Can I buy a good motorcycle for $1,000?

Can I buy a good motorcycle for $1,000?

I just need something to ride back and forth to work overnight. My car just hit 100k miles and I know that is the turning point when major things start needing to be replaced and fixed. Got $1,000 to spare and want to get a bike but don't know anything about them.

Other urls found in this thread:

louisville.craigslist.org/i/motorcycles
louisville.craigslist.org/mcy/6059174738.html
louisville.craigslist.org/mcy/6054622819.html
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

Just put the thousand in your car maintenance account dummy is not going burn a hole in your pocket

Pretty much in the same boat as you lad, all the motorcycles I've seen under $2000 are "needs some work NO LOWBALLERS" which usually include the engine being seized or need new wheels and brakes which brings the total up another $2000 anyway just to get it running.

I was looking to get one just to save on gas, but in reality it's more economical to just go with what said and keep up to date with your major services

yes. if you know what you're looking for you can get a decent running 80s honda for $600-700

are they using that poor doggo as a shield?

Link me your local Craigslist I'll find you a suitable motorcycle for your budget

You'll spend more money maintaining the bike over its lifetime than you would a car.

For alot of bikes, Tires have to replaced every ~5-7K, good tires are no less than $100 a tire. Chains/sprockets have to lubed regularly adjusted, and be replaced every 10k, Valves have to be adjusted almost every other year, If carbed, the Carb will have to be cleaned regularly, + all the other shit I'm forgetting needs regular checks on.

On top of that, no heat, no AC, no radio, no roof over your head when it rains, and no frame around you if some fucknut pulls out in front of you.

Speaking of which if you value your life and limbs you'll be spending no less than $700 on proper gear, you should wear ALL GEAR ALL THE TIME.

All that being said, I love the shit out of my bikes, and ill probably always have one, but unless you live in a 3rd world shithole, they are a luxury item if you can't afford to do most of the work yourself.

>louisville.craigslist.org/i/motorcycles
>Thanks in advance for looking user, if you do!

What kind of motorcycle are you interested in? Something bland that will just get you from Point A to Point B or are you also interested in the performance aspect of sport bikes (only reason to be into motorcycles IMO, otherwise everything said is 100% true and you'd be better off just getting a Miata which can be had for $2k-$3k and will offer significantly more luxuries)

No the doggo is using them as carrying slaves and bullet sponges so it can get its toy back from the bad guys inside.

Anything that would most likely run fine from point A to B. I wouldn't care much about the look or performance as long as it can do 100+ mph fine? Is 100mph easy on bikes? I just wanna go fast on the highways at 2:30 AM on my way to work for fun. But mostly just a cheap motorcycle that runs good enough for A to B and can also go at least 100mph or so no problems.

How much should I weigh? I'm 120lbs, is that too skinny to hold up a proper bike? But I guess all the cheap bikes will be small and less heavy so I shouldn't have a problem there right?

Also don't want to get another car, I already put too much money and time into my current car.

Thanks again sir.

what a good boy

Most cruisers and any thing less than 500cc will have a hard time doing 100mph anything else will do it fine.

Both of my bikes are in the 400-500lb range, and that's sorta light end of the scale when it comes to bikes. Cheap doesn't necessarily mean lightweight either.

What you're probably looking for is a cruiseror an old UJM. An Old 700cc Virago, Suzuki Intruder, or Honda CB would be that sort of thing.

One other thing, you know how to use a clutch right?

>What you're probably looking for is a cruiseror an old UJM. An Old 700cc Virago, Suzuki Intruder, or Honda CB would be that sort of thing.
louisville.craigslist.org/mcy/6059174738.html

Something like that?

I'll keep those other models in mind and look around some more.

Don't know how to use a clutch either

louisville.craigslist.org/mcy/6054622819.html
shaft drive is nice
might get it up to 100 depending on condition

Tactical dog is.....

>tacticool

It will probably cost you at least half that to get quality motorcycle training.

You need to get motorcycle training, they are nothing like a car. If you don't have a lot of dirt-bike experience, then you will make lots of dumb mistakes and probably drop the bike a few times. You should get training and screw up on a school's before you think about buying your own.

For 1000$ you can't be picky.

Try to get an old sport bike. You can probably get a 90's model for close to that if it's been dropped a few times and is already beat up.

I've had three of my four bikes for less than a grand. Here's my thoughts
>Usually one or multiple of the indicators will have an issue
>80s jap bikes were extremely stout, and fairly straightforward to work on
>Handling is meh but the rider is really what matters
>Your better off buying a dirt cheap bike that was running when parked, or had an engine that has compression and turns over. Odds are you'll need to just clean out the carbs, out a new battery in and change the plugs and put fresh gas in
>Old tires NEED to be replaced
>Honda is good
I can answer questions if needed

I love how your solution to not having to spend money on your car is to spread what little income you have out over two vehicles.

As much as I love my bikes, what you need isn't a bike in addition to your car. That's just compounding your problems.

Either sell your current car and buy a bike only, or sell your car and buy a cheaper car you can afford to maintain.

Do not do both.

How is the honda interceptor 500

Terrible for a first project bike.

Working on 4 carbs will be a pain in the ass, but taking four carburetors out of a narrow angle v4, with ancient rubber holding them on is self torture. Look for a v twin or an i2 or at the most a triple.

There's a reason those v4 Hondas are so cheap while having such good performance

only a viable idea if you already have a decent outfit of protective gear

quality gear is key to both safety and comfort when riding.

You are a retard, having the money to fix it does not get it instantly fixed

>full leathers in the summer sun
Totally comfortable

hehehe aw.

I got a running XL185s for $250.
I could have just started riding it, but i chose to rip it apart and rebuild everything.
Cost me about $250.
So for $500 ill have a small runabout bike

Is there any pros of owning an motorcycle over a car besides gas mileage? Is maintenance less costly, insurance?

less shit to go wrong, too

navigates around traffic

fun and can get chixxx

>car is in good shape at 99,999 miles
>rolls over to 100,000
>suddenly need a replacement vehicle because it will break down

>I want to save on car repair costs
>by riding a cheap motorcycle

>My car just hit 100k miles and I know that is the turning point when major things start needing to be replaced and fixed
According to who? The sales guy trying to get you into a brand new car on finance?

If you keep on top of normal maintenance and check your oil / water weekly you should be fine. No reason a normal car can't hit 200k+ fairly easily. Even if you do need to spend a bit of cash on it now and then, it is still cheaper than buying a new car 99% of the time.

Keep the car or buy a used scooter. insurance is $90/year, tires $60 for two, gas is $3 a week. oily every 2/3k miles.

Maintenance is more costly, non-comprehensive is way more cheaper, but comprehensive can easily be double what a normal car's is.

If you get in an a low speed accident usually you won't damage the frame, however if you fuck your fairings up you can easily total it that way.

Where the fuck do you live?

more fun, easier to work on yourself

How is 1989 cbr250r?