Toyota Trucks

Why are used Toyota tacomas and tundras so damn expensive? Not just late 2000's but I am talking about early 90's to early 2000's mainly. Why are they so damn expensive? What makes them different from Chevys, Fords, and Rams? Is it the engineering or just the overall build quality? I see same year tacomas and tundras go for thousands more than Rams and Silverados in the exact same condition. What makes toyotas so special?

Other urls found in this thread:

trucktrend.com/features/1607-toyota-buys-victor-sheppards-million-mile-2007-tundra/
austin.craigslist.org/search/cto
austin.craigslist.org/cto/6055204679.html
austin.craigslist.org/cto/6055099310.html
austin.craigslist.org/cto/6046318070.html
austin.craigslist.org/cto/6055227855.html
austin.craigslist.org/cto/6046842182.html
austin.craigslist.org/cto/6047030884.html
austin.craigslist.org/cto/6036462444.html
austin.craigslist.org/cto/6053048454.html
austin.craigslist.org/cto/6053086940.html
rockauto.com/en/catalog/nissan,1995,pickup,2.4l l4,1212174,cooling system,radiator,2172
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

They're in high demand because of isis

Build quality. More $$ to maintain because Japanese parts are fuckin pricy, too.

Older Taco's have a frame rot recall, either they were junked or the bed/cab was lifted and put on a new frame. Other than that I'd rock one, but they are harder to find in the wreckers for cheap parts.

Yes I heard about that, I mean if there's a completely new frame on there I could see why but a lot of the ads don't mention anything like that. That leads me to believe they're trying to sell a 6000 dollar 15 to 20 year old truck that's rusted as hell

Toyota made the 90s Camry fairly well and it ended up being a bit more reliable than 90s econobox sedan competitors. Since normies are simple minded but think they're really smart and most of their experience comes from 90s econoboxes and the things their parents told them about said econoboxes, Toyota has developed a false reputation for universally being the most reliable.

This idea was further fed with a blatant misunderstanding of what conditions are harsh on automobiles when international TV started showing terrorists in the middle east using them. This did two things. The first was causing people to think said terrorists were choosing them over domestic options because the terrorists knew something about them we didn't. In reality, those are by a large margin the most available in that area. There was no F250 or chevy pickup to choose from and the goat fucking mud hut building allah worshiping terrorists wouldn't know any better even if there were.
The second was surprise people at the Hilux/Tacoma's ability to keep going in such harsh conditions. In reality, the conditions are not very harsh on the vehicles, they're harsh on people. Getting shot at doesn't bother a truck and nor does 110 degree heat or a sand storm as long as the cooling system is functioning and the vehicle is equipped with an air filter. In addition to that, the vehicles are driven for shorter distances at much lower speeds than a vehicle in the US and a soft sandy road at 30mph is significantly easier on a vehicle than a highway at 80mph.

Finally there's the statistics that are essentially meaningless since they lack a control test. Tacomas on average have fewer major issues develop than most other pickups. This does not account for the Tacomas being maintained religiously, being driven quite a bit less, being driven easier, spending far more time empty, and and carrying far less weight when they aren't empty. It's kind of a self fulfilling prophecy.

Fucking crackpot

They are worth it.
trucktrend.com/features/1607-toyota-buys-victor-sheppards-million-mile-2007-tundra/

In reality they're engineered to fail with a frame that is designed to limit the lifespan of the vehicle by rusting prematurely, built with very poor quality steel. There is no engineering or build quality advantage that the Tacoma/Tundra has over the average domestic full size truck. Transmission MIGHT be better on average than a 90s 1/2 ton domestic. The only reason they develop less issues is because they're treated far better. Many domestic trucks are treated as being disposable throw away trucks often right from the day they roll off the lot.

TLDR: People falsely convince themselves that they're 10% better than everything else, then refuse to buy anything else. Now you have to pay 200-400% more than than you would for a competitor to get one and the result is brandwhoring bragging rights with no real advantage.

On a positive note the same people that are causing Toyotas to be overpriced have effectively shifted the demand causing many other trucks to be underpriced. Do not complain about this, celebrate it. Go buy a single cab 3/4 ton domestic truck for $2k and take care of it the same way you would a Tacoma. It'll last longer at a lower price.

