/sthg/ - Sonic The Hedgehog General

Welcome to Sonic the Hedgehog General. Let's talk about Sonic games as well as the entire franchise including animation and comics. Share art, music, talk about new developments, discuss ROM hacks, speedrunning, and more

/sthg/ #674 - Blue Rat Edition

>Link CompilationDrawfag/Writefag Idea WallsNews/DevelopmentsRecent and Upcoming ReleasesReminder: Don't respond to shitposters. Report & ignore.

Other urls found in this thread:

youtu.be/96gTzBbydQc
youtube.com/watch?v=MGzhKV8SVIk&index=67&list=PLvNp0Boas721TSB-gLzJt6vOmTdRsX47x
youtube.com/watch?v=MO8s8rypQqc
youtube.com/watch?v=CvERHiTfx9w
youtu.be/DRlbbpWTC9g
youtube.com/watch?v=Gex_j_bfOt0
vndb.org/v20076
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

THUNDER, RAIN AND LIGHTNING

sonic is a slow blue rat

SONIC, HE CAN REALLY-

DANGER, WATER RISING.

CHANGE IS WHAT THE WORLD AWAITS

>blue rat
DELETE THIS

I like this one better.

youtu.be/96gTzBbydQc

So Team Rose has the most members out of all the teams, right?
>Amy.
>Cream (& Cheese.)
>Big.
>Blaze.
>Vector.
>Sally.

Post good sonic OSTs

youtube.com/watch?v=MGzhKV8SVIk&index=67&list=PLvNp0Boas721TSB-gLzJt6vOmTdRsX47x

>>Blaze.
>>Vector.
>>Sally.
Wut

cute

Also
>26 to #700

This would be better than the original, but I hate that voice effect on the chorus.

still not as bad as KS

Remember, they lost count, twice

youtube.com/watch?v=MO8s8rypQqc

still the best

Everything we know about Project 2017:

>Classic Sonic is back
>Modern Eggman seems to be the main villain or a strong antagonistic force (Maybe Classic will appear again)
>New gameplay
>New character
>No multiplayer
>Other characters are going to appear
>It's going to have a more serious tone (Take that as you will) compared to Generations and Lost world

Things we know about Mania:

>Longer than Generations
>Remixed zones that are almost "only-in-name"
>Story has a reason for the re-used zones
>The Boys may make a comeback

Blaze was Treasure Team Tango, Vector was Free Riders, and Sally is in the upcoming FF arc that has them tag along with her

youtube.com/watch?v=CvERHiTfx9w

REAL EGGMAN HOURS

SMASH DAT MF HEDGEHOG

I can see that, but it doesn't matter (to me, at least). I kind of gave up hope after Color Splash was announced. I may loved the first two games, along with SPM and CS (I kind of hate SS), but I just don't think Nintendo is ever going to bring back the formula that made Paper Mario great at first. I may or may not buy the next one that may appear in switch, but I doubt It'll be as great as the first two.
Live and Learn, user.

Blaze teamed up with Amy & Cream multiple times in the comics, Sally's teaming up with them in an upcoming arc, & Vector teamed up with them in Free Riders, although that was a one time deal.

I actually really like that part, but to each their own.
youtu.be/DRlbbpWTC9g

>Other characters are going to appear
They never said that.

>It's going to have a more serious tone (Take that as you will) compared to Generations and Lost world
Where was that said? It sounds likely but I don't remember anyone explicitly mentioning it.

Oh, so the only one that actually counts is Vector then

youtube.com/watch?v=Gex_j_bfOt0

I didn't mean to imply that the counter was wrong or anything, on the contrary I'm pretty sure it's right, but I don't really care to argue back and forth about if it is or not.

Team Rose exists in the comics too I think, so it depends what TR you're talking about, I guess.

>>Other characters are going to appear
I highly doubt it. Maybe we'll get an Amy or Knuckles cameo if we're lucky. The new character will probably be Sticks or Boom Sonic, probably the latter because it'd be received better
>>It's going to have a more serious tone (Take that as you will) compared to Generations and Lost world
I doubt that much more serious. It'll be Generations 2

It feels like none of the Archie characters outside of Sally get any love, really.

Compared to Gens or LW, the trailer was more serious than anything in either of the two games, desu.

Bunnie and Scourge get love. Because honestly, who really cares about the rest?

