youtube.com/watch?v=diTUPGCBobA
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

I am not a lucky man

This will be a shitpost-free thread!

Post progress and discuss your games!

:vomit:

>implying

>tfw

I'm trying to find some information on how to create my own version of the procedural skybox in Unity
But every search result is just somebody saying "lol just give the default procedural skybox a directional light"

Does anyone have any good resources where I can learn about shaders or skyboxes?

Aren't they referring to the OP image

!emote hurl

But that isn't the real vomit command

daily reminder that cascading your Update()s in Unity is over five times faster than having MonoBehaviour call each object's Update() independently

I'd love to make music for games. I realize there is a flood of composers and there is basically no demand. I still get contacted a fair bit but nothing ever materializes. Why do gamedevs seek out composers when they're still in a concept phase with no idea how to actually make a game? Is it just because it takes no effort but still feels like progress? I'd happily dedicate a shitload of time to compose for some shitty game no one ever plays as long as it gets finished for once.

there's a real vomit command?

How new do you have to be to need a >tfw

Post example(s) of your work and we'll talk

>why do amateurs fail out
hmm

Imagine trying to shoehorn music into a game that already had an established world.. IMO better to start with music at the concept stage so it fits

post soundcloud

Will your game have modding support?

Nah, don't really wanna blacklist myself as a cunt.

Since Object Oriented Programming is the best kind of programming for games and Java is all object oriented would that mean Java is the best programming language for making games?

Because music affects a lot of the game's atmosphere.

enhanced interrogation techniques

it has snap to over the shoulder aiming now, not sure if people like that or older style TPS control schemes instead.

What do you mean by this?
Calling base.Update() ?

I love that Monolith Dev. What exactly is the mechanic?

any of you guys have advice on making 2d background tiles and whatnot? I'm working as a spriter for a SS13 project, and for the life of me, I can't figure out how to make decent terrain at all.

>Guys why wont anyone let me make their music
>No you can't see my totally real music
At least you're honest

He literally posted this. Holy shit.

boards.fireden.net/vg/thread/140831909/#140846917

>Imagine trying to shoehorn music into a game that already had an established world

Honestly? As a composer music is pretty much the least important thing about a game. I don't see how any other aspects of development would be seriously affected by the musical direction. Sure lots of musicians are lazy as fuck but it still shouldn't take a considerably long time. A game should at least be in a working state before you need to think about music.

FINALLY a wiz op picture

>Nov 2015

Literally years.

boards.fireden.net/vg/thread/123826730/#123855958

Levels will now have letter ranks (A, B, C) based on how many seeds you got and if you rescued the tomato. Still gotta juice it up though

Anyone care to share their recommended tutorials for character modeling in Maya? Low-poly is preferred, but I can extrapolate from high-poly, too.

Started on a melee weapon. You can mash the attack key to do the push, or you can hold it down to do a launcher.

I also made it so you can knock enemies into each other, I think I might make knocking enemies into traps a thing now.

>1024x768

Wow.

why does your character turn into a pointer LOL

Like there aren't a shitton of musicians climbing over each other to make music for games. Any hack can slap together serviceable music these days. Lots more failed musicians than failed game devs.

I remember I posted to reddit maybe like 6 years ago looking to music in /r/gamedev and got 3k listens and a dozen dudes after my services (which all amounted to nothing). If I did that now I'd be downvoted into oblivion for blatant self promotion.

Musicians need to step their game up and innovate
Give the devs different versions of the same song we can fade between when its tense, or you get spotted by an enemy, etc

Because he doesn't have sprites for those movements.

Repostin from dead thread

Updated the full magic teleport attack from Apprentris.

Play it here
attaboy.itch.io/apprentris

He can't keep getting away with it!

Those card animations look nice and smooth. The webm makes it look like the game would feel good to play control-wise

Haven't seen your game before, but it sure is charming. Tell me about it

The dev really needs to establish what those conditions would be beforehand tho.

>Lots more failed musicians than failed game devs.
You don't come around these parts often, do you? If there's one thing we have in spades, it's failed game devs.
Anyways music is the one portion of game dev I can't do, and I know I'm not alone there. Programming is fine, gameplay is done, and my art is continuously improving. But I have zero experience with music. If you really want to work with game devs, then you're going to have to start shilling your music.