There are dozens of GM pickups and SUVs that have clocked over a million miles and several Ford trucks as well.

In a non salt belt country it's not even close to that bad. That being said I got mine for 500 bucks

Did i say there wasnt?
I bet it took a lot more work to achieve though.

There will never be another perfectly sized truck EVER AGAIN

>domestic shitbox defense force shows up right on time

Y must u derail thread user

It did take a lot more work. Many of those were being used as trucks and being pushed to their payload or towing capacity limits for the majority of those miles. Not just being used as a shuttle with a bed to occasionally throw shit in.

I don't see the logic in thinking that one example of a truck making it to a million miles doing very little work is a reason to pay 2-4 times as much as you would for one that has many more examples making it that far doing more work.

Perhaps you made up your mind that it's worth and are now seeking evidence to prove it rather than deciding they're worth it based on evidence?

Holy shit all this protecting. No one says that's making them worth that much money, they're just good trucks, Jesus you guys are defensive.

>check craigslist
>all toyotas over 300k miles and running fine
>all chevy, dodge and fords are broken at 150k miles
Hmm

We can get more specific if you want?

toyota defense force just in time for damage control

>inb4 your tacoma is better than a chevy for taking you to starbucks to browse twitter on your mac book and take selfies with your iphone

@16881044
Good try guy

>No one says that's making them worth that much money
Except the guy who made a post who's entire point was that assertion >things that didn't happen

>T-That points doesn't count.
Lel

literally the same projecting post with you every time. are you so filled with poorfag angst that you set a daily alarm on your f-91w to show up to Veeky Forums and shill GM?

>inb4 muh burban on 44s can do what your taco on 31s does

post your local CL and we'll have a look.

>everyone that doesn't buy into the toyota meme has a burban on 44s

Literally the same projecting post with you every time.

Because tacos really are more reliable and better built than their domestic counter parts.

Yes there are plenty of old fords and chevys still on the road, but they leak oil or they've had their engine rebuilt or something. Now granted, its a lot cheaper to do that on an american truck vs a toyota. The thing is tacos just go longer without problems.

Example: i had a 2004 silverado; engine would last a life time, but the trans shit the bed, electronics had to be replaced over and over, and i had to scrap it after 140k miles of babying it. My dad bought a 1998 taco from a woman owner, oil was more than burnt black. He swapped the fluids and its been dead reliable for over 200k miles as a work truck, being hailed on, and living on the gulf coast.. Its been in the shop 3 times since he's owned it. 1: getting new belts on it. 2: getting the pulleys replaced after the idiot who did the belts bent them 70k miles ago (and we only noticed when it needed new belts). 3: when someone stole the cat off it.

Believe me, im a gm fangirl and want nothing but old chevys, but after my truck shit the bed, the onlu reasonable replacement was a 2017 taco because i know i could drive it for the next 20 years without major repairs.

And just for more info, my dad still dd's his 98, and plans on doing it for another 5 years. Doesnt leak or burn oil, ac blows ice cold. Only rust is there the paint got fucked fron the hail (beforehand it looked brand new), his only complaint is the door handle and lock on the passenger door is going out.

In my area, at least the domestic trucks are much much cheaper than the toyotas. It honestly is JUST Toyota I'm serious Nissan and Mazda trucks do not go for anywhere near as much as toyotas. Literally Toyota trucks, are practically the most expensive type of truck I see on Craigslist and around town. No matter the year.

>This idea was further fed with a blatant misunderstanding of what conditions are harsh on automobiles

>dead reliable for over 200k miles as a work truck, being hailed on, and living on the gulf coast

You can't make this shit up.

I'm in Ontario and worked at a dealership while the recall was going on. I saw many Tacos with beds off. One with over 600,000kms still received a new frame. We had to rustproof them in our detailing shop.

So if you're buying in the salt area, make damn sure for older ones, you check to see if the frame has been done.

I wish North America didn't drop the Hilux back in the 90s.

Oh, while I worked there I got to drive many new Tundras. I loved the interiors, build quality felt decent, nice gauges, I liked the growl of the V8. They have sold well enough, but I know people are loyal to Ford, GM, etc.

