Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=vpFgH4_S2Yk&t=1s
google.com/search?q=iasa frames&ie=utf-8&oe=utf-8
jasonpkgames.tumblr.com/
agdgminicollab.neocities.org/)
xen-dance.tumblr.com/post/157456280372/xens-game-dev-resource-compilation
clyp.it/ucdqdchz
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

Artist available here, looking for a game to work on. Interested to hear about your game!

Just hit me up, can't wait to get started!

Why not have both?

Is it possible to make realtime lighting in Unity look good, or should I just stick to baked?

Sent ;)

hi, there havent been any update from me for a very, and i mean very long time but today i post gameplay of pre-alpha version of ranDungeon. its public for download too with debug commands.

gameplay here:
youtube.com/watch?v=vpFgH4_S2Yk&t=1s

what's working and implemented?
-character stats
-leveling up and improving skills
-equipment
-items system
-skills for use in combat
-monsters scaling
-item randomization (with textures)
-game saving and loading
-drawing custom textures directly in game
-levels generating

and lots lots more, if anyone has any questions im willing to chit chat.

how about working on ranDungeon? i really could use help of an pixel-art artist.

I would like to make a Castlevania 2d game cross over puzzle game

Don't really know where I'm going with this yet but first person driving.

Grabbed a free car from the asset store and so far this seems to work a lot better on my current wheel settings compared to the last one.

combo system, how can I improve this? I'm really not satisfied with it

first person car demolition derby.

I don't understand, why not move the door to the right spot? Not making your level a non-euclidean nightmare is just basic level design.

Can I get a quick rundown on argiedev?

google.com/search?q=iasa frames&ie=utf-8&oe=utf-8

Let the player chain attacks together more quickly by allowing them to interrupt the ending of previous attacks in the combo.

The animations are too smoothly transitioned to be impactful.

Wind up / wind down can be slower if you want, but the actual stab has to be instantaneous/very fast to feel impactful.

good idea, thanks!

Your character returns to neutral position after every hit. You need to go directly into the next attack instead.

Thanks erryone who gave me useful feedback on my trailer last thread, just what I needed

Also if anybody wants to fill me in on this recent drama feel free, I'm out of the loop and could use a kek when I get back from the gym

what is a frame?

In 2D, one single image. Dunno what 3D tools would call it, I thought it'd be "keyframe" and then you set tween durations or something.

the f in fps

Someone on /agdg/ just asked what a frame is.

And someone answered seriously.

I'm stupefied.

A brief moment of purity in an endless sea of bloodshed. The culmination of man's history.

Foxdev hasn't been around in ages. I follow him on tumblr but he hasn't posted gamedev progress in a while.
Archerdev is usually around, but he's not working on a game as far as I know.
Blancodev left /agdg/, he's usually found in /v/'s gamedev threads.

I don't know any other argie devs

i tried to think of a bantz response first but it was too stupid/deep

thanks man.

Too bad G* is still shitting it up.

post game progress guys

Real life got in the way so I didn't get much done and now it's too late.

forgot webm

Yeah that could totally be done, although I was hoping there'd be a solution that didn't require it. I was hoping to find a way to freely change camera angles without awkward player confusion

I was thinking something along the lines of the Interstate games.

Stick a few guns to the car and shoot other cars up. So kinda like a demolition derby but with guns!

Make it so that the input the player used to enter the room is temporarily relegated to moving their character in the direction they entered the room from. Once they release that key, reset directional inputs to their proper directions.

It might seem counterintuitive at first, but it's a trick that a lot of oldish games with fixed camera angles used. It becomes perfectly intuitive after a relatively short time, if the player even notices it at all.

----[ Recap ]----
Game:Elemental Knight
Dev:user
Tools:Unity
Web:jasonpkgames.tumblr.com/
Progress:
+ Finished the overall layout for the tutorial
+ Started work on the cutscenes for the area
- Nothing, surprisingly

Anyone have some logo design protips? Here's the old one for reference

did you get it to work?

New dev here.

I got from zero to this today (I don't feel like downloading webmcam tonight but it procedurally generates huge caverns, places the player object within them, and allows for grid-based movement that currently uses the arrow keys but could easily be extended to be mappable). Right now the camera follows the character perfectly, keeping them in the middle of the screen, but that's easy to fix.

The main problem is I don't know if I want to make a game with grid-based movement or procedurally generated caverns. It was just something to do.

Thanks, this sounds like a good solution!

Welcome, dont let any nodevs ruin your fun

So you only get the money back if your game does well? Isn't that backwards?