And why is that? Sure she's better in the newer comics now but people before just mainly like because of the facts that the artists back then made her look really humanoid and that she was mostly naked.

>Sonic's Inflation Adventure

>Sonic and Knuckles are back with a new adventure game. Go to the bar and hook up with various hedgehogs, and even go on an adventure or two.

At most we'll get end of Lost World serious. It has Classic Sonic and apparently Classic Eggman. It won't be THAT serious. At worst it'll be like the final cutscenes of Generations
This. Honestly I feel like anyone saying pre-reboot Sally was better just miss her being naked and forget/ignored how much of a fucking trainwreck her character was
I've seen some of the reboot cast (Mainly the Egg Bosses and especially Clove and Cassia) get a fair share of adulation and attention

If you could choose ONE character from the other continuities to be in the games, who would they be? ( Don't say Sticks. She's already in.)

I do.

And Scourge a shit.

Honestly, I would like Thunderbolt in the games.

forgot link:

vndb.org/v20076

Thunderbolt. You could change very little about her (Like, just make it so that she's Eggman's self proclaimed second in command when she's just someone that keeps following him. Basically Eggman's Amy) and make her fit. Her design works, her personality is over the top and goofy enough to fit in, she could work

Scourge. Legit think he could be a fun villain.

Where would he be from though?

Not this again. Didn't 1 or 2 end up with Sonic inflating out of jail and exploding or something? Didn't actually play the game just saw a Youtube video of the games.

So I honestly just started playing Sonic games like a month ago or so after a friend of mine wouldn't shut up about Sonic Mania.

Sonic 1 was pretty schizo in terms of level design and really didn't like that game, but Sonic 2 really improved everything and was an amazing game, Sonic 3 & Knuckles became on of my favorite platformers of all time.

But then I played the adventure games, A1 was ok, A2 was terrible. Question is, where do I go from here? Do I try the handheld games? Do I try Colors and Generations? or should I better wait for Mania?

I kinda want to see Bunnie. Her being a cyborg would be the perfect excuse to have her play like Sonic, like Tails using his namesake in the classic games, and Blaze's fire in Rush.

Play Heroes, than the handhelds.

Also, thoughts on the characters?

Eggman does some experiments with the Chaos Emeralds and/or Master Emeralds and/or some unspecified ancient artifact, Sonic gets involved, experiment goes haywire and creates an evil duplicate of Sonic. Would also kind of be a throwback to the Sega of America origin story with some Fleetway thrown in.

I guess that's true. Sally certainly feels a lot better post-reboot, rather than the mish-mash of traits and constantly shifting personalities she was before.

For a second I thought you were talking about Nicole and got really confused as to how she was "mostly naked" and figured you were referring to how she didn't wear gloves or shoes before, which i guess was pretty strange.

but kinda cute

The first Sonic Advance is very much like the classic games. The next two are pretty divisive.

Try the Advance trilogy. They're pretty good, although 3 is kinda shit. Colors and Generations are great. Rush 1 is amazing, Rush Adventure not so much.

Unleashed is something that you can try if you want, and it has some really fun stages, but most of the game is tedious.

Nicole in the nude.

While the pre-reset characters are kind of a mixed bag as far as quality goes, if you could bring one pre-reboot character to the post-SGW reality, who would it be?

it was pretty jarring when I saw Knuckles. S3K gave me the impression that while he was a bit dense, Knuckles liked to use trickery to go around rather than just being the muscle guy, but maybe that's just me.

A lot of things went too dark for my tastes, with cities being flooded, that whole stuff with the backstory of chaos, dunno, story in A1 was much darker than the one of the genesis titles for all the wrong reasons.

And A2 was even worse than the first one in that regard, Robotnik's taking the world hostage with a giant space laser made me laugh since he unintentionally reminded me of Dr. Evil. Shadow felt like he came right from a fan OC, and the Maria thing also felt out of place.

Alright will try the advance trilogy, then heroes and then colors and generations since I saw a mod that put Unleashed stages into that game, thanks.

Fiona Fox.

Scourge.

I made you something /sthg/

What is this supposed to be?

They did go a bit overboard with the darker tones later on. That being said, I still liked some of the stories in that game (Amy's, Gamma's, etc.)

That being said the tone in Unleashed is pretty good, & while the dialogue in Colors & Generations was ass, the tone is more fitting.

Also, how do you feel about Tails, Amy, Big etc?

>the tone for those two games is more fitting for the franchise than the Adventure games
Subjective.

