youtube.com/watch?v=GWbz_mIAShM
isaedor.bandcamp.com/releases
clyp.it/bnmlcby4
youtube.com/watch?v=0U0Lh8-apvc
firgof.gamejolt.io/metanoia/
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Right-hand_rule#Coordinates
tinysubversions.com/spelunkyGen/
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

No matter how shitty you think the writing in your game might be, it can't be worse than Night in The Woods

previous thread is actually here

is it possible to make a MMO with unity or game maker as a indie dev? Or are we just cucked to doing simple RPGs with small multiplayer elements?

Did it really end up so shit? I remember the trailer showed a very clear style and vision, hard to imagine them fucking up.

You can network a simple game to a server (think RotMG), you can't make WoW.

Just why the fuck are there so many retards here who think an indie MMO is even remotely viable?

Fable has three ability paths: Strength, skill and will.
Strength focuse on melee, physical power and endurance.
Skill focuses on ranged,agility and mobility.
Will focuses on magic.

In combat you get experiance based on what you use.
eg. use only melee and you get three general experience to use in any path and seven strength experience that can only be spent in that path.

I watched someone play through it and it's exactly what I expected it to be based on the trailer: all style, no substance. Shitty boring characters, shitty boring story that ends with a giant fucking expository dump at the end just to explain something, and there's next-to-no gameplay.

While not an MMO, I'm curious to see how many connections my game can realistically handle. I've only tried a couple so far. Hoping to get a decent stress test going on some demo day.

Because it is

I WANT TO FUCK PIXELMEME GIRL

> giant flying windmill attacks castle

because WoW started off as a project in someones garage before taking off.

Ah perfect, I was thinking about world boss ideas.

Grimrock 2 gave each character a few skills depending on the class. Stuff like acrobatics, light weapons mastery, fire magic, etc.
Each skill went from 0 to 5, and every time you levelled up you'd get a skill point to spend.
For example, let's say heavy weapon mastery. Each point you spent on that, gives you +X% chance to hit with heavy weapons. On top of that, there were some "special rewards". At level 2 mastery you could attack from the back of the party with a heavy weapon, and at mastery level 5 you could wield a 2 handed weapon in one hand.
Then there were weapons with special requirements (2 h weapon mastery needed to wield), and weapons with special attacks, like, for example, earthquake bash, that also had skill requirements.

Mix that with a bunch of different skills for each class, different weapons and magic with a lot of requirements, and you get a really customizable upgrade system.

I really, really liked it, and I'm not a huge fan of rpgs

Nothing like some progress to end a busy day !! What are you working on user? Demo day is only 14 days away and I can't wait to play your game!

can I publish not a game to demoday
I have made 0 progress on my for real game

cubes made of laser.

Jam game ideas, give them to me

That actually sounds really nice.
Thanks for the info.

Also, does Grimrock 1 have something similar or did it do things different?

What do you mean?
Uploading anything but a game is a huge disservice for everyone, I like to download all demos but will you
waste my time making me download some shit that isn't a game?

Viable/possible is not the same thing as practical. Indie MMO is possible and viable, but not practical. You need atleast a small team for a MMO to actually take off.

Minecraft is actually a MMO in the sense that a server can actually hold thousands of players at one time, mojang is just too retarded to optimize for such a player capacity so you only get servers with a few hundred at a time instead.

Gameshow jam?

It could be a basic gameshow format or action oriented like smash tv

wasn't maple story started by a group of indie devs?

amazing

It's a gamedev tool
that's totally fair tho, maybe I'll upload it at the same time and just not submit it to the jam page

youtube.com/watch?v=lGar7KC6Wiw

I think that would be most appropriate.

What does the tool do?

>Dodgeball Deathmatch.webm

Grimrock 1 had a system with a similar idea, but worse. It's not even worth explaining.
I like grimrock 1 more than 2, because it feels more like a dungeon crawler compared to the open world-ness of the second one. But the skill system in 2 is top notch.

You can give it a try without having played the first one, for research. they don't really connect story wise [ACTUAL SPOILER]until the ending.

>SquareDev wants to code
Made me think of something.

Why do artists still want to code in collab? Isn't the point of a collab to split the work?

He's not the first, I've met plenty of artists who wished they could find someone to work with because 'coding is a pain' but yet they still want to do coding for the game. I don't get it.

