How is it to have a 1977 as a DD?

So I'm thinking about buying 1977 280 ZX as a daily driver.
But I have a question to the people who drive such older cars, aren't you scared that you will lose your car i.e it might get stolen?
I really want this car but that constant fear of it getting scratched or stolen will drive me nuts.

honestly a killswitch and a gun in your purse will go very far.

OP here
>pic related
btw

I live in yurope.
So a gun is a no no

What do you mean by a killswitch?

A hidden switch which kills the power to the ignition. The car cannot be started unless the switch is on. You park your car, flip the switch, and theives cannot start the car. It could be towed, but not driven away

I'd be more worried about reliability. I had a '73 240z in 2000; it wasn't all that old back then but it broke all the time. I can only imagine what another 15 years does to all the old rubber and electronics.

no one cares about your piece of shit that much

its more likely to break down and leave you stranded

You don't DD something this old anymore unless you want to dedicate 100 of your time fixing it ot completely rebuilding it. Good luck finding parts, don't depend on a dealer either for shit this old.

Owning a classic import is a bit of a tougher battle. There is not as a big following as their is with the big four American auto makers (AMC included). The boomers like their domestics, little love for oldschool imports. Even in Japanese its very hard to keep old cars on the road there.

*Even in Japan

fuck my enbgrish

>You park your car, flip the switch, and theives cannot start the car.

Unless, of course, they find the switch

You have a point, well I'm just going to take the bus to university, and drive this baby on the weekends.

Sounds good. It lived this long, cherish it and drive it sparingly, but enough to keep it cycled with its fluids. Cars don't like to sit.

I dont know what piece of shit car the other poster got but i can tell you from firsthand experience, I've been dailying a 77 280z(not zx by the way, zx's didnt come out till 79) for 2 years now and have had very few mechanical issues. sure stuff will need replacing, but if you picked up a solid car, its very unlikely you're going to have many serious issues.

So you hide the switch.

Yeah I was quite surprised when somebody said that the L28 was unreliable. I heard that the engine is the last thing to worry about in these cars.
But due to retarded gas prices I'll keep the thing as a weekend driver.

Don't listen to these retards they don't know what they are talking about. I own a 280z and drive it often, the car is very reliable and the l28 is one hell of a tough engine that is capable of revving to 8k rpm and taking it like a champ. Outside of regular maintenance just freshen up the suspension parts and you will be able to drive this car as much as you like. Look for rust when you are buying one... As far as theft goes make sure all the locks and keys work properly because they could be worn from all the years...
If for some reason you live in a shitty area get theft insurance on the car and install one of those alarms that has a secondary battery and a GPS locator. Personally I don't even roll my windows up most of the time when the car is left alone.

Parts and aftermarket for s30 are very easy to come by and prices for parts are also affordable.
Have some idea of what you are talking about before adding in your 2cents next time.

Do you feel comfortable driving your Z over long distances, say, over 200 miles?

Yeah sure, longest drive I've gone on was about 5 hours of highway driving. The stock seats are comfortable enough and its nice to cruise in.

I drive a beat to shit 86 300zx. Coupled with the fact it's stick no one wants to be anywhere near it let alone steal it even though mechanically it's in excellent condition and hasn't failed me yet. You'll probably be ok.

> the l28 is one hell of a tough engine

I've pulled apart 200k mile l28's that still had cross hatching in the cylinders from the factory hone.

These engines don't wear at all.

No you have 20 kill switches that must all be flipped in a very precise order else the engine becomes kill and must be rebuilt in order to try again.

If you want to go through the trouble you can set up a system that interrupts the sparkplug or injector wire (the main one after the fuse before it splits off) if the clutch or brake is pressed without the key in run or something. All it would take is a relay and cut the on wire and run the coil leads through it (so it energizes the relay when in run) and cut the spark/injector wire and run it though the normally open leads (so the circuit is open with no key but closed with the key in). You could also do a kill switch for the fuel pump and/or the one you didn't do an interupter on for extra security.
>God awful diagram related

I used to DD my 74' Subaru, besides it's inaccurate fuel Guage (sometimes run out of gas) it never was hard to travel in.

