Subaru

Is there any real advantage to a boxer configuration??

Other urls found in this thread:

racingcardynamics.com/weight-transfer/
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Engine_balance#Four_cylinder_engines
twitter.com/AnonBabble

Nope.
An aluminum I4 would do the same job better.

Engine length. Subaru uses an AWD system which positions the engine very far forward, so a shorter engine basically means less understeer.
Audi uses a similar drivetrain layout, but inline-4, V6 and V8 engines and their one defining handling trait is terminal understeer.

Nope. The low center of gravity is a meme. All they make is econoboxes so it's not like that matters.

stroke length matters.

shape matters if it changes the natural balance

I wouldn't say better. I'd say they're the same, and the only difference is weight.

Engine length and center of gravity

>All they make is econoboxes
Wew lad

Lighter is better.
Engine length is a bullshit excuse.
Pic related is 5cyl fwd

Lighter, simpler, easier to service, less parts to fail, less weight in front of and over the wheels.
Just all around better.

Bullshit meme.

u from el paso?

The Legend and Vigor have a diff next to the oil pan, which means they had to raise the engine and therefore the CoG. Same with Nissan's ATTESA system.
On Subaru's (and Audi's) drivetrains the front driveshafts come straight out the sides of the transmission.

So?

Both layouts are compromises, they just compromise on different things.

so you guys like understeer eh

What does understeer have to do with boxer engines?

weight on the wheels is good for a fwd. that's why I won't say one is better than the other.

subaru never managed to put their engines behind the front axle

those overhangs are really triggering

>tubo

Lower center of gravity, shorter/lighter engine when compared to inline variants of the same displacement/cylinder count.

Porsches have their engines behind the rear axle, yet, they have been smoking everything in the past decades.

probably because the engine is behind the REAR axle you dumb retard

Leaking oil.

Its not lower COG.
Its higher and more spread out than I4 engines.

thats the best place for an engine since acceleration torques the frame sending the already heavy back tires into the ground and you gain grip.

It is.
If the block (which holds the majority of the mass) is lower, then the CoG is also lower.

>they have been smoking everything in the past decades.
Seems like they've been getting finger-banged everywhere they, the corvette and 458/488 Ferrari have met to the point where they are now moving the engine forward on the racing 911 to create an MR.

>The low center of gravity is a meme
If they actually put the engine in the back like a boxer should then it wouldn't be.
But they chose to put it in the front and the car still needs to steer so fuck you logic.

The block isnt lower. I can go out to my forester right now and visibly see how high and spread out it is.
Where as he block in my truck sits FAR lower and more CENTERED in the engine bay

Because a Forester is the same thing as a truck.

They rotated the engine and gearbox around the rear wheels, to create room for the diffuser. The majority of the weight is still at the rear.

I'm talking about the block itself, not where it sits. The block itself has a lower CoG.
Second, the more mass you can keep lower, will make the load spread less and will give better turning capabilities.

racingcardynamics.com/weight-transfer/

Also, your comparison makes no sense. Compare a S2000 and a WRX, the WRX doesn't need to have the engine sitting any lower, considering the engine itself already has a lower CoG.

>They rotated the engine and gearbox around the rear wheels, to create room for the diffuser. The majority of the weight is still at the rear.
Semantics. Where is the engine in relation to the transaxle?

An engine in a vehicle isnt the same as an engine in a vehicle
Ok tardo
Are you retarded?
Youre contradicting yourself and all logic.
The horizontal line is NOT lower than the vertical line.
Moron.
The vertical line is more centered AND lower.

It's not as simple as that. The rules demand that the engine stays on the same compartment the roadcar uses. That's why Astons and Vetted are shoving their engines far back, as long as it's still on the same compartment.
Ferrari's have a different gearbox assembly, the engine is closer to the middle of the car on them.

You're comparing a truck to a SUV, man. Come on now.

Except the engine block sits lower, what you're seeing up top is the intake manifold. Not to mention the engine bay of your truck is probably much deeper than that of the Forester, making it appear as if the engine is set lower.

The block is inline with the heads. Its not magically lower. Its high as shit.
What do you want me to compare it to? A miata?
Miata block sits lower and more centered too

>It's not as simple as that. The rules demand that the engine stays on the same compartment the roadcar uses.
I'm not talking about the FIA rules. Is the engine in front of the transxaxle or behind it?
If it's in front, it's a MR car.

The top of the block is in line with the top of the transmission, as are the heads. All that shit up top is intake.
Pic related, the heads are buried way in there.

Compare pic related with

Youre fucking retarded.
>hey guys did you know a V engine makes your car lean all the time?
>even though it sits LOWER and more centered
>and an I4 makes your car lean the other way

Have you finished college? You talk about concepts you don't fully comprehend.

Oh look. Miata engine is lower and more centered.
Huh... imagine that

The WRX has the intake manifold on TOP of the engine assembly AND a top-mount intercooler. All while the hood of the car is still at the same height as that of a normal compact - you do the math.

We're talking about the CoG, not the crank.

>inline-type has most of engines mass on the right side of the car
>car sags on left

Wat

>which direction is the car cornering?

