What's the function of spoilers?

What's the function of spoilers?

I mean, i realize that the less weight the more important downforce is, and the less restrictive the flow before the wing the better response, but i still dont fully get it.

I get that some people get racing FWD cars set up to oversteer and use big rear wings to counter that, and ive read that SOME PEOPLE might have spoilers producing upforce to force the front down (but i think that was bullshit).

However, the actually good excuse i found was that the vortex, dirty air, or basically the mess of air flow behind the car was affecting the performance of the car, and people used spoilers (read, the civic type R spoilers) to get this vortex of trapped air as behind as possible, if not try to remove it entirely, and supposedly this could help reduce drag slightly.

Is that bullshit? or is trapped air behind the car good for drag?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=Kco1d73DT1M
youtube.com/watch?v=auTgf2KRCvE
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sydney_Motorsport_Park#Lap_records
youtube.com/watch?v=XyOGdjWDVM4
microaero.com/how-do-micro-vgs-work/
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

I miss the My Summer Car threads...

I read in the trucker general that the vortex behind the trailer in this case creates a low pressure area which effectively functions as a very mild vacuum and creates the equivalent of drag on the truck by having a high/low pressure differential between the front and back of the car. I imagine it would be the same for a car only to a smaller degree. It sounds plausible but I'm not an air doctor so I can't say for sure.

The function of a spoiler is to "spoil" the lift.

That explains why the aerodynamic flow of cars with/with no spoiler shows that spoilers, even on road cars and even on FWD cars prove to reduce the vortex.

That explains a lot if you are correct even tho you aint an air doctor.

But then what's the point of the vortex generator in sports cars?

it cuts into the air during a turn when the end slides out and the wing is able to cut into the cars own wake to stabilize the rear tires. Keisuke explained this. Nobody here pays attention, I swear.

also that latter part about downforce is bullshit. cars are not airplanes. aerodynamics are mostly irrelevant. It's weight, distribution and suspension that matter.

a spoiler isn't exposed to air really. it's still coming off the roof and only a small amount will hug the body of the car and pass over it.

when a spoiler REALLY shines is in a drift when the back end slides out. then it's cutting like a knife through open air not effected by the nose of the car. Get it?

>But then what's the point of the vortex generator in sports cars?
I know vortex generators are used to help improve laminar airflow going closer to the car's body which does decrease drag presumably in exchange for a small amount of lift generation. This would be canceled out if the air running over the car ends up running into a wing though so it's basically a minor trade-off in downforce for lower drag. I imagine that you'd only see the benefits in either extremely high performance motoring or on something like a long haul truck where minor reductions in drag can equal substantial fuel savings which is why you don't see vortex generators on most road cars even if they would technically be beneficial.

don't know what the hell you're trying to say but this explains it perfectly

air coming down from the roof and over the rear window to the trunk creates lift, a spoiler helps create a higher pressure zone on top of the trunk to reduce the lift effect

that's also why the vortex generators on EVO's are dumb and useless, it just makes the air travel more efficiently over the rear window and creates more lift

also aero on road cars hardly effects anything anyways, EVO/STI wings, Type R spoilers, etc. they are all too small and the cars are going too slow for them to do anything significant

All you have to know is NASCAR stock cars are fast as shit, and their rear spoiler is not a giant meme fin.

pic related is the kind of drifting I was talking about here . Something Keisuke spoke about in the anime.

You do know that the more downforce you have the harder it is to go fast right?

Nascar doesn't need a giant fucking fin because the massive banks in the corners.

NASCAR aero is very heavily regulated

and so are sprint cars, also the big end plates to their wings create a ton of sideforce and downforce

time attack cars are not regulated and they run crazy aero set ups, because they are allowed to

You don't know what you're talking about.

I showed you an image of it's real life application. You're not even thinking about it, just spouting shit you've probably learned from goybook and jewpedia. Look at the picture. Study the drift. The geometry of the back end over the nose. That spoiler is catching the wake produced by the displaced air from the nose.

Learn something.

>that spoiler is catching the wake
You are retarded, you probably also don't even know those cares have two different sized rear tires..

That's so cool. Got any videos?

yeah in normal driving conditions spoiler makes you slower

in going fast spoiler can help counter oversteer/understeer

are you a chatbot? can you not see pictures?

>goal posting

youtube.com/watch?v=Kco1d73DT1M

to redirect airflow away from unfavourable areas

>STI wing
it does have an effect
namely a without the wing would always land nose first off a crest

jesus christ, that pov clip is completely insane

got any comparison on a time attack car vs a regular racecar? because that isnt that impressive and a F1 car will shit on them anyway if we're talking about laptimes

Nice.

youtube.com/watch?v=auTgf2KRCvE

Check out 5:07 for a huge drift. Torques the whole chassis like that spoiler is a rudder.