I drove F-150s and Chevys too (trade ins), wasn't a fan. Cheaper interior materials. Premature rust already starting in areas, like seams on door bottoms. Me, I would buy a Tundra if I needed to. But that's me.

Its okay, you won't do shit.
austin.craigslist.org/search/cto

You're the one that set up the arbitrary criteria when you made false claims.

austin.craigslist.org/cto/6055204679.html
austin.craigslist.org/cto/6055099310.html
austin.craigslist.org/cto/6046318070.html
austin.craigslist.org/cto/6055227855.html
austin.craigslist.org/cto/6046842182.html
austin.craigslist.org/cto/6047030884.html
austin.craigslist.org/cto/6036462444.html
austin.craigslist.org/cto/6053048454.html

austin.craigslist.org/cto/6053086940.html

Literally no Toyotas on your CL with 300k miles or more.
And remember, you set that arbitray standard with your claim, not me.

Yfw I'm not the guy you think you've been arguing with. Leling @ ur life

I'd tent to believe this is partially true. All i know is that people put shitty american toyotas on the same pedestal as land cruisers where they really don't deserve to be.

tend*

>it's a giant conspiracy!!
No, they are that much more well made and equipped than the alternatives. The parts aren't more expensive and they are much easier to repair than the "American" trucks (the Tacoma is an American truck, 1st and some 2nd gen Tacos were made in the USA at NUUMI in California, now they are made in New Mexico)

>soft sandy road at 30mph is significantly easier on a vehicle than a highway at 80mph.

3rd world here. I experience the opposite. Most of the trucks and SUVs I deal with tend to have steering components, bushings and anything that articulates on the regular. Doesn't matter what brand or where it is built you are going to have to be changing out suspension components at 3 years from commissioning. I say commissioning because a new car to us is a decade old import. But some companies can afford brand new and they deteriorate at the same rate as anything else.

I agree with everything else you say. Even as a 70 series fanboy. I wish people didn't have this idea of them so I can actually afford a 70 series pickup but for now I'll have to stick to my Dakota.

>well made and equipped than the alternative
Maybe well made but I doubt better equipped with all the gadgetry the domestics are putting on their trucks nowadays.

What? As a 30+ year New Mexico resident, I can safely tell you that nothing manufactured here except for meth and pissed off indians.

OP post
>I am talking about early 90's to early 2000's mainly
I didn't mean gadgets either way, look at a 1st gen Taco TRD 4x4 V6 vs a Ranger V6 4x4, or an Edge vs an X Runner or PreRunner, the Tacomas had more equipment whether you wanted to go off road with the Bilsteins, lockers, etc. or performancewise with big brakes, nice 6 speed manual, etc.

It's San Antonio TX, just looked it up.

Those tacomas (and tundras) also came with an absolutely retarded non failsafe ball joint design.

What is a fail-safe ball joint?

Kinda like rangers?

>No, they are that much more well made and equipped than the alternatives.
Really? What equipment does an $8000 Tacoma have that a $3000 F250 or C/K 2500 doesn't have? Half of the Tacomas I see have crank windows and I don't know if I've ever even seen a 90s model with leather seats.

How much more well made is the frame that rusts faster and reaches catastrophic failure sooner and at a higher rate than any competitor?

>the Tacoma is an American truck
In that it's sold in America, yes. Corporate profits are going to an overseas foreign company, it was designed by a foreign company, and it's nearly entirely based on the global Hilux but like nearly every other truck available globally has very different engine/trans options in the US.

The ball joint is pressed together by the weight of the truck, not pulled apart.
>prerunnered out ranger
lol nice cherrypicking

>I didn't mean gadgets either way, look at a 1st gen Taco TRD 4x4 V6 vs a Ranger V6 4x4, or an Edge vs an X Runner or PreRunner, the Tacomas had more equipment whether you wanted to go off road with the Bilsteins, lockers, etc. or performancewise with big brakes, nice 6 speed manual, etc.
Why compare it to a Ranger instead of the GMC Syclone?
>most GM pickups in the 90s had a locker and Bilsteins were offered as part of multiple upgrade packages including being standard on all Z71s

Still not seeing justification for the price difference.