How do I even decide what kind of game to make? There's a whole world of options out there. I feel overwhelmed.

I got no advice but welcome to the chain gang.

I thought about it and if we all collab on one game we could make a pretty large game very fast

I'm making the game that I'm making because I'm unsatisfied with the other entries into the genre of late.

What genre is that? Just curious. Please say 3d platformer, arcade racing game, or western style RPG.

inb4 bullet hell roguelite hybrid

How many other games of this type exist?
How would my game stand out against similar competitor?
How popular could this be?
How feasable is it for me to make this with the manpower/budget I have?
These kind of questions can help you choose

wow this guy
zero artistic integrity

Games are not art.

try /gd/?

>lurk for years
>no team
>only shitposting and falseflagging

You know what? fuck it, here I go with my Don't Starve but in Space. I guess shitty rehash game is better than no game.

of course im going smaller scope and singleplayer for now, i'm not that retarded.

Nice!

The problem is most of us use different engines or languages. So there's not really any way for us all to work together.
It would be cool if it worked though.

captain condom's looking good mate, keep it up

>inb4 bullet hell roguelite hybrid
I fucking wish I were one of the people responsible for monolith.

I'm making a 2.5D beat 'em up, I haven't posted progress because it's not to a point worth showing.

>wildly different line widths
reeeeeeee

I thought most of the devs here use Unity or Game Maker

I have a soft spot for survivally games like this. I'm looking forward to seeing the progress.
Make sure you add animal and plant farming, that's the best stuff in survival games.

----[ Recap ]----
Game: jamos
Dev: user
Tools: C, SDL, Allegro
Web: N/A

Progress:
+ Added syntax error message so I can fix my scripts easier
- Old car died (1994 Ford Fiesta)
+ Got a new car (GM Spark, white paint)
+ Refactored some of the code
+ Have a good idea and registered domain name for it
- Made a HTML5 game launcher thingo with save files (agdgminicollab.neocities.org/)

>filename
>inaugural progress wow look at that ball
You could say it's an... inaugural ball?

Depends on the focus you want to give it. After the EVERYTHING MUST BE FLAT trend people are going back to negative space, like pic related.

If you truly want to embrace the old-school look, focus on recognizable silhouettes and be creative with your dithering. Design-wise, maybe an icicle behind the words would be better than a spear.

Games without art are not successful.

>inb4 muh dwarf fortress or minecraft shit
After 6 years you still can't think of anything else than them, which further proves my point. They're just exceptions played by autists.

>C, SDL, Allegro
are you me

There's a difference between having art assets and being art. Do you say video games are "music" for having music tracks?

That's not how it works user.

>Not being able to pick any language or engine in a week
Do you even code?

Choice of Robots is a choose-your-own-adventure with stats. It has literally zero graphics and 40k sales on Steam alone and is also available on Android and Apple devices.

I think the problem is people not compromising because of lack of monetary or sentimental insentive.

I've seen groups in this general disband after a whole year of work literally because "he never logged in again" or "he's busy with life"

again, the game launcher isn't actually html5 it is just .hta (vbscript + javascript in ie6 app frame), I integrated it with newgrounds highscores system

You from a different dimension? I don't know, I put allegro to run on top of SDL so I use the allegro API but it has only SDL build deps.

Hey niggers, I try to use texture paint in Blender and it just doesn't work.
I've followed a tutorial and set up my windows and nodes exactly the same as they have, yet when I try to paint in the 3D window, nothing on the texture will change.

Is there a setting my retarded ass has changed that has stopped this working or what?

Are engines useful for small games if I know how to code? I know big devs use them to reduce development cost, and some indie devs use them because they can't code, but what if I want to make small games and know how to code, what would be the pros and cons of using one?

Music is art as well.
2D drawings are art.
3D models are art.
Video games are art.

A video game is something created by a human with their creativity and imagination. So it is art.
Even the shitty little mobile games, they're like MS Paint drawings made by a child, or a child playing a recorder.

There's a wide variety of problems regarding working together for no money. They are really too many to list here.
The few instances where it works, may it be foss or small companies, is because a variety of factors are just right.

Ah, I'm using Allegro 4.x, SDL 1.2 and SDL 2.0 for different builds of my game. I wrote an API to work with each of them. I was just surprised, I've never seen anyone else put those 3 tools in their recap besides me.

You'll spend more time in theory making your game with something that definitely works, but perhaps not in a way you find intuitive in every aspect.

