Toyota solara 2001

Got myself a used toyota solara 2001 for 2k
got out today and smelt like something was burning maybe oil? what do

Other urls found in this thread:

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Toyota_AZ_engine#2AZ-FE
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

Kill yourself for buying such a shit car AND not having it checked by a mechiac

why is it a shit car

I'm going to take it in to a mechanic but what can i expect....

Shut up

OP it's not a shit car unless you wanted to race it

because my toaster is more interesting.

It's fucking slow, shit handling and it looks bland as fuck. You would've been better off buying a civic. But if it's burning oil you're fucked. All you can do is have it checked out and hope for the best

reeeeeeeeeee i just needed a cheap commuter car you fucking autistic children
Yeah no i didn't want to race... I just need to know what to ask the mechanics when i bring it in so i don't get fucking screwed

oh fug hope for the best huh...
damn it
it has a new stereo system new brakes and new tires i thought i was in luck
fuck my ass man

go fast or go home faggot

also

>smells of burning oil
>good car

PICK ONE

Dealership or private? If dealership take it back now while you still can, burning oil is a sign it's on its last legs

Also how did you not notice that before buying the car? Did you not test drive it?

Didn't start smelling bad for two days im not even sure if it is burning oil
no private seller
It didn't smell like it when i tested and i did a pretty long test run too
took it on the freeway and did 80 for 15 minutes then brought it back to the guy. didn't smell a thing

it only has 130,000 miles on it too...

Right. which is exactly what civics are, dumbass

Next time have it checked. Sometimes people will put new tires, new brakes, etc to cover up the fact that the car is a fucking mess. Now you know

Pray it's not burning oil. Take it to the shop.

It could just be a leak. Cars that old, you can never know for sure. But if it's an oil leak, god bless you lol. Only advice I can give you is have the guy point out everything to you, and the more detail he gives the better. That means he's not trying to fuck you

good civics have ricer tax around here

fuk man how much are we talking

You're telling me you couldn't find a solid civic for 2k? I find that really hard to believe. I'm guessing you gave up, your dad probably gave you some bullshit advice and this brought this fuck up and f a car instead? If you're going cheap, you go civic. End of discussion

Make sure the oil filter is on correctly and tight. Also, was the oil just changed? The engine might be burning away some soil that's actually on it's surface.

>good civics have ricer tax around here
Not if you go for a 2001-2005 7th generation model.
Ricers avoid them because they switched from a double wishbone front suspension to macpherson struts.
The struts aren't bad, but the geometry Honda chose for the front suspension was compromised, and was fixed on the 2006 models. But so long as you're not racing, the Geometry fuckup isn't a real issue.

I had an oil smell in my old Mazda. Leaky oil pressure sensor. Bitch to change at the back of the motor. It smells less like oil...because the 20 year old valve cover gasket leaks.

Yes i get it i should have got a civic i couldn't find one. and the one or two i did find either the owners never answered my multiple calls or they had something wrong with them. There is no use in being so fucking pissy over it
I'll check the oil filter tomorrow before I go off to work. From what i've read it good be leaky gasket rings or something like that. Fixing it runs in the 2000s.......fml

And let me guess, the guy you brought this piece of shit from told you nothing was wrong with it? At the price range, there's always something wrong with it. At least with a civic, it'll be cheap unless it's a fucking disaster of a car

>2001 toyota

Yeah, its burning oil
They all do

Well this is my first used car... i tried to get it right. guess my wallet is going to hurt.
So what should i do...

>So what should i do...

Clean PCV valve
Put in a quality high mileage oil
Drive it until the engine fails

Just because an older car consumes oil doesnt automatically mean that its on its deathbed.
You are stuck with the car, just drive it

You're fucking retarded if you think you can't get a functioning Solara for 2k or less. OP may have just bought a bad one. Move the fuck on, OP already bought this car

Praying for you bro. Honestly just go see what's wrong, maybe take it to a few places to make sure you're not getting fucked.

Yeah okay, and how long have you been working for Toyota?

I'm assuming it's the 2.4L 4 cylinder, right? That would make it the 2AZ-FE engine, which is known for oil problems. The problem was identified by Toyota as a problem with the piston rings, which means the engine has to come apart to replace them. This is a common issue on 2.4L Toyota Camry's, Scion tC's, and 2008+ Scion xB's, etc.

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Toyota_AZ_engine#2AZ-FE

hey OP, nobody has mentioned this to you yet, so you may as well know.

The toyota solara, in some markets known as the toyota camry solara, shares its internals with.... the camry of the same generation. Guess what problem the camry frequently has?

Valve cover gasket leaks.

Guess what leaking oil sitting on top of your engine block does when it gets hot enough?

After you get done driving it, let it cool down a tad and see if theres any residue around the line on the top of the engine block, or if the smell is coming from under the hood itself. If the leak is on the top, all you'll have to do is replace your valve cover gasket, you can do it with a socket wrench in 30 minutes. should be 8 screws at 20? ft/lbs and then replace a rubber band and it's good for another 50k miles.

If it's bottom end, you're fucked matey.

Well I suppose the last half hour.

>Toyota still insists that burning 1 quart of oil every 1200 miles is "normal"

its a camry coupe

>got out today and smelt like something was burning maybe oil?

Does it smoke the whole time its running?
Sometimes shit gets up on your exhaust and smells weird. Its not going to develop a oil burning problem in 2 days that you somehow couldnt smell the day you test drove it.

Even if it eats oil internally like a lot of that era toyotas do, itll still run a long time. It just gets shittier performance and fouls up your cats and spark plugs.

For only 30 bucks ill do that myself thanks
Thanks man i'm going to fucking need it
Yeah thats what i read
>mfw it's not
Yeah i knew the camry thing
ill do that tomorrow hoping it isn't the bottom end...
No smoke so i don't think.. My buddy and I both were there checking it out. when we both got out tonight he was like " you smell that" and i was like "yup"