Manual Transmissions

How easy it is to drive a manual?

I don't have any friends(with manual cars) also if I had friends with manual cars, they wouldn't let me destroy their clutch.

What are some good beginner manual trans car that are very reliable?

On a scale of 10 how much do you recommend driving manual, and why?

it's easy enough. just watch a few youtube videos, buy one and be off on your way. Having someone teach you helps.

For econobox to commute with doesn't matter, for a "fun" car manual always

It is extremely easy to drive a manual. Eventually it will become such second nature that you don't even realize you are doing it. Making it as easy as an automatic. (That being said, anyone that's says manual takes more skill is full of shit)

It is a lost art in a way. I would compare it to learning calligraphy. It looks cool (opinion obviously) and people want others to believe it is superior so they themselves don't feel like shit, but realistically, both will get the message across.

Pretty easy even yuropoors with sub 100hp turbo shitbox can do it.
For daily drivability it just depend on how hard the clutch is and traffic.

>(That being said, anyone that's says manual takes more skill is full of shit)

Except it does. It's a skill in itself, and one that can be sharpened, like rev matching, heel-toe, clutch preservation, etc. I'm not saying it's complex but definitely not as easy as an auto, second nature or not.

I guess that would depend on how that individual defines the work "skill". Yes, their is a difference between a beginner and someone more adept at it, but I personally don't define that as a skill.

For example, if someone asked me what are some skills I possess, driving manual transmission vehicles would never come to mind.

lmao

what arbitrary definition of 'skill' are you using?

are you retarded

Works have meaning, don't go around shaping things to your understanding. Skill is "the ability to do something well; expertise". Can you really work your shifting skills on an automatic? No.

words* fug

It was kinda shaky when I started but once you get the hang of where the clutch bites then it's extremely easy.

My apologies, I am typing on a new phone that has yet to adapt to my texting patterns and will sometimes auto correct words I spell correctly into other similarly spelled words.

To answer your question though, yes, you can manually shift with modern automatics. It is often referred to as paddle shifting also many brands allow you to shift with the gear selector also.

I personally consider an ability that is noteworthy or difficult to be called a skill. Driving a manual is neither. So I do not consider it a skill.

your friends are retarded, you're not going to destroy a clutch unless you're towing a house with a fiesta
just get a civic and shut the fuck up
1/10 why the fuck should anyone care

watch all the youtube vids, you'll have it down in 2 weeks easy

Now I want to see this happen.

Apparently I am. However, I still wouldn't put "drives manual transmission vehicles" under the skills section of a professional resume.

Sequential shifting is so easy you could train a monkey to do it for you.

Ability means ability. Skill means proficiency. Words hold meaning.

>I personally consider an ability that is noteworthy or difficult to be called a skill

Being able to write in cursive is easy, but it's a skill. Being able to proficiently use a kitchen knife to cut various things is fairly simple. But it's a skill. Being able to juggle to straightforward, but it's a skill

To this OP, and to the other 5 threads that get started every.fucking.day about this:

It's not that hard, quit fucking stressing about it. Just get your car out to a big parking lot somewhere, either by stick driving friend or by tow, and fucking practice. You WILL kill it the first few times. You WILL be jerky the first few days. Then you'll get the hang of it and poof, you're one of the elite.

Seriously mods there should be a fucking sticky for this topic.

Manual transmission are the superior transmission for an engine, offering far more reliability. If the car cuts off on you while driving (due to say an engine issue) you can just pop the clutch. Starter won't start the car? Get it rolling and pop the clutch.

Can slap it in neutral and let the car just slow down via wind resistance to a stop light saving brakes. etc

Actually, it does. On weak cars manual offers an advantage because a driver can predict the situation better and have a higher power reserve. Having the engine on higher RPMs for a few seconds won't hurt it, but waiting for an automatic to shift two gears down might kill ya.

Sitting on your ass watching basketball and playing it are the same thing, right?

Three months in my first manual, 2010 SS Camaro. Absolutely love it. You'll get used to it quick, just watch YouTube videos on other people doing it and learn. Learn the do's and don'ts, and the biggest thing, practice. Just get out there and drive. You'll stall, you'll be nervous, but you'll get it. It's extremely fun. 10/10.

>How easy it is to drive a manual?
easy

Step 0(Empty space)
>Find an empty parking lot or somewhere with lots of space for you to fuck around
>Even better if it has a flat section and a slight hill somewhere
>Find spectators so they can laugh as you fail to do the next steps

Step1 (Learn bite point)
>let out clutch slowly till car starts to creep forward
>Get car moving on flat surface without using throttle
>Do this without stalling out

Step 2 (Throttle control)
>Now that you know where clutch grabs
>Same as step one but use throttle this time
>Slowly add throttle as you are letting clutch out (how much throttle depends car to car)
>Repeat until you can go from stopped to moving without being jerky as fuck

Step 3 (Hill Starts)
>Learn to do step 2 while on an incline without rolling backwards
>This is pretty much the same as step 2 but you will roll backwards if you are not fast enough
>add throttle while getting to bite point quickly

(Bitchmode Hillstarts)
>Usehandbrake to prevent rolling backwards
>Same as step 3

Step 4 (Downshifting)
>Learn what the RPM difference between gears
>Learn to blip throttle for desired RPM
>Match RPM with gear you want
>Go down 1 gear (5th-4th/4th-3rd)
>I'm almost a racecar driver mode down 2 gears on one blip
>Practice till you can do this not jerky as fuck

Step 5(Pracetice Practice Practice)
>Go drive
>Go drive more
>Keep doing all these things till you can do them without thinking about it

Step 6 (I'm fucking Dagumi now)
>Now that you can drive and are not jerky as fuck
>Heel Toe Dopwnshift
>Same as step 4
>Left half of ball of foot on brake
>While pushing brake either roll side of foot to blip throttle or twist and use heel to blip throttle (depends on car and pedal distance/setup) do whatever works for you there isnt a right way to do it
>Get the gear you want
>you now down a gear/slowed down and ready to go WOT out of the turn.
>foot off brake and onto throttle

STOP MAKING AND REPLYING TO THESE THREADS

How easy it is to drive a manual?
>easy to learn hard to master

What are some good beginner manual trans car that are very reliable?
>a car that you want in manual

On a scale of 10 how much do you recommend driving manual, and why?
>11/10 cause manual is more fun and gives you more control over the car.

driving manual isn't some super sekrit club fucking just do it

You're not going to destroy the clutch unless the clutch is already pretty much toast or you're functionally retarded. Probably won't even burn the clutch if you don't rev to the moon while slipping the shit out of it. You'll stall tons, and it will be frustrating, but you get the hang of it. Everybody does. Just buy a cheap manual and force yourself to learn.

there is no point. especially not in the US.

Kys OP