Cro-magnons

Were there any notable differences between the early European modern humans and modern modern humans?

I tried to ask Veeky Forums but they ignored me.

Other urls found in this thread:

ghr.nlm.nih.gov/primer/traits/intelligence
study.com/academy/lesson/henry-goddard-eugenicist-inheritability-intelligence-quiz.html
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

sci is more or less the worst board to ask about genetics. they're literal idiots when it comes to the field

there are plenty of differences, most of them are along the lines of what you might expect from a premodern hominid. but your question is sufficiently broad that it makes me think you're 12.

I'm pretty ignorant on the entire evolution thing, I went to a Private Christian high school. Evolution was a no-no. So the broadness in my question, that you said indicated a level of knowledge reminiscent of a twelve year old, I do not deny as that is about the level of education I have in historical science.

If I sound pretentious it's because, as stated before, I went to a Christian high school.

I read the wiki though, in summary I read that they were early modern humans.

Honestly, I don't know how to ask my question in a specific way.

Did they have a lower IQ?

Were they dumb or were they nearly indistinguishable in brain power/size?
(I know Neanderthals had bigger brains than humans, so I don't know if that correlates with intelligence or not.)

ah, my apologies. I'm just used to shitposters.

if that's the case, background would probably be more useful for you, so you can choose what reading you want to do more carefully

there are some broad camps
1. leftists: they believe in evolution, but they believe that humans stopped evolving 100k years ago (when blacks and whites diverged as a race) except they believe that evolution for skin color, skull shape, organs, teeth, etc, continued, so they actually believe evolution stopped specifically at the brain, specifically 100k years ago. oh, also, everyone is completely, genetically, equal.

I think you can probably see the problem with this

2. christians.

3. "nazis" who believe that evolution never stopped, and genetics probably make up a large amount of differences even between people of the same race, today.

do you know anything about evolution at all? such as "survival of the fittest" leading to slow genetic change?

given the above, it's almost impossible not to conclude that cro-magnons were signifcantly less intelligent. they had smaller brains, and their skeletons resemble something partially between apes and humans.

this is where leftist understanding begins to break down, because they don't understand neurology, either.

to answer your q, brain size is VERY correlated with intelligence, but not perfectly. genes that control neuron function make a very strong difference as well.

Ironically the only person who taught me the basics of evolution was my bible teacher (a really smart guy). I've read some articles and what not.

I know about natural selection and survival of the fittest.

Given that Neanderthals had bigger brains, were they more or less intelligent than homo sapien sapiens?

I know recent findings indicate that Neanderthals had some ability to speak. If what I've been reading is correct, at least.

that guy looks native american desu

>but they believe that humans stopped evolving 100k years ago (when blacks and whites diverged as a race)
really? the divergence was that long ago? i thought we came out of africa about 30,000 years ago up into europe and asia...

all nonblack races have neanderthal genes of up to 3-4%.

we don't know if neanderthals were smarter than (unadmixed) sapien sapiens.

we have clues that they were smarter in some ways, and dumber in others. there is significant evidence that the neolithis explosion, in which neanderthals mixed with sapiens, made sapiens brains larger, and thus, made them more intelligent. we also have evidence that the neanderthal nda we have is related to genes for hgh mathematical ability.

however, sapiens sapiens from 10k, and 50k and 100k years ago were also almost certainly not as smart as modern humans. humans from 100k years ago probably did not have more than 60 iq points on average.

No. Cro Magnons were modern humans in every biological sense, and all the variety usually attributed to them can easily be found in modern populations as well. It wasn't even a term originally used to refer to a separate sub-species, just modern humans from a specific time and place.

In general, the term is usually considered outdated and most paleoanthropologists today don't really use it.

evidence is mixed. autosomal dna evidence improves significantly every year.

keep in mind though, that we split INSIDE of africa a good deal before we left africa.

modern africans are the result of an event called the bantu expansion, in which africans that you thnk of as africans, spread throughout africa and genocided all of the other peoples south of the sahara, ending somewhere around the deserts in namibia, whic hwere impassable.

before the bantu expansion, african populations lacked the ability to cross rivers, for example.

we were probably separated from the populations which would become the bantu for a good 30k years before we even left africa.

the neanderthal admixture event happened about 70k years ago. you could say we diverged from blacks at that point, because we might not have been phenotypically different yet (it's hard to say.) but at that point we'd already developed separate haplotype markers.

in a purely genetic sense, the divergence happened around 100k years ago

>humans from 100k years ago probably did not have more than 60 iq points on average.

That's really not the best way to think about human intelligence. IQ tests were designed to test a specific set of cognitive functions that are mostly encountered by people in industrialized societies (which is why IQ test have gone up with increased access to technology). In the early twentieth century, lots of farmers and manual laborers who immigrated from Europe were considered retarded due to poor IQ test scores that were the result of their lack of familiarity with industrial society.

