Projects thread

Hey Veeky Forums, I posted this project a couple months ago asking for your guys opinions about it, and I got some good responses, so I figured I'd post again.
Quick rundown:
>1972 Honda N600
>was lifted, sitting on a suzuki samurai chassis with 33" tires
>decided to tear it down and build it into something different
>was originally gonna keep it lifted and make it a pre runner with long travel suspension, but decided instead to make it into a quick little street car
>pulled a nissan L24 out of a 240z and rebuilt it from top to bottom to use in this car
>plan on building it with a low ride height and some nice wide tires and good coilover suspension
Thats where I'm at currently with this build. Still have a lot of decisions to make in regards to basically every component of the vehicle, so it's a very open ended project at this point.
>cont.

A couple years back I bought a complete LSD rear end/subframe from a z32 300zx from pick n pull. I figured since i have it just sitting here I might as well try and use it in this project. So I took it and mocked it up underneath the body.
It is WAYY wider than this tiny little car, and the disks sit about 6" outside the fender wells on each side. Total track width is 64" for this rear end. I'm not 100% sure that this is the rear end that I'm gonna go with, but it would certainly be nice if I could use it. An alternative would be the rear end out of the 240z which is about 6" narrower but doesn't have LSD and isn't a 5 link like this one is

As you can see here, I'd need some wheels with a huge positive offset to try and suck the tires back underneath the car. It's gonna need some big ass wide body fenders as well. I wanted to go with some 15x9 wheels so that I could run some really wide tires, but I'm not sure if a 15" wheel will clear the brakes and calipers on this z32 rear end. So I might have to go with 16" or 17". Rims that big on this little car will look stupid though, so I'm trying avoid that if possible

I'll be cutting out the entire firewall and floorpan and building a custom chassis using the center section of the suzuki samurai framerails, mated to a tubular front and rear subframe. This L24 is a straight 6 so it's gonna be a fucking tight squeeze trying to fit it into a car that was originally designed for an air cooled 600cc 2-cylinder lol. It'll have a 5 speed manual of course.

I'm thinking that since I have to wide body it in order to fit the rear end, I could possibly go for a group B rally look like pic related. Add some fat side skirts and boxy fenders, maybe some air scoops? Any advice or opinions are welcome, I want to hear what you guys think I should do

stfu

I just measured the wheels from hub to hub front to rear and its ~82". If I stick with the Z32 rear end, it'll be probably close to 70" wide. I'm not quite sure how that's gonna affect the handling, having a near square wheelbase, but I know shifter karts use dimensions similar to this so it shouldn't be too much of an issue.

Here's what it would look like with some tires (not the ones I plan on using) set at 62" to the hub.

Hmm. The more I look at this, the more I think that this is too wide pull off. I could try narrowing the rear end by a couple inches, but that would probably expensive to get the half shafts cut down and re-splined...

I love that thing

I remember this, such a fun project. Love it.

Maybe a Miata rear end would fit better?

Bump

Well, I found some rims laying around my house that fit the Z axle, so I bolted them on. They're off some 90's chrysler and aren't anywhere close to what I'm gonna be running on this car. They are 16" rim and have the wrong offset and tire size. The plywood is a very rough example of how the widebody fender is gonna look

Bump

Found a $600 miata on craigslist, so I might just buy the and swap the front and rear suspension. This 300zx axle is just looking too wide

Love this

I remember your vehicle being posted on /ORG/ a few months back too.

Just post it there instead of continuously bumping this thread. We don't have any actual offroaders here for this thread to maintain traffic to keep itself bumped.

Ok for sure. I just figured that this car isn't considered "offroad" anymore since I pulled it off the 4x4 chassis

its not fast or anything but here it goes I guess
>bought 2002 lancer OZ
>paid 1250$
>original engine/trans with 194k
>burned oil like a motherfucker
>quart every 2 weeks at least
>hydrolocked during a storm
>pulled motor replaced with 80k 4g94(stock motor)
>car healthy and running strong ready for turbo
>gets stolen
>find it shits fucked
>start all over

2.1 4g64/63 head swap gonna have to wait

That's some crazy shit you got going on.

Damn that sucks. But you found another replacement engine already?

Do you mean after it was stolen or before? There's a lot of 4g94s around, they're in all the base lancers from 2002-2006. I got mine from LKQ.

The motor still seems okay after getting it stolen, my second gear grinds now though but other than that it seems okay but my transmission has nearly 200k on it so its on its last legs anyways.

Whoever stole it also did some rally apparently.

my headlights on the passenger side don't work at all. Nothing is getting power over there and my cruise control doesn't work, all the wires they were connected to were ripped out when whoever stole it crashed in a ditch.

None of this damage was there before besides the paint chipping on the edge of the fender. Fuck car thieves.

I have all the wiring diagrams Veeky Forums helps me fix my car. I don't want to get pulled over

you absolute fucking madman

magnificent build my man