that rotting corpse is worth $3500 might be an indicator why you ended up without money, that thing is a nightmare.
sfbay.craigslist.org/eby/cto/6021769570.html
sfbay.craigslist.org/eby/cto/6004920014.html

implying i would even buy it

No, a proper high-horsepower motor from a Fleetwood Talisman Limo that had about 14,000 miles; it's denoted as the "High Performance" upgrade.

The Rolls is a '67 RHD model; not bad for $600.00.

>sfbay.craigslist.org/eby/cto/6021769570.html
Holy shit those seats must be riddled with mold or aids for it to be that cheap right? I'd expect something that nice to go for double that

Jesus christ that's a pile. More like $500
Meanwhile there's this in my town that's in way, way better shape
comoxvalley.craigslist.ca/cto/6021230961.html

>blah blah limo HP
Neat.

>'67 RHD model
>RHD
Neat, how/why is that now in murika?

Easy, someone buys it overseas and imports it in

Well not in the 80's, but in the 70's my dad considered buying a 300Sl Gullwing that a shop had for sale. Body and mechanical had been redone, interior needed work. I think it was something like $4000 in 1972.

Old shitbox thread for edgy hipster nerds

But that's every thread on Veeky Forums

I don't care how it got here; all I care about is that it's mine.

>hipsters
>v8 engines

>nerds
>mechanical ignition
sure

do i look like a hipster to you, bub?

I don;t think you know what Shitbox or Hipster means, my son.

>getting baited this easily
Par for the course for Some Dude at least

I enjoy bait, please bait me some more

I know I have outdated luxury cars; though, I maintain that they're as practical as any other car.

Trufacts

Except they're typically slower, not as safe and less fuel efficient as they're modern equivalents. Which are typically the only measures of everyday practicality for the average person.

They're not slower; fuck safety, and fuel efficiency is no worse than a pickup truck.

Safety is a choice and you can't deny a new car is safer. My 15 year old BMW is faster to 60 than a Hemi Challenger and has a higher top speed. Also any new V8 pickup with cylinder deactivation will get better mileage than your Imperial. I appreciate classic cars but you're deusional if you think cars haven't generally improved in objective terms over 40 years

I didn't say "better," I said "as practical" because a classic is ideally suited to how I use a car and what I want out of a vehicle.

And what do you do with your vehicle?

My Granddad's importing his 1937 Ford something from the Seychelles to Australia, Would customs get angry at rust?

I haul a lot of parts, commute short distances for work, spontaneously drive across the country, and work on them for fun.

>tfw that Trump sticker isn't sold anymore
It was the most aesthetic, the Trump Pence one looks like shit

>Safety is a choice and you can't deny a new car is safer.
yeah well the thing is, nobody itt really cares

Your fundamental flaw is you are using pure logic to appeal to an emotionally charged choice when it comes to using a classic.

My truck is objectively one of the worst cars I've ever driven, yet I don't care because it makes me really happy and it looks good. It objectively is inferior to my Acura in every way but payload and towing capacity, yet I pick the truck to drive 3 times out of 4

Any sort of Safety rating is the last thing on my mind when owning a vehicle, that's for sure

This. I wouldn't ride motorcycles otherwise

Except the original argument was an old car is just as practical to the average person as a new car. It isn't an emotionally charged argument. The fact is for an average person a 3k civic or Corolla is better than a 3k falcon.

except for driving your dates around in a classic car.

Your date would much prefer getting to where she wants to in relative comfort. A 3k Civic will have air conditioning and a much better ride than a 3k Falcon.

>girls will like me because of my ca-

You aren't talking to normal people. We literally have a different perspective. It's like an atheist trying to rock the faith of a minister, neither one will "win" this argument.

a $3k Falcon is probably a piece of shit anyway but you're talking like you can't add A/C to any car you want.

Your date would probably care more about not smelling exhausting and listening to a loud ass engine.

I don't want to date a girl who would rather drive around in my malibu than my galaxie.

and so far I haven't met one of those types either.

My truck is much more attractive for dates than my Acura.

A bench seat will literally make the world of difference

Lmao. Nice non-argument. 90% of people on the road drive what they do because they need transportation. I'm talking about simple objective facts yet you keep bringing emotion into it. When most people buy a car they consider reliability, fuel economy and safety. Just because you don't consider these to be important doesn't mean you've won the argument.

This, for some reason chicks love old cars, probably because they get more attention than a shitbox.