Humans from 100,000 years ago were biologically identical to us and would have had the exact same capacity for intelligence. If you plopped one into a modern society, yeah, they'd fail, because its' not what they're used to. If you raised one in modern society, they'd do fine. It's all about what they're exposed to and what their brains develop to handle.

true, it's outdated, because we have autosomal dna evidence now, and we don't need to classify based on phylogenic trees

that said it's generally accepted that cro-magnons were replaced (mostly violently) with proto-european farmers, who were then replaced with r1b europeans by sex.

calling them modern is really just a political battle. they were probably 70 iq cannibals. if they weren't we probably would have had more sex with them lke with neanderthals.

Europeans from about 35000 years ago start to have important affinity with modern Europeans, especially northern Europeans who kept more of the mesolithic European affinities, even if they also got important contributions from near east related folks, even though the near easterness of these people is often exaggerated i.e neolithic Anatolians depending on how you model things were still about half or more related to European foragers likely from the Balkan ice age refuge, and those further mixed with local folks as they moved west and north.

Moreover, the migration of steppe folks associated with the spread of aryan languages also seemingly brought important Siberian contribution to the European gene pool that was otherwise fairly absent at least in mainland west Europe.

>given the above, it's almost impossible not to conclude that cro-magnons were signifcantly less intelligent. they had smaller brains, and their skeletons resemble something partially between apes and humans.

kek

This is your authority on early modern man speaking. GL OP (this guy is a dumbass)

u wot

intelligence is inherently genetic, buddy. genetic capacity for iq and height continues to increase even if you starve and beat people.

if you starve a litter of puppies, they'll grow up small, but I guarantee you the biggest of them will have larger babies than the smallest of a starved litter.

premodern man was NOT anywhere near as intelligent as us in capacity. you're telling yourself a pleasant lie.

if you have a theory
1. everything is EXACTLY THE SAME. EXACTLY. COMPLETELY FUCKING UNIFORM
and 2. everything is different. we don't know HOW different, but we do know it's different, and that those small differences can add up into smething larger

then the burden of proof on claim 1, which is your claim, is fucking astronomical

Semi related question: What is the difference between Humans and Denisovans / Neanderthals and Denisovans?

In other words: What are Denisovans?

im pretty interested in the red deer cave people but i cant find much info on them

denisovans were a type of premodern man. we don't have more than a few teeth, but they were likely HIGHLY divergent from other hominids.

modern south east asians have extremely minor amounts of admixture

ones more of a cancerous virus upon the land than the other

live in harmony and all that georgia guidestones bis

>intelligence is inherently genetic,

No, it isn't. A lot of things contribute to intelligence. Genetics is one of them, but there's no proof it's even the main contributor.

ghr.nlm.nih.gov/primer/traits/intelligence

Seriously, nothing I wrote was "astronomically" unprovable. It's the mainstream view in science right now. Here's even a source for my claims about intelligence testing on immigrants (it's a page about the guy who did the tests - a eugenicist - but you can do more research if you want): study.com/academy/lesson/henry-goddard-eugenicist-inheritability-intelligence-quiz.html

There are more places to learn about intelligence testing and development than /pol/. IQ tests have been under fire for a long time and many psychologists view them as having limited use at best. And even beyond them, the more research that goes into intelligence development shows how complicated it is. Genetics are only a very small part according to the scientists who actually study this stuff.

Were they intelligent? What was the difference in their evolution from ours?

The fingerbone that was found to belong to a denisovan was t h i c c, and thought to have belonged to a male, but surprisingly belonged to a juvenile female, indicating that they may have been robust like neanderthals.

so you're telling me that there are a variety of genes out there, and in all that variety, somehow, those genes manage to either DO NOTHING, or DO the thing EXACTLY THE SAME NO MATTER WHAT CONFIGURATION THEY'RE IN.

you're telling me that genes play no role in the formation of intelligent life

OR

that completely different sets of building blocks, in a variety of arrangements, ALL COME TO THE EXACT SAME RESULT

wew
lad

no clue. we've only found teeth. teeth aren't nearly enough to know.

>neolith
>neanderthal
Wat

Oh please, everyone knows Lucy was a hexapod.

>we don't know if neanderthals were smarter than (unadmixed) sapien sapiens.

Definitely less.

I"m not telling you anything that any geneticist or biological anthropologist wouldn't tell you. Seriously, stop acting like I'm making ridiculous claims. I'm not, this is basic, commonly accepted science at this point. Genetics play some role, but it's one of many factors that play a role, and depending on cases, it may play a small one; intelligence (as in IQ) also isn't the best way to understand overall cognitive function. I provided the most mainstream source possible, and there are tons of other ones out there. Stop getting your information from /pol/, there's a wide world of actual science out there.

Where did I ever bring up Neanderthals? Cro-Magnons weren't Neanderthals, they were biologically modern humans.