But the only reason F1 cars are fast is because of their tires.

no it doesn't, subaru says 50 lbs at 90 mph

50 lbs on a 3300 lbs (?) car is nothing

also no idea if that 50 lbs number is while the wing is on the car or just calculated based off of the dimensions of the wing, because when mounted on the car it'll be producing a lot less

Idk about the road going cars but the rally cars had fins in the wing for sideforce

>a spoiler isn't exposed to air really

well ok, here's the track from that video

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sydney_Motorsport_Park#Lap_records

first under Touring cars would be this time attack car, which also has a competitive time against the Formula Holden and Formula 3 cars

outright record held by the A1GP car, which are based off of 2004 Ferrari F1 chassis and are using 600hp Ferrari v8's

a1gp lapped eastern creek in 1:19
grand prix car on slicks...

a silvia s15 on street tires did it in 1:22

>s15
s13*

not until you throw the back end out.

it's easily explainable, you're just stupid in a very specific way, overlooking the obvious. you've probably been jewed somewhere along the way, or are knowingly spreading misinformation. I'll explain it to you again:

the nose of the car is pushing the air. displacing it. the reason why some air hugs the top of the car and rides the body down to the tail is because of a pressure difference that exists. A pressure difference caused by less air because the nose pushed it away.

when the cars back end slides out. that's when a spoiler gets air. Watch this clip at 5:07

So basically what the vortex generators do is slightly decrease the effect of air after the generators on the actual body? or do they just decrease the dirty air after the cars body?

Those 09 ferrari with the gyroscopic aerodynamic caps on the rims don't have faster times than the 04 car? surprising.

So what the fuck do you think a spoiler gets when the car is traveling straight, an actual fucking vacuum? air gets everywhere, at different speeds and pressure, but it gets everyfuckingwhere. So no, faggot. I am not stupid for pointing out that a spoiler is always getting air.

I guess you could say they decrease the dirty air on the body. They're intended to create a smooth stream of air that flows right over the surface of the car which reduces drag.

>air gets everywhere
not in significant amounts. your fixation on downforce like cars are airplanes is mystifying.

He added trains today

i never even fucking mentioned airplanes lol

So what they do is create a high pressure high speed vortex that goes over the dirty air zone and slightly reduces the vacuum in it?

no you just keep missing the actual function of spoilers because you're stupid. it's not for going straight. its function is to catch the wake from the sides in turns.

but that would just explain the fins of the spoiler. Not the actual spoiler section, since even when going sideways, the amount of air that the spoiler is able to push shouldn't be much.

Pic related.

yeah that's irrelevant jewshit used to sell you plastic shitboxes.

you think it's cool or it does something because you're dumb.

lets try this again. I am trying to find effects of spoilers on a straight line on cars. I know they do something, and as i've read so far, what they do is increase the pressure zones or move the pressure zones down to decrease the vacuum in the back of the car, and reduce the lift in the car after the air goes through the roof.

>So what they do is create a high pressure high speed vortex that goes over the dirty air zone and slightly reduces the vacuum in it?
Not really. To really understand it you need to have some knowledge of fluid dynamics and aerodynamics. The simplest explanation is they help maintain the smooth layer of air that naturally forms over the body of the car in places where it would otherwise turn into turbulent (or dirty) air.

I do have some knowledge of fluids. Not studied it but i sure as fuck did care about learning it.

I get how vortex are formed but how do they work?

Are they just high pressure high speed streams that force the air to smooth out? but if so, wouldn't that increase dirty air and the vacuum behind the car?

>I know they do something
nope

youtube.com/watch?v=XyOGdjWDVM4

there's your homework. a vortex is caused by a pressure difference. It produces the shape of a spiral since water contains spin and likes to fold in on itself.

video will reveal much more.

>water
or air in a vehicle's case.

it's worth learning about water to study fluid dynamics.

I get that

What i dont get is how is that good if wouldn't that create more dirty air and create more lift on the upper rear of the car?

enough with the lift shit. a spoiler is on the rear of a car beneath the roof. under most of the displaced air in a low pressure environment.

it literally only has a use in the turns when the back end slides out and the fin is exposed to higher pressure air (ie air not traveling along the car's body)

this is much easier to understand if you think about how rudders work in a boat. when you turn it one way and expose it to flowing water. it puts a torque on the entire boat from the back all the way to the front - dragging its bow in the direction you want it to go.