Aight, I'll probably give 2 a go for reasearch purposes later then.

Trust issues.

It's easier to prototype something if you don't have to wait somebody else

artists will write shitty code to see how their art looks in-engine, and programmers make shitty art to test new mechanics

I intend to express my love for the late '80s/early '90s sitcom Golden Girls (and celebrate its availability on Hulu) by means of a first-person dungeon crawl fan game where you play as the girls and fight classic D&D monsters and Lovecraftian horrors (plus the cast of Seinfeld) using one liners and curling irons.

youtube.com/watch?v=GWbz_mIAShM

test

>that melodramtic stumble

What would be the classes?

cool tumblr-bait game, you might make some good money

this is hilarious

Not sure just yet. I'm still kind of brainstorming right now.
>money
It's based on an IP I don't own. I can't sell it. Also, tumblr-bait? It's a good show. I'm not making it to try and get fans from a specific website.

>The brutal execution while on his knees.

You are making a beautiful game user.

>going to gamedev
>just shitpost and browse internet all day
>realize only time I ever get work done is when I leave the house and work in a public setting
>literally need incentive at the end of every session in order to get work done
>can't bring desktop computer to cafe or library though
>plus poor as shit and have nothing to really rewards myself with afterwards (i.e. can't just say "I'm going to go get some shitty fast food after my session!)
>tfw
What do I even do?

>first-person dungeon crawl fan game where you play as the girls and fight classic D&D monsters and Lovecraftian horrors (plus the cast of Seinfeld) using one liners and curling irons.
that's fucking tumblr bait if I ever heard it

>ironic le funny random xD setup
check
>le retro 90s seinfield jokes and ironic liking golden girlds XD
check
>le lovecraftesque HORROR SO BAD ITLL MAKE U GO CRAZZYYY D:
check

bait

This place is awful.

>ironic le funny random XD setup
I want to make a dungeon crawler for the experience and practice making a bigger game.
>le retro 90s seinfeld jokes
Seinfeld was extremely important to the development of the sitcom in terms of the better ones around today.
>ironic liking golden girlds XD
I'm not being ironic. It's actually an entertaining show.
>le lovecraftesque HORROR SO BAD ITLL MAKE U GO CRAZYYY D:
I don't intend to include an insanity mechanic. I just think weird slithering tentacled creatures are cool and creepy.

Lighten up.

Yup.

fish

I'm rebooting my low-fi wolfinstein clone that uses some homecooked primordial reverse-ray-casting technique to project the world.

alright, enjoy making reddit: the game

phil?

Anyone looking for a composer?

I want to get into composing music for games, I'm fully capable!

What DAW do you use?

99% Ableton, 1% Milkytracker

I'm talking about the ones looking for collabs precisely, not 1MA.

If you're looking for a collab what's the point of doing everything?

Sorry I only collab with FL Studio guys.

No worries pal

>Milkytracker
My nigger
I fucking love trackers

Post soundcloud/bandcamp/etc.

Anyone doing sci fi / cyberpunk type game and need music?

Why does everyone like to pretend that handedness doesn't matter? It's true that you can convert between them in a fairly trivial way, but if you have an engine of any significant size it's very important to pick one and stick with it, or things get very confusing. Even more so if you support both OGL and D3D.

Also, why is right-handedness the standard outside of D3D? The screen (ignoring stereoscopy) looks like a window into another world; things don't pop out of it, they sink into it. Z = increasing depth makes way more sense.

Okay, well I make tonnes of music but I'll just post the shit that's relevant to this thread.

Here is my RPG-esque stuff

isaedor.bandcamp.com/releases

Something I was working on today, not really finished yet
clyp.it/bnmlcby4

So after three days of brain storming and prototyping of a way to generate high quality random maps, I'm wondering if the idea is even worth it.

Are random maps a good feature? Is consistency better for a player than the possible replayability he might have?

I'm getting the feeling this is a waste of time and I should design levels by hand.

Ok, you give me money, and I'll make a game for you, deal?

did you switch topics there or am I missing something, because I'm not seeing the link between dominant hand and 3D direction

either is fine if done well.

Depends entirely on whether randomly placed elements in your environment have a reasonable likelihood of interacting in novel, interesting, or surprising ways. Procgen is at its best when the elements that comprise it make something greater than the sum of their parts.

