and shit gearboxes
and shit engine
and shit engine note
and fucking horrible to work on

gee i wonder

They can't afford them

I would get an older one like a 98.

i could afford it and yet i think it's shit

I like em, but only the older 2000 era 2.5rs and the 2004-2005 wrx/sti without the stupid wing and crap all over it

This

They're extremely ugly.

As with most hatebases on Veeky Forums it's a vocal minority of busriders.

>sounds shit
>closely associated with vaping dudebro faggots
>reliability issues (though these could be due to aforementioned dudebro faggots just revving the piss out of theirs at every opportunity)

They know nothing about cars, it's a fucking godtier rally car

Well, I COULD. A used WRX would be cheaper than my new Focus ST (and likely a bit faster). Thing is, it'd be horribly modded, treated like shit, and hilariously overpriced for how much it's actually worth. The Subaru used market is a joke.

Also the insurance on them is terrible.

This.

Rode in one.

Dude had over 60k in it on top of the car itself. Single kid. Some sort of engineer. Hin and a few classmates started a small manufacturing company and it did well. They hired like 12 guys to run it and the 5 owners retired on 400k a year. They must be making gold plated 4 ton bricks or its a cover. I didnt ask. Rather not know

I like them
I don't want one tho.

I like blobeyes, but Evos are strictly better.

No. But the transmissions are shit which is my only gripe with them. They may as well be made of glass with how often the break.

Meme tax on the same level as Evos when they aren't even in the same class.
It's not just STi's

>that style of writing
>new focus st
>hates used subarus and many mods

Sebastian?

Owners that have circlejerked themselves into believing mods add value (also a problem withevos)

I hate all diverse colors and designs equally, including GM

What is this meme tax you americans are constantly talking about?

Pigfat
Understeering
Glass transmissions

Nobody who owns a WRX does nothing with it other than drive it around their high school hometown they've never moved out of

>used market a joke

It's uh not a joke though, supply and demand. People want Subaru's so they retain value. It's a smart purchase.

Beat on transmission and you'll get problems.

They're retaining too much value, that's the problem. 12 year old cars don't usually go for 18 thousand with an original engine, but when they do, at Subaru.

You wanna buy a fifteen year old car that barely shits out 225hp with ten mods is questionable quality as to both build and installation in a car that's been absolutely thrashed because people believe them to be "rally" cars and thus up to the punishment that has had I've engine rebuild, 160k miles on the current one for 10k?

Oh and visible rust.

>Retain too much value

Such a thing does not exist. If they were shit cars they wouldn't retain value. The only 12 year old Subaru that would touch 18k would be an STI or heavily modified WRX.

So just avoid the beat to fuck ones, buy from Subaru groups and those who know what maintenance entails. I bought my WRX from an older couple who hadn't even driven it every winter.

Rule of thumb with Wrx's and other cheaper performance vehicles. The cheaper they become the more beat on they will be. Spend a little extra and you'll have a solid machine.

I like to buy different cars. I don't want the same shit box that everyone has. Not to mention they are cheap Japanese shit boxes, they have poor build quality with lots of rattles, they rust crazy fast also

All these dumbfucks saying "I can afford them but they're all beat to shit"

YOU CAN AFFORD SHITTY ONES AND NOT THE UNMODDED CLEAN ONES

Therefore YOU CAN'T AFFORD IT

555 come the FUCK on now

This is wrong, funny to see everyone on Veeky Forums let's some Yolo swagfags ruin a great car for themselves. Enjoy it as it should and let the rest of the kiddies have their circlejerk at the car meets.

I'm not gonna buy a 10 year old abused sports sedan for 20k when I can buy a new one that's infinitely better and faster

what car is better option?

because half the retards think that it understeers when really they don't know how to drive manual

loser itt citing "the Chad who deflowered my high school crush" as reasons for not liking them
L
M
A
O

An opinion I dont agree with, but I do respect.

I don't get the whole understeer meme. Are people just making things up? I understand the vape swag yolo but all WRX drivers are not like that. The only issue I have with mine is yes, the trans is quite fragile.

It's just benchracers. The WRX has mild understeer at best, and most of the time it's because of a retarded driver who can't into vehicle dynamics. A bit of throttle lift before turn-in goes a long way to making most FWD and AWD cars turn better

They all play forza and blame the car for understeering when really all you have to do to cause oversteer is push in the clutch to kill power which makes the car want to turn more sharply than normal.

They're probably the same retards who think wings don't help FF cars and that FF cars can't oversteer

Understeer is partial problem, the input is what others get confused with

hardly, avoiding understeer is as easy as avoiding oversteer

It is barely noticeable but there, like I said """people"" get it mixed up with steering input which is problem with AWD cars

There are better options for the price
They aren't that bad though.

