Manual VS Automatic

What is the advantage of driving a manual over an automatic? And vice versa? Are there situations in which automatics are preferable? What are the situations in which manuals are preferable?

>please keep the autistic memes to a dull roar

Manual advantage : Brag about being a faggot.
Automatic advantage : I can finger your mom while I drive

>this thread is bait

4x4'ing is kind of a lot easier with a automatic, You have better control of the throttle and brakes when you don't have to worry about a 3rd pedal. inb4 git gud.

A lot of newer semi tractors are going automatic so that should tell you something.

Manual Transmission Failure: $700 fix
Auto Transmission Failure: $3000 replacement

Not trying to bait. I always see everyone talking about driving manual on Veeky Forums, but I've never known of a reason to use it over automatic. I feel like I'm missing something.

Two 8s! dubs of truth!

manuals are funner, you can rev bomb people

manuals are cheaper to build which is why they're still common in shitty 3rd world european countries, but eventually theyll be phased out completely because automatics are simply better.

its basically impossible for a human to defeat a robot in terms of knowing shift timings, and automatics have already gone far beyond that

Uh no. I could replace my trans for 600 easy

Manual: requires skill, theoretically better mpgs, objectively better car control as you can judge road conditions and the tranny can't, except when you have no skill
Auto: car had a mind of its own

STOP MAKING THESE THREADS AND STOP REPLYING TO THEM

The only reason I drive a manual anymore is because the make and model of my fun car only came in a manual. Otherwise I've honestly got tired of driving manuals for the last 15 years.

Auto=yeah for a daily I guess
Manual=you just feel so much more in tune with the car.
It's like letting your girlfriend finger herself or fucking her on the couch.

Manual: you're manually changing gears. The disadvantage is you must be significantly more conscious and involved in the operation of the vehicle. The advantage is you directly control your driving experience, as opposed to...

Automatic: your car is changing gears for you, trying to shift gears smoothly and economically. The advantage is you significantly less work on your end to drive and maintain the car. The disadvantage is the car doesn't really "know" what gear would be best to be in, only the best gear for it to be in at the time based on the input it's getting. So if you're dumb enough to drive in snow/ice conditions without being aware of low/2nd gear on the shifter and just having your car in D...yeah.

I honestly think the only time auto vs. manual matters is when buying a car, and when racing them.

>theoretically better mpgs
No.
>objectively better car control as you can judge road conditions and the tranny can't, except when you have no skill
I can pick which gear I am in with a DSG, the only thing manuals have is price.
Stop being so poor.

In a semi, you'll actually shift into the gear the first time, and won't have to deal with the computer shitting itself making turns or leaving parking lots with a manual.

Thank you for the wonderful explanation, helpful user!

But you can't rock back and forth like in a manual to get out.

Not really, it's usually 1400 to redo a manual and 2100 for auto.

The best is an automatic with either a "sport" shift mode or paddle shifters. It's convenient when you want it to be convenient, and sporty when you want it to be sporty. And no clutch to mess with.

>stick fondlers will still deny this

You do know there are literally thousands of shops that can build autos/repair autos. It cost almost the same as most manuals.

auto for city miles, manual for fun backroads

the end.

Because back in the 80's/90's the lowest level cars had manual. Poor people fill Veeky Forums (have for YEARS). They have to justify their shitty cars anyway they can. Don't get me wrong, autos sucked dicks for a long time. But any modern auto is MUCH better than a manual.

Common bullshit excuses you hear from people who daily drive back and forth to community college in sub $5k shit boxes
>muhhh feel
>muhh soul
>muhhh skidz

This. Any automatic car worth owning these days has selective gears up to red line anyways. Every benefit you can have from a manual is in any decent automatic.

The only difference is whether or not you enjoy rowing gears. It's fun to downshift and blast your exhaust note, but that's about the only benefit.

In any racing application, modern auto transmissions will rape manuals.

Me personally, I drive automatics because I have a bad knee. It hurts to work a clutch in traffic, so I can't go back. As much as I enjoy driving them in short jaunts or on the highway, I just can't bear to actually have one as a daily driver anymore.

