Thoughts on the Honda Rebel? My father pressured me into getting my motorcycle endorsement and so I now have it...

Thoughts on the Honda Rebel? My father pressured me into getting my motorcycle endorsement and so I now have it. It would just be something to get to and from college/work, and it would be something I could call my own.

Thing is, I want something underpowered that isn't basically a moped because I don't trust myself. I see how people out here get injured all the time on motorcycles, ending up with brain injuries and shit. I want something that maxes out at barely legal highway limits and is impossible for me to be a moron on. I see how I drive, I know how I've drove my old crown vic before it got totaled getting T-boned by someone who ran a stop sign.

Honda rebel, thoughts? I'd get one that's used probably, cheap, good mileage, underpowered so I don't go doing 95mph on the freeway with it.. Plus I'll be able to park.

Even if you don't trust yourself, do not get a fucking Honda Rebel. You will regret in a day. Just get a cruiser around 600c like a Honda Shadow.
I understand the mindset if not wanting to kill yourself with the machine but once you ride for a while you realize a majority of those accidents are because of retards over estimating their abilities. If you ride smart and safe you'll build your confidence.

>first bike
>shadow 600
kys faggot

He's right you know. Even though I had a vt700 and it was a gorillion times better

They're fine if you're not a fatass and are cruising 50mph or less in-town on short jaunts. If you have any highway aims, a 500-800cc cruiser bike would be better and probably more ergonomic.

If you want a "sport" bike, an older Ninja 250 or 500 would be good. They're not terribly uncomfortable.

If you want the best of both worlds, a Honda CB750 nighthawk is just about perfect.

Why not?

Why not? It's a good size, enough to go around in but still not in the crazy sensitive throttle is gonna kill you tier.

Any bike is a good bike. Just make sure it runs. Going fast is for losers.

Get a Harley Sportster.
>they look great these days
>more than capable on the highway
>not obnoxious
>reliable as fuck
>parts galore
>cheap insurance
>comfortable for longer drives or short trips
>easily ride 2 up
>FULLY customizable

I bought one a few years ago as a run around, ended up being my second favorite bike I've ever owned (first is my first bike cuz muhhh nostalgia).

>Going fast is for losers
Is fucking your own wife for losers too?

Cuck

>getting married
Yes, that's for losers

Literally a girls bike. I'd rather get seen on a Chinese scooter than a faggy sportster.

Get a rebel or an eliminator opee. Both are way more fun than superbikes, they're like giant groms.

You can get cucked while dating

>filling the void of virginity with speed
Yah nah

This is the opinion of faggots OP. Anytime a faggot tells you what bike is not cool enough or a "girls" bike, you disregard them immediately.

>sooo girrllll
>hurrrrrr

see i started out on a 91 honda hawk GT and i was fine. Just act like your in a car all that space is yours. drive safe always look for escape routes and look in your mirrors often you'll be fine

>he's in this much denial
Just accept your transition user, or should I say... anonette?

>no woman has every owned anything but a sportster
Only Harly faggots cry about "mahhhhh guurlls bikkkkk". Meanwhile I see women on hayabusas and gsxr's and Dyna WAY more often.

>1200cc fully customizable bike
>girls bike
Pick one. It's almost like good bikes are good for anyone who wants them......

>1.2 liter
>aircooled
Basically a vw bug, ultimate girl's ride desu

>this insecure

Air cooled bikes are sexual, as are loud and large v-twins

Dangerously slow.

Like, can't break 80mph slow.

It's all the cons of a 125cc bike, but with none of the benefits like super light weight and super flickability.

Tbh Even a Ninja 250 would be a better bike to start on.

>inb4 hurr fairings mean fasts

No

Isn't the Honda Rebel a 250? You can get it as a starter bike if you want. Of course, buy it used/pre-owned as cheap as possible (no more than $1500).

But rest assured, despite whatever preconceived notions you have, you WILL upgrade it. The reality that a lot of autists don't want to admit to is that a 250 simply isn't the most practical option when it comes to a general purpose motorcycle.

There are much better options out there in the 500cc-800cc range that will prove to be better in the long run. You can get a cruiser or perhaps a naked/standard bike.

People get into motorcycle accidents because they are idiots. It has nothing to do with the bike. Go on Liveleak, you can see people on mopeds getting decapitated left and right in horrific crashes. You can fuck yourself up real good on any bike.

