Redpill me on 2nd gens Veeky Forums

Alright, so ive got a bit of spare cash and was thinking of getting a 2nd gen camaro/firebird as a sunday driver while i fix em up.

What are typical problems with them? And what are some cheap simple mods? Dont really care about looks, probably gonna rattle can it if its paint is bad, i just want somethiny loud and different from my daily. Budget is 3k max in the Mobile Al area.

I have my eye on 3 of them, they have a 305, a 350, and a 400.

gulfport.craigslist.org/cto/6053559451.html

pensacola.craigslist.org/cto/6039962449.html

hattiesburg.craigslist.org/cto/6043006529.html

No comments?

They guzzle tons of gas for noise and little power (thank you smog.)

They are basically the todays 90s civic of the 80s

You want at least the 350, the 305 is a dog. Try to go for 400 though. These cars are old as shit, but don't shy away from em. Just be prepared to work on it a lot

Go for the 1975 it will be worth more because you can register it in California without taking a Hot load.

>red pill
Fuck t-tops unless you love t-tops and getting rained on your dick
>third gen owner

Why the fuck would i want to register it in that god forsaken place?

How much gas are we talking about? Id like to occasionally take it to the beach (about an hour drive) without costing an arm and a leg. If it does 15, id be happy.

Are they really that leaky or just the occasional drip?

If you don't mind your seat always being damp and your interior eternally smelling like wet dog shit it's not so bad.

You'd be lucky to get maybe 15 with a 305. I drive a 1978 with a 350 and th350 and I barely get over 10

ThisI bought a brand new seal and spent hours putting it in. It's not that the glass doesn't seal, you have to glue the seal in perfectly so the water drains from either side of the roof down the doors and out and it's damn near impossible. I have no idea where my problem is, I'm just gunna crush it and get a hard top shell someday.

Stay out of the throttle in 4th on the highway and you'll be fine. My turd gen qjet 305 gets about 15 highway if you drive like a normal person and don't get entranced by the WHOOOOOOOOP of the secondary barrels when you floor it which sounds so fucking good, even if you're not actually going anywhere all that fast. Open the secondaries at all and you'll be measuring it in gallons per mile.

Depends on a lot of things, if the car lived up north the weatherstripping won't be as cracked and worn out as one that sat in the sun all day. You can also buy new seals for $150-200 and they're not all that hard to replace, just tedious to really work them in just right.

If I was in the market to buy another one I wouldn't consider one with t-tops. Mine handles much better with its solid roof, weighs less, and doesn't leak. Not worth it to me since I rarely use the sunroof in my other car anyway. Too bright and hot to use t-tops/sunroof in a car where the AC is gimped because its meant for r12, not r134a.

EAST BOUND AND DOOOOWN

LOADED UP AND TRUCKIN

Because the groid you sell it to will want to.

Having owned several third gens I bought my first second gen two years ago. 79, 403 T/A and had T-tops. Here's what to expect.

1. 12mpg or less
2. Unreal amounts of clanking, rattles, etc. The car sounds like it is literally falling apart on any city street- especially if you have a poly bushing set, and if the car has had any suspension work done at all, it probably does
3. The under-dash will be a rats nest of spliced wires
4. If more than two of your gauges work, feel incredibly lucky

And these are the ones that cost $10k+ now.

If you find one for a few thousand dollars your feet will fall through the floorboards and you wont have a trunk pan.

Looks aside this proves my theory that the third gen is the shit. Great styling, perfect amount of technology IMO, fuckin buyers market thats for sure.

I'm thinkin of getting a third gen soon. How can I prepare my anus?

Make sure you don't occupy a smog state.

front end alignment
i used to own a 78' ta and it always had that issue
gas is a huge problem as well

i have a 307 in mine and its kinda gutless but gets up to 75 pretty quick on highway
>front end alignment
this, just did that today actually

slow inefficient and overall crap

you can always make it better as well

The 400 is a good engine to build on