I honestly don't know what's a better deal than a 2017 WRX for 27k NEW

They really aren't any more expensive than any generic econobox

What is better than an AWD sedan with a turbo at 26k brand new for a 2017 WRX?

youtube.com/watch?v=DRg5Sp1iQMc

idk. people who actually race cars break world records in them. Good enough for me, I guess. I like my 2007 wrx. stripped all of the faggy badging and stickers off of it, did basic tune-up shit (spark plugs, brakes and hardware, complete fluid flush and replacement, etc etc) Got a decent custom tune from a reputable shop. It's quick enough to get the fun out of accelerating in an AWD turbo car without the insanity of wanting to push some monstrous supercharged v10 to 200 mph on city streets.

people hate them because they try to clutch dump and break the tranny, mod them with shit tier mods that will only last a year at best, and then abuse them without doing any of the maintenance.
All of that gets shown when you go buy one of them in the used market, they're thrashed, so when people come to talk about them and how "shitty" they are, people just assume it's Subaru and not the owner before it.

At least used, an Audi A4 is probably a better deal. Probably going to blow up faster than a WRX modded to shit, though

Why would it have to have AWD or a turbo? those are both memes.

>used vs brand fucking new with a warranty and everything.

Not buying "modded" when I buy new

Because the WRX is AWD with a turbo

What else can you get for 27k brand new thats a sedan, AWD, turbo and shit?

You said theres something better I've never heard of it what is it?

>push in the clutch to stop understeer
>critiquing ither people
Just stop idiot

How to oversteer in a wrx, USE THE BRAKES TO ROTATE
NOT THE CLUTCH

Also dccd exists

>used Audi
Wew

>use the brakes to rotate
most of the brake balance is biased to the front

pressing the clutch in will kill power from the engine to the wheels suddenly the wheels have no forward torque which allows the car to turn more sharply than normal which is oversteer

There is nothing to agree or disagree with. An Evo of similar vintage will be objectively superior in almost every metric to a WRX.

No, BOTH are great cars with their own qualities

>most of brake balance is biased to the front
Ah duuh, exactly
Thats how it rotates.. please learn about vehicle dynamics before you continue to spout off shit thank you

This

whats gonna make the car to turn more sharply than normal under brakes?

I didn't say you stop understeer by pressing in the clutch, you can cause oversteer using the clutch

Yeah, but a WRX STi holds its own with the EVO depending on the course and conditions. They're both great cars.

Shame Mitsusushi didn't follow Subaru and make a WRX-level (230~hp) turbo Lancer to compete in sales. A wagon/hatch would have helped too. I know the Evo IX had a wagon variant that nobody bought though,

Sorry I'm being very rude, here's a video for demonstration

youtu.be/s3KAwXRWqLg

the STi's AWD is rear wheel based IIRC the WRX's is front wheel based.

>the WRX's is front wheel based.
no

Not him but STI has DCCD, not WRX. I think that's what he means

Wrong, one is open diff the other has locking diffs

The torque split certainly makes a difference but the techniques still apply to non dccd models
Though they won't get as hectic

They literally all hate it because they can't afford a new one and the used ones are all too expensive.

Its why there's so many G35/350Z threads, Veeky Forums is full of broke fucking Puerto Ricans. The ones that bought it new, sucked it up and paid fhe money, or got a good deal on a used one love theirs.

This is why they hold value so strong.

There's literally no other sport compact with those attributes (manual, Turbo AWD, sedan/hatchback). The ones that DO exist all hold just as retarded resale (Golf R/Evos) or are German Luxury Cars guaranteed to shit themselves a few years outside of warranty.

They made the Lancer Ralliart, which was a detuned Evo X.

Then fucked it up by making it TC-SST only and pricing it $2-4,000 less than a Evo X (as high as $31-32,000 MSRP in some cases, mind you WRXs were still $25-26,000 cars then and Subaru didn't seem like it was consistently in danger of failing).

New WRX's have consistently been one of the only good value cars to purchase new. Only the Jeep Wrangler seems to hold its value better.

Used market for WRX's is tough unless you're really in love with the older ones. I bought mine for $5400 which had a fully documented by a shop 30k miles engine swapped into it, new turbo, clutch, and lots of other things. Everyone talks about the gearbox being shit, but the way I see it: if it dies, it's an excuse to swap an STi 6 speed in. Besides, unless you're drag launching the thing, I don't see how you can break it.

And anyway, replacement engines are still cheap for those who blow theirs up. It's the STi engines that cost a fortune for not that much extra oomph. The EJ205 can be built decently up to 300WHP which is close to double what you get at the wheels normally. To be honest, fampai, I think the stock power is appropriate, especially since I don't race mine, but rather drive up lots of mountains. Living at 5000-8000 feet makes N/A cars feel terrible,

I have a blobeye that is stock.

had it for nearly ౩ months and haven't noticed any issues besides that Brandt security system shit

would getting an after market turbo back exhaust fuck up reliability? I won't be cheapish out on it.

I plan on keeping this car long term.

and how bad is it that most of my drives are pretty short. around 10 min drives to work

I would get an Evo and avoid the vapetax of le ebin colin mcrae car. They are good if you can get your hands on an un-ruined one, but objectively not worth the money. I'm actually thinking about getting an Evo. Or I go madman and get an RX-8 for even less.