Never had an issue with theft. Kuat locked the doors. Ita also a 4speed manual so I'm guessing fewer people could drive it.

Good thing is the key is so old you need to know how to turn it in the right position or the car doesn't start.

Given what I read, owning an older car in Japan looked to be a real pain in the butt with their laws n shit. Sorry, that's the impression I had. They make it harder because their car so many cars on the roads there anyway.

Nothing against s30/s130s, but as with any other old car, you're gonna want to have a backup car for when shit breaks and nobody around you has the part you need to fix it, and shipping it from somewhere across the country is gonna take a week or more.

ive daily'd old vehicles my whole life. oldest i daily'd was my 1979 Toyota Supra way back when i was 19, it was my only vehicle for a few months back then so i had no choice. had no issues, but my only fear was it getting caught in the rain. the original owner had a tally of it seeing rain 17 times since 1979 and i didnt want to add to it. about 5 years ago the ignition module took a shit and i parked it, finally found a junkyard one and it started first crank after sitting all these years in my garage

it gets driven the odd time now. i daily a 1991 Toyota Crown and 1991 Subaru Sambar otherwise for old vehicles. ive driven the Crown from here in north Canada down to the USA and drove the Sambar on a 600km trip in -20c no issues

i had a 1981 Toyota Hilux i wanted to daily but i bought it as a basket case going to the junkyard and ending up selling it partially complete, Nissan wise i had a 88 pickup with the 2.4 electro injection engine i daily drove. thing drove me in -50c one time, never had an issue with it til the frame busted in half

>4 speed

I've got a '71 Volvo with a 4 speed and pretty short gears. It fucking screams at highway speeds.

>mfw the engine and transmission are just howling away, but the car doesn't seem to give a fuck

t.nocar

I knew a guy who rigged the car in such a way that you
>needed to flip the killswitch
>needed to turn the ac dial to full heat
>be pushing some button on the center console while turning the key

Regular maintance and nothing on an s30 will just sudenly fail.. The neat thing about this particular car is nissan built and designed these cars as race cars. They over built everything on them to withstand going around a track. The engine can take as much abuse as you can throw at it and so does the rest of the drive train. Every other system on the car is so damn simple that nothing can really go wrong. Only important thing to be done it replace the rubber parts of the suspension that would have broken down over time.

Dont rice it and it wont get stolen.
People who steal shit are stupid...
My 85. MR2 has been broken into 4 times, never stolen... anyone smart enough to know what its worth is to smart to steal shit for a living....
The first time they stole the change in the center console
Second time the 20$ walmart CD deck
3-4th time opened everything and left it alone...

where in europe you live?
lots of countries allow firearms

The thing about DDing and old car is that you gotta make sure that a break down wont cause you to lose your job or anything, IE if you cant live without a car for a few days then I wouldnt get an older car as your only car.

you could do a simple kill switch in one of the hidden compartments right behind the seat. I used to just pull the ignition rotor when i would park it over night.

I daily a '76 Triumph Dolomite in London traffic if you want to know the absolute worst case of how it will be

I dd a '76 its my first car and a project for me and my dad, and I agree here.

Shits gonna break and its entirely possible that you will break down in the middle of a busy intersection.

Hell we just got the front seats reupholstered and installed, and just about as I was gonna leave a hose popped.

And this one has 90k miles to date

Still love the car to death, lost my virginity in it.

Let me rephrase what I said
You can get guns but using them in a self defense situation will usually get you a one way business class ticket to jail

Judging by the watermark you're in Poland.
If I were you I would get a miata instead if I want a fun little car(I did exactly that).
But of you want a classic maybe try finding one of those muscle looking Opels - they might still have an aftermarket.
Although if you want to DD it just get a miata. The polish community is cool.