Even in an airplane. "lift" is a useless meme. An airplane flies because it pushes against air, physically torquing its frame up or down - depending on where you direct the flaps.

I get how fins work. I just dont see how the effects of it improve on anything. I dont mean downlift in the sense that you might think but lift in the sense of the air going down after passing the roof and creatin a slight vacuum and getting the car up.

And even if we ignore that, vortex generators wouldn't still create small slipstreams of high speed high pressure vortex that wont allow air to fill the dirty air zone?

here's why it works. in a drift, your back end is not aligned with your front - which is steering away from the curve trying to correct your angle. When you accellerate like this, you put energy from the rear trying to get to the nose of the car. since it's turned, it's thrown to the outside. A fin will fascilitate the energy transfer of your car in a turn by pushing the frame toward the nose when it slides out. It's self-correcting.

That's why I posted this video. So you can see a significant lurch caused by wind passing over it.

What? no. We are not talking abotu the spoiler fins in that post. I was talking about vortex generators.

oh. The vortex forces in the rear are significant enough to play a role in exactly one situation I can think of. That's why I tried to get you off that line of thinking earlier. You're too influenced by hollywood.

Here's where the rear vortex comes into play: When another car sits in it, exactly behind you. This matters because now his engine is running lighter. In NASCAR the guy in back can boost you by giving you a tap on the bumper.

Want to know where to really understand how to nurture the movement of air in a car? The intake manifold. You can improve the performance of your engine by simply making sure your pipes are shaped how air likes to behave.

>vortex generators
Oh! I'm sorry. I realized you were talking about an actual thing.

Watch this video right now See these fins in my image of this log flume? those fins are vortex generators you're talking about. Sorry about the confusion.

Yes. That's what i mean. But while i understand their effect i dont see how is any good. If you want as much air going downwards after it goes past the highest point of the car so that there's as little lift in the rear and as little dirty air as possible wouldn't vortex generators fuck that up?

essentially a vortex generator will spin the center of a body of fluid (air), essentially bringing the body to life as it not only move forward, but spins.

In a car, this spirals the air coming off the vehicle, making its force much harder when it hits something.

No. Because your concerns about lift are overwrought.

In a drift, the fin would catch more air, which would push it down and twist the frame to the nose- for superior stability.

>the fin
of course I mean the spoiler of the car. That's where the magic happens. When the corner of your rear end slips out into fresh air.

So is that the actual point of the vortex generators in car? to have higher force on the air that hits the spoiler or wing?

i assume so. why else would you wake up a vortex except to tap into it?

microaero.com/how-do-micro-vgs-work/

here's a good example on planes. when you wake up the vortex over the wing, now you have a great force of air to work with when your flaps hit it

so apparently that's called the alieron. sorry I'm not good with names of things. just shapes and space.

Less wang more drift

Didn't that S13 have like 1000HP or something? vs the 500 or so HP found in A1GP and just over 300 HP found in Formula Holden?

All of these idiots whining "doesn't matter on a straight line, not enough air"
Have any of you faggots ever opened a physics book?
I don't mean high school physics, I mean actual physics. Airflow matters so fucking much that newer cars have a slight flat body under the bumpers, to make the airflow more laminar and to flow over the tranny.
Just.
For.
Mileage.
Tl;Dr
Spoilers matter, and a lot. In a straight line. Yes.

What he means is that extra downforce is good for accelerating, and I guess drifting stability, but it reduces top speed because downforce increases drag coefficient.

yeah from the front of the car where the nose is actually displacing air, you tool. I believe that's called "actual physics"

k.

So TL;DR vortex generators only work when they hit a spoiler or wing and otherwise they are fucking useless.

Bonus question:

Wouldn't a car have insane ground effect downforce if its made with higher rear end ride?

Like, have the car be angled and have the skirts still stick to the ground so that as air travel from from to back of the car it creates an higher suction. Because every race car ive seen always likes to be close to the ground both on the front and on the rear.

Then you would have more drag, limiting your speeds.

from where does the drag comes from. Mr Dubs?

rly maeks u thnik!!!!

from right here
*unzips pants*

i didn't knew a 4 inches antennae could create so much flap.

you'd be surprised what this antenna can do ;=)

Yes i would.

The back of the car. It's the same reason you see semis with those weird flaps on the back. It reduces drag, increasing mpgs.

Also I forgot to add it's also the reason why drafting benefits both the rear and front cars.

>Banked turns
>still using spoilers
for what purpose? were tracks in that era mostly non-banked? I'm too young to know.

>durr you dont need spoilers

Yeah, enjoy trying to go 190+ around an oval with any sense of stability.