>low speed dirt driveway
>spotless taco probably babied

>off road
>prerunner'd out ranger with bent bumper
>was probably just jumped after being modified in a poor manner

"It happens to both" is not a valid counter point to "it happens at a higher rate to one"

You can live in denial.
No bother to me.

>what is google reverse image search
The dude was driving without his CV shaft and the wheel hub fell apart.
>toyota fags can't even bait

Fords fall apart.
Thats the point

Faaark, that chassis twist...

70 Series owner here, not sure about yank tank Toyboatas but 70's hold their value incredibly well as all of the positive conjecture is more or less true. These things are built like a brick shithouse and are exceptionally reliable.

They hold their second hand price like crazy. Mate sold his 05 1HD ute for fourty five grand after buying it for fifty two grand a few years earlier. Hell my 09 1VD I got for forty nine grand and it's insured for market value three years later at forty seven grand. I've had a few offers spitballed but a formal one at forty six thousand, so the ute really has depreciated a thousand bucks a year for me.

Shits good.

Tacoma and 70 series aren't even in the same league desu.

reminder that the reason Toyota is associated with rusty frames is because they actually addressed the issue, while the rest of manufacturers ignored their own rusty frame problems

Blame Consumer Reports

toyota owners know what they got

Toyota dodged the issue as long as they could before they were forced into the recall to avoid legal action, because a recall looks better than thousands of lawsuits regarding the same issue. Even still they recalled only the bare minimum and are regularly being forced into expanding the recall because as best we can tell they STILL have not fixed the underlying issue and refuse to admit that they know the problem existed for so many years. In all honesty it's likely it was intentional. Corporate Toyota doesn't give two fucks if your 15 year old used truck rusts in half.

Everything rusts in the rust belt. Toyotas literally rust in half in locations where rust isn't an issue for most vehicles.

I inherited an 03 Tundra from my dad, 207k miles, single owner, well-maintained and in great shape. Am i correct in assuming i could get like $6000 for it? That seems bonkers to me. I like the truck but goddamn if that isnt tempting.

>nor does 110 degree heat or a sand storm as long as the cooling system is functioning and the vehicle is equipped with an air filter
See, in a high load low speed scenario typical of a desert, even the most perfectly functional factory cooling can struggle to regulate operating temperature. The idea that 100+ degree ambient temperatures are not harsh on vehicles is the stupidest oversight I've ever heard. This is true if you traverse nothing but highways or hardpacked dirt.

>high load
>desert
nigga what
We're not talking about pulling 10k lbs and we're not talking about climbing loose sand dunes. They might not all be paved but they still have roads in third world shitholes you ignorant uncultured fuck.

No nigga, we're talking about traversing soft coarse hungry sand that's so deprived of fines it's like driving on talcum powder. You know, the kind of sand that creates a constant load.
And no, not all deserts have hardpacked graded roads like the one you've chosen to share you inbred retarded cunt.

>not all deserts have roads like that one in the middle east
That's Iraq. It's literally THE area in question.

That's a very fair price for that. It won't label me as OP but this is what I was talking about when I started the thread. A ram of the same year and condition would only go for like 3-5k while this is 6k+.

Is it too much to say I really like my truck because it makes for a great platform to build off of, even if the reliability itself is a bit exaggerated?

I've had this thing for 5 years and it's taken every beating I've given it. The steering feels smooth and neat, the ride is decent, the seats are meh, but the overall fit and finish is pretty good. No interior plastic parts rattling, no loose body panels, the stock stereo isn't half bad, and the V6 feels light and likes to rev.

It's not for everyone, and the price point kinda sucks, but personally I love my Taco, and I couldn't ask for a better light pickup.

Perfectly fair, but at least you didn't overpay too much for yours since 2WD models are so much cheaper.

That's true. The way I see it, also, everyone draws a line at what they think a truck is worth, and if I could've found a 4x4 for under 9200 I probably would've taken it

That is sexy as hell, I wish I had a truck. I want either a Tacoma, tundra or a ram.

Assuming you oil-spray the frame, a Tacoma is definitely the overall more reliable/trouble-free vehicle compared to both domestic compacts (Ranger, S10, Dakota), as well as on average domestic half-tons. Now in terms or durability, the US spec Tacoma is good but overall unremarkable IMO. Yes there's the ball joints with an unfortunate failure mode, but the thing is that they last well over 150k under the vast majority of circumstances, something that cannot be said of most domestics. Just change them preemptively at 150k if you're really worried and enjoy another 10+ years of worry free motoring.

