So cylinder deactivation temporarily turns a eight or six cylinder engine into a four or two cylinder engine, right...

So cylinder deactivation temporarily turns a eight or six cylinder engine into a four or two cylinder engine, right? It lowers power but lowers fuel consumption in order to improve efficiency - but I'm wondering how efficient it actually is. The deactivated cylinders are still there, right? they still add weight to the car and reduce its efficiency even on 2 cylinder mode.

why hasn't anyone developed it further and deactivated the weight too? so the car temporarily weighs less when the cylinders are deactivated and it can actually get 4-cylinder or 2-cylinder efficiency when the car doesn't need all its power? then when you reactivate the cylinders when accelerating you can just add the weight back on

....how exactly do you propose to deactivate weight?

They just make it not weight anything

I almost reacted.
Top bait OP.

i'm not an engineer, i don't know the specifics, but it would be a good idea, right?

OP's shitty bait aside, I had an idea for an I4 that has two gasoline cylinders, and two running on compressed air. The compressed air ones would be used for acceleration and would run in reverse while cruising or idling to charge the air tank.

The idea would be to reduce fuel consumption, but the more obvious choice for that would be just a small generator powering an electrically driven car.

How do you propose to reactivate the weight?

I think he might mean disconnect the deactivated pistons from the rotating assembly?

2-piece crankshaft with an electromagnetic coupling?

How about momentary geostasis?

You're actually on to something there, though I bet the timing would be hard to get for that

almond oil

His is unironically what tesla was trying to tell us about. Extremely underrated

Too complicated and expensive for the minuscule return

Makes sense

bent rods, windowed blocks, and pistons launched into heads all right on startup. thats some real italian tier engineering

There's been research on it, essentially multi-piece crank shafts.

As said though, it's just too expensive for little return. With the advent of electric cars and alternative fuels, it's not really worth putting in 10 years of research to get better gas mileage.

>it's not really worth putting in 10 years of research to get better gas mileage
that's why Nissan spent 8 years on developing variable compression engine?

whole world using BEVs is cool idea, but achievable only in press releases

Nissan probably isn't a very good example of a company doing things right.

god tier bait

lel this

the GTR smokes pretty much every other production car

And it feels like total ass to drive

>So cylinder deactivation temporarily turns a eight or six cylinder engine into a four or THREE[sic,ed] cylinder engine

In a colloquial sense you are correct. In the absolute sense no. There are still 8 or 6 cylinders, so it is not exactly performing like a dedicated 4 or 3 cylinder engine. Cylinder deactivation lets cylinders in appropriate thrust positions on the crankshaft take turns to prevent uneven wear while the other cylinder is temporarily deactivated (no fuel).

All cylinders are used when accelerating or heavy load is sensed by the computer. Once up to cruising speed, provided the load is not heavy, there is no need to have all the cylinders firing in their overlapping power strokes onto the crank. One might argue that halving the active cylinders makes for choppy vibration, that isn't the case as long as the speed is constant.

So, it's not quite the same as a 4 or 3 cylinder engine, but if cylinder deactivation does occur, the MPG is certainly increased.

Since the valves for deactivated cylinders continue to work, it is indeterminate if the unburned oily vapors from PCV will build up in the cylinder chamber to cause carbon deposits.

>Since the valves for deactivated cylinders continue to work, it is indeterminate if the unburned oily vapors from PCV will build up in the cylinder chamber to cause carbon deposits.
I mean they'll burn off the next time the cylinder combusts so it's not like they have time to build up

What about the Corvette C7? I heard its two seconds faster on average AND is half the price.

If it worked that way Honda wouldn't have to put rings in almost every V6 with variable cylinder management every 60,000 miles.

There's no two cylinder mode?

Think about it. That's too much imbalance just like one cylinder mode.

Fucking 10/10

No really, this was good.

OP's point of view is about modular engines designed so that extra cylinders can be bolted on or removed. But it's not practical for ICE because pistons have set positions on the crankshaft based upon the expected number of pistons for that engine.

It'd be slightly more efficient than if it was using all the cylinders all the time. That's really all there is too it.