I really enjoyed DJ Sona'a design in League. Her music replaces everyone's BGM on the team and, as the game progresses to the climax point, the music starts to become more lively and energizing.

To design such a system a more involved relationship between a musician and game designer/programmer must be established. This can't be one-sided.

Did you get that from /pol/?

>it's Lucio's icond but a cat instead of a frog
Wow! So Original!
sona's older than lucio, isn't it

Easily the most disgusting thing I've ever seen in my life. What kind of retard would post that like it's real progress?

post dev music
youtube.com/watch?v=cNiNyuTq4iQ

Music tells a player what they should be feeling in that moment. Different elements in music can call up specific events or stories that happened in the game already. Perhaps the music portrays a certain character unseen by the player's eyes.
It can point towards motivation, emotion, or can be used as a literal representation of something that the music is attached to.
Boss fights are usually intense, hence why the music has a higher tempo, includes more percussion, sometimes a choir or even some brass instruments to push urgency. Stringed instruments are used for tension, apprehension, or suspense. I can go on, the point is:
Music is equally important to story and gameplay. Each element goes hand in hand to help each other create an experience for the player.

Composing music itself, i will say, is much "easier" when both story and gameplay has been worked out. But there's no reason it couldn't take precedence.
Music can change the entire feel of a game in an instant. Horror games become less scary without music or sounds.

>LFOs and tons of filters
what did he mean by this?

I've been trying to do this for a long time and kinda gave up, yeah. A few years ago there was a flood of dudes shilling their music but no games actually getting finished.

lol how lazy

A filter effects the tonal properties of a sound by removing (and often adding to) certain frequencies from the harmonic spectrum. An LFO (or low frequency oscillator) modulated (or controls) the frequencies this filter affects (or other parameters like pitch of the note or volume).

idk but u can hack in our game if you want

based amit still kicking

www-cs-students.stanford.edu/~amitp/gameprog.html

>t. completely out of touch with how gamedev works

What does this "t." thing stand for? I understand the context.

Short for a word in Finish that means "signed"

tervesin or something
it's from a swedish chan board, then came through poll.

Item is on offer. Shoot die to roll it, spending the listed amount. If the result is 1 or 6, you get the item, otherwise your money is wasted.

Price increases with floor and number of wins at that particular room.

no devving by the rock

>you are less likely to lose it than to get it

i see most players just skipping those after the first time or two

look at it this way: let's say you're playing xcom enemy within. would you EVER take a 335 shot? because a 1 or 6 on a d6 is a 33% shot. and thats not a shot worth taking. ever

I have only one question
when does this become a game?

Is there still an /agdg/ soundcloud list?

What genres/moods would you recommend making for a musical demo reel?

Is this a wizard lounge simulator?

Has anybody in here used Urho3D? Is it any good?

tsvarych, it means "dearest", sorta like "bae" in english

if it's 1/3 the price of the usual price it might be worth it depending on how badly you want the item and how much spare money you have to waste. Especially if there's items like in Isaac that let you increase your chances and such.

Thanks!

Your sprite work is really good m8

youtube.com/watch?v=diTUPGCBobA

never

yeah, come hang if you want

url is: wiz.zone

Never heard of it.
The site lists no example games.
The forums have some traffic.
The feature list is at least decent.

You could make a game in it if you tried. But why would you choose something that has a small community and few if any successful projects?

still sounds like something not worth taking a gamble on ever

again, would you EVER take a 33% shot in xcom? would you even take a 50% shot? how about an 80%? personally, i settle for nothing less than 90% and get mad when I can't secure a 100% and am out of rockets/grenades for guaranteed damage

You miss 100% of the shots you don't take.

You miss 100% of the shots that weren't guaranteed in the first place.

Don't waste your time firing when you can throw a grenade, fire a rocket, call an airstrike, or cancel the mission altogether.

>But why would you choose something that has a small community and few if any successful projects?

Because some guy on IRC recommended it to me.

Was wondering if any of you guys had experience with it.

Since I want to make a retro first-person game I'm tempted to just use a Doom source port engine (like GZDoom) instead.