The Miata's cylinder head sticks up well above the wheels.
In the WRX, the heads are between the wheels and the intake manifold and intercooler stick up where the cylinder head would be on an inline engine.

Yeah. The engine is centered, and not spread out all over the place in front of and over the axles.
Jesus fuck.
Subaru propaganda.
If you want a good laugh, google subaru engine placement

I'm having a good laugh at your posts already.

My family has been driving foresters/outbacks for years. The best thing about the boxer engine is it's stupid easy to work on and hard AF to kill.

Yes, low center of gravity and increased wear on the lower part of the piston sleeves. Makes for a nice rebuild in 6 years time, which they know you wont pay for, and will buy another brand new shitbaru

What's that, don't the horizontal heads make them harder to work on than inline or v configuration?

less vibration

only if getting to the gaskets

Boxers are to reciprocating engines as to what rotaries are to combustion engines. Just a meme to stick out from the other, only difference is that Mazda didn't have daddy Toyota's money to pay off all complaints of the engine.

>Lower COG.
>Takes up less room above and in front of engine.
>Less vibrations.

That's sort of it. I don't like how they limit suspension configurations and need more cams (4cyl), but they have a place in the performance world.

>if
It's a Subaru. You mean when right

Maybe if you're a typical WRX owner, but we've only had a blown head gasket on 1 of 7 foresters/outbacks. Only ever had to scrap them after accidents.

Why not just put the engine in the other way?

That'd make AWD really hard, as you'd have to run a driveshaft through (or alongside, or below) the engine.

like a saab 90? because changing the belt sucks

I think old awd BMWs have the same system too.

Yes, except there's a massive clusterfuck of hydraulic lines everywhere and the engine is a V6 nicked from Maserati.

ITT a bunch of retards that think Subaru is the only manufacturer to use boxer engines.

said nobody here

rip

Mid engined and even rear engined Porsches have awd, it should be doable.

Only rear-engined Porsches have AWD, unless you're talking about the 918 which uses electric motors for the front.
The AWD 911s actually use a drivetrain layout that's very similar to Subaru's/Audi's, but reversed.

>Saab

Ayyyy

Should have said mid engined cars and Porsches. Like the R8.

I think the R8 has a driveshaft running below the engine.

The most over-complicated way to do an AWD system is probably the R35 GT-R, with the transmission in the back like a Porsche 944 or Corvette, but instead of sending all the power straight to the rear wheels it also has a driveshaft running to the front diff. All in the name of perfect 50/50 weight distribution.

Hardly complicated. They just made the shaft between the engine and the transmission really long.

Probably should've said "inefficient". The power's getting sent all the way to the back, split between axles, then sent all the way to the front again.

Not really any more inefficient than bolting up the transmission and transfer up to the engine.

And it's better for economy than full time AWD with a center differential. If the transfer case is at zero lock the car is purely RWD.

compared to all the forces an engine experiences i think gravity is negligeable

It's not complicated or inefficient, it just triggers autists

Could've at least called me an assmad gm fangirl.

That's referring to torque twist you idiots

Motherfucker you had best be trolling.

Headgasket sales

It allows them more room for a good transmission and center differential, thus giving the car fully-mechanical AWD without making the car longer or over-complicating / weakening the AWD system.

Boxers are easier to engineer to avoid penetrating the car's firewall in a crash.

This makes no sensor by itself, a V4 would be the same length.

And be more centered

You again? lol

True, but also consider that flat-4 engines have very good harmonics and don't require a lot of balancing.

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Engine_balance#Four_cylinder_engines

Huh?

A V4 has balance issues the flat 4 wouldn't.

V4s a shit. only italians and communists use V4s

I don't know if this applies to cars at all but boxer engines in the world of motorcycles are amazing because the horizontal cylinder configuration makes them insanely easy to work on. A full on valve inspection and adjustment can literally be done in under 10 minutes whereas a traditional inline 4 engine would require 2~ hours for an experienced mechanic.

Of course they aren't practical because you don't want two huge jagged pieces of metal sticking out of your motorcycle - but they look cool and are great to wrench on

They're worse for cars since the heads are up against the wheel wells. Makes something like changing sparkplugs quite an event.

On most Subarus since ~2004 you don't have to drop/lift the motor to swap plugs anymore.

V4 would have a higher center of gravity compared to a flat-4 and usually needs balance shafts to have an acceptable smoothness for consumer cars.

Along with this, Subaru have been using their flat-4 engines for a very long time, even before AWD became standard on their cars, so they have invested a lot of engineering and R&D into that particular type of engine - it'd be financially stupid to throw all that out and do something else that gives, at best, marginal benefits.

I don't know of any SOHC subaru engines that require moving the engine to get at the spark plugs, on most you can just take out a couple of items in the engine bay (washer fluid bottle, battery) and have easy access to them.

Some of the DOHC ones are a real cunt to do, though. I'm pretty sure the BR-Z/GT86 engine requires lifting to get at them, at least.

Can confirm, single cam Subaru's are piss easy to do plugs on unless the last guy overtightened them and they strip the heads coming out.