If you decide to make your game engine yourself then you have something that would presumably look impressive to any future employers, you might learn something, but you might also spend so much time enginedevving that you get bored halfway through and never implement your game.

Glad to see you're making progress.

I suck at beat-em-ups but I wish you success.

Here's a pretty big compilation of stuff that would be useful for gamedev I found.
xen-dance.tumblr.com/post/157456280372/xens-game-dev-resource-compilation

Oh right,

I used allegro 4.x but then I had a problem debugging it on windows it would freeze the keyboard and the mouse whenever I hit a breakpoint.

So I looked at how allegro implements platform drivers and then wrote a version that used sdl 1.2 to implement the allegro functions such as install_keyboard, set_gfx_mode, etc.

The game itself just uses the allegro API directly.

Thanks, we'll find out whether I suck at making them.

Pros of using an engine:
It's still faster than making the game yourself, even if it's a small game. Many tedious things are already done in the engine. It's easy to export to multiple operating systems and devices without worrying about having to code for differences yourself. It's also usually easier to incorporate multiple input methods.

Cons of using an engine:
You have to learn the engine and how it works. Not all engines will fit your workflow or how you like to structure a game. Engines are made to be general purpose, so if you have mechanics that are highly specialized and need to be deeply ingrained in the game, it might be harder to do in an engine, and may end up needing a hacky solution (although this is a very rare problem to run into).

Really depends on the game.

Wow, that's real neat. If it mainly uses allegro 4.x, have you considered building your game for DOS? People tend to think I'm crazy but it's the main reason I'm using Allegro 4

Still messing around with this idea. Slum town music for a fantasy western RPG clyp.it/ucdqdchz

I like it, the melody reminds me of Chrono Trigger, although the pizzicato on the strings make me think of The Sims.

Why isn't Source in the OP? Is Source not suitable for making indie games?

Which dev has the best female mc?

>the melody reminds me of Chrono Trigger

Wow, thanks.

>The Sims

The story isn't very serious in tone at this point. It's more that the main character has no business being where they are.

Hmm, it might not be possible anymore because I've changed some of the allegro 4.x source code to fix some issues, and to put my engine callback inside of do_dialog so that the filechooser doesn't hang my program and stuff. So I can't really use stock allegro anymore, and I removed the DOS stuff, so I'd have to add it back in. But the DOS stuff used assembly directly which I don't really understand.

So basically I could do it but it wouldn't be as full featured as it used to be because I'd have to follow some tutorials to do VGA in djgpp and stuff like that. That said my game uses 40megs of RAM so far so the dos computer would have to have lots of RAM.

yes, only professional game developers use Source™ Engine

What do you all think of the idea of a colony management game a la Dorf Fort or RimWorld, but with heavy horror tones and an even greater emphasis on the characters' psychology?

Item pickup dialog is working. However the inventory code is pretty lazy at the moment and it just places the item in the first available slot, not rotating it or checking its width/height, so it will often overlap items. That code has a long ways to go, as I'd like it to automatically check rotations and find the best fit for the item

I like it, but I can't picture it being slum town background music. its too upbeat mood. sounds more like a comfy and bustling merchant town, or port, or something

oh god damn yes

>Only play games of genre X, Y and Z
>Only want to make games of genre A, B and C
Anyone else know this feel

Are you animating these yourself?
The movement needs to be more dynamic. Study fight scenes. Even stand up in your room and act the movements out yourself.

lol

Atleast he knows now.

This unity asset store stuff? If you made it from scratch, solid work.

Good art style, reminds me of Mario Galaxy graphics. Add a 'mid air animation', as his legs still look like they are running.

Really depends entirely on the look and feel of your game. Can you post a screenshot?

I think you are on the right track. Keep developing your random ideas. Do whats fun. Eventually you will stumble on some cool game mechanics etc that you can build on.

Solid work. That looks dope. Are you a full time game dev?

I'm working on a handful of game projects atm.
One is a Grand Theft Auto type game, but rated G/PG. I still want violence, drugs and hookers in it, but spin it in such a way that kids could play it.

> its too upbeat mood. sounds more like a comfy and bustling merchant town, or port, or something

The character has been there for three years and has just learned of an opportunity that might lead them out of what they feel is their own personal hell. They're earning their keep in a shitty bar, and have to find ways to steal enough money to make it to the opportunity.

I really like it.

I can see that being a good game. Although I'm not a fan of horror, so I wouldn't play it.

How's this?

>Solid work.
Thanks user
> Are you a full time dev?

At the moment yeah, but only since I just moved and am job hunting. Got a call back for an interview today though so hurraaaay