>Cancelling a mission because you don't wanna miss a single shot.

: (

That is just the worst.

To be honest this is exactly why I don't like xcom, I just can't stand the dice roll shots. Too much randomness like that could possibly punish good plays, and sometimes reward bad plays.
However, that dice rolling for an item in the game isn't so bad, it's basically just a gambling room. It doesn't actually determine if you kill an enemy or not. As far as I can tell the actual combat is still all on the player's skill.

the difference between this and shooting in xcom is that you CANNOT afford to miss in xcom.

This is just money, which is not key to winning, and you should have some amount you can waste if you've been doing okay beforehand. (I'm just assuming so, though, maybe his game has money be really important).

if I get a bad map load or an unfair first couple activations, i savescum out and restart the whole mission, yeah
if soldiers werent so expensive in terms of time, i'd sooner allow a squad wipe than allow a single pip of damage to come back to base

You can't afford to miss in some 2 bit indie game either
gotta get that WR speedrun, man
are you bad at video games or something? reset until you git gud

Dogs can jump up one tile ledges in more scenarios like at end of webm and respond to player sooner in general. All enemies do player checks from their eyes instead of from their origins.
Also shown is our nauseating debug view.

You'll get recommended Unity, Game Maker, and Unreal Engine, in that order. While none of them is really suited to what you want to make, they all have the advantage of a huge community, and a dev team that's paid. There are a lot of engines out there that are technologically equivalent or better to the big three, but without the support and community.

That said, if you're making a doomlike, just mod doom isnt a bad plan.

>RNG isn't a balancing mechanic
Googem put your name back on.

I starts at 25% of the price the item would be in the shop, increasing by 25% for each win.

For reasons I cannot properly articulate, this feels entirely different to me than accuracy rolls in a strategy game or rpg

probably because the failstate is not horrible murder by alien

>just mod doom isnt a bad plan.
Modding is not game dev.

Remember is better

lisa, dota 2 are very popular mods off the top of my head

Here's a question: say, hypothetically, I fucked up my game (hypothetically).
The game doesn't crash, and it runs fine, but I did something very stupid while making it and it uses more memory than it really has any right to. Again, it's not a stupid amount of memory, the game still runs perfectly fine and all. But it could be better.
I know how to fix the problem, but it requires rebuilding the backbone of my game. I would have to run through all of my objects, assets, and remake all of my levels.
Is it worth fixing? Could you live with just leaving something like this? I don't know if I can, but I really don't want to spend the next month remaking everything

Weird Discord people are trying to convince me to write my own engine from scratch but I know better than to listen to their nodev siren song.

>You'll get recommended Unity, Game Maker, and Unreal Engine

I know. Also, fuck that. I was considering UE4 but I heard producing moddable games in it is not really a thing. I was also considering Unity but the map editing story for Unity seems to be really weak. Game Maker is full-stop not a 3D engine, unless something has changed in the recent past.

>That said, if you're making a doomlike, just mod doom isnt a bad plan.

Yeah, pretty much! If I ever do want to make a prop that's a 3D model, though, I'm worried that I'd have to fight the engine to do that.

But what if you only use an existing open-source game engine and keep none of the same assets, familia?

As long as this doesn't give the player a bad experience its totally fine. Test it on some weaker computers to make sure.

>probably because the failstate is not horrible murder by alien
the failstate is a significantly harder game where you are vastly more likely to lose because you didnt get an op weapon

what is the best and easiest way to make a lot of money making games?

>2017
>But it could use less ram!
Unless you're wasting like 2gbs, you shouldn't give a shit.

What's the mistake and why would you have to rewrite everything?

Understand how resources are spent deving, then do market research and find a minimal viable product.

Considering that ways to spend money are finite, this isn't quite true

Modding. Is. Not. Game. Dev.

Well, does it work? Based on what you've said, it looks like it.

People usually release software with the warning, that any damage cause by the software can not be blame on the developer, so you are safe here also.

I have only played one really fucked up GM game so far, which simply crashed, but kept on running in the background. I didn't notice this first, and I kept on restarting the thing, which lead to a moment where +10 instances of the game was running in the background causing extreme slowdown to the system. So if your game collects its mess after it's closed, I don't think you should worry about it.