It's not gonna work in all applications, but idling/low rpm, you just use as many cylinders as you need. You shouldn't be using any more fuel to compensate for the deactivated cylinders, otherwise there'd be no point at all.

making one fast car car doesn't mean the overall strategy of a company is financially sound.

what if we just made the other deactivated cylinders power a big fan under the car to reduce its weight?
then we can deactivate the cylinders and a heavy v8 can be a light 4 cylinder

It's about mass, not gravitation.

yeah if you push the car upwards it weighs less

But the car will still have the same mass, and less traction.

well it would take a lot more work to set up but what about 9 fans pushing in all directions so the car can basically levitate obviously turning off the fan in front if you are going forward

>tfw no rotor deactivation

>filename
Rotor-chan is cute! CUTE!

>what if we just made the other deactivated cylinders power a big fan under the car to reduce its weight?
Ignoring that you cannot get intake air to that fan from the roof of the car, the air will cause a hydroplaning effect if the car is moving forward at any good speed. That is bad.

Another effect is that road debris is shoved out from under the car with great force. It will hit other pedestrians and cars as your car passes by. That is bad.

On a rainy day, it will shove the rain out in a mist and cause lowered visibility for other cars. That is bad.

If there is a puddle on the road, it will throw that puddle onto Taylor Swift as she is walking to brunch with Kanye West. You don't want to spoil her good time, right?

what if we attach another fan closer to the back which pulls the car to the ground? surely this will reduce the hydroplaning effect, plus it can dry off Taylor Swift's distasteful garments after they've been soaked

name one good car nissan makes right now that isnt the GTR

the 370z

My shitty 90's civic switches between 8v and 16v depending on load.

So that means whatever load you added to the car (audio gear) is too much for the existing alternator and the car's wiring to handle.

Yes exactly.

That would throw the whole balance of the engine off. Would be absolutely terrible for the engine.

>civic switches between 8v and 16v depending on load.

You should use fewer speakers. With such a heavy load, it makes me wonder when you'll finally overheat your alternator and need a replacement.

>when you reactivate the cylinders when accelerating
Just get out and bolt on some extra cylinders before you hit the loud pedal? clearly that's not what OP intended.

I kinda understand what you're asking, have a clutch between each cylinder to add power and torque independently. The problem is that you now have cylinders not timed to each other, messing with balancing and vibration of the motor, which isn't something you can change on the fly very well. On top of that, you've doubled your support systems, requiring separate valve trains for each cylinder, while also messing your intake and exhaust design tune.

Much easier to just run with the extra spinning weight and pumping losses.

Gm cuts fuel to a bunch, calls it instand econ when the motors not under duress

It's a proven method that came from Europe.

Put me in the screencap

Really?

cant tell if bait or if OP is actually onto something. 10/10

Overloaded alternators can burn out you know.

What's your point?

Road debris is a huge problem for your fans. Your fans will have grille mesh, but that will be clogged up with trash and thus impact your air flow.

Don't forget the world is inhabited by people who throw trash and diapers out their car windows. At one time, my company had participated in the "adopt a highway" program and I was one of the volunteers from my company to pick up the trash on our assigned section. While most of the trash is fast food (bags, cups, wrappers, pizza boxes, plastic boxes, styro), there were also plastic bags, diapers, aluminum cans, beer cans (people do drink cheap beer on the road), beer bottles (people like drinking better beers while driving), misc bottles, a lot of broken glass bottles (damn, those people suck for tossing these), garbage bags filled with trash, and even broken household items.

Remarkably, where are the fabled syringes? We had been given the scarey lecture of not getting poked by a syringe, but there were none on the road. I thought people threw used syringes on the road, but maybe the ones able to afford cars stopped as a result of the rumor the gov't homeland security database was collecting syringes to analyze the dna to see who was secretly using drugs. The homeless still toss syringes but that's in the city.

>why hasn't anyone developed it further and deactivated the weight too?

You worded that wrong. You meant to say decouple the inertia and friction of the deactivated cylinders so that the ones that are working deliver even more of their power to the drive train.

Let's say such magic exists to decouple.

The car manufacturers will not do it. The car enthusiasts will also be against it. That's because cylinder deactivation is basically cylinders skipping a turn as opposed to being 100% idle. By skipping turns, each cylinder gets used so there is even wear on all the cylinders.

also, flinging unloaded pistons or decoupling a rod will unbalance the engine, unless you could decouple the portions of the crank itself. In GM-based solutions, the lifters prevent valves from opening when shut off which allows the trapped air in the cylinder to act as a spring and reduce stress on mains, among other benefits.

VALVE
NOT VOLT
YOU FUCKING IDIOTS

NO CAR RUNS ON 8 OR 16 VOLTS
IT SWITCHES FROM 8 VALVE TO 16 VALVE FFS