I might need Veeky Forums's help...

I might need Veeky Forums's help. My mom bought an '01 beetle off craigslist and didn't tell me until I got to her house that it can only drive in reverse. I have no idea how to fix it. What could be wrong, Veeky Forums?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=MB4jHQiWCRA
youtube.com/watch?v=BOTH2ehTQXg
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

move the engine to the front boot

Does it only move in reverse gear or can you not engage anything except reverse?

Either way, tranny rebuild/swap.

This is a very important question that needs to be answered to hwlp.you

Go to the previous owner and beat him with a baseball bat till he takes it back. $3k repair at least.

only moves in reverse. it's an automatic by the way.

how the fuck did she test drive it? how the fuck did she even buy it?

where is the car anyway? how did she get it home?

tranny is fucked. good luck

she didn't. she impulse bought and regretted it the next day.

so where is the car?

Get a salvage or remanned transmission and torque converter. Blow out the trans cooler lines.

If it was a diesel you could get the monies from VW.

See VW forums for specific info. This is not a VW forum. VWVortex is decent.

Used trans will be well under a grand if you shop around. Don't forget Ebay.

two mexicans who couldn't speak english towed it there.

OP's mom bought it as-is, not the sellers responsibility. It's a 16 year old used car, shit breaks. You want a car thats reliable and mechanically perfect? Get your checkbook out and get down to the new car dealership.

Also hasn't been disclosed if she intentionally bought it this way or what she paid for it. Probably needs a transmission. Looks like the transmission is $450 to $550 on ebay plus labour to install.

how would that get me the monies?

>you can't get a reliable car from CL
you sure as hell can you just gotta not be a fucking retard

well. technically. she thought it *didn't* reverse as that's what the ad said and she said to herself "I can have billy fix that and in the mean time drive it like that". I told her no but she did it anyway and now it turns out it *only* goes in reverse.

Yea, the transmission is fucked. call up junkyards to get a price on a used unit and a local mecanic for the price of a transmission swap.

we know a mechanic with a shop who'll let us use it for free. that's not the problem. But do you think we can rebuild it or does it need a whole new one?

Small claims court would take this case.

it probably needs a whole new one desu

considering you have to ask here, rebuilding might not be a good option for you, and the swap would prolly make it more reliable.
why don't you take these questions to a mechanic in the first place?

for one, why would she buy a car that doesnt even move forward
and its probably cheaper to swap the trans out vs rebuild it, although the rebuild would last longer if it is even rebuild-able
also OP it better be a TDI or none of this is even worth it

have you tried pressing in the clutch pedal and selecting the right gear?

also i forgot to mention that the early 2000s auto beatle transmissions had issues
if you swap it, its just going to break again
not sure if a new rebuild kit would fix the problem they have because im not even sure what the problem is. just something ive heard about

1) Pics of your mom

2) That's what she deserves for buying an used Volkswagen

3) The point above is also relevant if the car was new

Check the transmission fluid. If it looks bad (smells burnt, has shit in it, not a clearish pinkish color) replace it or fill it.

Make sure all electrical connections are there. Reset your cars computer by leaving the battery unplugged for around half an hour or longer. Check the transmission solenoid...

If all else is lost, the transmission can be toast.

Also. If that's the car in pic, that's amazing that the VW Blue paint isn't shit by now. I swear all Jettas and Beetles from that generation used the shittiest paint and clear coat.

>my mom bought an 01 beetle
Sure smells like poverty in here

On the topic of your transmission

Don't buy a vw next time

Did they even make manual of those? Swap a manual transmission on them, the early 00s were still a sucky period for slushbox transmissions.

Your mom is literally retarded. I hope she forgets it only goes in reverse and backs over a cliff, don't need her breeding any more than she already has.

of course they made a manual. It's just a VW Golf with a different body.
I honestly wouldn't mind picking up a new Beetle some day, so long as it's a stick.
There was a 4 speed automatic, a 5 speed manual, and a 6 speed manual (specific only to the Beetle Turbo S).
youtube.com/watch?v=MB4jHQiWCRA

There were a few engines stateside, not sure about elsewhere.
2.0L SOHC 8V I4 (most likely what OP has) - 115 HP
1.8L DOHC 20V I4 Turbo - 150 HP
1.8L DOHC 20V I4 Turbo (Turbo S) - 180 HP
1.9L SOHC 8V I4 Turbo Diesel - 90 HP

The Turbo models were actually surprisingly quick. And since it's a MK4 Golf underneath, VR6 swaps are bolt-in simple and fit under the hood. I still love seeing these things because I remember all the hype for the bug when it first came out. EVERYONE was talking about them.

And in 2005, there was a facelift so all the engines were dropped except the diesel. The diesel was dropped in 2006. From 2005-2011 the only engine (aside from 05-06 diesels) was the 2.5L DOHC 20V I5 making 150 HP.

youtube.com/watch?v=BOTH2ehTQXg

Hahahaha your mom is a fucking retard!

Private party sales don't work that way, enjoy getting fucking shot