The massive sperg out that certain Veeky Forumstists throw over Toyota trucks and 4x4s is certainly fun to observe at first, but quickly gets old and constantly ruins /ORG/ threads.

>his back window doesn't roll down
kys

But it does!

Lol..owned some German cars and Japanese cars. I learned the hard way that Toyota care more about relaiblity that Americans or Germans.

I'll give toyota credit where credit is due, the tacoma isn't a bad truck, but the boomers and toyota fanboys who get all high and mighty and think their truck is made of unobtainium and worth 10k with 250k miles on the clock triggers me.

>$9200
Fucking christ even a 4x4 is only about $3k worth of truck assuming decent options and 150-200k miles. Maybe $4k at 100-150k.

The people are repulsive but I'm not even mad about the situation. Brings the price down on better trucks.

Nice! Do you cut domestics off in traffic and roll down you back window to send them into a stationary window ragefit as well?

Might as well ask here

I have an 01 Tundra ext cab. I want to change the bed since there's rust around the fender flares and the bed itself has a lot of dings.

Would the bed of a 02 Tundra fit (I'm assuming it does, but I haven't been able to find an specific answer in the googles), and if so, is this something that I could manage to do in one aft if I have access to mechanic's tools?

I'll agree with you there, the Toyota tax cuts both ways. I ponied up $6300 4 years ago to buy a '96 4Runner limited (e-locked) with only 99k miles in pristine condition with a totally rust-free frame. The beautiful thing is that 4 years later and 40k miles down the road I've turned down offers of $7500 to sell it.

Conversely, when it came time to buy a beater pickup, Tacoma/Toyota pickup prices were not worth it IMO, trucks in very sad shape and astronomical mileage that were just unpalatable. I ended up with a single owner '97 Ranger with 125k miles for $1700. It has a few things wrong with it that I'd say you would never see on a Toyota of that age/mileage, but parts are dirt cheap and it's nothing that keeps the truck from running so I don't mind so much.

Fanboys on both sides really shit things up.

It will, but if the bed is rusted the frame is probably shot so there's really not much point. Without the bed holding it together the frame might fold as you're attempting to swap them out.

Honestly if the bed is starting to go, I'd take a long hard look at the frame to check what condition that is in before I invested in a new bed for cosmetic purposes. You might just have a much larger issue at hand unfortunately.

It'll fit if it's from an access cab obviously. Double cabs are bigger. Probably easier to bondo up the rust spots and drop in (or spray) a liner.

That's why unless I ever buy an 80 series or something, I'll never buy a used toyota truck. Most domestics are great and aren't taxed, plus parts are very plentiful and cheap, like you said.

the frame is good, it was checked last month. The frame was sprayed with that heavy compound/whatevs when the frame recall happened. I krown it every other year as well

The only rust happening is at the fender flares (happened to the front flares as well, not sure why) and again, the frame is mint as far as we can tell

Thanks for the read Veeky Forums. I'm the guy with the thread considering a Ford Ranger (). This has made for some good comparisons on both trucks.

No one said a word about the Nissan Frontier, heh.

I think it's a matter of higher cost of entry, but you get some better build quality (if not durability in some cases), and you are basically guaranteed to get your money back out once you sell. Yes there are some pricier parts and in general most 'yota guys splurge for OEM parts when it comes to ball joints and such in particular ($90 per side). But honestly it's not a huge leap up from domestics for most generic parts like shocks and springs. I redid the rear suspension on my 4Runner with Moog springs that were $50 for the pair, and a Monroe adjustable air shock kit for $60 for the pair. When I ordered shocks for the ranger, I ordered that same Monroe kit for the same price. To be fair the front shocks on the Ranger (rather than struts on Toyota) are undeniably cheaper, and I could easily afford the $30 per shock OE spec Motorcrafts. On the Toyota I think I paid about $80 per KYB strut, I have no idea what OEM would have cost but I think it's in the $120 range.

>No one said a word about the Nissan Frontier, heh.