If safety is the utmost of importance to you, my official recommendation would be to get a motorcycle with an upright seating position (not a sport bike) and dual front rotors. I never understood why cruisers don't have dual front rotors. You always see idiots on YouTube crashing their Harleys because they had to emergency brake and then slammed on their rear brake and slid out.

>mfw I ride a naked, upright bike with dual front rotors that still scares the shit out of me
It's not the bike, it's the idiot nig slouched back on his phone that pulls out in front if you while you're doing 65mph.

>seriously recommending the antiquated underpowered Shitster when the Scout exists.

Found the retard.

Good, either a rebel or I save for an old, slow civic.

Tbh hitting 70 tops is enough for the city freeway, it's usually running at 30mph most hours I drive it. I'm not taking this cross country.

>getting a rebel.
well depends the new 2017 rebel also comes in a 500 version which puts out around 45 hp i think. Which is doable for a beginner and isn't as outright slow as the 250 rebel thats out now or the new 300 rebel which I assume is about the same performance as the cbr300r.

the rebel 250 that you can find on craigslist now, is super slow and if you're a big guy (bane?) it feels a little cramped.

By slow i mean, it has shit torque, and shit top speed. I has a hard time breaking 75, meaning its a little underpowered for the freeway and there isn't much power to pass cars or avoid them either.

In town they're decent bikes and are fairly indestructible.

>buying a brand new polaris that hasn't proven itself at all
LOL pls go fad jumper.

They have a 286 and a 471cc option for new bikes. The former is what most people think of when they think Honda rebel. Nice starter bike, but if you rode dirt bikes as a kid I'd move up to a 600cc. You can at least put on saddle bags at that point and do light grocery shopping. Any rider over 170lbs will not enjoy a rebel.

>Buying a cruiser
>Not a V-twin

see if you can pick up a kawasaki w400 OP.

bit more grunt, but nothing stupid and they're great looking bikes.

Dual front discs doesn't always equal good brakes.

Look at Hyosungs for instance.

Cruisers don't have dual front discs because they do the majority of their braking with the rear brake, not the front.

Hell, some cruiser riders remove the front brake system entirely.

Also, the majority of bikes with dual front discs aren't suitable first bikes, so don't use that as a reason to get one over ones with single brake discs.

It's not magically safer because single front brake discs aren't any less safe than dual setups. If anything it's the other way around, mainly due to the bike the brakes are attached to.

The main thing that makes brakes safe or unsafe is the rider and how he uses them. If you reef on the brakes hard enough and quick enough you'll lock the front wheel up and go tumbling down the road or flip the bike over (more so on powerful dual disc setups than single) so yeah.

>tl;Dr you have no idea what you're on about

A Kymco K-Pipe is what you are looking for.

I'm looking to get the rebel used and cheap, I'm a college student with limited income.

>Thing is, I want something underpowered that isn't basically a moped because I don't trust myself.
And your first choice is a cruiser?
>so I don't go doing 95mph on the freeway with it
Why worry? You don't have to drive fast on a motorcycle because everyone else does.

>ride safe and smart
But thats exactly what new riders dont do and why you shouldnt get a fast bike as your first one.

Who thought it was a good idea to call a bike the K-Pipe?

Well, obviously the folks at Kymco...

Wow those fenders look terrible.

But why, other companies call their bikes the ninja, or the rebel or the shadow. Why does this company think that anyone wants to proudly say he owns a K-Pipe?

This x1000. Indian Scout is best starter bike. Thinking of getting one but I don't have the endorsement or have driven a bike before. Pls halp.

I still read about bikes numbnuts. Thats like saying "u don't no if a fiesta is a good car cause u haven't drove it :^)"

i just went through this exact situation a few weeks ago. i chose a yamaha v star 250. i was considering the rebel but i had read from a few sources that its not always comfortable for average or larger sized men.

some people will recommend you just take a step up to a more powerful bike and skip the beginner bike entirely because youll get bored in like six months to a year. i couldnt tell you if thats the case yet but, worse case scenario, i can sell it next spring for equal to or greater than what i bough it for.

so far its a lot of fun. try to be more confident in your abilities as a driver or you wont really enjoy riding.

Doesn't own a bike/has never ridden

Has opinion on what is best starter bike.

Makes sense

See

>Indian Scout is best starter bike
>Never driven a bike
You don't drive bikes, and if you have no experience riding, them you wouldn't understand why a brand new or barely new 100hp Indian is a bad idea.