I think Kukku and his army can work as secondary villains like the Deadly Six.

Sorry to hear you weren't big on the Adventure series. I agree entirely on Knuckles coming across as the trickery guy instead of the muscle.

Are you actually underage? I don't give a shit either way and due to the site's rules you probably wouldn't answer honestly regardless, but it just feels strange that someone could have gone this long without playing at least one of the Sonic games, and then picked them up on a whim, in this day and age. so actually, don't answer that

Glad to hear you really enjoyed S3K though, you're quite likely to have fun with the Advance series. Be warned, 2 has a fair amount of pits (it's still pretty solid overall) and 3...well, you'll form your own opinion when you play it.

Either Hope or Beau. Both because they never were used to their fullest

But they are from the games.

Finitivus. Knuckles needs a villain of his own.

>SA1
>dark
I can give you SA2, but SA1 doesn't even get as dark as the Dragon Ball series could get, and that was mostly light-hearted.

I actually disagree. While Sally was absolutely hot garbage in the Dark Ages, post-reboot she just feels like a bland non-entity whose only role is to either spout exposition or have an irrelevant moment of self-doubt. Gallagher/Decesare Sally remains best Sally.

Th-thanks?

I like the image, but what is it referencing?

Yeah, games that are as canon as Chronicles. Actually, I think Imperator Ix would be a good character to bring back. He'd serve as a secondary villain along with Eggman and give Knuckles personal reasons to fight.

I'll agree that post-reboot Sally needs work, and that Decesare Sally a best, but on the whole, Sally now is better than she used to be. Granted, that's because she's not a tumorous mass of bad characterization and even worse development, but still
I consider them comic characters at this point. Same with Mighty and Ray.

Both of the Adventure games' tone were just about right if you asked me, but to each their own. However, you might want to avoid 06 and Shadow. Unleashed, Colors, and Generations might fit for your taste then.

I liked Tails since he's still portrayed as this prodigy kid who can create just about anything that his great mind can think of, but he's still a kid and thus, naive and innocent.

Same with Amy, while she's still as obsessed with Sonic like she was portrayed in CD (played the steam version, I actually liked it) and her roles in both adventures was neat, since she resolved everything through her kindness.

Cat was just there, I don't understand why he got added, but alright. Rouge felt like an odd addition to the series.

Nope, but grew up with a SNES, then moved to the PS, then GC and PS2 and then to the PC. I honestly don't why I never played the sonic games until now, maybe I felt for the meme that sonic was never good and just avoided them. Kinda odd since I like to play tons of weird shit like the void or pathologic.

it was much darker than the games I played prior, basically introducing the destruction of ancient cvilizations, flooding cities, and chaos shenanigans. A2 just took that darker element and cranked it up to 11

Hope you enjoy the balanced characterization because post-Heroes, it goes out the window for everyone except Shadow, Rouge, and Omega (Who you haven't encountered yet. He is amazing and the best part of Heroes)

Big the Cat was added due to fan demand for the next "next-generation" Sonic game to include fishing mechanics. Similarly, Gamma's shooting levels were also included for the same reason. The demand for shooting got so prevalent that fans demanded for Sonic to use a gun. Sega didn't want their family-friendly mascot to actually shoot things, and gave Sonic's guns to Shadow, resulting in the Shadow the Hedgehog video game.

If you think SA2 is too dark, avoid Shadow. It's retarded and not even fun to play. Play 06 if you want, but it's regarded as one of the worst games of all time for a reason

>introducing the destruction of ancient cvilizations
That had actually been in the JP manuals of the games prior.
And I still find it ridiculous that something that could be found in a kids' Saturday morning cartoon could be too dark for your tastes.

The story of Sonic Adventure actually has it's roots in Sonic 3 and Knuckles. The Japanese manual for the game describes in brief the history an ancient civilization that were wiped out after trying to abuse the power of the Master Emerald and the seven Chaos Emeralds. Sonic Adventure took this backstory and expanded on it.

>A2 just took that darker element and cranked it up to 11
Not really. Like SA1, it was getting dark near the end of the game. However, it was darker compared to SA1.

Glad you hear you liked them. Also after Heroes, the characterization goes to hell. And regarding Rouge, they were kinda going for a rival to Knuckles I think, but now she's pretty much Shadow's sidekick.

Oh, & if you don't like dark tones in your Sonic, avoid Shadow & 06 like the plague.