Because they're rightfully not worth mentioning.

Glad you like it, my dude. Makes for a fun daily!

>the Tundra, 4Runner, and Seqoia all came with roll-down rear windows
>Tacomas got jack shit
Fucking end me now

That's my only problem with the 1st gen. That and the stupid-ass clock put right out of view

Like I said, everyone has their price point

Frontiers and the hardbodies that precede them are a pretty solid choice IMO, assuming you find a rust-free example. They are insanely popular down in Mexico where they build and sell D22s to this day, and made D21s until fairly recently. So parts are freaky-cheap, as in cheaper than for a Ranger cheap. $60 radiators, $30 lower control arms, etc.

Honestly I'd be looking at condition and upkeep rather than a particular make of small truck if I were in your shoes.

>popular in mexico
You mean with mexican scum?

True, but honestly I can deal with rattly plastics and squeaky seats if it shaves half the price off my truck. To each his own.

>$60 radiator for tiny truck
>freakishly cheap

You can buy a new radiator for a 2nd gen Cummins for $80.

Find me one on Rockauto for $80.

Here's a link for the Nissan: as cheap as $51, topping out at $64.
rockauto.com/en/catalog/nissan,1995,pickup,2.4l l4,1212174,cooling system,radiator,2172

Neighbor had his Taco inspected for the recall and was told it didn't meet the requirements. fast forward a couple years later and he takes it in for some problem ( a Toyota Whaaa???) and comes out of the shop FRAME ROTTEN DO NOT DRIVE. DO NOT DRIVE.

This is a guy that took a Stratus with the 2.7 over 300k miles and his god-tier Toyota turned to dust in less than 1/2 of that.

He has a Colorado now.

Rockauto is cheapest for a lot of stuff but not everything.

>Honestly I'd be looking at condition and upkeep rather than a particular make of small truck if I were in your shoes.
True. Most of the ones I find on Kijiji are high mile examples and/or generally look beat. But, if you keep a keen eye long enough, eventually you will find that creme puff of a truck owned by an old dude who dealer serviced everything, oil spayed it yearly, has all maintenance records, and is the only owner.

Trucks can live hard lives. I'll find that pampered one someday.

Sure, whatever floats your boat.

I've been down in rural Mexico for work and seen old D21s overloaded with ungodly amounts of produce, bouncing down dirt roads without a care in the world. They definitely earned my respect. To be fair old US domestics and similar age Toyota/Mazda trucks were down there doing the same thing.

But how do you haul an entire state?

Okay well I'm using rockauto as the common reference point for a source of parts, the Nissan parts are as cheap or cheaper than any other make, that was my point.

Nah.

I was in Afghanistan for 15 months fighting along side ANA and ANP forces. What did they drive? 2007+ Tacomas. Who paid for them? The US government of course- and I honestly don't see them wasting money on lowest bidder shit products- especially during the Bush era when we were rocking the latest oakleys, optics, and constantly rotating old equipment for newer shit (see MRAPS, IOTV's) etc etc. My point is that money was flowing at this time. Also, corpsman and ETT Marines regularly travelled with ANA in these things through the most rugged, sketchy, rockiest conditions (through creeks and fields, undeveloped mountain trails etc etc) loaded tf down with a DsHK, hella equip and ammo and probably about 6 or 7 haj in the back and 5 in the cab area. Never saw one struggle in these conditions, never heard or saw one break down.

Only time I ever witnessed one incapacitated first hand was during a night op when ANA was using their low-lum headlights and drove it off the side of a 60 foot cliff into a raging white water river (Pesh)...upside down. It was a fucking mess and I think there were only a couple survivors but I mean, that's another story for another thread.

Additionally EVERY car driven by the locals was a 80's or 90's Toyota Camry, corrolla, or fucking hilux loaded tf down worse than a 98 windstar headed to a quinceanera. Those people were poor as fuck dirt farmers and probably had to do just about everything short of suck dick to fill their tanks every other month so I doubt they had money to keep up with maintenance on their 300xxxk shitboxes beyond a yearly oil change.

Long story short, if things go in my favor with the VA in the next few weeks, I'll seriously be considering buying a previous to current or current gen Taco.

>fangirls will deny this