Auto cause Im lazy, and I drive in alot of city traffic.

Manuals are...eh, Fine.

Auto's shift from D to R faster than a manual. On a slope auto's still roll back like a manual.

Autos are much more expensive than that. And you can't ignore the fact that you can drive a car with a broken manual, whereas an automatic is useless even if it's just slipping.

>he's never had a car stuck in 2nd or lost a gear and had to get creative

Fuck convenience. If you've ever learned to drive standard and you went back to auto, then you must be crazy or old.

A major benefit of manuals is being able to feel the road through the gearbox. No, your automated clutch gearbox doesn't count. Without that shift linkage and third pedal you're almost as isolated as having a torque converter.

Convenient. When the fuck would you need extra convenience in a car? I'll tell you when. You're going to be eating or texting or getting road head. That's IT. And you can still do those things in a manual.

it's easier to do dank skidz and drifts in a manual.

>bad knee
drove manual with a messed up knee(it was temporary) kinda depressing.

>Muh feel argument

It's important as fuck. Especially if you're trying to tell me that automatics are better for sports cars. What the fuck are you doing in a sports car if you don't like driving?

>what is traffic

Positive
Its funner
You can select what gear to use
Negative
Its harder to eat while driving

God forbid you move BOTH your legs a tiny bit when stuck in traffic.

This. Crawling over rocks in a manual is terrible.

>its basically impossible for a human to defeat a robot in terms of knowing shift timings, and automatics have already gone far beyond that
>In any racing application, modern auto transmissions will rape manuals.
Lolwut. No.

Modern automatics can shift gears faster than any human, and modern autos will consistently win against manuals in straight-line races for that reason. However, autos still can't look ahead. Where a race driver will know to downshift into a corner, even the best autos will only know to shift as the car decelerates.

Plus, the state of the art isn't even relevant if we're discussing the old shitheaps that most of Veeky Forums drives. That 1998 Corolla that's tolerable with a stick shift will bore you to tears with the automagic slushbox.

For modern road cars, there are 4 major options, not 2- and it's really irritating that Veeky Forums wants to call 3 of them "automatic" and lump their disparate advantages together as if they're the same fucking thing.

Dual-clutch systems promise the best of both worlds- instant shifting with optional manual gear selection (paddles). My guess is that DCT will become the sole option in performance vehicles (unless there's a major breakthrough with CVT or something), and the difference between "manual" and "automatic" will be a driving mode.

Some people really do love that third pedal... I don't mind using it, even in my DD, but I don't think I'll miss it if I can still control what gear the car is in.

It's not that third pedal that's all that is missing with a DCT. You miss the direct connection with the road, and you miss having actual control over the throttle-though that's a moot point because modern cars use shitty drive by wire anyway.

how much of an incline are we talking here? i've driven a number of autos and none of them rolled back on any of the inclines around here.

btw saying 'slope' is illegal because jeremy clarkson.

>My guess is that DCT will become the sole option in performance vehicles
but I thought it already was? At least on rally driving.

how else can you have separate feet on the brakes and gas otherwise

>5th gear going 30 mph

lmao looks like Cruze dash

Manual: good for underpowered cars, and when you want more control. Better gas mileage, and it forces you to pay attention to your driving.

Auto: better for commuters. Much better in stop and go traffic.

LOL shift denied? the fuck is this shit`?

I'll just leave this here

>Don't have to worry about a 3rd pedal

This. I'm already worrying about trying not to flip over, and trying not to crack my oil pan, or fuck up my axle. Automatic is so much easier.

>STOP REPLYING TO THEM
>replies to it

I'd say learn the rules of the road in an automatic, and then if you want learn how to drive a manual.

I like both, and drive both. I alternate daily drivers between my automatic buick, and my 5-speed s10.

If the S10 had proper cup holders, I wouldn't have anything to bitch about, but it doesn't. So, managing fast food drinks/morning coffee is a hassle, and that's it.

On the contrary, in a lot of situations, I'd prefer the manual, I.E. If my battery died because of some freak occurance, I like being able to roll start the manual.