I know my downfalls.

Why not a Harley?

I have a shadow 600 and it's slow and easy to handle so it would be fine

Where can I find a relatively good condition low mileage Harley for under $1600?

8 8 3

>good
Get the 500 rebel OP. It's probably your best bet on a starter bike. Still slow, still underpowered, but still fun and can prove more useful on the freeway.

You suggest an 883cc bike for a fucking starter bike? Motorcycles aren't like cars, you can suggest something with out without some zip as a starter car. Someone could do just as well in a 350-400hp v6 or v8 as they would in a Crown Vic or Civic. Bikes are different, I've been riding for years but I still don't feel comfortable on and currently refuse to drive some kawasaki crotch rocket.

Don't get me wrong, 883s are alright, but if you're a broke ass college student looking for a cheap means of transportation just so you aren't riding the bus everywhere, a Rebel 500 is actually a nice bike.

>I've been riding for years but I still don't feel comfortable on and currently refuse to drive some kawasaki crotch rocket.
End yourself.

lol you're an idiot

Revel 500 would be alright if you could scruffily find them, they're rare as fuck. Used 90s 883 aren't worth dick but they're pretty stout bikes. Better on a budget of 2500 though.

I stand by the statement that the shadow 600 or 750 is a much better first bike

lol you're an idiot

That's the point, though. Its better for society if those who think its smart to drive donorcycles die quickly.

>I've been riding for years but I still don't feel comfortable on and currently refuse to drive some kawasaki crotch rocket.

No offense but this is probably why your perception of this matter is so twisted. I have ridden an 883 before and the throttle response/acceleration is very similar to what you would expect from a Ninja 250. Those 883s are pathetically slow. Even the 1200. Ride a R1 for a few months and see how you feel

Sorry that you're a faggot who lacks self control

I could stand up my nephew's rebel if it fell. It's a really lightweight little bike.

It's not a motorcycle for enthusiasts, it's like posting on here wanting a fiat qubo when more powerful, similarly priced options are available and still safe to operate. However, if you want an underpowered machine that you used to get passed the motorcycle safety course, the Honda Rebel is still a powerful enough bike to take main streets and congested freeways no problem. Highway riding and faster freeway traffic I'd stay in the right lane and try to keep from getting bullied off the road by angry drivers. If you sit comfortably, weighting about 160lbs, you can expect an old rebel 250 to max out at around 65 mph. You'll be slugging behind smart cars.

On the bright side, it gets nice mileage and is great for a poor, under 25 college student to both insure and maintain.

It's almost like everyone posting in this thread didn't even bother to read the OP's post. He said he wants a cheap scooter, but not a scooter. That means we're talking about bikes like the Honda Grom, Sym Wolf, Kymco K-Pipe, SSR Razkull, etc.

I'd say a yamaha sr400 or similar then. Cheap, still very easy to control, tops out at respectable freeway speed, and comfortable.

Seems nice, but it's still 2-3 times as expensive as any of the bikes I listed. However a Suzuki TU250 might be an option.

>I want something that maxes out at barely legal highway limits
>and is impossible for me to be a moron on.
i cant help you not be a moron but get yourself a Grom or a scooter the max they go are 60mph.

a rebel is slow though max is 80mph

Even used? I got they came used under 3 grand in good condition low mileage.

I don't think they started selling them outside Japan until 2014. A $6k bike doesn't depreciate that fast.

There are two 2015 models on my local Craigslist. Both are asking around $5k.

Around here in Norcal, both 250 Rebels and Nighthawks are surprisingly expensive and hold their values. They're not the the cheap choice.

get an SV650

your fear of riding a motorcycle will pass in ~1 month, and after that you will regret getting such a shitty underpowered bike

honestly the people who get ninja 250s are retards, that bike is something that 14 year olds can handle.

stay away from inline 4 supersports of any year, stick to v-twin if you want easy powerband that wont kill you when you sneeze, and you will be fine no matter the bike

to recap:
500-750cc
vtwin (standards/cruisers) or 1cyl (supermoto)

example bikes:
sv650, the absolute best beginner bike bar none
dr400/drz400 if you like being able to go offroad at all

>wants to buy pigfat underpowered money pit that is a rebel
wew

ninja2shitties and rebels are the ultimate noob trap, you outgrow them by the time you hand over the money