>and how bad is it that most of my drives are pretty short. around 10 min drives to work
shouldn't be too bad, just make sure you push it properly to get it warm every time (not right away of course, let the engine oil up). take strain from the gearbox by rev-matching properly too.

3" TBE and a GOOD tune won't hurt the car at all. People have been doing it for years with no issues.

What do you mean push it.

usually by the time I get onto the main Street my car oil temp is up.

do you mean rev it higher before I change gears like 4k revs or something.

this is my first manual car (that I am learning on), I don't think I fully get rev matching yet.

is it bad to take turns with the clutch pushed in?

Most ppl on here are to poor to afford subarus. All teenagers who drive civics and thing those loud fart cans are fast. Thinking when vtec kicks in they will beat any one. This fully built short block alone going into my subi build probably costs more then 60% of peoples cars on here. Not gonna lie, you wont get the most power for what you spend to build one because there are better platforms to build on. But it depends what you want. I like taking my subi in the snow and dirt and going drifting. Messing around alot with the awd. In the end its a fun drive when you have around 600hp in an awd car.

I'm this guy desu the reason why I bought mine was purely because I like how they looked, I wanted to learn how to drive manual. and finally wanted to buy my own first car.

so why not get something I liked right?

How do I get deeper knowledge and learn more about my car becuase before buying this I had no interest in cars but just fell in love.

where do I start when learning about what's under the hood

Im not him but, you should start with things like pistons and cams, learn what makes the engine keep on spinning, what I did.

The wrx nigga. New one is like 27k why the fuck would you buy an abused 10 year old car for almost the same price.

Well learning to drive stick will come from experiance. Learning on an awd isnt the best. Bigger potential to wear the clutch out faster. But give that time. Only time you should have the clutch pushed in and hold it in is for a launch with 2 step/launch control. And as for learning thats depends on what you wanna get in to first. The how shit works stuff off the bat or the easy stuff. Like intakes, Exhausts, turbos, controllers, and bolt ons in general. Plus just basic stuff like oil changes, fluid swaps, spark plugs and things like that. Would be best to just start youtubing parts and what they do and everuthing about them. Join a subi forum. Read through other peoples suggestions, diy, tuts, tips and tricks. Also posts about problemz they have and fixes. Clubwrx, torontosubaruclub and etc.
Thats a stock pistons out an wrx with an 2.5l

Im pretty sure they are both viscous shit coupling awd based

basically you want to rev high for longer periods of time but don't want to put too much load on your transmission. so no clutch dumping starts etc, just shift late and smoothly. it's the best way to drive a car on short trips.

>longer periods of time
how long are we talking?

like should I just stick to 3rd or even 2nd gear if the longest road I drive on to work has a speed limit of 50mph.

usually on this road I go to 4th gear but don't really feel the need to go in 5th.

Why would anyone pick a 4 door unless it was the estate version?

It's usually just the evo fangirls that hate on it

After the gc8, they only came in four doors. Most if the time I hear 4 door gc8s are better to live with anyway. There's not much rigidity difference anyway.

I had to choose between a WRX and a GTI for my first car.

Went with the GTI, but not because the WRX sucks.

>GTI was cheaper for the same year (2003)
>family has always had VWs, have lots of repair/maintenance experience
>parents also had lots of Subarus but they had more problems with Subarus than VWs that cost lots to fix
>finally, I enjoy the GTIs aesthetic more than the WRX, and I thought the car would fit my personality better, most WRXs look the same while GTIs are unique.

Maybe I'll get a WRX at some point though.

Pic related, not my car though.

The same reasons I don't like BMWs
>The people who drive them are douchebags

But there is no such stigma in Europe for them and I would kill for one of
>pic related.

What are those rims?

Man, opposite experience here... Bad experience with my Jetta and I never even considered GTIs, even if I hear they're great. So I got a WRX and I haven't regretted it.

Of all the cars I test drove, the WRX was the one that impressed me the most.

Same. I had a 2003 Passat with the 1.8t. Had the dreaded oil sludge even using the recommended 502 spec oil. The car cost me a lot of money.

brother where you at?

I like some bmw's as a car like e30 and 8 series.
All audis are shit tho.

But subies are fun, usually driven by rally drivers and such who crank up the boost and scare beemers.

I'd much rather a lan evo tho. mostly because it's rarer. But considering I could've had an evo 7 and I didn't.

fanbase a SHIT

If normal accelerating with spaces being gear changes is vrrmm vrmm vrmm vrrrr final speed. The warm up shifting would be vrrrmmm vrrrmmm vrrrmmm vrrrr same final speed. Basically just accelerate more slowly.

I think people hate the owners more than the actual cars.

With that being said there's plenty to not like about them start with but not limited to:

>Headgasket
>Notoriously weak gearbox
>Difficult to work on due to engine config
>Corrosion issues
>Half decent examples command near original MSRP

The vape meme is real when even your car blows out white shit obnoxiously, cause every WRX may as well need a headgasket

(づ。‿‿。)づ

can't see this having legitimate hate.

probably what you see is all fanbase backlash and warnings about broken subarus from hipsters in seattle.

the car itself is top of the line for what it's designed to do. who could hate that?