An excerpt from the Sonic 3 Japanese manual ---

At the same moment, while relaxing on the beach, Sonic found a small ring washed up on shore. Sonic looked at the ring carefully, and noticed some ancient characters carved on it.

The ring reminded Sonic of a legend he once heard about a "mystery island."

In an ancient time, the "mystery island" was part of the main continent. A people with an extraordinary culture inhabited it. That civilization had built a peaceful and happy society using the energy of something they called "The Mighty Stone". But at a certain point, a faction of dark-minded elders tried to steal the energy of the stone, and by accident made that energy explode.

The civilization was wiped out in a second, erased from history. Time passed, and a god descended from the sky to the newly created "mystery island". The sky god restored part of the civilization to the island, and threw the "Mighty Stone" into the open sky...

A ring washed up on the shore - the legend of the "mystery island" - Sonic, feeling his excitement build, made his preparations for another adventure.

>Basically Eggman's Amy

That's a shame then, I actually liked things from the adventure games, my gripes are with the tone of those two games and stuff like big the cat and gamma's levels in A1 and tails and robotnik's levels in A2.

That sounds like SEGA had some pretty horrible management back then. It's like if id software added a racing segment in Doom 2 just because the fans wanted it. I think that Tails, Sonic and Ammy's characterization was on spot, and that with a focused team and actual production values, a more light hearted adventure game could work.

Didn't know that, it makes sense considering that you go through ancient ruins in S3K. Does hints at any of that though?

That could work, if Knuckles was also portrayed as the trickster that he was in S3K. Another thinh that I forgot to say, in S3K it was also clear that Knuckles liked to laugh, and you don't really see that in the Adventure games.

But based on you guys comments, I assume that all the stuff that I've heard about Sonic 06 and Shadow being horrible disasters was true then?

>I assume that all the stuff that I've heard about Sonic 06 and Shadow being horrible disasters was true then?

Bruh, every last word of it was the truth. If you're curious enough you could play them, but just know, they're god-awful.

Not him but I only started paying attention to the series in 2011, after accidentally watching a funny video on Youtube. I had virtually not played any other game until then.

What they were going for is Rouge being a Jewel Theif-esque Treasure Hunter that believes that all the world's gems are hers to keep, including the Master Emerald, which is under the protection of it's guardian, Knuckles, who's also a Treasure Hunter.

It's an emblem I use in For Honor. You only get 5 layers to work with.

Oh. Nice.

Shadow wasn't necessarily a disaster, at least not the GC version. Its biggest offenses are being tedious and having such a dumb story.

>Big the Cat was added due to fan demand for the next "next-generation" Sonic game to include fishing mechanics
First time I've heard of this. Is that actually documented somewhere? Like, Adventure is from 1998, how did you even measure "fan demand" then, when the internet wasn't anywhere near as widespread as today?

CHAOS VULT

According to Iizuka in some interview somewhere, Big was just supposed to be the opposite of Sonic and the others being so high-energy and in a rush. His relaxed and slow fishing gameplay was meant to be like a breather or whatever from the SPEED and excitement of the other characters.

I think he's just making up BS. Big was added so that there was a reason to use the Dreamcast fishing peripheral.

What emulator(s) and settings are optimal for playing these games?

I think that I will stay away from those games then, I can cope with a game being horrible in terms of gameplay if the script actually makes up for everything else, like Pathologic

I always use Kega Fusion. If I'm playing Sonic 3, I think Sonic 3 Complete is a must.

If you ask me, Sonic '06's story is awesome, especially Shadow and Silver's, and how it all cultimates in the Last story. Sonic's story is just mostly dull and repetitive by comparison.

Well, I'm glad to hear you don't really hate the Adventure games even if the tone of those games really bothers you that much, but yeah, 06 and Shadow took those tone and crank them up to 11 and are considered a few of the worst games in this series.

It takes a lot for me to hate a game, I can see what the adventures games tried to do, but they failed, at least in my opinion, thanks to experimenting with the new 3D mechanics, and the story telling.

If I had to say games that I absolutely despise, it would be those games that try to be as close to movies as possible, implementing bland, uninspired gameplay just for the sake of telling a story, like Quantum Break which btw, ran horribly with a goddamn 1070. Nothing wrong with wanting to have a good script in a videogame, but jesus christ, use the medium to tell that story rather than fill everything with cinematics.