I wouldn't mind contracting your services for my game if you're not busy. The audience I'm aiming for is big in to classic-sounding game soundtracks (Betrayal at Krondor, etc) so this sort of style could go pretty nice with what I'm putting together.

If you're unfamiliar, here's a YT link to BaK's soundtrack.
youtube.com/watch?v=0U0Lh8-apvc

If you'd like a bit more on the game I'm working on (though the site isn't fully done yet): firgof.gamejolt.io/metanoia/

>brain storming and prototyping
Or, you could research into games that have already done it succesfully like Spelunky.
Although it depends on what type of game you have.

Procedural generation works well if and only if the entire game is designed around it. It works spectacularly in Spelunky, for instance. That game would quickly get boring as hell without it. Same for most roguelikes; random levels means the sense of exploration never runs out.

They make less sense in a story based game or one that's otherwise supposed to be cinematic/guided.

random maps are good

and custom maps are good

personally i think nothing can beat by hand but its time consuming

for instance black rock depths from warcraft is infinitely more interesting compared to any randomly generated map

however it might suffer from repeated play through which make randomly generated better
for things such as rogue likes or something of that nature

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Right-hand_rule#Coordinates
Basically: Given X=right and Y=up, should Z mean in or out?

Is it easier to get followers on twitter than tumblr for your game? I'm getting real tired of Tumblr's political bullshit being shoved up my ass.

Twitter has political bullshit too
Also I'd use both

>Tumblr's political bullshit being shoved up my ass.
I've never had problems with Tumblr. What the fuck are you doing?

Veeky Forums also can't escape the political bullshit

it's just that it matches your views so you don't get triggered

>realise that my attempt at making a generic enemy system has a whole bunch of problems making weirder enemy systems and I might need to make custom enemy types as well

Because if your coordinate system is X,Y,Zup, it is right handed, as 1,0,0 x 0,1,0 = 0,0,1. And it is what mathematicians have been doing for decades and is most natural, since it allows to easily draw things like f(x,y)=z.
When these faggots came out and said "ah but what if we imagine X as the bottom border of the screen and Y as up and Z as going into the screen" anyone who did math wanted to kill them.

Random maps can be good if you need a lot of content with not much manpower. However, you need to make them well, obviously.

My random map generator is decent in my opinion, but being random occasionally makes maps that are really bad, as well as maps that are very good.

Seems like everyday the "staff" has shit on my feed about muh refugees, muh blacks, muh trannies. It would be nice if I could just block that stuff from appearing.

Nobody calling my game sexist tough

this is the folly of your ways

black people trannys and refugees BUY games

your shooting yourself in the foot t b h

not him but that has nothing to do with annoying spam in your feed

half of it is stupid ads, and not real "ads" that can be blocked by adblock but ads for tumblr things or sponsored posts

twitter does it too, though.

If you're looking for a website with no political bullshit, I have just the thing:

>another kiwi
>auklander
Figures.

you can unfollow them, which I realized just now.

>bitch about shit you don't want in your feed
>didn't even think to do literally the first thing you do to shit you don't want in your feed
Jeeeesus Christ.

I was attempting that but it seemed far more difficult then I hoped.

Totally agree. Im not sure what is better nowadays.

So I looked into spelunky and found this:
tinysubversions.com/spelunkyGen/

This is exactly the type of things I was looking for. Thanks!

Felt random was necessary due to the nature of solo deving.

>upload failed : error

Fuck off, I don't know whats wrong if your error message is generic shit hiroshimoot. I've uploaded plenty of webm's fine before and the file isn't corrupt. REEEEEEEEE.

Also I made progress no one cares about but I was going to share it anyways. I debugged my first shit.

Go post it in the "webms for other boards" thread over on

:x

I'm getting the same error and I am only trying to upload a .png of progress

Hey, you still here?

Is there any way I can contact you other than here?

I'm super interested helping out with your game.

South Island for life, woooooo!
Kidding, nice to see you.

Same with a jpg, seems Veeky Forums is having issues.

getting this as well.

ill just type my reaction images then.

Textually describe your progress images for me.

I'm turning my shallow srpg into a mix between duelyst without cards and FFX.

>Assuming that I didn't already check
>Doesn't matter if you follow them. I don't. Staff stuff is posted on feeds mandatory.
Goooooodddddd.