What experiences should a man take on to become a better person?

What experiences should a man take on to become a better person?

Other urls found in this thread:

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Diocletian
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

Do something really really hard.

Like what?

Learn C++

Death.

OP should take death.

Raise an offspring

Killing

I've killed plenty of insects.

I'm not in the position for such a drastic change. I'm asking for tasks that a man should tackle to prove his worth.

Grow vegetables

doing time in a turkish jail

trial by fire.

if he can survive the oven, hes worth a shot

Is this really the only sensible answer I am going to get from this board?

Yes

anything to do with gardening, constructing, or something productive is good character building.

Worth is subjective, so define that first. What do you consider worthwile?

There's no universally accepted definition of "better" nor is there a guideline to become such an individual. The closest would be to build your own values and beliefs fitting to one's self; developing an identity on your own through critical though as opposed to asking for input from others would be a start.

[spoiler]this only applies to me so i dont expect you to share my opinions but thats what id do if i was motivated to be a better person[/spoiler]

Ego death.

Develop a system of personal values - Try and narrow it down to 5 well defined things that are the most important to you. Nobody but you can tell you what they are, and it'll take some reflection, and most people don't bother and just live according to a nebulous amalgamation of morals they've picked up from society. Once you've done that, live according to your values, even if it inconveniences you.

Exercise regularly, go somewhere you've never gone before, read literature, eat right, start a full contact sport such as boxing. There's no gimmick or shortcut to be a man. Its a gradual process that takes time and effort but in the end you'll be a different man.

Become a Christian. Follow Jesus and read the Bible.

this is basically it

good luck, OP

Rebuilding a car, or renovating a house, or building either of those from a kit or scratch.

Both of those take a wide spectrum of skills to pull off.

Travel to foreign countries and experience what life is like for different people
And then conquer those people in the name of Democracy and Freedom

nice try kiddo

Democracy and freedom are incompatible

>implying freedom doesn't require democracy

Go suck a dead king's dick, scum.

Labour
Poverty
Learning
Enterprising
Politics
Family
Prosperity
Mortality

Study philosophy. Build your own house.

Build an off grid community with me

Go into the wild, butt naked...start from scratch

Do something on your own. Something that isn't spoonfed to you.

Conquer yourself

This

Thinking.

Have a child, hold down a job, build a house, get involved in your community.

nearly impossible in western culture

be NEET

doing your best and it not being enough

>tfw you would actually literally do this with other anons given the chance, but this user is probably just memeing and not taking it seriously.

this but also this

Create bindings to gtk3.0+ in a scripting language of your own design.

On OpenBSD.

I'm serious. I'd love to do it

but we're probably on the other side of the world and broke anyway

>Grow vegetables

>Grow vegetables
>"At Carnuntum people begged Diocletian to return to the throne, to resolve the conflicts that had arisen through Constantine's rise to power and Maxentius' usurpation.[200] Diocletian's reply: "If you could show the cabbage that I planted with my own hands to your emperor, he definitely wouldn't dare suggest that I replace the peace and happiness of this place with the storms of a never-satisfied greed."

I think we're on to something here
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Diocletian

How the fuck can you attain this. I just can't get over it.

Some important ones:
>Grow your own food
>Study philosophy

>Listen to Epictetus:

"Whatever moral rules you have deliberately proposed to yourself. abide by them as they were laws, and as if you would be guilty of impiety by violating any of them. Don't regard what anyone says of you, for this, after all, is no concern of yours. How long, then, will you put off thinking yourself worthy of the highest improvements and follow the distinctions of reason? You have received the philosophical theorems, with which you ought to be familiar, and you have been familiar with them. What other master, then, do you wait for, to throw upon that the delay of reforming yourself? You are no longer a boy, but a grown man. If, therefore, you will be negligent and slothful, and always add procrastination to procrastination, purpose to purpose, and fix day after day in which you will attend to yourself, you will insensibly continue without proficiency, and, living and dying, persevere in being one of the vulgar. This instant, then, think yourself worthy of living as a man grown up, and a proficient. Let whatever appears to be the best be to you an inviolable law. And if any instance of pain or pleasure, or glory or disgrace, is set before you, remember that now is the combat, now the Olympiad comes on, nor can it be put off. By once being defeated and giving way, proficiency is lost, or by the contrary preserved. Thus Socrates became perfect, improving himself by everything. Attending to nothing but reason. And though you are not yet a Socrates, you ought, however, to live as one desirous of becoming a Socrates."

Leave Veeky Forums.

About 500 micrograms of LSD or long-session meditation for 6+ months.

Kill someone to save another's physical integrity.

Do you know anything about agriculture or animal husbandry? Hunting, fishing, carpentry, stoneworking?

It really boils down to doing something constructive instead of destructive

For me mushrooms or meditation

This tbqhwyrnfam

Do you like gladiator movies?

For me Veeky Forums represents true social freedom of expression, which is one of the main reasons I always come back

Learn a martial art (a real one like Judo or Wrestling), learn a foreign language, learn to play an instrument, go on a long term hike, spend an extended period of time in a foreign country, attend at least one orgy in your lifetime.

Learn how to fall. Everyone falls, no exception. However if you learn how to fall, you'll be better off.

Works in just about every situation in general.

Sailing. Buy a ~4000 dollar used/refurbished sailboat.They will be around 20-30 feet for that price. and sail around the world. People have sailed the world who are younger and with less than you would probably have. you get alot of self time, dont have to bother with anyone else. just the sea and you. grants immense amount of freedom for your schedule.
Fish and grow red peppers on board for food. Dock to marina for water.
You will have alot of time, to reflect on yourself, as you wont have a job other than maintaining your sailboat, and you wont have to worry about pay bills.
also this

America
Watching Europe burn for 3 years and then looting it all at the very end was America's greatest moment

Meditation and working on something you feel being a part of, for egsample art.

I know some of the basics. Especially growing food.

But life is long, there's always time to learn.

reddit suits you much better

Get off of the Chan

>being this delusional

Democracy only gives people the illusion of power. Your only "free" so long as you are part of the majority and even that isn't true freedom.

Picked a bad terrain and lacked knowledge/techniques for survival.

Do you know what " rights of the minority " means?

>implying Veeky Forums isn't about freedom of expression